ImageImageImageImage

Cap space/trade targets this summer?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,646

Re: Cap space/trade targets this summer? 

Post#421 » by thelead » Thu May 19, 2022 2:55 am

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:Would you give up the #1 pick for any of these players?

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

100% not. Without any hesitation not.

Agreed... but what about SGA?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#422 » by RookieStar » Thu May 19, 2022 3:00 am

BlueBlazer wrote:
Sensor wrote:Can I get some opinions here. A friend of mine feels strongly that we should trade the #1 pick to the Lakers for Westbrook and the Magic would be a fool to not make that deal. I think that's just crazy and a move that gets a gm fired. We'd obviously have to include players to make the cap side work which makes the deal even worst for us. Am I an idiot?

How did you become friends with Rob Pelinka?

Don't you mean LbJ?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#423 » by Skin » Thu May 19, 2022 3:08 am

Knightro wrote:

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

Name your top 3 who you would give it up for.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
The1llness
Pro Prospect
And1: 464

Post#424 » by The1llness » Thu May 19, 2022 3:08 am

If I was in the Magic FO I would include a pick from the Bulls or Nuggets to move Ross to a team with cap space or a TPE (Celtics have such a TPE), resign Bamba to something like 4/50, waive all non-guaranteed contracts and cap holds (including Fran Vazquez) and that would leave me with somewhere between 27-28 million to work with depending on what the cap is with 10 players under contract.

With that money I would either throw it all at Simons hoping the Blazers don’t match or split it amongst multiple players to fill out the roster. Maybe Malik Monk or Colin Sexton getting something similar to what Malik Beasley got (4/60) and use the rest on low price vets.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#425 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:13 am

RookieStar wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Is there any way Golden State would give away Moses Moody?

They are clearly in super win now mode and have salary cap issues. If we absorb some salary and / or attach a future pick, would they part with him?

I think they are grooming Poole Moodey and Kuminga to take over the big 3 they have. So don't think they wanna give up on him this early.

Don’t forget they still have James Wiseman as well.

****. How do they have so much talent?????
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,323

Post#426 » by Knightro » Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 am

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

Name your top 3 who you would give it up for.

The guys I’d give up No. 1 for aren’t on the market.

The guys who teams would give up for the pick aren’t guys I’d take for it.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#427 » by cedric76 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:15 am

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

Jaylen Brown
Jalen Green
Donovan mitchell
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#428 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 19, 2022 11:24 am

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

Absolutely not.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#429 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu May 19, 2022 1:27 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Is there any way Golden State would give away Moses Moody?

They are clearly in super win now mode and have salary cap issues. If we absorb some salary and / or attach a future pick, would they part with him?

I think they are grooming Poole Moodey and Kuminga to take over the big 3 they have. So don't think they wanna give up on him this early.

I really want Poole.
I wouldn't say they have Cap issues, their owner is quite OK with being over. Their top 4 players make more than the Cap, so it doesn't really matter after that.
All you can do, is hope they may start thinking about life after Klay and Steph and you are going to have to over pay. They should sell high on Poole though, because next summer they can't really offer him a big contract.
The Den pick would be one they should really want (and ours in 2025).
Our 2 second rounders this year, and the better of the 2025 picks would be the start.

BUT, I think we are in the perfect position to overpay.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Post#430 » by Skybox » Thu May 19, 2022 3:40 pm

The1llness wrote:If I was in the Magic FO I would include a pick from the Bulls or Nuggets to move Ross to a team with cap space or a TPE (Celtics have such a TPE), resign Bamba to something like 4/50, waive all non-guaranteed contracts and cap holds (including Fran Vazquez) and that would leave me with somewhere between 27-28 million to work with depending on what the cap is with 10 players under contract.

With that money I would either throw it all at Simons hoping the Blazers don’t match or split it amongst multiple players to fill out the roster. Maybe Malik Monk or Colin Sexton getting something similar to what Malik Beasley got (4/60) and use the rest on low price vets.

glad you're not...you don't blow a first on getting rid of a relatively minimal expiring- especially for a guy who could contribute in a good situation.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#431 » by Skybox » Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 pm

cedric76 wrote:

Lillard
Beal
Kyrie

Jaylen Brown
Jalen Green
Donovan mitchell

I'd add SGA to your solid list...in each of them, I'd want to send out some money to preserve at least some of our cap space. TRoss, Fultz, Cole maybe...depends on the incoming position too. I'm not hating those guys, just preferring the next move to complement the acquisition.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#432 » by zaymon » Thu May 19, 2022 3:50 pm

The biggest question is what do we do with Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton. Hampton can stay as third stringer but Anthony ? His goal is to be an all star and you need a lot of usage to do that with his skills. I would move him before his huge ego starts to ruin team chemistry
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,323

Post#433 » by Knightro » Thu May 19, 2022 4:29 pm

zaymon wrote:The biggest question is what do we do with Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton. Hampton can stay as third stringer but Anthony ? His goal is to be an all star and you need a lot of usage to do that with his skills. I would move him before his huge ego starts to ruin team chemistry

Hampton as you said is basically a non-factor.

With Anthony it really depends on what the Magic plan to do with their cap space. If they're going to chase a big $ free agent like Brunson or Simons or try and trade for a starting/rotation caliber guard, then Anthony presumably would have to be moved.

If they aren't going to pursue any significant additions, then if I had to guess today Anthony will be used as a 6th man behind a Fultz/Suggs starting backcourt.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#434 » by zaymon » Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Knightro wrote:
zaymon wrote:The biggest question is what do we do with Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton. Hampton can stay as third stringer but Anthony ? His goal is to be an all star and you need a lot of usage to do that with his skills. I would move him before his huge ego starts to ruin team chemistry

Hampton as you said is basically a non-factor.

With Anthony it really depends on what the Magic plan to do with their cap space. If they're going to chase a big $ free agent like Brunson or Simons or try and trade for a starting/rotation caliber guard, then Anthony presumably would have to be moved.

If they aren't going to pursue any significant additions, then if I had to guess today Anthony will be used as a 6th man behind a Fultz/Suggs starting backcourt.

He wont be happy as a 6th man. He has some value now, if we dont trade him it could end up a disaster.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#435 » by Skybox » Thu May 19, 2022 7:18 pm

One can make a really good case for all of the three bigs at the top of the draft...Depending on which we take, what will be a possible ripple effect on the rest of the roster? I don't think we are anywhere like we were last year (in terms of hopelessness and tanking) and I think (HOPE) we could follow up our draft pick with some significant moves to create a team on the rise...We have tons of cap, extra first round picks, a nice expiring in TRoss, and some redundant but promising young players. I assume Bamba is odd man out regardless-he will be SnT'd or re-signed to a very tradable deal as a backup and shopped at the TD, IMO.

IF we take Jabari...It's unclear to me what effect it has on Isaac. With Franz at SF, Jabari at PF and, I assume, WCJ at Center...I suppose Isaac backs up 3 & 4, assuming he's healthy, but does he become trade bait once he establishes he's OK or does he become a better option as a switching, rim-protecting Center than WCJ? Also, WCJ didn't like being called a Center in CHI-whatever. With Jabari's skill set of shooting and perimeter D, I don't see much urgency to making other moves.

IF we take Chet...he moves right into Bamba's spot next to WCJ, offering all of the benefits Bamba sometimes provided with a ton more instincts and competitive fire. Isaac backs up 4/5 and even 3 if we want to occasionally go full octopus defensive lockdown with Franz at 2. Isaac could end up trade bait if healthy.

IF we take Paolo...this, IMO, is the most interesting discussion as PB doesn't slide in as smoothly to our frontline. IF our FO really thought Paolo was a franchise player, I think we'd have to move things around to fit his game...Isaac to Center, and trade everyone but Franz and Suggs for shooters...and make sure Suggs learns to shoot. PB would be the initiator of the offense most times. Maybe WCJ moves for a scoring guard...

Just thinking...I want to see a huge draft pick (we nailed the lottery!!) followed by a team built to win (without mortgaging the future-they're not mutually exclusive).
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#436 » by zaymon » Thu May 19, 2022 8:10 pm

Skybox wrote:One can make a really good case for all of the three bigs at the top of the draft...Depending on which we take, what will be a possible ripple effect on the rest of the roster? I don't think we are anywhere like we were last year (in terms of hopelessness and tanking) and I think (HOPE) we could follow up our draft pick with some significant moves to create a team on the rise...We have tons of cap, extra first round picks, a nice expiring in TRoss, and some redundant but promising young players. I assume Bamba is odd man out regardless-he will be SnT'd or re-signed to a very tradable deal as a backup and shopped at the TD, IMO.

IF we take Jabari...It's unclear to me what effect it has on Isaac. With Franz at SF, Jabari at PF and, I assume, WCJ at Center...I suppose Isaac backs up 3 & 4, assuming he's healthy, but does he become trade bait once he establishes he's OK or does he become a better option as a switching, rim-protecting Center than WCJ? Also, WCJ didn't like being called a Center in CHI-whatever. With Jabari's skill set of shooting and perimeter D, I don't see much urgency to making other moves.

IF we take Chet...he moves right into Bamba's spot next to WCJ, offering all of the benefits Bamba sometimes provided with a ton more instincts and competitive fire. Isaac backs up 4/5 and even 3 if we want to occasionally go full octopus defensive lockdown with Franz at 2. Isaac could end up trade bait if healthy.

IF we take Paolo...this, IMO, is the most interesting discussion as PB doesn't slide in as smoothly to our frontline. IF our FO really thought Paolo was a franchise player, I think we'd have to move things around to fit his game...Isaac to Center, and trade everyone but Franz and Suggs for shooters...and make sure Suggs learns to shoot. PB would be the initiator of the offense most times. Maybe WCJ moves for a scoring guard...

Just thinking...I want to see a huge draft pick (we nailed the lottery!!) followed by a team built to win (without mortgaging the future-they're not mutually exclusive).

Suggs/Wagner/Banchero/Isaac/WCJ

It could be deadly even if guys shot around 35% from 3. Every player can go to the rim and pass (maybe except JI but he is the rim protector)
Skybox
RealGM

Post#437 » by Skybox » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:55 am

So, DET just took back zilch (basically) to offload Jerami Grant's deal, freeing up a TON of cap...they've got to be hunting big game...I assume Beal or Ayton. I think that leaves us as one of the very few teams with significant cap space. CHA is purportedly willing to include a frp to offload Gordon Hayward...

Hayward ($30m/$31m) + #15 to ORL
Terrence Ross ($11.5m)

This would give CHA more than enough breathing room to overpay Miles Bridges and even more savings the following year. We blow our cap space for two years, to an extent (still below tax) but we pick up Jalen Williams (or Agbaji, Branham, Mark Williams...solid). The big payoff is, it perhaps makes sense even if Hayward doensn't play and gets bought out next year...BUT, IF HE'S HEALTHY - even part-time, he's arguably the best player on our squad at our greatest position of need. He's a big SG, who plays D, moves the ball, shoots 3's, great leader and mentor...particularly for our young guys who've been dealing with BIG injuries (Isaac, Fultz).

It's a lot of money, but most on here like to bemoan that "noone will come to ORL. We suck". What else were we going to do with it? We make a trade, grab a big pick, draft #1 and really target 2 years from now, when we've watched our young core grow together and steadily improve. I wouldn't even mind 4 rookies (blasphemy) because none other than Jabari will be counted on to produce-perhaps even G league. Next year at this time, we have two more firsts and a very large expiring Hayward to play with - if we choose. If things click, we squeak into the playoffs, but we still don't do anything to compromise our steady improvement.

Fultz, Suggs, #32 (D. Terry, Nembhard?)
Hayward, Anthony, RJ Hampton
Franz, Okeke, #15-Jalen Williams?
Jabari, M. Wagner
WCJ, Isaac, #35-Koloko?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#438 » by cedric76 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:20 am

Skybox wrote:So, DET just took back zilch (basically) to offload Jerami Grant's deal, freeing up a TON of cap...they've got to be hunting big game...I assume Beal or Ayton. I think that leaves us as one of the very few teams with significant cap space. CHA is purportedly willing to include a frp to offload Gordon Hayward...

Terrence Ross ($11.5m)

This would give CHA more than enough breathing room to overpay Miles Bridges and even more savings the following year. We blow our cap space for two years, to an extent (still below tax) but we pick up Jalen Williams (or Agbaji, Branham, Mark Williams...solid). The big payoff is, it perhaps makes sense even if Hayward doensn't play and gets bought out next year...BUT, IF HE'S HEALTHY - even part-time, he's arguably the best player on our squad at our greatest position of need. He's a big SG, who plays D, moves the ball, shoots 3's, great leader and mentor...particularly for our young guys who've been dealing with BIG injuries (Isaac, Fultz).

It's a lot of money, but most on here like to bemoan that "noone will come to ORL. We suck". What else were we going to do with it? We make a trade, grab a big pick, draft #1 and really target 2 years from now, when we've watched our young core grow together and steadily improve. I wouldn't even mind 4 rookies (blasphemy) because none other than Jabari will be counted on to produce-perhaps even G league. Next year at this time, we have two more firsts and a very large expiring Hayward to play with - if we choose. If things click, we squeak into the playoffs, but we still don't do anything to compromise our steady improvement.

Jabari, M. Wagner
WCJ, Isaac, #35-Koloko?

Gordon is too old, too injured and his 2 yrs contract will killed our cap space

A big fat NO to this trade
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#439 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:31 am

Hayward isn’t the right fit here. Not the right locker room presence. His injuries nuked Charlotte’s playoff hopes twice. He’d also take minutes away from guys that need/deserve them. WeltHamm would rather sign guys to 1-year deals or take on a contract or two in exchange for assets and push our salary cap space to next summer.

It would take both of Charlotte’s first rounders for that conversation to even begin.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#440 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:36 am

cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:So, DET just took back zilch (basically) to offload Jerami Grant's deal, freeing up a TON of cap...they've got to be hunting big game...I assume Beal or Ayton. I think that leaves us as one of the very few teams with significant cap space. CHA is purportedly willing to include a frp to offload Gordon Hayward...

Terrence Ross ($11.5m)

Jabari, M. Wagner
WCJ, Isaac, #35-Koloko?

Gordon is too old, too injured and his 2 yrs contract will killed our cap space

A big fat NO to this trade

I am not going to say that it will be Hayward, but you better get your head wrapped around it that the Magic will most likely do some trade like this during the off-season. Most likely Orlando is going to rent out their cap space for draft assets and will take on a bad contract or two. This deal isn't that bad because it is only 2 years left and we are most likely not bringing in some big name free agent in the next 2 years. Hayward would take on the Harris role as the vet mentor. I don't think he would start. Most likely he would come off the bench so that we can give the young bucks time to play.

I also heard the suggestion of Ross, #32, #35 to the Sixers for Danny Green and the #23. It works for both sides because Green has one more year left on his contract like Ross and Green is out for the season with an ACL injury. The Magic could either cut him or keep him around as a mentor. The Sixers get a useable guard who will actually play next year and is able to shoot. I like this deal better.

Return to Orlando Magic