ImageImageImageImage

Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Re: Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22) 

Post#61 » by jonbob17 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:52 pm

I was hoping that with a year off he he could find his form, but this clip of one shot, it is the same low push shot....on the shortest of threes. While it is only one shot, you should be shooting with consistent form in shoot arounds. He could still make this shot work for him, and if he can make the wide open ones at 38% it will help, but he's not going to turn into a true threat as a shooter if this is his shot, which at this point seems it is what it is.
It really sucks when young guys with so much promise hit the low end of their projection for whatever the reason may be. His closest comp right now might be Jay Williams. Sure Fultz can still have a long nba career, but our expectations should really that if he turns into one of the best back up guards in the league we should be very happy. If he wants to hit that he really needs to put a lot of effort into the defensive end. I don't see why he can't be a very good defender...but Fultz has a LONG way to go on that end.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#62 » by LDNMagic90 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:47 pm

So over or under that Fultz plays this week?
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#63 » by JF5 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm

We just need Fultz to start playing... Should be within the next few weeks.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#64 » by Skin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 am

Bergmaniac wrote:But Fultz has never been good at getting to the line in the NBA. This is one of the main reasons I find it baffling when so many people here claim he's a great slasher. His free throw drawing rate wasn't much higher than Vucevic's dreadful one in his only healthy season. Even Fournier and Terrence "Why drive when I can chuck a jumpshot every time I get the ball" Ross had higher FTr than him.

Skin wrote:How do Fultz's critics feel about Jimmy Butler's perimeter shooting? Or Giannis?

Again with these pointless comparisons, why don't you add Shaq to the list too? Butler and Giannis play different positions, they are bigger, they are excellent defenders who get to the rim a ton. Fultz is a PG who is an average defender at best at the least impactful defensive position and doesn't get to the line much. How many PGs in the the current NBA have positive impact without at least a decent 3 point shot?

It's clear to see his ability to slash to the rim. He carves em up! Which actually goes against his ability to get to the line because he weaves through traffic rather than going straight through and drawing the foul. Maybe that's why you're baffled?

I give you credit for being the sole one among his many haters to give me a reply though. I see you went with the player position comparison as a defense. It doesn't matter. What matters is that there are different types of successful players in the NBA. There are different ways to scheme and build a successful team. Even if Fultz is the same player he was before injury, he's still a good player at his price tag (when playing). There's still plenty of meat on the salary cap bone to afford better players around him.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#65 » by fendilim » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 am

j_n wrote:
fendilim wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Go look at his stats, he is a 4 time all-star without a 3 point shot. He is in the MVP consideration with a 3 point shot, somehow developed in the last year. That still does not obviate the fact he was a multiple all-star without a 3 point shot.

The bottom line is that Fultz can be very successful with elite 2 point perimeter shooting. The question is can he be elite at 2 point perimeter shooting.
yes that is possible, but the chances of that happening is unlikely. Fultz’s mid-range game isnt even elite, nor is it even comparable to demar. Also with demar’s lack of range, he is stil more respectable from the 3point line. Not every team respects Fultz’s ability to shoot 3s, what more in big games.

I'm sure Demar didn't enter the league as an elite mid range shooter, you are basing your view on Fultz's shot on basically his rookie year

Yeah, but the difference is Demar doesnt have a broken shot.

Which makes it a lot easier for demar to be the elite shooter that he is.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#66 » by Knightro » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 am

Xatticus wrote:DeRozan's mid-range game isn't really what makes him good. His ability to get to the free throw line is. There just isn't anybody in the league whose mid-range game is enough to carry them. Fultz needs to add something significant if he is going to be a volume scorer. If the 3-point shot is broken, that's one huge avenue closed.

Totally agree here.

A common phrase you'll hear when people evaluate draft prospects is "three level scorer"

Those three levels are...

-At the rim
-At the FT line
-At the 3PT line

It seems extremely unlikely Fultz is ever going to be an effective 3 point shooter with this form. So that's one level that he doesn't have.

The problem is that he's also thus far in his career only managed a .207 FT rate.

Guys like DeRozan (.406 FT rate), Butler (.510 FT rate), Giannis (.493 FT rate) don't make threes, but they absolutely live at the FT line. More than doubling what Fultz has been able to do.

The only thing Fultz has going for him is that he's a good finisher at the rim, .650% on .325 of his total attempts.

But without an extreme uptick in FT or 3PT, he is not ever going to be a high end scorer.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,491

Post#67 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm

Skin wrote: Even if Fultz is the same player he was before injury, he's still a good player at his price tag (when playing).

He's really not. If he was a 28 year old vet putting up these stats and performances he probably would have gotten a vet minimum contract. Maybe a bit more, but certainly nothing close to the deal he got. He got paid largely for his potential. Averaging 12/5 on dreadful scoring efficiency while being a mediocre defender is certainly not worth anything close to 16 mln. per year.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Post#68 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm

During best Derozan's year he scored +460 FTs in single season. Fultz scored around 160 FTs in his entire nba career :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#69 » by jonbob17 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
Skin wrote: Even if Fultz is the same player he was before injury, he's still a good player at his price tag (when playing).

He's really not. If he was a 28 year old vet putting up these stats and performances he probably would have gotten a vet minimum contract. Maybe a bit more, but certainly nothing close to the deal he got. He got paid largely for his potential. Averaging 12/5 on dreadful scoring efficiency while being a mediocre defender is certainly not worth anything close to 16 mln. per year.

The deal looks terrible now, but at the same time the FO surely new a rebuild to some degree was coming, and they have to spend their money somewhere....a two year deal with a potential payoff for a rebuilding team is kind of a no brainer. If he gets cut after next season...what's the difference, we weren't able to bring in a vet that helps us win games during the reset? Even better we have $17M coming off the books at a time when we are ready to spend and compete...hopefully.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#70 » by Knightro » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm

I'm not blaming the front office for Fultz's blowing his knee out right after signing the extension. That part is just bad luck.

But it's perfectly acceptable to question giving a player 17M AAV when his production to that point simply never came close to justifying that price.

At least with Isaac you could say his production in 2019-2020 warranted 17M AAV. 12-7-2-2-2 with very good/elite level defense is worth that price.

But with Fultz it wasn't like that. The Magic seemingly decided to pay him on what they thought he'd become versus what he actually is, which is generally not smart business because the risk is there that the player just doesn't develop.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,491

Post#71 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm

Sure, It was a reasonable risk under the circumstances, I thought so at the time and was fine with the deal. But my point that he was paid largely for his potential and he's not worth that money if he never improves.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#72 » by jonbob17 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Sure, It was a reasonable risk under the circumstances, I thought so at the time and was fine with the deal. But my point that he was paid largely for his potential and he's not worth that money if he never improves.

Absolutely, it was risk management. The front office was weighing the cost of a what a Fultz contract would look like should he have truly broken out last year, and that the Magic would have likely had to match any contract in RFA. Something they probably believed he had a real chance at. They gave him 2 years 34M years to find out, and a third year for themselves as a discount if he did.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#73 » by Audi » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:03 pm

So nice of that guy who posted the video on Twitter to not provide any more videos of Fultz shooting any more threes, even though he has filmed multiple shootarounds since then.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive

Return to Orlando Magic