ImageImageImageImage

New DeVos generation taking a more active role?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 784

New DeVos generation taking a more active role? 

Post#1 » by YosemiteSam » Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 pm

This was interesting to me coming out of last night's lottery coverage. I have never heard of Cole DeVos being mentioned, and VERY interesting he wants to be involved in personnel. Doesn't sound like an ownership looking to sell....

The late change came without much reservation for Cole DeVos, the son of Magic chairman Dan DeVos.

“I actually said to Jeff, well, you’ve represented us in the past, and more recently you haven’t given us too much luck,” he told The Athletic. “So I’m happy Mose is out there.”

DeVos is part of the younger DeVos generation now getting into the family business. Just 25, with a head of blond hair, DeVos says he and his cousins now are becoming involved in the day-to-the-day of the franchise.

This was the first draft lottery he attended in person, but he got to experience what has become almost a generational tradition for the Magic and its fans. They won the lottery in 1992 and 1993, then again in 2004.

He hopes to get involved more with the franchise — he says the personnel side is really interesting and where he hopes to work long term — and the No. 1 pick will afford the Magic numerous ways to go.

“This may be a turning point,” DeVos said. “We’re hoping this is a turning point. Obviously, we have so much young talent on our team already, and adding another good young player who is going to be able to contribute right away is going to be huge for us.”

Inside the NBA Draft Lottery: How the Magic added to Shaq, Penny and Dwight
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Re: New DeVos generation taking a more active role? 

Post#2 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed May 18, 2022 6:57 pm

Just sell the team, we are supposed to wait for 25 year olds to mature into people who are able to run an NBA franchise someday?
aka: prorl
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#3 » by jezzerinho » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:This was interesting to me coming out of last night's lottery coverage. I have never heard of Cole DeVos being mentioned, and VERY interesting he wants to be involved in personnel. Doesn't sound like an ownership looking to sell....

The late change came without much reservation for Cole DeVos, the son of Magic chairman Dan DeVos.

“I actually said to Jeff, well, you’ve represented us in the past, and more recently you haven’t given us too much luck,” he told The Athletic. “So I’m happy Mose is out there.”

DeVos is part of the younger DeVos generation now getting into the family business. Just 25, with a head of blond hair, DeVos says he and his cousins now are becoming involved in the day-to-the-day of the franchise.

This was the first draft lottery he attended in person, but he got to experience what has become almost a generational tradition for the Magic and its fans. They won the lottery in 1992 and 1993, then again in 2004.

He hopes to get involved more with the franchise — he says the personnel side is really interesting and where he hopes to work long term — and the No. 1 pick will afford the Magic numerous ways to go.

“This may be a turning point,” DeVos said. “We’re hoping this is a turning point. Obviously, we have so much young talent on our team already, and adding another good young player who is going to be able to contribute right away is going to be huge for us.”

Inside the NBA Draft Lottery: How the Magic added to Shaq, Penny and Dwight

Sounds like he's been watching too much "Winning Time". Be afraid.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#4 » by thelead » Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Just sell the team, we are supposed to wait for 25 year olds to mature into people who are able to run an NBA franchise someday?

I'm not a fan of the old guard but I'm more than willing to let the younger generation take a shot. I absolutely hate the idea of not letting someone take the helm just because they're young. I'm so sick and tired of watching old people hold onto everything until the day they die. It's everywhere, from politics to entertainment. Move on old people.

Now, that's not to say they'll do a good job just because they're young but if the 25 year old loves the team and wants to change the culture, I'm more than open to the idea as long as he has a good head on his shoulders. We shall see.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#5 » by KillMonger » Wed May 18, 2022 8:27 pm

thelead wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Just sell the team, we are supposed to wait for 25 year olds to mature into people who are able to run an NBA franchise someday?

I'm not a fan of the old guard but I'm more than willing to let the younger generation take a shot. I absolutely hate the idea of not letting someone take the helm just because they're young. I'm so sick and tired of watching old people hold onto everything until the day they die. It's everywhere, from politics to entertainment. Move on old people.

Now, that's not to say they'll do a good job just because they're young but if the 25 year old loves the team and wants to change the culture, I'm more than open to the idea as long as he has a good head on his shoulders. We shall see.
Amen to this

Sent from my SM-N976U using RealGM mobile app
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#6 » by Ducklett » Wed May 18, 2022 8:33 pm

Look at what Tony Khan has done with AEW. He loves wrestling and sometimes that love of something makes you work harder and go further than you would if it was just another thing.

That said: pulling Jeff for Mose's luck seems to have been the right move.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#7 » by Def Swami » Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 pm

I think the main thing any successful sports ownership has to do is hold their franchise accountable. You want them to empower their front office executives to make the basketball decisions and support them in those endeavors, while also upholding certain standards and ensuring your product lives up to the fans' expectations.

As long as they recognize that there are boundaries between a front office and ownership on basketball decisions, I think some new blood could be a good thing.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#8 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:02 pm

This crap scares the living **** out of me. The owners are there as Def said to hold the front office accountable and to collect their money and stay the f out of basketball operations. Leave the damn basketball choices to the professionals. I don’t know this kid but if this kid thinks he actually did something good by suggesting Mosley over Welt everyone of us should be scared. It’s damn ping pong balls and luck. It wasn’t Mose being up there that made this happen. Weltman probably thought he was throwing this kid a bone because he knows it doesn’t make a damn difference who is the representative and easy way to please ownership. Also it’s great that we got the number 1 pick but that was frankly all luck and now comes the hard part and I don’t want a 25 year old kid having any say on who we draft.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#9 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Ducklett wrote:Look at what Tony Khan has done with AEW. He loves wrestling and sometimes that love of something makes you work harder and go further than you would if it was just another thing.

That said: pulling Jeff for Mose's luck seems to have been the right move.

No it’s a pointless move that didn’t mean anything. The ping pong balls bounced our way and I am sure the result would have been the same if Weltman was up there. Magic fans have this weird thing with the lottery and representatives because of Pat Willams but how many times was he up there after Dwight and the ping pong balls didn’t bounce our way.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#10 » by OrlandoSaban » Wed May 18, 2022 9:39 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:This crap scares the living **** out of me. The owners are there as Def said to hold the front office accountable and to collect their money and stay the f out of basketball operations. Leave the damn basketball choices to the professionals. I don’t know this kid but if this kid thinks he actually did something good by suggesting Mosley over Welt everyone of us should be scared. It’s damn ping pong balls and luck. It wasn’t Mose being up there that made this happen. Weltman probably thought he was throwing this kid a bone because he knows it doesn’t make a damn difference who is the representative and easy way to please ownership. Also it’s great that we got the number 1 pick but that was frankly all luck and now comes the hard part and I don’t want a 25 year old kid having any say on who we draft.

Might want to step back and take a deeeeeeeeeep breath. I think the kid was simply joking around with his comment.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 pm

OrlandoSaban wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:This crap scares the living **** out of me. The owners are there as Def said to hold the front office accountable and to collect their money and stay the f out of basketball operations. Leave the damn basketball choices to the professionals. I don’t know this kid but if this kid thinks he actually did something good by suggesting Mosley over Welt everyone of us should be scared. It’s damn ping pong balls and luck. It wasn’t Mose being up there that made this happen. Weltman probably thought he was throwing this kid a bone because he knows it doesn’t make a damn difference who is the representative and easy way to please ownership. Also it’s great that we got the number 1 pick but that was frankly all luck and now comes the hard part and I don’t want a 25 year old kid having any say on who we draft.

Might want to step back and take a deeeeeeeeeep breath. I think the kid was simply joking around with his comment.

Agree.. it's like s posters saying that " When I watched the game we were blown out by 10 points so I stopped watching. Guess what? We won in the end. You all have to thank me for not watching the game "
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#12 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 am

What does being 25 have to do with his ability to be successful in a FO role? If he’s good at it then who cares how old he is? Good for him.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#13 » by drsd » Thu May 19, 2022 10:40 am

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#14 » by Xatticus » Thu May 19, 2022 11:25 am

I wonder if I changed my surname to DeVos if they would accidentally put me in charge of something?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#15 » by Xatticus » Thu May 19, 2022 11:27 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

What does being 25 have to do with his ability to be successful in a FO role? If he’s good at it then who cares how old he is? Good for him.

Sure. It’s really obvious that they are running a meritocracy, so why ask questions?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic