ImageImageImageImage

Cap space/trade targets this summer?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Cap space/trade targets this summer? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:56 pm

Would Lonnie Walker be a possibility? Could he have untapped 3-level, hyper-athletic scoring potential if given the keys?

What do you think of him and who else would you suggest?
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Re: Cap space/trade targets this summer? 

Post#2 » by Petre1978 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 2:47 pm

Skybox wrote:Would Lonnie Walker be a possibility? Could he have untapped 3-level, hyper-athletic scoring potential if given the keys?

What do you think of him and who else would you suggest?

Interesting player.
I like him in college at Miami.

Is he a free agent?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#3 » by cedric76 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 4:00 pm

My main hope is to go after brown if Boston explode during the playoff

Our top 5 pick +bamba +Cole for him

We need to get a legit sg ASAP
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#4 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 4:10 pm

cedric76 wrote:My main hope is to go after brown if Boston explode during the playoff

Our top 5 pick +bamba +Cole for him

We need to get a legit sg ASAP

What in the world makes you believe Boston would give up Brown for that little?

Why do some of you even bother trying?
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#5 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 4:23 pm

I like Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram as targets if we jump outside the top-2
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#6 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 4, 2022 4:57 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I like Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram as targets if we jump outside the top-2

I'm not saying these guys wouldn't be good to go after, but there are dozens of people on this board complaining about how weak this draft is and how adding more youth is such a terrible mistake, but then in the same breath suggesting that a top 5 pick in this weak draft would be a perfectly acceptable centerpiece of a trade offer for a 24/25 year old all-star?

It doesn't make sense to me.

You're not getting Brown or Ingram without Franz and multiple 1sts and probably even more than that.

It would cost so much that you'd end up with Brown or Ingram and a bunch of bums.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#7 » by zaymon » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:04 pm

Knightro wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I like Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram as targets if we jump outside the top-2

I'm not saying these guys wouldn't be good to go after, but there are dozens of people on this board complaining about how weak this draft is and how adding more youth is such a terrible mistake, but then in the same breath suggesting that a top 5 pick in this weak draft would be a perfectly acceptable centerpiece of a trade offer for a 24/25 year old all-star?

You're not getting Brown or Ingram without Franz and multiple 1sts and probably even more than that.

It would cost so much that you'd end up with Brown or Ingram and a bunch of bums.

Mentioning Franz and trade in one sentence should be insta ban.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#8 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 6:34 pm

zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Mentioning Franz and trade in one sentence should be insta ban.

That’s his point …
Skybox
RealGM

Post#9 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 4, 2022 7:03 pm

Brown and SGA are the guys I always come back to...I wouldn't give up Franz, but I'd consider Suggs depending on the rest of the package value, picks, etc...grabbing a young guy of that level would be a no-brainer (and also very unlikely from the other side).

If CHI falls apart...would we be willing to max and be married to Zach Lavine...not as sure he's a sure thing.

Last thing I want to do is max Ayton and pretend he's ever going to be Embiid...he's not.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#10 » by Max Power » Fri Mar 4, 2022 11:07 pm

I’d be thrilled if we got any of Ayton, Jaylen Brown, or Brandon Ingram. We need an offensive go-to and each of these could fill that role. I’d prefer Jaylen Brown due to our big gaping hole at the 2 spot. As for Ayton not being Embiid, sure that’s true but he’s a quality center and would be a good piece. That all being said, I like Wendell Carter at either big spot. I’d rather see us get a perimeter scorer. Lonnie Walker is an intriguing prospect.

I think the Magic are trying to become a team that’s always fiscally flexible, so Walker might be the type of guy they look to unless a 2 establishes themselves in the draft.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#11 » by The Effect » Fri Mar 4, 2022 11:27 pm

ayton in FA
Chet in the draft (id prefer jabari but i dont think we pass on chet if we have the chance)

Role into next year with a rotation of
Ayton|WC | Franz | Suggs | Fultz

With a bench of Cole, RJ, Okeke, chet, (and before anyone asks, no im not including Isaac, i dont think hes in the long term plans in that scenario)

Id put money on that team being in the playoffs next year
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#12 » by DSN1423 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:48 am

Lonnie Walker is a restricted FA with a QO of 6.3M for next year.

Spurs I believe have some cap space and can match a reasonable offer for him.

If we are to make a play for him you would be looking at something like a 3/45M front loaded deal (17,15,13 possible Team option on 3rd year) he would essentially replace Harris/Ross's roles and money. I think the Spurs would match any offer, that isn't a team taking a leap of faith on his money and potential for it to pay off.
That would also give us flexibility to resign our rookies without his money on the books down the line.

If he is a legitimate FO target, we would probably have to hope Spurs draft a Mathurin or Davis type rendering him redundant on there roster with Vassell, Johnson, Primo
Skybox
RealGM

Post#13 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:31 pm

If we dropped out of the Top 2 or 3 in the draft, do you think NYK would consider trading Barrett for our pick + Cole?

I think RJ Barrett might be just the guy we'd want to draft if he were in it...NY might value other guys in the draft more than us. I'd consider adding another (DEN or CHI) first and/or Cole (and/or others) depending on where our '22 fell. Additionally, the trade could be expanded with us taking on bad money (Fournier :o ) or pick swaps or other players (I like Grimes, maybe Reddish, maybe they'd prefer Fultz, Bamba SnT)...IF we can draft Jabari - I just do that, but if he's gone I'd certainly be listening to trade offers.

anyway, something I'm kicking around ...one version...

Barrett and Fournier (3 yrs!)
for '22 frp swap, Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, TRoss

maybe, just maybe, because of our taking on Evan's big deal, it's just a pick swap in '22 (say #2 for #9?) and maybe we add the DEN pick or our '22 srp (#32?). Don't panic over Evan's name...we have money and Barrett's the target, if Evan contributes-great, perhaps he happily accepts TRoss' former green light off the bench role.

Fultz, Suggs, MCW(?)
Barrett, Fournier, Harris(?)
Franz, Keegan Murray (#9 or Mathurin or Sharpe?))
WCJ, Okeke, Moe Wagner
Isaac, Bamba(?), RoLo (?)
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#14 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:39 pm

If Oladipo proves to be healthy, I'd offer him a little over midlevel type deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#15 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:12 pm

Many in GSW (and elsewhere) are completely over Wiggins. He still has one very expensive season under contract while Curry Klay & Draymond have a limited window of contention...Could we relieve them of Wiggins with out summer cap space as part of a deal that nets us Moody? Essentially, we kick our cap space usage down the road one year while picking up a young guy that serves a need...a good sized, 3 & D wing (at least). I wouldn't even look to Wiggins to contribute...perhaps we send them Ross to help make it come closer to balancing salary. It's likely that a contending situation might wake his lazy, disappointing ass up. Including Cole, RJ or similar would be no problem for me to get it done. Cole should have value in a lesser role on a better team.

Not sure how much this helps GSW make additional win-now moves (TPE?) but I'd love to buy low on Moody before he blossoms (and I'd like to see Curry and Co. go out with another ring or two.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#16 » by Max Power » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:40 pm

[quote="basketballRob"]If Oladipo proves to be healthy, I'd offer him a little over midlevel type deal.

Rob, I’d be ok with that too if Oladipo is back ready physically. If somehow he regained his career traction before the knee injury he’s a great veteran scoring option at the 2.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#17 » by MasterGMer » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:09 am

Skybox wrote:Many in GSW (and elsewhere) are completely over Wiggins. He still has one very expensive season under contract while Curry Klay & Draymond have a limited window of contention...Could we relieve them of Wiggins with out summer cap space as part of a deal that nets us Moody? Essentially, we kick our cap space usage down the road one year while picking up a young guy that serves a need...a good sized, 3 & D wing (at least). I wouldn't even look to Wiggins to contribute...perhaps we send them Ross to help make it come closer to balancing salary. It's likely that a contending situation might wake his lazy, disappointing ass up. Including Cole, RJ or similar would be no problem for me to get it done. Cole should have value in a lesser role on a better team.

Not sure how much this helps GSW make additional win-now moves (TPE?) but I'd love to buy low on Moody before he blossoms (and I'd like to see Curry and Co. go out with another ring or two.

But Andrew Wiggins is shooting horrible right now. He was an All Star player but a lot has changed in the 2nd half of the season.

He can not create a lot of offense and his salary is HUGE.

Not sure Magic is going to experiment with that
Skybox
RealGM

Post#18 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:37 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
Skybox wrote:Many in GSW (and elsewhere) are completely over Wiggins. He still has one very expensive season under contract while Curry Klay & Draymond have a limited window of contention...Could we relieve them of Wiggins with out summer cap space as part of a deal that nets us Moody? Essentially, we kick our cap space usage down the road one year while picking up a young guy that serves a need...a good sized, 3 & D wing (at least). I wouldn't even look to Wiggins to contribute...perhaps we send them Ross to help make it come closer to balancing salary. It's likely that a contending situation might wake his lazy, disappointing ass up. Including Cole, RJ or similar would be no problem for me to get it done. Cole should have value in a lesser role on a better team.

But Andrew Wiggins is shooting horrible right now. He was an All Star player but a lot has changed in the 2nd half of the season.

He can not create a lot of offense and his salary is HUGE.

Not sure Magic is going to experiment with that

My proposal is based on the assumption that Wiggins is worthless and a deep negative...it would be using our financial flexibility to eat Wiggins for a year and get Moody...if Wiggins played well (and that's not impossible), bonus.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#19 » by JF5 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:50 pm

This isn't the offseason to really to go add anybody of substance. Add some veteran presence,move the youth that isn't cutting it or you don't necessarily believe in and go from there.

Going into next year the definitive young core/rotation going forward is,

Fultz
Suggs
F. Wagner
Issac
Carter Jr.
Okeke
2022 Draft Pick
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#20 » by Skin » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:03 am

Draft Ivey, trade for Kyrie.

Kyrie Irving
Jaden Ivey
Franz Wagner
Wendell Carter Jr
Jonathan Isaac

Brooklyn can take any combination of Suggs, Fultz, Bamba, Okeke, Hampton, Ross and 1st round picks.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!

Return to Orlando Magic