ImageImageImageImage

Donovan Mitchell trade will be done before training camp. Does Magic have an interest?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 591

Donovan Mitchell trade will be done before training camp. Does Magic have an interest? 

Post#1 » by MasterGMer » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:41 am

Zach Lowe said on today's NBA Today that there is no chance this Utah team is going to run it back for next season. And teams have already started bidding war for the star Donovan Mitchell.

Right now the biggest rumor is NYK and Miami Heat. Miami Heat is it because of Dwayne Wade's connection to the Heat while he is also the owner of Utah Jazz. However, NYK even sent a whole crew to Utah to "scout" Mitchell. We do not know but one thing for certain "the bidding war has started"!

Would you do a trade for Mitchell considering Orlando needs a star and need a constant contributor at off guard spot

So I floated this around:
Orlando Out:
Jonathan Isaac
Cole Anthony
Terrence Ross
2023 FRP
2023 Chicago's FRP
2025 Denver's FRP

Utah out:
Donovan Mitchell
2023 FRP

Mitchell is under contract for 3 more seasons so we do not have to worry him leaving.

Will you do it? Will you go after Donovan Mitchell?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,149

Re: Donovan Mitchell? 

Post#2 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:55 am

so look at it from Utah's point of view.
Isaac - not much value, hasnt played in 2 years
Anthony - some talent, some issues
Ross - no value, hurt it past couple of years
2023 - FRP, likely non-lottery pick
2023 Chicago pick - could be the best pick, depending on if Chicago implodes
2025 Denver pick - likely non-lottery pick

gotta believe Denver want some combination of Sugg/Wagner/2022 pick.

would i do the trade you proposed? yes. but Utah would never take that
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#3 » by 89Magicfan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:00 am

Be stupid not to at least pursue.
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#4 » by JTG_92940618 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:03 am

Donovan fits with us in that he plays a position of need, he adds offense and we should be able to cover his defense.

BUT, for 3 years in a row now the Jazz have been better with him off the court. He's also an awkward timeline fit since we want to give Suggs (and a few others) time to get good but Mitchell would want to win right away.

It's a no from me.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,362

Post#5 » by pepe1991 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:02 pm

Knicks offer RJ Barrett and that deal is done, right?

proposed Magic offer really isn't all that good.
Isaac is broken, Ross wants no part of rebuilds and has no value as player or contract, 2023 pick of Magic isn't much if Mitchell makes Magic playoff team, 2023 pick of Bulls also won't be all that lucrative (and has protection), Jokic is signing supermax so 2025 pick of Nuggets also isn't all that valuable.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,708

Post#6 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:42 pm

The OP is extremely light for UTA and, even if Isaac was at full strength (which he is surely not), he's exactly what they don't need at PF next to Gobert. They would want our '22 pick, for starters and probably Suggs. Both of those would really hurt, but I'd do it. Gobert is perpetually frustrated with Mitchell's defensive effort and Gobert is put in bad spots to cover...having said that, that's the real value of Gobert. From Utah's perspective, Suggs and Banchero/Jabari would be a nice start and we'd likely have to add another pick (DEN, CHI, and keep in mind that ours will likely not be as high with Mitchell) and maybe some lesser players like TRoss+. My assumption is we'd be taking more salary than giving back due to our cap space-that's another significant asset in the deal. That's a lot but I'd do it.

Conley might be the only "bad money" on their roster that we could try to help with, but he's still contributing and shooting at a high click and we really don't have any expirings beyond Ross. They might not be looking to ditch him. Not sure if the RealGM or ESPN trade machine accurately calculates cap options, but I'd take Conley with Mitchell into our cap if we needed to (and could). He's only 2 years and he's not a terrible player. If they want RJ too, no problem. I'd consider renouncing Harris, RoLo, Bamba (if needed) to take back Conley too -as an added benefit to UTA-if that's what they wanted. Very few other teams will have the ability to make space and give picks this summer-we should pounce.

I'd much prefer to offer (but UTA might not bite):

Suggs, TRoss, Cole, ORL '23 frp, ORL '25frp, DEN '25 frp

for...Donovan Mitchell, NAW (I assume he's a throw-in cap hit at this point but I want to believe :wink: )

then, re-sign G. Harris and Bamba (if possible-only on team-friendly deals), draft Jabari or Banchero, take swings on shooter with 2rp's

WCJ/Bamba
Isaac/FRP/Moe
Franz/Okeke, 2rp
Mitchell, Harris, NAW
Fultz, MCW or 2rp, RJ

That's a good team...IF Fultz rises to the occasion, and we draft a stud PF, it becomes a great team with Isaac at 4/5
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 512

Post#7 » by Ralof » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:46 pm

he do not want to come to orlando.
or portland.
or memphis.
or detroit,or charlotte,san antonio,toronto or new orleans.

he wants new york or los angeles,as almost any u.s. big FA
maybe miami has a chance,maybe.

#1 problem in this league: great players who could decide to not going to a place via trade even if they are under contract.
LA and NY have too much competitive advantage,is ridicoulus
Skybox
RealGM

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:54 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Knicks offer RJ Barrett and that deal is done, right?

Isaac is broken, Ross wants no part of rebuilds and has no value as player or contract, 2023 pick of Magic isn't much if Mitchell makes Magic playoff team, 2023 pick of Bulls also won't be all that lucrative (and has protection), Jokic is signing supermax so 2025 pick of Nuggets also isn't all that valuable.

Is RJ that valued? I think, if pleasing Gobert matters, Suggs would be the guy (to begin with) and we probably have to include our '22 which, unless the lottery gods go Ewing on us, is much better than NY's. It's all about the picks, IMO. Maybe if we did '22 top 2 protections? I'm resisting, but our '22 unprotected frp is probably the only thing that gets us in the conversation (+ Suggs or Wagner).

-People keep commenting about Mitchell's preference, but UTA shouldn't and couldn't care less...he's from a NYC suburb but he's far from being a UFA. You don't want to trade for a malcontent, but I don't know that location has been his issue (although UTA is for some). I also don't think it has to be a total rebuild in UTA, they are a veteran team with an amazing coach. Who GAF what TRoss prefers anymore...he could be a big part of their motion offense if he'd show up. Otherwise, he's cap relief or Trade Deadline bait.

-Isaac makes no sense next to Gobert, even if he was healthy...which he is far from. Jabari/Gobert/Suggs would be perfect fit on both ends...if Suggs develops as expected/hoped, it's an ORL overpay...but I'd take that chance.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Skybox wrote:

Is RJ that valued? I think, if pleasing Gobert matters, Suggs would be the guy (to begin with) and we probably have to include our '22 which, unless the lottery gods go Ewing on us, is much better than NY's. It's all about the picks, IMO. Maybe if we did '22 top 2 protections? I'm resisting, but our '22 unprotected frp is probably the only thing that gets us in the conversation (+ Suggs or Wagner).

-People keep commenting about Mitchell's preference, but UTA shouldn't and couldn't care less...he's from a NYC suburb but he's far from being a UFA. You don't want to trade for a malcontent, but I don't know that location has been his issue (although UTA is for some). I also don't think it has to be a total rebuild in UTA, they are a veteran team with an amazing coach. Who GAF what TRoss prefers anymore...he could be a big part of their motion offense if he'd show up. Otherwise, he's cap relief or Trade Deadline bait.

-Isaac makes no sense next to Gobert, even if he was healthy...which he is far from. Jabari/Gobert/Suggs would be perfect fit on both ends...if Suggs develops as expected/hoped, it's an ORL overpay...but I'd take that chance.

RJ Barrett has 1 year of rookie contract, is yet to turn 22 and can score. His efficiency sucks but imo, he is workable player and i find it easy to imagine him figuring things out. He has 3 point range and he draws s*** loud of fouls. Once he polishes his game he will be constant 22-25 ppg , +55% TS player. Guy is well built and will probably get even stronger given how young he is.

If i'm Utah, i'm trading both Gobert and Mitchell in near future. Imo Gobert is part of Utah's problem, his defense almost never holds in playoffs ( by the DPOY standards ) and his offense is just him bein clumbsy and on top of that he is 29 years old and will command some outrageus salary like $35M a year.

As for Utah, if they decide to keep Mitchell- Gobert for another year, than Conley simply has to go. And there is desparate need for defensive wing. After this playoffs Conley is probably only valuable as well experienced good guy on massive expiring contract. He looked shot in playoffs. Even in game 6, imo, they lost because of him. First he missed 3 point shot that he shouldn't even take, than he had transition travel, TO because he couldn't control ball. And he couldn't defend anybody. Just flat out awful perfromance by him.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#10 » by drsd » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:31 pm

Anfernee Simons is a much more realistic target for Orlando.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#11 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

RJ Barrett has 1 year of rookie contract, is yet to turn 22 and can score. His efficiency sucks but imo, he is workable player and i find it easy to imagine him figuring things out. He has 3 point range and he draws s*** loud of fouls. Once he polishes his game he will be constant 22-25 ppg , +55% TS player. Guy is well built and will probably get even stronger given how young he is.

If i'm Utah, i'm trading both Gobert and Mitchell in near future. Imo Gobert is part of Utah's problem, his defense almost never holds in playoffs ( by the DPOY standards ) and his offense is just him bein clumbsy and on top of that he is 29 years old and will command some outrageus salary like $35M a year.

As for Utah, if they decide to keep Mitchell- Gobert for another year, than Conley simply has to go. And there is desparate need for defensive wing. After this playoffs Conley is probably only valuable as well experienced good guy on massive expiring contract. He looked shot in playoffs. Even in game 6, imo, they lost because of him. First he missed 3 point shot that he shouldn't even take, than he had transition travel, TO because he couldn't control ball. And he couldn't defend anybody. Just flat out awful perfromance by him.

UTA might also be the only team in the NBA that might welcome Fournier's deal. He and Gobert are tight and Gobert isn't exactly warm & fuzzy...Barrett, Fournier & picks might get it done for NY. And, if it matters, Mitchell would likely welcome NY - even though their roster looks like hell to me and Thibs, if allowed to stay, would end up benching Mitchell for D reasons :noway:
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#12 » by Kent » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:45 pm

JTG_92940618 wrote:Donovan fits with us in that he plays a position of need, he adds offense and we should be able to cover his defense.

BUT, for 3 years in a row now the Jazz have been better with him off the court. He's also an awkward timeline fit since we want to give Suggs (and a few others) time to get good but Mitchell would want to win right away.

It's a no from me.

This.

I like D-Mitch, but in a vacuum; I don't like his fit on this team at this time.

We're very much in a malleable state as we develop and narrow down our true contending core, and I believe we lose that flexibility by striking on Mitchell now. I just don't feel he moves the needle toward "sustainable contention" which is how I describe what WeltHam are trying to create.

Besides, despite Suggs' struggles as a rookie, he still has the potential to be better than D-Mitch, and we don't have to give up anything to have it.

I get that we want to be a great team, but we shouldn't try to rush with a move like this. I'm all for making moves, even risky ones, but a trade for Mitchell now feels more like a shot in the dark.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

UTA might also be the only team in the NBA that might welcome Fournier's deal. He and Gobert are tight and Gobert isn't exactly warm & fuzzy...Barrett, Fournier & picks might get it done for NY. And, if it matters, Mitchell would likely welcome NY - even though their roster looks like hell to me and Thibs, if allowed to stay, would end up benching Mitchell for D reasons :noway:

If they are trading Mitchell, than i would ,if i'm Utah's Gm trade everybody.
Bojan, Clarkson, Mitchell, Gobert all have massive value around league. Clarkson won 6th man and guy makes like Terrence Ross money but actually can play ( unlike Ross who gave up on basketball 3 years ago or so). Bojan is floor spacer and can give any team quality 25-30 min a game, Gobert & Mitchell are allstars.
It's just Conley who is issue to deal with, but ask Lakers about straight up Westbrook trade and they will be dancing in streets :lol:

Trading Mitchell or Gobert probably won't do much in terms of revamp, you can make argument that dealing RIGHT deals for them could make them as good, if not better team than they have today.

Playing Utah's Gm i would do something like this:
Mitchell for Alec Burk,Noel & RJ Barrett + 2022 picks ( let's say it's 11th pick and i'm taking TyTy or Mathurin)
Gobert & Clarkson for Achuwia, OG & Siakam + unprotected 2023 pick ( i'm firm beliver 2022 draft simply isn't all that good, especially outside lottery )
Bojan for Lauri Markannen ( let's face it, this 3 big men Cavs thing is going nowhere , as it was on display in playin)

So i'm stuck with Conley, fine, but my starting 5 is : Conley, RJ Barret, OG, SIakam & Achuwia/Duren. In occasations i want to play more spacing i'm putting Lauri at 5. Last year of Conley is nice experience for TyTy to take over off bench and get reps.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#14 » by Max Power » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:23 pm

Donovan Mitchell is available, so any franchise in the league has to at least have a discussion about bringing an offer. He certainly solves a couple of problems for the Magic. A superstar, and a scoring guard. I’m conflicted though to be perfectly honest.

You don’t question the talent, but I’ve read he’s not the best guy in the locker room, see the issues with Rudy Gobert. The other question is what do we give up? 3 firsts seem excessive to me, but we’d still keep ours for this years draft. Issac makes a total sense for the Jazz, if he recovers he and Gobert would be a nightmare defensively.

A Fultz/Mitchell backcourt would definitely be formidable for the Magic, and that trade along with drafting a guy like Jabari Smith gives the Magic a nice group of ingredients to cook with. I almost certainly think Suggs would be included before Cole if the Jazz have any trade interest.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#15 » by MagicHolland » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:18 pm

One thing I like to point out here is that sometimes we tend to overthink everything. We’ve been a mess ever since Dwight left. I don’t see us as some great FA destination anymore. If an opportunity like this comes across maybe, just maybe, it’s time to take a swing.

Miami was crazy for adding Butler, phoenix foolishly added Paul, Toronto gave up their future for Kahwi (but are still in the playoffs) and New Orleans… Yeah I know we can debate when the right time is..

Mitchell could be an opportunity we shouldn’t pass up. Go crazy and go all in on Ayton too!

Fultz/Mitchell/Wagner/Isaac/ayton, I could get behind that..
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,154

Post#16 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 pm

Orlando shouldn’t cut corners now.

There are many teams that can outbid Orlando.

I’m not giving up Wagner or Suggs in a Mitchell deal.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,549

Post#17 » by Bensational » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:12 pm

What about Mitchell for Lillard + Hart?

Utah takes another run with another lead guard and defensive SG, Portland starts a rebuild behind Mitchell?

For us? I’d have to wait for the lottery to decide. But if we could somehow walk away with Chet + Franz + Suggs + Mitchell I’d be pretty stoked. But I don’t think WCJ, Isaac, Fultz, Cole, Okeke, Hampton and the 23 first + Chi first can form a package to get it done.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 512

Post#18 » by Ralof » Sun May 1, 2022 7:22 am

Mitchell is gonna be FA in 3 years,that means in one and half season is gonna start the "mitchell wants to go"hype train we know so much well from"dwightmare"days.

giving assets for that type of acquisition would be a total nonsense.

mitchell has labeled "next-superstar-knicks-gonna-overpay"all over himself,is a match made in heaven.

remember is a guy who already had real locker room problems in a small market franchise,a +50 w team and a good organization btw,not the kings
Skybox
RealGM

Post#19 » by Skybox » Sun May 1, 2022 11:51 am

This ORL inferiority complex is absurd...Nobody good wants to come here. Nobody will stay here. We can't trade for a guy with THREE years left on his deal because he'll begin campaigning to leave...WTF? If it's really that bad - pull the franchise and we'll have three (or ten in NY). This comes up way too often...If a guy states a preference, fine. DeRozan wanted to go home to LA, but it didn't work out. Not everyone has the ungrateful ego to Harden his way out the minute he changes his mind (and signs the deal).

Last time I checked, everyone moves FROM NY to FL, not the other way around.

You put a good team and a good organization around young players and they'll be very happy in their sun-drenched Isleworth mansions with no state taxes.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#20 » by Skybox » Sun May 1, 2022 11:53 am

ORL is irrelevant because they are a terrible team and the current organization hasn't earned any bball respect (yet)...not because it's in ORL.

Return to Orlando Magic