ImageImageImageImage

Trading the pick

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Re: Trading the pick 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Wed May 18, 2022 5:40 pm

The only thing that makes sense from a trade back perspective is if the Magic have Smith and Holmgren ranked very close/even and OKC has one of the two much higher than the other.

Otherwise you just stay at 1 and make the pick.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#22 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:00 pm

Knightro wrote:The only thing that makes sense from a trade back perspective is if the Magic have Smith and Holmgren ranked very close/even and OKC has one of the two much higher than the other.

As a outsider i would think both, Jabari & Chet, fit them like a glove. In their place i would happily draft the left over of the 2. But maybe Presti is in love with one of them.

I think Houston would be more tempted. I'm not sure Banchero fits the rest of there young players. Too many ball dominant players and just one ball. In case they see a big drop after the top 3, maybe they are gonna call. But personally i would have a hard time trading out of the top 2 without big compensation. 2 future picks with light protection maybe or Sengun + a pick in case we go for a guard/wing with that pick. Not interested in KPJ.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#23 » by I Rasharted » Wed May 18, 2022 6:01 pm

Happy to trade down if we get value out of it. Moar'n happy. Magic are trading from a position of strength for once.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#24 » by cedric76 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 pm

if we fall in love with Sharpe, I would draft Jabari and then listen to the offers from teams below

Houston s 3rd + 17th +assets for Jabari

Then Draft Sharpe

Then use 17th+Ross+32+35 to trade up
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#25 » by drsd » Wed May 18, 2022 7:54 pm

cedric76 wrote:Then use 17th+Ross+32+35 to trade up

With what team? Charlotte, Atlanta, and Cleveland might make sense. But this package makes no sense to those teams.

Perhaps Ross+32+35 gets Milwaukee's 24. Something more like that.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#26 » by Howard Mass » Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Knightro wrote:The only thing that makes sense from a trade back perspective is if the Magic have Smith and Holmgren ranked very close/even and OKC has one of the two much higher than the other.

This.

I like Jabari Smith.

For me, it's about what The Magic do at #32 and #35.

I think The Magic should explore dealing both to maybe get into the late first round if they like someone.

Regardless, I feel they should either use them to trade up and if they cannot do that, trade one for future 2nds and then use the other on someone to bring to camp for a spot as the 15th man or on a Two-Way Deal.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#27 » by Ducklett » Wed May 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Howard Mass wrote:

This.

I like Jabari Smith.

I think The Magic should explore dealing both to maybe get into the late first round if they like someone.

Regardless, I feel they should either use them to trade up and if they cannot do that, trade one for future 2nds and then use the other on someone to bring to camp for a spot as the 15th man or on a Two-Way Deal.

There are tons of really good players in the 24-36 range. I have seen a lot of conversation about it. I wouldn't be shocked if a team in the late 20s would rather have two shots and non-guaranteed money to move down a few spots.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#28 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm

Ducklett wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:

This.

I like Jabari Smith.

There are tons of really good players in the 24-36 range. I have seen a lot of conversation about it. I wouldn't be shocked if a team in the late 20s would rather have two shots and non-guaranteed money to move down a few spots.

There's always that one player that was a lotto pick... that turns into a late rounder... falling out of control. Jaden Hardy would be a great option.

If we did do a #1 for #2 and 12... I would take a swing on him at 12 too.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#29 » by MoMM » Wed May 18, 2022 11:27 pm

I don't see we drafting two rookies at #32 and #35, we are too young and we need some veterans. Probably we will trade it for future picks or trade up.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#30 » by cedric76 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 am

I think a guy like jaden Hardy will fall and the team drafting him will be happy to get a bucket getter
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Thu May 19, 2022 10:44 am

MoMM wrote:I don't see we drafting two rookies at #32 and #35, we are too young and we need some veterans. Probably we will trade it for future picks or trade up.

Miami #27, SnT Oladipo at 15M per year for Orlando #32, #35, and Ross.

This sort of trade is what helps a contender and helps a emerging team. BUT: why would Orlando and Miami ever agree to help each other???

drsd
RealGM

Post#32 » by drsd » Thu May 19, 2022 10:45 am

Ducklett wrote:There are tons of really good players in the 24-36 range. I have seen a lot of conversation about it. I wouldn't be shocked if a team in the late 20s would rather have two shots and non-guaranteed money to move down a few spots.

One late FRP will cost more than two high SRPs. A contender looking for depth will be counting cap-pennies, and this trade makes sense.

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#33 » by PrimeThyme » Thu May 19, 2022 4:16 pm

If I have to listen to one more person parrot around the narrative that this is a weak draft not worth having the number one pick in I think I might lose my mind.

The vast majority of NBA draft people that I actually respect and listen to have come around on this draft in a major way. Most consider both Chet/Bari to be potential All-NBA type talents. People act as if every number one pick has to be Lebron or Hakeem. The reality is they aren’t, but you can still get absolute franchise changing type players despite that.

I mean for how much **** Chet gets, I would just direct people to go and listen to Mike Schmitz talk about him on the most recent Woj pod where he states that he’s a franchise changing player and someone who is ahead of where Mobley (arguably the 1st overall pick in a historic draft) was at this time last year.

Who the **** wouldn’t be falling over themselves to get the chance to draft a player like that? I can guarantee you that actual NBA executives are.

This weak draft narrative stemmed from the pre-college season when people just didn’t have the chance to scout these players due to the pandemic. Chet/Bari proved themselves to be legitimate tier 1 prospects as the season played out.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#34 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm

But this isn't strong draft lol

You can go back in 2013 and find experts, scouts & writers trying to hype s*** out of Nerlens Noel and Alex Len. Because that's their job.

Expert has year to fill talking about rookies since nba is all about selling illusion to disgruntled franchises about " bright future".
Scout has boss where he needs to report his job. He can't go to him and say " my bro you f***ed it, this class is wack"
Writers have articles to click, clickbait titles to post. They will hype everybody for few clicks.

I'm old enough to remember 2000 class very well and how Kenyon Martin was described as best thing since sliced bread. And Martin was...fine. But definition of rim runner...before rim runners were thing.

But back to 2013, Ben McLemore was sold as elite , two way prospect, who has athletic ability out of this world and shooting touch of Ray Allen.
Oladipo was Wade... but better and with 3 point shot.

2014 was selling Willy Conley Steing as "100% DPOY candidate in near future".

Lonzo was Steph Curry with 40 inch vertical ....

NBA lives off hype. It doesn't take much to figure this draft falls into "weak" side. It will still producte solid players, and allstars. But that doesn't change fact that you probably won't draft superstar with top 3 pick.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#35 » by Xatticus » Thu May 19, 2022 5:04 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:If I have to listen to one more person parrot around the narrative that this is a weak draft not worth having the number one pick in I think I might lose my mind.

The vast majority of NBA draft people that I actually respect and listen to have come around on this draft in a major way. Most consider both Chet/Bari to be potential All-NBA type talents. People act as if every number one pick has to be Lebron or Hakeem. The reality is they aren’t, but you can still get absolute franchise changing type players despite that.

I mean for how much **** Chet gets, I would just direct people to go and listen to Mike Schmitz talk about him on the most recent Woj pod where he states that he’s a franchise changing player and someone who is ahead of where Mobley (arguably the 1st overall pick in a historic draft) was at this time last year.

Who the **** wouldn’t be falling over themselves to get the chance to draft a player like that? I can guarantee you that actual NBA executives are.

This weak draft narrative stemmed from the pre-college season when people just didn’t have the chance to scout these players due to the pandemic. Chet/Bari proved themselves to be legitimate tier 1 prospects as the season played out.

I think part of it is also that some of the lauded prospects before the season have fallen flat and they've been replaced by sophomores that weren't really highly regarded a year ago. You just have to take players for what they are though.

Keegan Murray was basically a nobody before the year. Some might've had them on a watchlist, but anyone claiming anything more is lying. He's a terrific player though and one I'd really hoped we might find our way into picking before we ended up winning the lottery.

This isn't a time for pessimism. I'm over the moon that we won the lottery and I'm going to enjoy the next month before the dead period takes hold.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#36 » by thelead » Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:If I have to listen to one more person parrot around the narrative that this is a weak draft not worth having the number one pick in I think I might lose my mind.

I don’t know about parroting it because I’ve been saying for months and been told that I was crazy. It’s a weak draft. There is no clear cut number 1 when we have the number 1 pick. It is what it is but there are good prospects to choose from.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#37 » by PrimeThyme » Thu May 19, 2022 11:33 pm

thelead wrote:It’s a weak draft There is no clear cut number 1 when we have the number 1 pick. It is what it is but there are good prospects to choose from.

I’m just going to defer to the experts on this one. Schmitz, Givony, Vecenie, Penny, etc. all seem to disagree with that sentiment.

Sure, there seemingly isn’t a generational talent at the top, but most years there aren’t. There is still a potential franchise changer there with Bari/Chet.

People said this same exact thing about the 2020 draft. “No true 1” “Minny should trade the pick” “What a bad year to be number one” “Weak draft”, and that same draft produced Edwards/Ball in the top 3. 2 players who are franchise changers in my eyes. Both Chet/Bari are at least in that tier of prospect. I’d agree Chet is is even higher, though there is the obvious risk.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#38 » by thelead » Thu May 19, 2022 11:51 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
thelead wrote:It’s a weak draft There is no clear cut number 1 when we have the number 1 pick. It is what it is but there are good prospects to choose from.

I’m just going to defer to the experts on this one. Schmitz, Givony, Vecenie, Penny, etc. all seem to disagree with that sentiment.

Sure, there seemingly isn’t a generational talent at the top, but most years there aren’t. There is still a potential franchise changer there with Bari/Chet.

People said this same exact thing about the 2020 draft. “No true 1” “Minny should trade the pick” “What a bad year to be number one” “Weak draft”, and that same draft produced Edwards/Ball in the top 3. 2 players who are franchise changers in my eyes. Both Chet/Bari are at least in that tier of prospect. I’d agree Chet is is even higher, though there is the obvious risk.

Semantics I guess. To me, weak=No clear #1 option on a contender.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#39 » by jonbob17 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 am

I'd be happy if the FO show zero interest in trading, meaning they are 100% who they want at 1. That's the best situation in my eyes. Get your guy.

Me, I'd be ok with any of the top 3 guys. I'd see what OKC would give to move up. They've got enough picks. 12 is plenty. Don't know what to make of their others, but they got to trade them at some point

Houston - i am not sure they have any picks i'd want. Now #3 and an unprotected pick swap, for next year...absolutely
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Post#40 » by Knightro » Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 am

Let's just say hypothetically the Magic did trade 1 for 2 and 12.

Would who would you guys be hoping to draft at 12?

Return to Orlando Magic