ImageImageImageImage

Cap space/trade targets this summer?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Sensor
Sophomore
And1: 94

Re: Cap space/trade targets this summer? 

Post#401 » by Sensor » Wed May 18, 2022 12:40 pm

Can I get some opinions here. A friend of mine feels strongly that we should trade the #1 pick to the Lakers for Westbrook and the Magic would be a fool to not make that deal. I think that's just crazy and a move that gets a gm fired. We'd obviously have to include players to make the cap side work which makes the deal even worst for us. Am I an idiot?
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#402 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Sensor wrote:Can I get some opinions here. A friend of mine feels strongly that we should trade the #1 pick to the Lakers for Westbrook and the Magic would be a fool to not make that deal. I think that's just crazy and a move that gets a gm fired. We'd obviously have to include players to make the cap side work which makes the deal even worst for us. Am I an idiot?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's my response to your friend while I hang up the phone.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#403 » by Skybox » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

I would pencil in Jabari and start shopping immediately...we've got tons of cap, extra picks, and several young guys with promise. I wouldn't rule out trading anyone except Franz (unless it's Donovan Mitchell-level)...I think we need to sort out our PG situation between Suggs, Fultz, and Cole at the same time (while trade value is high-ish)...No reason we don't come out of the summer with two MAJOR additions (including the pick). Adding a guy with Jabari's NBA ready skills of perimeter D and shotmaking makes me a lot keener on paying (overpaying?) a young guy like Simons or Brunson or swinging a bold trade for D. Mitchell.

Fultz, TRoss, '23 frp, CHI or Den frp for D. Mitchell (alternatively Suggs, TRoss, frp for Mitchell)
Okeke for Cam Johnson (PHO ducks paying Johnson to pay Ayton) Johnson gets a lot of minutes at 2/3. SnT Bamba for ? or just keep Bamba on team-friendly deal to backup C*
*much depends on Isaac prognosis
draft filler prospects with 2rps or even try to package to move up and get best 3 & D's available

Suggs/Cole/MCW or similar
Mitchell/Cam Johnson/RJ
Franz/Johnson
Jabari/Isaac/M. Wagner
WCJ/Isaac/Bol or RoLo or similar

simpler version, draft jabari and throw money at Brunson or Simons. Move Cole or Fultz for quality depth-Kispert, Cam Johnson?

Fultz/Suggs
Brunson/Cam Johnson
Franz/Jabari
Jabari/Isaac
WCJ/Bamba

or...
Brunson/Jabari/Franz/WCJ/Isaac

I'm drinking too much coffee
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#404 » by Def Swami » Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm

Sensor wrote:Can I get some opinions here. A friend of mine feels strongly that we should trade the #1 pick to the Lakers for Westbrook and the Magic would be a fool to not make that deal. I think that's just crazy and a move that gets a gm fired. We'd obviously have to include players to make the cap side work which makes the deal even worst for us. Am I an idiot?

Get new friends.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#405 » by Def Swami » Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm

I was always a little partial to Anfernee Simons on this team. With the #1 pick and the Magic adding one of Jabari Smith or Chet Holmgren, I dig that idea even more.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#406 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Skybox wrote:I would pencil in Jabari and start shopping immediately...we've got tons of cap, extra picks, and several young guys with promise. I wouldn't rule out trading anyone except Franz (unless it's Donovan Mitchell-level)...I think we need to sort out our PG situation between Suggs, Fultz, and Cole at the same time (while trade value is high-ish)...No reason we don't come out of the summer with two MAJOR additions (including the pick). Adding a guy with Jabari's NBA ready skills of perimeter D and shotmaking makes me a lot keener on paying (overpaying?) a young guy like Simons or Brunson or swinging a bold trade for D. Mitchell.

Fultz, TRoss, '23 frp, CHI or Den frp for D. Mitchell (alternatively Suggs, TRoss, frp for Mitchell)
Okeke for Cam Johnson (PHO ducks paying Johnson to pay Ayton) Johnson gets a lot of minutes at 2/3. SnT Bamba for ? or just keep Bamba on team-friendly deal to backup C*
*much depends on Isaac prognosis
draft filler prospects with 2rps or even try to package to move up and get best 3 & D's available

Suggs/Cole/MCW or similar
Mitchell/Cam Johnson/RJ
Franz/Johnson
Jabari/Isaac/M. Wagner
WCJ/Isaac/Bol or RoLo or similar

simpler version, draft jabari and throw money at Brunson or Simons. Move Cole or Fultz for quality depth-Kispert, Cam Johnson?

Fultz/Suggs
Brunson/Cam Johnson
Franz/Jabari
Jabari/Isaac
WCJ/Bamba

or...
Brunson/Jabari/Franz/WCJ/Isaac

I'm drinking too much coffee

SO many ways to go, it's quite unbelievable.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#407 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Skybox wrote:I would pencil in Jabari and start shopping immediately...we've got tons of cap, extra picks, and several young guys with promise. I wouldn't rule out trading anyone except Franz (unless it's Donovan Mitchell-level)...I think we need to sort out our PG situation between Suggs, Fultz, and Cole at the same time (while trade value is high-ish)...No reason we don't come out of the summer with two MAJOR additions (including the pick). Adding a guy with Jabari's NBA ready skills of perimeter D and shotmaking makes me a lot keener on paying (overpaying?) a young guy like Simons or Brunson or swinging a bold trade for D. Mitchell

I'd take Cam Johnson over Kispert, don't have interest in throwing the amount of money Brunson will likely command after this playoffs run though.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#408 » by Skybox » Wed May 18, 2022 2:20 pm

Magicman125 wrote:
Skybox wrote:I would pencil in Jabari and start shopping immediately...we've got tons of cap, extra picks, and several young guys with promise. I wouldn't rule out trading anyone except Franz (unless it's Donovan Mitchell-level)...I think we need to sort out our PG situation between Suggs, Fultz, and Cole at the same time (while trade value is high-ish)...No reason we don't come out of the summer with two MAJOR additions (including the pick). Adding a guy with Jabari's NBA ready skills of perimeter D and shotmaking makes me a lot keener on paying (overpaying?) a young guy like Simons or Brunson or swinging a bold trade for D. Mitchell

I'd take Cam Johnson over Kispert, don't have interest in throwing the amount of money Brunson will likely command after this playoffs run though.

I would, generally speaking, too but Cam's going to get paid soon and we don't have a leading role for him, so I'm torn. I think Cam is going to be a really good player (more than 3&D we're now seeing)
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#409 » by basketballRob » Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 pm

Magic with the second best odds to sign Ayton.

Read on Twitter
?t=9-wX7iMO6DsEd-iq0KqtDw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#410 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:59 pm

Let me guess your friend is a Lakers fan right? right? :o :lol:
Sensor
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#411 » by Sensor » Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:

Let me guess your friend is a Lakers fan right? right? :o :lol:

Lol ironically no he's a magic fan but a bit on the casual side in a sense that he just gets his info watching espn/whatever nonsense is shoved in your face on tv.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#412 » by RookieStar » Wed May 18, 2022 10:56 pm

LOL

Ah..... brings me back to the Dwightmare-era where LA fans were forcing down our throats to trade D12 for Bynum and filler.. but this time it's even worse.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#413 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 am

Is there any way Golden State would give away Moses Moody?

They are clearly in super win now mode and have salary cap issues. If we absorb some salary and / or attach a future pick, would they part with him?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#414 » by Skin » Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 am

Would you give up the #1 pick for any of these players?

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,304

Post#415 » by Knightro » Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 am

Skin wrote:Would you give up the #1 pick for any of these players?

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

100% not. Without any hesitation not.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#416 » by RookieStar » Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Is there any way Golden State would give away Moses Moody?

They are clearly in super win now mode and have salary cap issues. If we absorb some salary and / or attach a future pick, would they part with him?

I think they are grooming Poole Moodey and Kuminga to take over the big 3 they have. So don't think they wanna give up on him this early.
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#417 » by BlueBlazer » Thu May 19, 2022 2:31 am

How did you become friends with Rob Pelinka?
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,635

Post#418 » by thelead » Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 am

It's clear that we need to figure out the back court. We're going to have Franz, WCJ, JI, and one of Chet, Jabari (my preference), or Paolo. There is little need to worry about the front court at this point.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#419 » by tiderulz » Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 am

Westbrook turns 34 as the season starts, and is expiring. any GM that trades #1 for him needs to be fired. not only fired from his current job but not allowed to work in basketball again for at least 10 years
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,635

Post#420 » by thelead » Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 am

Your friend is an idiot. Go ask the general board if your friend knows basketball based on this and prepare to learn a lot about your friend's 'basketball knowledge' :lol:

Return to Orlando Magic