ImageImageImageImage

What does Mo Bamba play like?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Re: What does Mo Bamba play like? 

Post#21 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu May 12, 2022 4:52 pm

The Effect wrote:Funny how people are willing to get rid of him for 10-12m, but are perfectly fine with a cripple like Isaac getting 17m "because of his potential"

Personally given the choice of keeping Bamba for 10-13 vs Isaac at 17, give me Bamba all day, atleast hes likely to play more than 30 games.....and im not even a big bamba fan.

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Like a dumb Channing Frye.

Literally the perfect comparison

where's the neither option.. Isaac will be a shell of himself when he comes back and will take the rest of his contract to even get going IMO. Bamba is just a dude who relied and got by on his size in college with a much slower less physical college game
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#22 » by basketballRob » Thu May 12, 2022 7:41 pm

The funniest thing I heard this season was Bamba wasn't a good 3 pt. shooter. You can't change his percentages, he's a 36% 3 pt shooter. Before that it was he can't physically play 30 minutes, or he'll foul out. Lol

I want him to go to another team so he can get a fresh start. Most of the stuff that's said about him here is false.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#23 » by fateis007 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:03 pm

Bamba is a grade b Bust. Not out of the league, but really besides a handful of games where he shined some, dude has never taken over a game and always plays with low energy. If you look at his per 36 numbers, they are actually quite good, only problem is he's not able to play 36 mins a game so we have no idea. Dont really care what they do with him at this point
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#24 » by JF5 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:09 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Like a dumb Channing Frye.

Sounds about right...
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#25 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 13, 2022 4:22 pm

basketballRob wrote:The funniest thing I heard this season was Bamba wasn't a good 3 pt. shooter. You can't change his percentages, he's a 36% 3 pt shooter. Before that it was he can't physically play 30 minutes, or he'll foul out. Lol

I want him to go to another team so he can get a fresh start. Most of the stuff that's said about him here is false.

So the reason we were so awful this year wasn't Bamba, wasn't Wendell, wasn't Franz, wasn't Fultz wasn't ....

We were crap and Mo has to share more than his fair share of the responsibility. Either that, or we continue to set mediocre standards and perform to them. Bamba has come along some, but would the Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Celtics put up with what he puts out on the floor on an average night as a starter? I don't think so.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballRob » Fri May 13, 2022 4:42 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
basketballRob wrote:The funniest thing I heard this season was Bamba wasn't a good 3 pt. shooter. You can't change his percentages, he's a 36% 3 pt shooter. Before that it was he can't physically play 30 minutes, or he'll foul out. Lol

So the reason we were so awful this year wasn't Bamba, wasn't Wendell, wasn't Franz, wasn't Fultz wasn't ....

We were crap and Mo has to share more than his fair share of the responsibility. Either that, or we continue to set mediocre standards and perform to them. Bamba has come along some, but would the Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Celtics put up with what he puts out on the floor on an average night as a starter? I don't think so.
The roster was designed to be bad. They didn't exhaust the money they had to improve the team. They brought in a bunch of G league players. They also purposely sat players to improve chances of losing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#27 » by Magic_Kingdom » Fri May 13, 2022 4:49 pm

There is a lot to be said for "addition by subtraction". What message are you sending the team's young players if the Magic re-sign Bamba? For 4 years he hasn't contributed to a winning culture, hasn't given a whole lot of effort, hasn't improved much, and started every night for a team trying to lose games. This is why you don't bring him back, even for the qualifying offer. Move on. Start changing the culture and stop rewarding mediocrity. Let him go make a bunch of money on cruise control for the Sacramento Kings or Knicks or whoever. Plus, look at the teams still alive in the playoffs -- is a Bamba-type player even a necessary component of a winning formula?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#28 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Crap

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#29 » by Catledge » Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 pm

Serious answer: Brook Lopez (the current version, not his prime) is a good comparison in terms of both style and ability.

Brook, incidentally, makes $13m, which seems like a fair price for Mo.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#30 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Year 1: -14,9 net rating
year 2 : +0,5 net rating
year 3: -12,9 net rating
year 4: -9,6 net rating

at some point it becomes obvious he doesn't bring anything positive to a team. He is player who is lazy ( or at least looks lazy ) who tanks your offense even when he makes shots and doesn't really improve defense despite empty calory blocks.

On most nba teams he would be bench C who would be removed from rotation in playoffs. Paying big bucks for 12-15 mpg bench player is simply waste of money. not sure Mortiz Wagner is that much worst and he is definition of third stringer.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#31 » by basketballRob » Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pm

Vucevic has only had 2 positive net rating seasons out of 12. It wasn't until Vuc was 28 before he had a good net rating. Just want to point out that we judge Mo differently than other players that were on the same team. Mo has had 1 in 4 seasons.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#32 » by drsd » Sat May 14, 2022 7:56 am

basketballRob wrote:Vucevic has only had 2 positive net rating seasons out of 12. It wasn't until Vuc was 28 before he had a good net rating. Just want to point out that we judge Mo differently than other players that were on the same team. Mo has had 1 in 4 seasons.

Vučević is an elite rebounder. Given Bamba's height and length, he is very poor as a rebounder relative to expectations.

drsd
RealGM

Post#33 » by drsd » Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am

pepe1991 wrote:not sure Mortiz Wagner is that much worst and he is definition of third stringer.

If we consider that the primary jobs of non-superstar NBA Centers are to rebound and set screens, I would argue that M-Wagner is better than Bamba based on those criteria.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#34 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:43 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:not sure Mortiz Wagner is that much worst and he is definition of third stringer.

If we consider that the primary jobs of non-superstar NBA Centers are to rebound and set screens, I would argue that M-Wagner is better than Bamba based on those criteria.

Screening is by far the worst aspect of his game, he just avoids contact and moves before it happends.
It's just gimmicky attemp to tell "see coach, i tried".
You don't go on 20 games streak without FT as center if you don't avoid contact all the time.

Lack of good screens exploits Magic bad playmakers even more.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#35 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:45 am

drsd wrote:

Screening is by far the worst aspect of his game, he just avoids contact and moves before it happends.
You don't go on 20 games streak without FT as center if you don't avoid contact all the time.

drsd
RealGM

Post#36 » by drsd » Sat May 14, 2022 9:20 am

pepe1991 wrote:Screening is by far the worst aspect of his game, he just avoids contact and moves before it happends.

Is "his" Bamba or M-Wagner in this discussion? As neither is really that good at setting screens. Itt is just that for me, M-Wagner is "not as bad".

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#37 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:24 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Screening is by far the worst aspect of his game, he just avoids contact and moves before it happends.

Is "his" Bamba or M-Wagner in this discussion? As neither is really that good at setting screens. Itt is just that for me, M-Wagner is "not as bad".

Wagner at least sometimes gets physcal, Bamba can't set pick to save his life and leaks out for 3s all the time.

Give me Wag on 1-2 M over Bamba on over $5M all day every day.

As somebody wrote Bamba if dumb Frye on offense on defense he is 40 years Camby, gets blocks at expense of gambling, overplaying weak side or simply leaving assigments. Man that sounds like older Ibaka lol
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Sat May 14, 2022 9:39 am

pepe1991 wrote:Wagner at least sometimes gets physcal, Bamba can't set pick to save his life and leaks out for 3s all the time.

Give me Wag on 1-2 M over Bamba on over $5M all day every day.

As somebody wrote Bamba if dumb Frye on offense on defense he is 40 years Camby, gets blocks at expense of gambling, overplaying weak side or simply leaving assigments. Man that sounds like older Ibaka lol

And as I have said before, I actually think M-Wagner has more upside in his development than Bamba. If M-Wagner can learn fundamental team defense, he will be a multi-year backup big in the NBA. He has a clear role. What's Bamba's "clear role"? His games is as a starter, but his development does not project to lead to there. Bamba is not going to be a competent backup Center. He does not understand what a 10-15 mpg big is supposed to provide. If I were him, I would aim for rolling a deuce of 6s. He needs to have a transformational improvement if he is going to find a role in the NBA.

My thoughts: reup M-Wagner and then look to extend him on a 3-year 10M deal afterwards (resigning in the 2023 off-season). Add Bamba in a SnT this off-season. Find a new backup Center.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Sat May 14, 2022 10:49 am

drsd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Vucevic has only had 2 positive net rating seasons out of 12. It wasn't until Vuc was 28 before he had a good net rating. Just want to point out that we judge Mo differently than other players that were on the same team. Mo has had 1 in 4 seasons.

Vučević is an elite rebounder. Given Bamba's height and length, he is very poor as a rebounder relative to expectations.

Vucevic rebound rate is 18.6 and Bamba's is 17.3. His rate went down last season when he was in the lineup with another center. He rebounds as well as Vuc. Mo's DBPM is 1.0, Vuc DBPM is 0.2. Mo could end up as good as Vuc.

Moe Wagner's is 12.3.

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

Post#40 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat May 14, 2022 2:35 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:

Vucevic rebound rate is 18.6 and Bamba's is 17.3. His rate went down last season when he was in the lineup with another center. He rebounds as well as Vuc. Mo's DBPM is 1.0, Vuc DBPM is 0.2. Mo could end up as good as Vuc.

Moe Wagner's is 12.3.

Only conclusion I draw from this is a what a damn robbery the Vuc trade was and will go down as the best trade in our franchise’s history.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.

Return to Orlando Magic