ImageImageImageImage

Victor Oladipo? Could we give him a chance?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Re: Victor Oladipo? Could we give him a chance? 

Post#61 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:As long as Oladipo's offense is there, any team who signs him should be fine. But the truth is, he still has gas left in the tank, especially on the offensive end. Remember our last game against Heat, Oladipo poured in 40 points?

He looks way better on defense than on offense to me. Scoring 40 points against Magic's reserves in the last game of the season where our players were thinking mostly about their summer break isn't much of an achievement. In the playoffs against actual competition almost all of his impact has been on defense, his shot has looked quite bad and he's struggled mightily to make a layup against any form of contest.

Sorry, TYPO. Should be "if defense is there".
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#62 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 22, 2022 7:56 pm

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:Hasn’t played more than 40 games in a season since 17-18..Idk about sure fire starter. Definitely think he could make some impact plays off the bench. Highly doubt he agrees to that with us though.

That is why we can sign him cheap or using our MLE
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Post#63 » by cedric76 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:29 am

Dipo is cooking
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#64 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Another big night...even in a 20 pt loss, HE HAD A POSITIVE +/-

-played the most minutes on the whole roster...don't tell me it was 30 mins of junk time
-4 for 7 from 3pt
-8 FTA's
-6 assists

'23 All-Star from ORL
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#65 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 24, 2022 4:50 pm

Would he even want to come back? He probably has bad memories from our front office (although different now I know).
aka: prorl
cedric76
RealGM

Post#66 » by cedric76 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Would he even want to come back? He probably has bad memories from our front office (although different now I know).

Money talks

unleash Jett next seaon
Skybox
RealGM

Post#67 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 6:21 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Would he even want to come back? He probably has bad memories from our front office (although different now I know).

Money talks

Money, Role, weather, supporting cast (as in "you're not a role player-you're a leader here")...I can't see a better situation from his perspective...I don't want to OVERpay him either, just more than all of the MLE teams can offer (along with the tax and opportunity benefits) and maybe 3 years guaranteed.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#68 » by cedric76 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:58 pm

Do you prefer offering a 3 yrs contract above the MLE to Dipo or resign Harris to a 1yr Max contract to Gary Harris?

unleash Jett next seaon
Skybox
RealGM

Post#69 » by Skybox » Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm

cedric76 wrote:Do you prefer offering a 3 yrs contract above the MLE to Dipo or resign Harris to a 1yr Max contract to Gary Harris?

To me, it's Dipo based on upside. Harris is great, but he is what he is. I understand the money is just sitting there, like the Jeff Green deal, and won't be any kind of overpay but I don't see any reason to play it one year at a time. Be very happy to sign them both at 15 apiece, but I'd be more invested in Dipo's progress...medicals, of course, would be key, but he looked good in limited games with MIA.

Harris is rock-solid, IMO, but he's a solid B and we need at least a swing at a possible A.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#70 » by Nyce_1 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:32 pm

Pass.

I was open to the idea last week, but watched a recent interview with him, and his mentality just isn't the right fit for our team. I thought he would've grown up a bit, or changed, but nah....don't want his mindset around our guys.

Hard pass.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#71 » by cedric76 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:33 pm

Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Do you prefer offering a 3 yrs contract above the MLE to Dipo or resign Harris to a 1yr Max contract to Gary Harris?

To me, it's Dipo based on upside. Harris is great, but he is what he is. I understand the money is just sitting there, like the Jeff Green deal, and won't be any kind of overpay but I don't see any reason to play it one year at a time. Be very happy to sign them both at 15 apiece, but I'd be more invested in Dipo's progress...medicals, of course, would be key, but he looked good in limited games with MIA.

Harris is rock-solid, IMO, but he's a solid B and we need at least a swing at a possible A.

I cant see Dipo being a Possible A, I just want a Vet that will not hurt our 2023 CAP

unleash Jett next seaon
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#72 » by Ralof » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 pm

can't get this obsession for guards who want ball in their hands,bruson,oladipo,simons,lavine,ecc.

oladipo coming back to orlando would not be a 3-D type of guy who plays to make suggs,fultz or anthony better.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#73 » by Skybox » Tue May 31, 2022 6:28 pm

Ralof wrote:can't get this obsession for guards who want ball in their hands,bruson,oladipo,simons,lavine,ecc.

oladipo coming back to orlando would not be a 3-D type of guy who plays to make suggs,fultz or anthony better.

Those guys have plenty of need to make themselves better. We need an Alpha scorer at some point...I love Fultz and Suggs, but building around their offensive limitations isn't the way to go. Jabari will make them better, but limiting our SG spot to a solid 3&D guy like Harris is putting a big ceiling on our team...there are definitely good arguments against Oladipo, but that doesn't include "doesn't want the ball".

I like the idea of Vic because he's been there (All-Star, team leader, high scoring 2-way SG) but he might be had relatively cheap and is right at our biggest position of need. I'm also wanting to be proactive THIS offseason rather than join the party next summer when EVERYONE has cap money...this summer, we have a big advantage (if we see anybody we want-maybe we don't).
Skybox
RealGM

Post#74 » by Skybox » Tue May 31, 2022 6:33 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I cant see Dipo being a Possible A, I just want a Vet that will not hurt our 2023 CAP

You just want to jump into the FA pool with all of the other teams and hope FA's choose us? I must say, I find it very refreshing - most here prefer the "noone will ever want to come here" angle. Woe is us. Keep tanking...Personally, I like our position to make a splash this summer, when the pool is relatively empty...we just need a disgruntled young guy (preferably a big scorer at SG) to ask out (Mitchell ideally, but Vic is 2nd tier at a fraction of the cost). We could probably sign him at only a bit more than TRoss, if we gave him a few years of security...to me, that's a good bet.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#75 » by Bergmaniac » Tue May 31, 2022 7:03 pm

Neither. 1 year max contract for a non-star in a rebuilding or tanking year is wasted money. And 3 years contract for Dipo who is already 30 and doesn't give us what we need the most (reliable scoring and playmaking) would also be a mistake IMO.

Dipo looked really good defensively in the playoffs, but we need offense much more than defense and he was just bad on that end (he shot 36% from the field and 26% from 3 and struggled mightily to make a layup against any contest). Maybe he'll improve significantly on that end with time, but he's already 30 with a shaky jumpshot and lots of injuries behind him, so I wouldn't bet on it. He's also unlikely to be willing to play second fiddle to your young players. He'd be a great fit on a contender which needs more defense and where he would accept a limited role on offense, but not here.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#76 » by Ralof » Tue May 31, 2022 7:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
Ralof wrote:can't get this obsession for guards who want ball in their hands,bruson,oladipo,simons,lavine,ecc.

Those guys have plenty of need to make themselves better. We need an Alpha scorer at some point...I love Fultz and Suggs, but building around their offensive limitations isn't the way to go. Jabari will make them better, but limiting our SG spot to a solid 3&D guy like Harris is putting a big ceiling on our team...

Franz and suggs are sophomore next year and well'have #1 incoming,as a rookie.
those are the guys we'll build around.

acquiring oladipo or any other ball dominant player is like to already giving up on them.tbh can not see the sense at all.
putting with them a 3-D veteran is exactly what we need to have them in best position to have success.

putting ceiling on our team is exactly imo taking guys like dipo and brunson,who change basically nothing for us.
this"alpha scorer"obsession is exactly why a no-upside young disaster like cole anthony is tolerated so much.

we still have to figure our core,i mean we still have to draft one third of it,and we are already looking for alternatives?
can not understand that.

and btw,there is always time to get scorers,pretty easy to find them at some point,cj is gone for sale for basically nothing,sexton was available even before injury.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#77 » by MasterGMer » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:02 am

Sign Oladipo with MLE? I am warming up of signing Bamba to a reasonable contract also.

Oladipo can impact the team more than productivity on the court but also in the locker room and team culture.

If we have Chet or Jabari, both are high character guys IMO, getting Oladipo can teach them how to be a pro.

Free Agency in July 1st. It is going to be a fun summer
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#78 » by drsd » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am

Question: what is better - Harris on 1 year 20M or Oladipo on 2-years at 30M?
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 845

Post#79 » by axl_c_cool » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:22 am

drsd wrote:Question: what is better - Harris on 1 year 20M or Oladipo on 2-years at 30M?
Oladipo for me

Sent from my SM-G996B using RealGM mobile app
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
cedric76
RealGM

Post#80 » by cedric76 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:20 pm

drsd wrote:Question: what is better - Harris on 1 year 20M or Oladipo on 2-years at 30M?

Harris

unleash Jett next seaon

Return to Orlando Magic