ImageImageImageImage

poll: With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects ....

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects ....

Johnny Davis
No votes
Keegan Murray
22%
Bennedict Mathurin
9%
AJ Griffin
2%
Shaedon Sharpe
63%
other (e.g. Nikola Jovic, Dyson Daniels or another)
4%

Total votes: 54

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Re: poll: With the Fifth pick, Orlando selects .... 

Post#81 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 9, 2022 12:36 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We only seen Dwight in high school and selected him number one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

we also took Bamba at 5.
GS took Wiseman at 2.
Bagley went 2
Bender went 4
Okafor went 3. Willie Cauley-stein went 6 same draft

yes, they did 1 year in college. but its hard to predict big men

Bigs are always a bigger risk to me. The ones projected at the top of drafts rarely pan out or retain value.

I’m actually more surprised when a player like Ayton for example meets their draft position compared to other talent on the board.That’s not to say taking Ayton over Doncic wasn’t stupid, but he was definitely worthy of top 3 in that draft retrospectively.

Not only that, but there are always more examples of bigs taken later that exceed expectations compared to other positions.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#82 » by GelbeWand09 » Mon May 9, 2022 1:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We only seen Dwight in high school and selected him number one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

we also took Bamba at 5.
GS took Wiseman at 2.
Bagley went 2
Bender went 4

Bigs are always a bigger risk to me. The ones projected at the top of drafts rarely pan out or retain value.

I’m actually more surprised when a player like Ayton for example meets their draft position compared to other talent on the board.That’s not to say taking Ayton over Doncic wasn’t stupid, but he was definitely worthy of top 3 in that draft retrospectively.

Not only that, but there are always more examples of bigs taken later that exceed expectations compared to other positions.

I think projected 2 way bigs are a good bet. They are just exremely rare but kinda always succeed like Davis, Embiid, Ayton, Bam & probably Mobley. Ayton had some questions about his defense but awesome tools. I thought Mobley gonna be the best player of last years draft because he showed 2way potential.
Drafting defensive bigs (even with a 3Pt shot) that high or not elite offensive bigs with bad defense / defensive tools is the mistake in my opinion. The reason i like Chet. He probably wont be a 1st or 2nd option, but he's gonna be a good offensive player with All-Defensive 1st team potential. In a draft like this, i take that and run.
I like Jabari or Ivey but i think they have at least as many questionmarks as Chet. I just fear we end up with Paolo and i get Vuc flashbacks for the next 5 years. ''Yo man, he scores 20ppg so everyone else must be the problem we cant win'' :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#83 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 9, 2022 3:42 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:we also took Bamba at 5.
GS took Wiseman at 2.
Bagley went 2
Bender went 4

I think projected 2 way bigs are a good bet. They are just exremely rare but kinda always succeed like Davis, Embiid, Ayton, Bam & probably Mobley. Ayton had some questions about his defense but awesome tools. I thought Mobley gonna be the best player of last years draft because he showed 2way potential.
Drafting defensive bigs (even with a 3Pt shot) that high or not elite offensive bigs with bad defense / defensive tools is the mistake in my opinion. The reason i like Chet. He probably wont be a 1st or 2nd option, but he's gonna be a good offensive player with All-Defensive 1st team potential. In a draft like this, i take that and run.
I like Jabari or Ivey but i think they have at least as many questionmarks as Chet. I just fear we end up with Paolo and i get Vuc flashbacks for the next 5 years. ''Yo man, he scores 20ppg so everyone else must be the problem we cant win'' :lol:

Yeah that’s my fear also.

I could make a case that spending a top 3 pick on a big is always a stupid idea. Why? Because they are almost never #1 options on offense and that’s what I’m expecting if they spend a pick that high in the modern age.

Even in the best case scenario that you draft Embiid or Jokic with a top 3 pick, and the hype pans out, those teams still have to be built to accommodate the offense running through them. Dwight had the perfect setup, for his skill set as a #1 pick, and they still couldn’t get it done. Ayton is the third option on his team and he was a #1 pick.

The problem with this draft is that the most hyped players are all bigs that I hear aren’t primary #1 options, they don’t pass the eye test either for that to be true. It’s basically consensus at this point that some combination of Jabari, Chet, or Paolo are going 1-3. Paolo could be that guy but he also has red flags and won’t be exploiting his size at the next level. I don’t know if Jabari is “two-way” or is capable of creating offense as a primary option. Chet looks like a gimmick to me and I’ll believe it (his offense) when I see it at the next level.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#84 » by Ralof » Wed May 11, 2022 9:35 pm

K.Murray for me at today

we could add a valuable piece in a position we need to
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#85 » by drsd » Thu May 12, 2022 7:02 am

LINK: 1 New Trade Idea for Every NBA Team

There are two trades were Orlando is secondary, and I like neither. But the focus trade is: Duncan Robinson for Terrence Ross, straight up. Yes Robinson is overpaid and this trade hurts Orlando's 2023 and 2024 cap space, but it is a roster upgrade and could lead to a play-in run for Orlando.

I think Management pulls the trigger on this trade if it were offered.

Let's say the Magic draft Smith (or another PF) and re-up Bamba and M-Wagner: the roster is essentially complete.

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

Add an LLE 3rd string combo forward (or a SRP forward), and Work done.

Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Post#86 » by Petre1978 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:48 am

drsd wrote:LINK: 1 New Trade Idea for Every NBA Team

There are two trades were Orlando is secondary, and I like neither. But the focus trade is: Duncan Robinson for Terrence Ross, straight up. Yes Robinson is overpaid and this trade hurts Orlando's 2023 and 2024 cap space, but it is a roster upgrade and could lead to a play-in run for Orlando.

Let's say the Magic draft Smith (or another PF) and re-up Bamba and M-Wagner: the roster is essentially complete.

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

Why should Miami trade Robinson for Ross?

Anyway i would like to have Robinson in Orlando.
I like your roster.

Dalen Terry as a second round pick would be a good addition.

Dalen Terry (Arizona) - 6'7 lockdown defensive PG/point forward with some impressive passing chops. Will probably be a riser in the next draft if he goes back to Arizona. Can shoot but some question marks because he didn't take a ton.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#87 » by Skybox » Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 am

Petre1978 wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

I like your roster.

Dalen Terry (Arizona) - 6'7 lockdown defensive PG/point forward with some impressive passing chops. Will probably be a riser in the next draft if he goes back to Arizona. Can shoot but some question marks because he didn't take a ton.

MIA has big financial pressures coming with Herro's upcoming extension and Butler's kicking in. Robinson is hardly playing - he has been displaced by Strus primarily. Robinson is a one tool guy making way too much...but that one tool could open the floor for us. If we added Jabari and Duncan over the summer and re-signed Harris...we'd have 3 legit floor spreaders making room for Franz, Fultz, Suggs to drive and kick. I'd do it in a second. I just know TRoss will wake the f**k up if he lands in a contending environment...he makes about half of what Robinson makes and expires after the season...even if he flops, MIA might do it, and I think Ross would likely be great again.

Given the financials and the rest of the league's inability to absorb a big deal, MIA might even add to the deal.

*EDIT...sorry, this really isn't the right thread for this
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#88 » by Xatticus » Thu May 12, 2022 11:08 am

Petre1978 wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

I like your roster.

Buyer's remorse. They owe a lot of money to a guy that has played 80 playoff minutes through ten games. They'd have to pay me for the privilege of dumping that contract, which I'm sure they'd like to do at this point.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#89 » by Petre1978 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:25 am

Skybox wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

I like your roster.

MIA has big financial pressures coming with Herro's upcoming extension and Butler's kicking in. Robinson is hardly playing - he has been displaced by Strus primarily. Robinson is a one tool guy making way too much...but that one tool could open the floor for us. If we added Jabari and Duncan over the summer and re-signed Harris...we'd have 3 legit floor spreaders making room for Franz, Fultz, Suggs to drive and kick. I'd do it in a second. I just know TRoss will wake the f**k up if he lands in a contending environment...he makes about half of what Robinson makes and expires after the season...even if he flops, MIA might do it, and I think Ross would likely be great again.

Given the financials and the rest of the league's inability to absorb a big deal, MIA might even add to the deal.

Great arguments.
I like it.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by Petre1978 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 am

Skybox wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

I like your roster.

Great arguments.
I like it.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#91 » by cedric76 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 pm

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Robinson/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

Miami cant afford Duncan+Dipo+hero so one of them has to go

I d rather go after Dipo than paid Duncan 16,902,000 next season
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#92 » by drsd » Thu May 12, 2022 1:26 pm

cedric76 wrote:I d rather go after Dipo than paid Duncan 16,902,000 next season

And I'd rather either than to start Suggs at the SG slot.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,358

Post#93 » by Knightro » Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 pm

Would Miami kick in sweetners on a Robinson/Ross swap?

Looks like the Heat owe a 2025 1st to Oklahoma City, which means they couldn't trade their 2024 or 2026 picks at this time, but 2022 and 2023 are up for grabs.

They don't really have a lot of young players to attach.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#94 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu May 12, 2022 4:47 pm

so the Orlando trade basically helps Miami clear space & screws us for the next 2-3 years ROFL **** outta here. Honestly Orlando is going to get peanuts for TRoss, It'll be another 11.5M exception and a future 2nd.

Only interesting move for Orlando would be a sign and trade with Bamba or they move Cole.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#95 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu May 12, 2022 4:48 pm

Knightro wrote:Would Miami kick in sweetners on a Robinson/Ross swap?

Looks like the Heat owe a 2025 1st to Oklahoma City, which means they couldn't trade their 2024 or 2026 picks at this time, but 2022 and 2023 are up for grabs.

They don't really have a lot of young players to attach.

I'd 100000% require Heat's 2022 1st to even start listening to this deal
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#96 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:28 am

Don't you guys think that Heat can get some value for Duncan Robinson in return?

He is having poor year and his contract is long but Heat will still need long term PF as PJ Tucker has player's option and is almost 37 years old. if they win whole thing, he might as well just flat out retire.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,596

Post#97 » by SOUL » Fri May 13, 2022 11:49 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Don't you guys think that Heat can get some value for Duncan Robinson in return?

He is having poor year and his contract is long but Heat will still need long term PF as PJ Tucker has player's option and is almost 37 years old. if they win whole thing, he might as well just flat out retire.

The conundrum is that Duncan has potential great value to a team if he has a bounce back year, but that's the risk of paying a guy that only does one thing well. If he doesn't do that thing well.. he is a liability.

So it's not like he's trash but he had a pretty trash year, and without any guarantees that he will bounce back, teams probably aren't willing to part with any valuable assets unless Duncan can complete them. Issue is there are a lot of cheap, decent shooters in the league now.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#98 » by RookieStar » Sat May 14, 2022 12:28 am

SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Don't you guys think that Heat can get some value for Duncan Robinson in return?

The conundrum is that Duncan has potential great value to a team if he has a bounce back year, but that's the risk of paying a guy that only does one thing well. If he doesn't do that thing well.. he is a liability.

So it's not like he's trash but he had a pretty trash year, and without any guarantees that he will bounce back, teams probably aren't willing to part with any valuable assets unless Duncan can complete them. Issue is there are a lot of cheap, decent shooters in the league now.

I agree and just want to add... if relatively 2nd rounders/ unknown players( gabe and struss ) are outplaying you in the playoffs no less, what incentives do teams have in taking you on. Plus, yeah... a lot of cheap decent shooters are probably available....
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#99 » by Skybox » Sat May 14, 2022 12:43 pm

So where are all these decent cheap shooters that ORL chooses not to add year after year?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#100 » by basketballRob » Sat May 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Skybox wrote:So where are all these decent cheap shooters that ORL chooses not to add year after year?
Monk

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic