ImageImageImageImage

Cap space/trade targets this summer?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,350

Re: Cap space/trade targets this summer? 

Post#381 » by Knightro » Tue May 17, 2022 1:23 pm

Ayton's not a bad player by any means, but is he worth 30M a year when you already have WCJ signed for 12.5M a year?

Seems like a less than stellar use of assets unless they have a WCJ trade lined up.

And miss me with this "WCJ played PF this year so play them together!" stuff because Carter was playing center and the Carter/Bamba pairing was also horrible together.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#382 » by GelbeWand09 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Knightro wrote:Ayton's not a bad player by any means, but is he worth 30M a year when you already have WCJ signed for 12.5M a year?

Seems like a less than stellar use of assets unless they have a WCJ trade lined up.

And miss me with this "WCJ played PF this year so play them together!" stuff because Carter was playing center and the Carter/Bamba pairing was also horrible together.

I guess it would be a sign & trade anyway & us sending WCJ to Phoenix. Personally i'm not interested. I like him but he is not worth max money + without looking it up, everytime i see a Suns game or check the boxscore, Ayton got like 1 or 2 fta. I fear his style of play (fading away & his quick trigger where the defense doesnt even got the time to foul him) prevents him from a high ftr. WCJ is not perfect, but on a good contract & improving.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#383 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:17 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
Knightro wrote:Ayton's not a bad player by any means, but is he worth 30M a year when you already have WCJ signed for 12.5M a year?

I guess it would be a sign & trade anyway & us sending WCJ to Phoenix. Personally i'm not interested. I like him but he is not worth max money + without looking it up, everytime i see a Suns game or check the boxscore, Ayton got like 1 or 2 fta. I fear his style of play (fading away & his quick trigger where the defense doesnt even got the time to foul him) prevents him from a high ftr. WCJ is not perfect, but on a good contract & improving.

Why would you assume WCJ would be involved? S&T usually do not produce that kind of return especially to a team that can make fairly easy moves to open enough cap to offer him a max contract out right.

Ayton will return a distant protected FRP and serviceable rotation player.

For ex.

Terrence Ross + ‘25 FRP via Denver

Now the extent of the package could change if a team over the cap wants him.

Ultimately, I think Detroit or SAS offer him a max with max incentives and forces PHX to match.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#384 » by GelbeWand09 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:

Why would you assume WCJ would be involved? S&T usually do not produce that kind of return especially to a team that can make fairly easy moves to open enough cap to offer him a max contract out right.

For ex.

Ultimately, I think Detroit or SAS offer him a max with max incentives and forces PHX to match.

Because Phoenix can threaten to match everything. It makes no sense for Phoenix to let him go for a low pick or marginal rotation player. They can match and trade him later. If you check the Suns board they even expect stuff like a young prospect & a high lottery pick in a S&T :lol: + We have no use for WCJ anyway in that situation. I doubt you can play them succesful together.
But like i said. I dont wanna do this anyway.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#385 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:26 pm

We have the second best odds for Ayton if he doesn’t resign with the Suns, Detroit being number one.

Has there ever been a scenario that 3 players drafted in the top 10 of a draft all play on one team? Assuming we get Ayton and Bamba comes back?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,154

Post#386 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 17, 2022 5:48 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:We have the second best odds for Ayton if he doesn’t resign with the Suns, Detroit being number one.

Has there ever been a scenario that 3 players drafted in the top 10 of a draft all play on one team? Assuming we get Ayton and Bamba comes back?

Don't see the point in spending big money in a Center when its a perimeter league and we are among the worst scoring teams in the league. You can find serviceable centers cheap.
aka: prorl
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,188

Post#387 » by cedric76 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:00 pm

Zero interest in Ayton
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,624

Post#388 » by Skybox » Tue May 17, 2022 7:08 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'd rather just have a cheap center that brings energy and defense. It's a wings league. Centers that can't guard the perimeter are being exposed.

If Isaac is healthy we could play him some as a small-ball center.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

IF...IF...IF Isaac is healthy, that's exactly where he should play next year...a much better Bamba, blocking shots, switching on the perimeter...He and WCJ should be very complementary as "BIGs" (call them whatever you want). Depending on who ORL drafts, the next step is unknown as Franz is solid at SF...I'd be very happy if our draft choice leads to a domino effect on our roster...a wild offseason is fun. Take your patience and organic team development and... :D
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#389 » by tiderulz » Tue May 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:

For ex.

23 yr old. no, Ayton brings back more than that. At worse, PHX matches and trades him a year later.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#390 » by Skin » Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Skybox wrote:Ayton's a good player, potentially an All-Star...but he's only a "max" guy because noone else is this off season. That would be a mistake. He can't carry a team, he's not elite at anything - not rebounding, not scoring, not blocking shots...he's like the RFA BPA and that's inflating his apparent value.

He's really good and DET might make sense because Cade could be the #1 creator that makes Ayton look solid. If he came to ORL and was anointed savior, it'd be a mess, IMO. Maybe that's more a function of our team's present state than Ayton's, but it is what it is. He's not Dwight and he's certainly not Shaq.

I've said before if we traded for Donovan Mitchell and followed that with a move for Ayton...I'm in. Ayton alone - not so much. Sounds like an impossibility, but we do have extra picks and prospects, along with cap space. Only scenario for Ayton, IMO.

I would offer Anfernee Simons max before Ayton.

Ayton is soft. Stay away from him. Rather have Mo Wagner than Ayton.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,624

Post#391 » by Skybox » Tue May 17, 2022 7:20 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:

For ex.

23 yr old. no, Ayton brings back more than that. At worse, PHX matches and trades him a year later.

Yep...we can dissect Ayton's game, but that offer wont' get us Cam Johnson :crazy: not to mention, the implied max to Ayton...I guess I wouldn't take Ayton for free-with a max deal. He's really good, but nowhere in that realm. Before the recent drama and character questions, I believed PHO just pays him for continuity...now, who knows?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#392 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:36 pm

I’m reading Portland blogs valuing Simmons around $18-20M per year.

If Orlando drafts a big, how much are we willing to overspend on Simmons to bring him back to Orlando?

———————————

- Draft Chet / Paolo / Smith
- Trade Ross, Cole moves into the spark off the bench role
- Simmons takes over as lead scoring guard
- Fultz is hopefully ready to emerge with Suggs being groomed as 1b
- Franz and WCJ hold down the for fort
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#393 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:36 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:We have the second best odds for Ayton if he doesn’t resign with the Suns, Detroit being number one.

Don't see the point in spending big money in a Center when its a perimeter league and we are among the worst scoring teams in the league. You can find serviceable centers cheap.

We don’t need to worry to be honest, betting sites don’t have a clue about these things. I would think they just assumed we would be one of his suitors.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,940

Post#394 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 17, 2022 10:58 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I’m reading Portland blogs valuing Simmons around $18-20M per year.

If Orlando drafts a big, how much are we willing to overspend on Simmons to bring him back to Orlando?

———————————

I could absolutely see them doing it.

If they land in the top 3 tonight your breakdown makes sense of the following events. Probably the most balanced roster they could throw out there. Not sure if they undoubtedly will overspend for him, but who else are they planning on spending the money on?

They could even play Isaac as sparingly as possible until he gets hurt again.

Fultz-Suggs/Cole
Simons
Franz
Jabari or Paolo
WCjr
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#395 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:27 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I’m reading Portland blogs valuing Simmons around $18-20M per year.

———————————

If they land in the top 3 tonight your breakdown makes sense of the following events. Probably the most balanced roster they could throw out there. Not sure if they undoubtedly will overspend for him, but who else are they planning on spending the money on?

Fultz-Suggs/Cole
Simons
Franz
Jabari or Paolo
WCjr

It’s only and overpay until … it’s not.

If we give him a $25M a year it is likely seen as an overpay. But if he goes out and reaches that next level by consistently playing at an All-Star level as the lead scoring guard we have been seeking for the lifespan of the deal then that is a great deal for us.

If we see him as a 22 year old kid capable of becoming a regular All-Star then throw that $$ at him.

Look, I REALLY like Deandre Ayton. I was very high on him in the draft and I remain very high on him. But I’m not sitting here today talking about spending big on him. We have WCJ locked into a great deal. We don’t need that. We need a long term scoring guard. If we are going to spend big and take a chance do it there.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,940

Post#396 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 17, 2022 11:50 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

———————————

Fultz-Suggs/Cole
Simons
Franz
Jabari or Paolo
WCjr

It’s only and overpay until … it’s not.

If we give him a $25M a year it is likely seen as an overpay. But if he goes out and reaches that next level by consistently playing at an All-Star level as the lead scoring guard we have been seeking for the lifespan of the deal then that is a great deal for us.

If we see him as a 22 year old kid capable of becoming a regular All-Star then throw that $$ at him.

Look, I REALLY like Deandre Ayton. I was very high on him in the draft and I remain very high on him. But I’m not sitting here today talking about spending big on him. We have WCJ locked into a great deal. We don’t need that. We need a long term scoring guard. If we are going to spend big and take a chance do it there.

I'd much rather pay Simons than Ayton while Orlando has WCJr under a friendly deal. Especially if Orlando ends up drafting one of the bigs.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#397 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 18, 2022 2:20 am

How about the better of ours and Chicago's 1st next year, plus this year's 32 pick to GS for poole? Heck, if we can get a wink wink extension for before the trade, I'd give GS both picks next year, we won't have room. This would be the time to overpay, we have deep pockets.
Fultz/Cole
Poole/Suggs
Franz/Okeke
Smith/JI
WCJ/MoWags or FA
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#398 » by shadrock » Wed May 18, 2022 4:47 am

Now that we have #1, and assuming we take Jabari, i would be shopping WCJ for a SG.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,573

Post#399 » by SOUL » Wed May 18, 2022 4:49 am

shadrock wrote:Now that we have #1, and assuming we take Jabari, i would be shopping WCJ for a SG.

Who would be our center?
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#400 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 18, 2022 12:11 pm

SOUL wrote:
shadrock wrote:Now that we have #1, and assuming we take Jabari, i would be shopping WCJ for a SG.

Who would be our center?

Agreed. I think it would be a mistake to trade one of our 3 current true NBA level starters.

With getting the #1, I think we now should use next year's draft capital and/or Ross PLUS our Cap space to upgrade our SG position.
We can send back less $$ than receiving.
I'd go after teams that are above the Tax.
Golden State with Poole - Can't resign him, can get max value from us.
LAC with Kinard - Kinard is due $13M a year, but costs LAC 1.5 times that with tax.
Both of those should be able to get with only sending pics

Hayward with CHAR, they need some space to re-sign Bridges.
Send them Ross and our 32 pick, it gets them $20M in space.

Return to Orlando Magic