ImageImageImageImage

Victor Oladipo? Could we give him a chance?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Re: Victor Oladipo? 

Post#41 » by tiderulz » Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 am

MasterGMer wrote:What now guys? Watching Victor strive in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals, do we need an alpha dog in him?

He is cheap and we can possibly sign him with our MLE and use the rest of our salary cap in other players.

He is an utility guy, much like Robin Lopez this year. A great locker room presence to the young core

Let's sign him and give him a chance

i dont think he will be as cheap as you think. He lost out on a LOT of money the past few years. he just turned 30, he will look for a big deal, his last big deal
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#42 » by cedric76 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 am

tiderulz wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:What now guys? Watching Victor strive in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals, do we need an alpha dog in him?

He is cheap and we can possibly sign him with our MLE and use the rest of our salary cap in other players.

He is an utility guy, much like Robin Lopez this year. A great locker room presence to the young core

i dont think he will be as cheap as you think. He lost out on a LOT of money the past few years. he just turned 30, he will look for a big deal, his last big deal

Only 2 teams could /would offer him a contract above the mle

Miami and Orlando
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#43 » by drsd » Wed May 18, 2022 3:49 pm

cedric76 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Miami and Orlando

Oladipo on 3 for 45 (15M per), draft Smith, and re-up Bamba and M-Wagner. Trade Ross for "anything" (i.e. future SRP top-59 protected).

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith/Bol
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

That roster might make this year's play-in.

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,558

Post#44 » by Bergmaniac » Fri May 20, 2022 1:21 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:Victor needs to accept a one year "prove it" contract to prove that he can still play.

I wouldn't be opposed to offering him that.

He signed such contract last summer, I doubt he would be willing to do it two seasons in a row.

But with his injury history, age and how poor his jumpshot has looked since his latest comeback, he may not have much of a choice.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#45 » by cedric76 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:42 pm

drsd wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont think he will be as cheap as you think. He lost out on a LOT of money the past few years. he just turned 30, he will look for a big deal, his last big deal

Miami and Orlando

Oladipo on 3 for 45 (15M per), draft Smith, and re-up Bamba and M-Wagner. Trade Ross for "anything" (i.e. future SRP top-59 protected).

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith/Bol
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

I like it
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Re: Victor Oladipo? Could we give him a chance? 

Post#46 » by Statlanta » Fri May 20, 2022 1:45 pm

Victor should be Option 2 or 3 after this FA. We have the most money, we should be saving it for starters not bench players.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#47 » by tiderulz » Fri May 20, 2022 1:50 pm

drsd wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont think he will be as cheap as you think. He lost out on a LOT of money the past few years. he just turned 30, he will look for a big deal, his last big deal

Miami and Orlando

Fultz/Anthony/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/Hampton
F-Wagner/Okeke
Isaac/Smith/Bol
Carter/Bamba/M-Wagner

where is this coming from though? Victor played 8 games in the regular season coming back from injury. His play in the playoffs is even worse. 11 ppg, sub 40% from the field, sub 28% from 3. that type of production doesnt normally cost $15mil/year. unless you are completely banking on getting pre-injury Indiana version of Victor
MagicFan12345
Senior
And1: 529

Post#48 » by MagicFan12345 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Why would Magic sign him after trading him? The ship has sailed
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,628

Post#49 » by Skybox » Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm

MagicFan12345 wrote:

Why would Magic sign him after trading him? The ship has sailed

That logic has no logic...completely different time in our team's history and, especially, his. I'd give him 15 for 3, but 3rd year a team option. So, more than others, some security for him, but protecting ourselves from too big a financial hit if he never gets back. I'd be looking for a lot more out of him than RoLo. He knows how to play like a winner, way more mature and interested in his legacy, but also humbled a bit by the severe injury and missed time immediately after "arriving". He'd be grateful for the showcase opportunity and appreciative of how fleeting stardom can be. He was a happy-go-lucky kid his last time around...he's seen a lot of highs and lows since. He'll want the financial security of multi-years but I think he also will want more than ring-chasing for 10mpg (for a lot less $$).

One more example of how we could possibly not squander our financial advantages that we have NOW. Not a lot of suitors have money this summer-weaponize that with a guy at the crossroads himself. There's bigger deals I'd welcome, but Vic is something to discuss. We'd have enough left to re-sign Harris and maybe Bamba (or at least SnT).
Skybox
RealGM

Post#50 » by Skybox » Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 pm

He didn't have a great night last night but he DID get to the line 10x...that sounds like what our whole team did per game last season.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Bergmaniac » Fri May 20, 2022 8:27 pm

Skybox wrote:He didn't have a great night last night but he DID get to the line 10x...that sounds like what our whole team did per game last season.

All of his FTs were in garbage time.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#52 » by drsd » Fri May 20, 2022 8:33 pm

MagicFan12345 wrote:Why would Magic sign him after trading him? The ship has sailed

Orlando had to choose between Fournier and Oladipo. And it actually ended up as the correct choice, probably.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skybox » Sat May 21, 2022 1:42 am

Bergmaniac wrote:
Skybox wrote:He didn't have a great night last night but he DID get to the line 10x...that sounds like what our whole team did per game last season.

All of his FTs were in garbage time.

It’s not that cut and dry…26 mins of garbage time

And, if it was garbage time, they’d be less likely to contest shots

Regardless…TEN
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#54 » by Nyce_1 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:41 pm

I'm intrigued. Very intrigued. If his mentality aligns with our organization, it could work and be a high reward gamble. Also depends on the goals of the FO; do they want to continue development and the slow-bake process to see what we truly have or do they want to push a few chips in and be kinda serious about winning some games for a playoff push? If he embraced that vet mentality to teach our kids, it could REALLY work.

Fultz/Cole/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/RJ
Franz/Okeke/2nd rounder
Jabari/JI/M.Wagner
WCj/Bamba/RoLo

Unfortunately, in this scenario, RJ gets shafted. Depending how the FO views his progress this summer, and his projection, I'd argue their belief in RJ weighs in their decision on what caliber vet wing they bring in.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#55 » by Skybox » Sun May 22, 2022 5:08 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I'm intrigued. Very intrigued. If his mentality aligns with our organization, it could work and be a high reward gamble. Also depends on the goals of the FO; do they want to continue development and the slow-bake process to see what we truly have or do they want to push a few chips in and be kinda serious about winning some games for a playoff push? If he embraced that vet mentality to teach our kids, it could REALLY work.

Fultz/Cole/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/RJ
Franz/Okeke/2nd rounder
Jabari/JI/M.Wagner
WCj/Bamba/RoLo

Unfortunately, in this scenario, RJ gets shafted. Depending how the FO views his progress this summer, and his projection, I'd argue their belief in RJ weighs in their decision on what caliber vet wing they bring in.

That's how I see it...fairly low financial risk (as opposed to paying someone like Ayton, Lavine or Simons WAY too much) with a possibility of great reward...we'd still have money left to re-sign Harris (or similar) and maybe make some other lesser moves(TRoss, Bamba...) in addition to adding the #1 overall.

As far as RJ being shafted, he just hasn't shown much...they could keep him around for another try-or move him while he still may have some promise to another team.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#56 » by tiderulz » Sun May 22, 2022 6:52 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I'm intrigued. Very intrigued. If his mentality aligns with our organization, it could work and be a high reward gamble. Also depends on the goals of the FO; do they want to continue development and the slow-bake process to see what we truly have or do they want to push a few chips in and be kinda serious about winning some games for a playoff push? If he embraced that vet mentality to teach our kids, it could REALLY work.

Fultz/Cole/Cannady
Oladipo/Suggs/RJ
Franz/Okeke/2nd rounder
Jabari/JI/M.Wagner
WCj/Bamba/RoLo

RJ's play doesnt warrant any consideration on how a move would affect him. barely an NBA player in my mind
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#57 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:58 pm

I feel like he is cooked. He looks to be very slow to do anything on offense, his shots are all flat. Yes, on defense he still can do something from time to time, but overall he isn't giving up you much.
Also i struggle to see how he will survive 50 games in regular season. Especially as starter.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#58 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 22, 2022 7:21 pm

As long as Oladipo's defense is there, any team who signs him should be fine. But the truth is, he still has gas left in the tank, especially on the offensive end. Remember our last game against Heat, Oladipo poured in 40 points?

How do you feel about a lineup? Fultz, Oladipo, Franz, Chet and WCJ plus Isaac, Cole and Suggs. We can win a lot more games than this year!
Bergmaniac
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Bergmaniac » Sun May 22, 2022 7:31 pm

MasterGMer wrote:As long as Oladipo's offense is there, any team who signs him should be fine. But the truth is, he still has gas left in the tank, especially on the offensive end. Remember our last game against Heat, Oladipo poured in 40 points?

He looks way better on defense than on offense to me. Scoring 40 points against Magic's reserves in the last game of the season where our players were thinking mostly about their summer break isn't much of an achievement. In the playoffs against actual competition almost all of his impact has been on defense, his shot has looked quite bad and he's struggled mightily to make a layup against any form of contest.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#60 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Sun May 22, 2022 7:36 pm

Hasn’t played more than 40 games in a season since 17-18..Idk about sure fire starter. Definitely think he could make some impact plays off the bench. Highly doubt he agrees to that with us though.

Return to Orlando Magic