ImageImageImageImage

poll: With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects ....

With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects ....

Johnny Davis
No votes
Keegan Murray
22%
Bennedict Mathurin
9%
AJ Griffin
2%
Shaedon Sharpe
63%
other (e.g. Nikola Jovic, Dyson Daniels or another)
4%

Total votes: 54

GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Re: poll: With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects .... 

Post#101 » by GelbeWand09 » Sat May 14, 2022 6:42 pm

I cant understand the fascination of many on this board for one trick pony shooters? There is a reason Robinson dont play or why Malik Beasley's minutes were cut in the playoffs. I could understand when you call for 3&D players but all the talk about the Kispert's, Robinson's & co's is way beyond me. All those guys (Duncan, Pritchard, Bertans, Nesmith, Shamet, Korkmaz, Beasley...) are bench players & too bad on defense to get big minutes when games count.
You need switchable 3&D players not the Joe Harris's of this world.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,155

Post#102 » by zaymon » Sat May 14, 2022 7:33 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:I cant understand the fascination of many on this board for one trick pony shooters? There is a reason Robinson dont play or why Malik Beasley's minutes were cut in the playoffs. I could understand when you call for 3&D players but all the talk about the Kispert's, Robinson's & co's is way beyond me. All those guys (Duncan, Pritchard, Bertans, Nesmith, Shamet, Korkmaz, Beasley...) are bench players & too bad on defense to get big minutes when games count.

While i agree about the idea, Joe Harris is not the best exemple. Yes he could be more athletic but he is 6'6 and quite strong. Look at Max Strus, Grayson Allen or even high end versions of Thompson, Booker. This archetype is important starter for a contender. You need to meet athletic treshold.
Malik Beasley is too thin, Robinson is too unathletic.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#103 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun May 15, 2022 6:40 am

zaymon wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:I cant understand the fascination of many on this board for one trick pony shooters? There is a reason Robinson dont play or why Malik Beasley's minutes were cut in the playoffs. I could understand when you call for 3&D players but all the talk about the Kispert's, Robinson's & co's is way beyond me. All those guys (Duncan, Pritchard, Bertans, Nesmith, Shamet, Korkmaz, Beasley...) are bench players & too bad on defense to get big minutes when games count.

While i agree about the idea, Joe Harris is not the best exemple. Yes he could be more athletic but he is 6'6 and quite strong. Look at Max Strus, Grayson Allen or even high end versions of Thompson, Booker. This archetype is important starter for a contender. You need to meet athletic treshold.
Malik Beasley is too thin, Robinson is too unathletic.

Yea Harris is probably the best case but I would still take any real 3&D player over him. I mean I wouldn't be against Duncan on a good contract because unlike a guy like Kispert he is not just a good set shooter. He is a great off balance shooter. But that contract was poison from day 1 for his limited skill set.

I don't even know we're Robinson should start for us. Instead of Franz at SF or instead of Suggs at SG?
Ideally probably next to Fultz but than you sit your 5th pick for him in a rebuilding situation. You can't start him next to Suggs because Jalen needs a second ballhandler next to him til he improves handles.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#104 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun May 15, 2022 12:32 pm

First off, **** Miami. We’re not bailing them out of that Robinson contract.

If we fall to 5 or 6, and we don’t trade up or include this pick in a deal to get an alpha scorer , Sharpe will be the pick because expectations will be a lot lower and you can take a swing.
WeltHamm love blue chip high school players, and you can’t do better than the #1 high school product of this class.
I hope he gets measured officially because 6’6” with a 7-foot wingspan, plus if he breaks that combine vertical jump record, plus the shooting and ball handling he’s displayed, who interviews fine, and it’s difficult to pass that up.

I don’t think Sharpe will be available 5, I think he goes 4th. So then I’m hoping we end up with one of Jabari, Paolo, or Ivey.

Also, ‘Shaedon Sharpe’ is a perfect Paul Porter PA name. Like perfect.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by zaymon » Sun May 15, 2022 12:56 pm

Terrence Ross is our version of Duncan Robinson. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Spark plug of the bench. We can start most people next to Suggs becouse we have Franz who will only get better as ball handler and WCJ who is above average playmaker.

I can sceptical of Sharpe. What we dont need is another low iq athlete. His path towards NBA doesnt scream competitor. Its very suspicious.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#106 » by basketballRob » Sun May 15, 2022 1:38 pm

zaymon wrote:Terrence Ross is our version of Duncan Robinson. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Spark plug of the bench. We can start most people next to Suggs becouse we have Franz who will only get better as ball handler and WCJ who is above average playmaker.

I can sceptical of Sharpe. What we dont need is another low iq athlete. His path towards NBA doesnt scream competitor. Its very suspicious.
Why do you think he has a low IQ?

Pretty obvious that Sharpe will be very good in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#107 » by Skybox » Sun May 15, 2022 2:21 pm

zaymon wrote:Terrence Ross is our version of Duncan Robinson. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Spark plug of the bench. We can start most people next to Suggs becouse we have Franz who will only get better as ball handler and WCJ who is above average playmaker.

TRoss doesn't want to play (at least for ORL) anymore...He should be our starter and leading scorer, but he doesn't care. This is why Sharpe scares me...I don't know anything about Sharpe, but measurables and empty gym talent clearly don't make a good player. I'm not labeling Sharpe, I'm just scared to death of the uncertainty...if he interviewed as well as Chet or Ivey, I'd have more confidence. I just hope Weltman can psychoanalyze the reality of him before we set ourselves back for another few years with a wasted pick...I'm kind of rooting for TRoss to wake up and realize how good he could be on this team...with an unlimited green light and all the PT he wants. :banghead:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#108 » by basketballRob » Sun May 15, 2022 2:28 pm

Skybox wrote:

TRoss doesn't want to play (at least for ORL) anymore...He should be our starter and leading scorer, but he doesn't care. This is why Sharpe scares me...I don't know anything about Sharpe, but measurables and empty gym talent clearly don't make a good player. I'm not labeling Sharpe, I'm just scared to death of the uncertainty...if he interviewed as well as Chet or Ivey, I'd have more confidence. I just hope Weltman can psychoanalyze the reality of him before we set ourselves back for another few years with a wasted pick...I'm kind of rooting for TRoss to wake up and realize how good he could be on this team...with an unlimited green light and all the PT he wants. :banghead:
Chet and Ivey scare me more than Sharpe, because of Chet's thin frame and Ivey's lack of mid-range/pull-up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by zaymon » Sun May 15, 2022 6:22 pm

Skybox wrote:

I dont know if Sharpe is low iq, but there is a track record of athletic marvels who grew up earlier than their counterparts. If i was a brilliant teamplayer i wouldnt do everything to not play a single game in structured environment.
One of the biggest problems i have with Weltman is that he overvalues smooth talkers. Bamba and Anthony are combination of physical tools and comedy skills rather than functional athletecism and basketball processing.
TRoss is what he is, there is no waking up for him. He should be traded at all costs, even for a second round pick.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#110 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 15, 2022 10:10 pm

I think the Magic should trade their pick and Suggs plus filler to move up to Number 1 and select Jabari if at all possible. This team could use a great PF. A Wendel/Jabari front court could be devestating with Slim coming off the bench.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#111 » by drsd » Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I think the Magic should trade their pick and Suggs plus filler to move up to Number 1 and select Jabari if at all possible. This team could use a great PF. A Wendel/Jabari front court could be devestating with Slim coming off the bench.

I assume you believe that Fultz is the future at PG. And if so, and the goal is to get a long-bomber at SG, then I wonder why you would trade so much for a backup player. Smith will not start over Carter, Isaac, and F-Wagner. And if you see him as a starter from the sophmore season on, then you also need to trade Isaac or F-Wagner based on your plan.

So: do you trade Isaac or F-Wagner to create a roster slot for an unproven rookie?

p.s. all of this assumes the Magic land at around 5. But for me I think about the reverse. That is, if Orlando wins the lottery, or the #2 pick, what trade-down offers are there? If a team in the 4 or 5 slot offer that pick plus a future first, that would be a great trade for Orlando. No Smith, but Murray, Davis, or Mathurin and a future first is a better asset hall for me than Smith. Smith is my favorite PF in this draft, as I type that.

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#112 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue May 17, 2022 9:06 pm

Sharpe could be a complete bust, but if we fall in lottery, I'm taking the swing and taking him.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,689

Post#113 » by Message Boar » Wed May 18, 2022 12:49 am

Shut it down baby! Let's goooo

Return to Orlando Magic