ImageImageImageImage

Trading the pick

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Trading the pick 

Post#1 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 18, 2022 10:16 am

in the ESPN article on the lottery, Wetman had this to say:
"Obviously with that will come a lot of conversations, and it'll be interesting to see some of the calls that come up, but mostly it means that we get to familiarize ourselves now with elite prospects and we get to add one to our team," Weltman said.

Weltman said he believes there are "a lot of elite level prospects" at the top of the draft, and the team will do its due diligence.

"I do feel that as [these top prospects] start to make the rounds, teams will start to fall in love with guys, which is what generally happens," Weltman said. "And generally leverage will kind of unfold from there, ut I know we'll have a lot of interesting discussions with teams. Obviously we don't go into this thing looking to trade our pick.

interesting opening comments. Sounds like we are open for business.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33935283/orlando-magic-win-top-pick-2022-nba-draft-lottery-followed-oklahoma-city-thunder-sacramento-kings-jump-no-4
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Re: Trading the pick 

Post#2 » by drsd » Wed May 18, 2022 11:58 am

JBSouthpaw wrote:in the ESPN article on the lottery, Wetman had this to say:
"Obviously with that will come a lot of conversations, and it'll be interesting to see some of the calls that come up, but mostly it means that we get to familiarize ourselves now with elite prospects and we get to add one to our team," Weltman said.

Weltman said he believes there are "a lot of elite level prospects" at the top of the draft, and the team will do its due diligence.

"I do feel that as [these top prospects] start to make the rounds, teams will start to fall in love with guys, which is what generally happens," Weltman said. "And generally leverage will kind of unfold from there, ut I know we'll have a lot of interesting discussions with teams. Obviously we don't go into this thing looking to trade our pick.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33935283/orlando-magic-win-top-pick-2022-nba-draft-lottery-followed-oklahoma-city-thunder-sacramento-kings-jump-no-4

The Magic trading this pick to OKC is so obvious that I expect it to actually occur. Whether, with the #2, it is for the #12 or for a package of future 1sts, we will see. But this rumour will continue until the 2nd pick is selected (i.e. the Magic might not trade tthe pick, but could still then trade the rights).

The team sitting pretty is Houston. At #3, the Rockets will be very happy with whatever PF is available.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,914

Post#3 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 18, 2022 12:01 pm

They’ve already said they aren’t trading the pick. /thread
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#4 » by fendilim » Wed May 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Meh. Nothing significant. Boring.

With their experience, they aren’t turning any stones unturned. I’m sure talks for the first pick happens every year. I’m sure they have previously inquired for the first pick in previous drafts too.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#5 » by jezzerinho » Wed May 18, 2022 12:54 pm

When Weltman started talking about league interest in his pick, the question he was answering had nothing to do with trading out. It was made kinda out of left field which makes me pretty convinced they're tendering offers and hoping to drum up business while they're with other teams at the Combine.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#6 » by Skybox » Wed May 18, 2022 1:03 pm

He's saying what he has to and should say...nothing.

Long gone are the days when the lottery winner pulls out a jersey with "Ewing" or "Robinson" or "O'Neal" already stitched up
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#7 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 18, 2022 1:04 pm

jezzerinho wrote:When Weltman started talking about league interest in his pick, the question he was answering had nothing to do with trading out. It was made kinda out of left field which makes me pretty convinced they're tendering offers and hoping to drum up business while they're with other teams at the Combine.

Good point, I should have included that in the opening post.
I thought it was weird too.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#8 » by basketballRob » Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:in the ESPN article on the lottery, Wetman had this to say:

The Magic trading this pick to OKC is so obvious that I expect it to actually occur. Whether, with the #2, it is for the #12 or for a package of future 1sts, we will see. But this rumour will continue until the 2nd pick is selected (i.e. the Magic might not trade tthe pick, but could still then trade the rights).

The team sitting pretty is Houston. At #3, the Rockets will be very happy with whatever PF is available.

I think OKC will be happy with whoever falls to them at 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#9 » by fendilim » Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Skybox wrote:He's saying what he has to and should say...nothing.

Long gone are the days when the lottery winner pulls out a jersey with "Ewing" or "Robinson" or "O'Neal" already stitched up

Or the lack of clear cut generational talent

Or maybe… inflation :D
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#10 » by JF5 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Ehhhh, I think they're looking at options... I'm not too convinced they're trading the pick.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#11 » by Skybox » Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm

fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:He's saying what he has to and should say...nothing.

Or the lack of clear cut generational talent

Or maybe… inflation :D

Actually the big difference is guys coming out of college with 2+ years of development and physical maturity. You knew what you were getting.
MagicFan12345
Senior
And1: 529

Post#12 » by MagicFan12345 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Weltham already said they are not trading the pick in his press conference last night
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,304

Post#13 » by Knightro » Wed May 18, 2022 1:42 pm

Not only are they not trading the pick, but if I had to bet money on it, I would imagine Weltman and Hammond already know who they're going to select at No. 1 as well.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#14 » by Xatticus » Wed May 18, 2022 1:50 pm

We're the bell of the ball for the next month. I'd take advantage of that. I'd give the indication that Holmgren is our guy and I would put the onus on other franchises to change our minds. I would absolutely be open to offers, but I would also be very reluctant to move back. I would need concrete value.

OKC has the assets to make something happen, but how interested would they be in moving up one spot? I'm really not enthused by what Houston, Detroit, or Sacramento have to offer.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
drsd
RealGM

Post#15 » by drsd » Wed May 18, 2022 2:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think OKC will be happy with whoever falls to them at 2.

Sure. But if their management could pick the PF most complimentary to Green at only a cost of future mod-range 1sts, that trade happens.

This only makes sense for Orlando if WeHamm doesn't mind which PF is available.

BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#16 » by BCS » Wed May 18, 2022 3:20 pm

drsd wrote:

Sure. But if their management could pick the PF most complimentary to Green at only a cost of future mod-range 1sts, that trade happens.

I really think OKC would prefer Chet over Jabari, Chet fits really well with them. We just have to do our part and "leak" that we are leaning towards Chet...great workouts, chemistry, already a connection with Suggs, blah blah.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed May 18, 2022 3:41 pm

BCS wrote:
drsd wrote:

I really think OKC would prefer Chet over Jabari, Chet fits really well with them. We just have to do our part and "leak" that we are leaning towards Chet...great workouts, chemistry, already a connection with Suggs, blah blah.

And-1

And I would add, having Mr. PBO state i) we are not trading the pick and then say ii) we are fielding offers for the pick.

If OKC thinks that Houston wants to trade up, the Thunder package only gets better!

So: it is Mr. Welman's job to spread confusion wildly.

Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#18 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm

Fleece them for everything you can and still get Jabari. That's the dream.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#19 » by LDNMagic90 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm

It's pretty standard to get a feeler out for your draft pick and weigh up if its worth trading down in this case. I agree with others that we should do a smokescreen and get a team to bite.

Over to you Weltman
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#20 » by Def Swami » Wed May 18, 2022 5:04 pm

I could see a trade down with OKC and getting an asset if if leads to both teams getting their guy.

Return to Orlando Magic