ImageImageImageImage

What do Championship Caliber teams have in common?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

What do Championship Caliber teams have in common? 

Post#1 » by orthoman » Sat May 7, 2022 10:34 pm

As you all are, I too have been watching the Playoffs.

Appears that all these deep-run teams have great point guards, shooters and a superstar (s)

In the absence of a superstar, what can Orlando do this offseason to make a run towards the second round of the Playoffs next season?

Thanks for your feedback.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Re: What do Championship Caliber teams have in common? 

Post#2 » by RookieStar » Sun May 8, 2022 12:08 am

orthoman wrote:As you all are, I too have been watching the Playoffs.

Appears that all these deep-run teams have great point guards, shooters and a superstar (s)

In the absence of a superstar, what can Orlando do this offseason to make a run towards the second round of the Playoffs next season?

Right now, if ypu think about it, MIA is probably the only team without that tier-1 superstar aka face of the league followed by PHO/BOS. The closest they have is Butler and a duo of declining CP3 and Booker/ Tatum and Brown. While the others have Luka, Gian, Embiid/Harden, Ja, Curry

What I think we really need to have right away while waiting to see what Franz Suggs and 22pick can become is the 3pt shooter in the mold of Herro, Booker,Bane, Jrue etc.

I feel we already have a good PG in Fult and good Big in WCJr.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#3 » by tiderulz » Sun May 8, 2022 12:36 am

you dont really get to short cut. you typically go from the 2nd worst team in the league to fringe playoff team and continue to build from there. I dont think Orlando can do anything short of a superstar to make the 2nd round of the playoffs (Assuming you dont mean 1-past playin)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#4 » by tiderulz » Sun May 8, 2022 12:37 am

RookieStar wrote:

Right now, if ypu think about it, MIA is probably the only team without that tier-1 superstar aka face of the league followed by PHO/BOS. The closest they have is Butler and a duo of declining CP3 and Booker/ Tatum and Brown. While the others have Luka, Gian, Embiid/Harden, Ja, Curry

What I think we really need to have right away while waiting to see what Franz Suggs and 22pick can become is the 3pt shooter in the mold of Herro, Booker,Bane, Jrue etc.

Miami is the first team in awhile that reminds me of Detroit. a team better together than individually. good players but combined to be extremely good
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#5 » by basketballRob » Sun May 8, 2022 12:44 am

We need a big strong wing that can shoot, defend, and get rebounds. Like Jaylen Brown, Mikal Bridges, and Jimmy Butler. Butler isn't long but he's strong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#6 » by Skybox » Sun May 8, 2022 12:49 am

tiderulz wrote:Miami is the first team in awhile that reminds me of Detroit. a team better together than individually. good players but combined to be extremely good

Agree with this...BOS has two real stars, but more than that, their team defense is much more than the sum of its parts. Tatum was off today, but their defense means they're never out of it.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Sun May 8, 2022 12:53 am

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Miami is the first team in awhile that reminds me of Detroit. a team better together than individually. good players but combined to be extremely good

The problem I think with both MIA and BOS ia that when they face a superstar big like a giannis jokic embiid Ayton etc, they don't have the size to contain them.

But yeah their team defense is good.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#8 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun May 8, 2022 1:58 am

basketballRob wrote:We need a big strong wing that can shoot, defend, and get rebounds. Like Jaylen Brown, Mikal Bridges, and Jimmy Butler. Butler isn't long but he's strong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Everybody needs that. It’s the equivalent of saying “you need a really good player.”

It’s going to take time for Suggs, Wagner, 22’ pick to gel and come together. What they need to do is determine who the foundation players are and continue to develop and add pieces to the group that fit the team. We’re not making it to R2 of the PO’s next season unless an elite player falls into our laps.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#9 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 8, 2022 2:21 am

Super Star(s) and defense plus top level coaching
ReadyOrlando
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#10 » by ReadyOrlando » Sun May 8, 2022 2:25 am

RookieStar wrote:

And one
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#11 » by Knightro » Sun May 8, 2022 2:31 am

At the most basic level you need at least two higher end three-level scorers regardless of position. If they can also create for others, that's a huge bonus. If they can also defend, that's a smaller bonus.

And then you need multiple role players capable of either A. defending, B. making threes or C. rebounding at a high level. Ideally you can find a few guys that can do multiple of those.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#12 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 8, 2022 5:38 am

Good coaching, structure, experience, at least 1 superstar , 1 additional allstar , role players who know their role
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#13 » by p0peye » Sun May 8, 2022 12:15 pm

Actual talent acquired through trades, FA and draft.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#14 » by Def Swami » Sun May 8, 2022 12:58 pm

Better players, better players, better players.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#15 » by Skybox » Sun May 8, 2022 1:44 pm

You just can't function without 3pt shooting or at least the threat of it...one or two snipers would open things up so much for our young ball handlers. The headlines would be all about Fultz and Suggs, but the enabler would be the Duncan Robinson, Jabari Smith types...even if they're missing, they can't be left alone. Changes everything.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,566

Post#16 » by Bergmaniac » Sun May 8, 2022 2:53 pm

orthoman wrote:In the absence of a superstar, what can Orlando do this offseason to make a run towards the second round of the Playoffs next season?

Nothing, we are not getting to the second round, East is too strong and we are nowhere near good enough even if we get a star rookie from the draft.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#17 » by Knightro » Sun May 8, 2022 3:11 pm

Skybox wrote:You just can't function without 3pt shooting or at least the threat of it...one or two snipers would open things up so much for our young ball handlers. The headlines would be all about Fultz and Suggs, but the enabler would be the Duncan Robinson, Jabari Smith types...even if they're missing, they can't be left alone. Changes everything.

It certainly helps, but you don't *have* to actually make a lot of threes to have a great offense.

The Grizzlies, Suns and Nets ranked 4th, 5th and 10th in ORTG, but just 23rd, 21st and 24th in 3PT made this past season.

An NBA offense can survive and even thrive off a lot of midrange shots if a few things are true. A. they have elite shotmakers B. they have enough legitimate 3PT threats to bend the defense into creating quality shots for their elite shotmakers and C. they don't really allow their bad shotmakers to take anything but quality shots (layups/wide open 3s).

It's just hard to replicate that because at the core you need a Chris Paul/Kevin Durant type of superstar capable of making shots at an elite level from midrange.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,566

Post#18 » by Bergmaniac » Sun May 8, 2022 3:40 pm

Grizzlies main strength on offense this season was their offensive rebounding, they were only 24th in TS% but 1st in offensive rebounding rate, which made the 4th in offensive rating.
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#19 » by orthoman » Sun May 8, 2022 6:04 pm

You all bring up good points....

I agree one superstar is needed, one additional all-star, one of which is a feared 3 pt. shooter

I feel also a second deadly shooter is needed from 3 pt. range, and great coaching, solid defense and good role players.

Rethinking what you all have said, I do think we have a chance at MAKING the playoffs, not 2rd.

Given that Fultz is a playmaker and neither he and Suggs are deadly shooters, I believe we need a great shooter from this draft, whoever that is?

So, in the absence of a superstar, I''d go with Jabari Smith as a first choice, then whomever is the second best shooter, if the lottery is favorable for us.

Next season has the potential to be exciting if these guys can stay healthy.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#20 » by OrlandoSaban » Sat May 14, 2022 2:25 am

tiderulz wrote:

you dont really get to short cut. you typically go from the 2nd worst team in the league to fringe playoff team and continue to build from there. I dont think Orlando can do anything short of a superstar to make the 2nd round of the playoffs (Assuming you dont mean 1-past playin)

Did you say playoffs? NO. NO. NO! We need to tank and purposely lose for the next 5 seasons before even thinking about wanting to make the playoffs!

Return to Orlando Magic