ImageImageImageImage

The case of Chet Holmgren for the Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,783

Re: The case of Chet Holmgren for the Magic 

Post#141 » by thelead » Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 pm

I'm not sure why people are talking about injuries. I'm more worried about Chet just being pushed out of position when thinking about his frame.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#142 » by OrlandoNed » Sat May 21, 2022 11:43 pm

thelead wrote:I'm not sure why people are talking about injuries. I'm more worried about Chet just being pushed out of position when thinking about his frame.

It’s because he’s likely to get injured when he can get knocked on his ass by nearly every single guy in the league.
thelead
RealGM

Post#143 » by thelead » Sun May 22, 2022 12:03 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
thelead wrote:I'm not sure why people are talking about injuries. I'm more worried about Chet just being pushed out of position when thinking about his frame.

It’s because he’s likely to get injured when he can get knocked on his ass by nearly every single guy in the league.

Anyone can get injured and yeah his frame will make that more likely but I’m focused on what is more likely to happen which is him getting physically moved out of position.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 847

Post#144 » by axl_c_cool » Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 am

If we take Chet it'll be 3-4 years before he can play 32 minutes in the NBA on a good team, if we take Jabari it's probably year 1. It's all down to how much do we want to risk

Sent from my SM-G996B using RealGM mobile app
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,665

Post#145 » by SOUL » Sun May 22, 2022 12:09 am

I wish people would be specific in what injuries will occur. Bruising? Wear and tear? There is no optimal body type when it comes to injury prevention in the NBA. You can have the most fit guy ever that will can get hurt from anything.

Worrying about Chet banging around with big centers is a legit concern - but saying he will get hurt over anybody else is a strange stance to take.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#146 » by RookieStar » Sun May 22, 2022 12:19 am

Shame Chet didnt get measured. Lol wanted to sre what he his weight now is and body fat%. The months since his last ncaa game up to now should have shown what his trainers were able to.improve on him.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#147 » by tiderulz » Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 am

SOUL wrote:

I wish people would be specific in what injuries will occur. Bruising? Wear and tear? There is no optimal body type when it comes to injury prevention in the NBA. You can have the most fit guy ever that will can get hurt from anything.

Worrying about Chet banging around with big centers is a legit concern - but saying he will get hurt over anybody else is a strange stance to take.

its not really, and think about it. every one of our recent draft picks have gotten injured their rookie year. Chet may take longer to recover
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,032

Post#148 » by KillMonger » Sun May 22, 2022 2:18 am

axl_c_cool wrote:If we take Chet it'll be 3-4 years before he can play 32 minutes in the NBA on a good team, if we take Jabari it's probably year 1. It's all down to how much do we want to risk

Sent from my SM-G996B using RealGM mobile app
The hyperbole is starting to become a bit much...the draft can't get here fast enough

Sent from my SM-N976U using RealGM mobile app
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 802

Post#149 » by CZ Eddie » Sun May 22, 2022 2:21 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
CZ Eddie wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski hasn't been discussed in awhile.

Power Forward who is 7-0, 190lb

He played 45 games in 2020-21 as a rookie.
He played 61 games in 2021-22, averaging 20 minutes per game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksej_Poku%C5%A1evski

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pokusal01.html

Games played for any player on OKC have no weight, good or bad. They tanked hard and sat anyone that helped them win. I believe Poku had a triple-double(or big production output) late this season, in a win, and they sat him for the rest of the year.

BadMofoPimp wrote:Shot 34.1% FG rookie year and 40.8% 2nd season. Shoots under 30% from 3. He has similar talent to Chet though the way he plays.

I didn't post that because he does or doesn't play as good as Chet.
I posted it as an example of how Chet's body style might hold up against true NBA players.
Keep your politics out of my sports
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#150 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun May 22, 2022 2:29 am

OrlandoNed wrote:

You don’t know the likelihood of him getting injured. He didn’t get injured playing against guys 20-40 lbs heavier than him, and he fell on the floor in college didn’t get injured so what is it about the composition of an NBA floor that makes people believe he’ll instantaneously get injured?

Chris Boucher, Brandon Ingram, Poku, those guys face the same physicality and have likely fallen and haven’t broken anything. What bone disorder does he have that’ll lend to his body seemingly exploding upon contact?

I understand concerns about his build but there’s no need to invent scenarios that likely won’t happen as often as your trying to push.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,665

Post#151 » by SOUL » Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 am

tiderulz wrote:its not really, and think about it. every one of our recent draft picks have gotten injured their rookie year. Chet may take longer to recover

Yeah but "It's not really a strange stance to take" isn't an answer to why he is susceptible to get injured though - compared to Paolo or Jabari at least. Citing previous Magic injuries would apply to Jabari and Paolo too if we drafted them #1 - and I'm not sure being skinnier means a longer healing process. Everybody's body is different depending on the severity of the injury.

Suggs got injured a lot due to his playstyle. Fultz and Isaac both got injured on eurostep moves. Around the league, you have guys like Kawhi who has the perfect basketball body tearing his ACL, Embiid sat out two years before even playing, Simmons has back issues.. those guys are as fit as they come. Beal went from a pretty lengthy injury history and in 2015 said he'd have to be on a minutes restriction the rest of his career.. and then averages like 35 mpg since then lol. Klay went from being an ironman to tearing an achilles and an ACL.

I do think big men that are super mobile and athletic and jump all over the place put themselves in situations where it's easier to get injured. Bodies simply aren't really supposed to be that quick and twitchy being that big.

Simply being skinny is a "Will he get pushed around easily?" in the NBA question, not a "Will he get injured?" question, because the latter is a question for any player.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#152 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun May 22, 2022 2:33 am

thelead wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:

Anyone can get injured and yeah his frame will make that more likely but I’m focused on what is more likely to happen which is him getting physically moved out of position.
and even then so what? He’s not a finished product. He probably won’t be 195 forever. I can’t over look his elite ability because of how much he weighs right now. Jabari is the quiet safe pick, Chet has the potential to be generational. You don’t get the #1 pick often. Swing for the fences.
#2A
#Adopt
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#153 » by tiderulz » Sun May 22, 2022 2:34 am

SOUL wrote:
tiderulz wrote:its not really, and think about it. every one of our recent draft picks have gotten injured their rookie year. Chet may take longer to recover

Yeah but "It's not really a strange stance to take" isn't an answer to why he is susceptible to get injured though - compared to Paolo or Jabari at least. Citing previous Magic injuries would apply to Jabari and Paolo too if we drafted them #1 - and I'm not sure being skinnier means a longer healing process. Everybody's body is different depending on the severity of the injury.

Suggs got injured a lot due to his playstyle. Fultz and Isaac both got injured on eurostep moves. Around the league, you have guys like Kawhi who has the perfect basketball body tearing his ACL, Embiid sat out two years before even playing, Simmons has back issues.. those guys are as fit as they come. Beal went from a pretty lengthy injury history and in 2015 said he'd have to be on a minutes restriction the rest of his career.. and then averages like 35 mpg since then lol. Klay went from being an ironman to tearing an achilles and an ACL.

I do think big men that are super mobile and athletic and jump all over the place put themselves in situations where it's easier to get injured. Bodies simply aren't really supposed to be that quick and twitchy being that big.

Simply being skinny is a "Will he get pushed around easily?" in the NBA question, not a "Will he get injured?" question, because the latter is a question for any player.

i agree it would apply to Jabari and Paolo, but they have bodies that can more easily absorb contact vs other players or the floor. Chet's production vs the smaller players in the WCC vs ranked opponents was very different. i just personally believe he will always be an injury risk. and i dont see him as either a Jokic or Embiid, some exceptional center that completely changes a team.
thelead
RealGM

Post#154 » by thelead » Sun May 22, 2022 2:36 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:It’s because he’s likely to get injured when he can get knocked on his ass by nearly every single guy in the league.

and even then so what? He’s not a finished product. He probably won’t be 195 forever. I can’t over look his elite ability because of how much he weighs right now. Jabari is the quiet safe pick, Chet has the potential to be generational. You don’t get the #1 pick often. Swing for the fences.

I’m not against drafting Chet. I just prefer Jabari and his shot. You won’t hear me complain if we draft Chet as every prospect has their concerns.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#155 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun May 22, 2022 2:43 am

thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:Anyone can get injured and yeah his frame will make that more likely but I’m focused on what is more likely to happen which is him getting physically moved out of position.

I’m not against drafting Chet. I just prefer Jabari and his shot. You won’t hear me complain if we draft Chet as every prospect has their concerns.
I’d take ANY of the top 3 guys. I’m just getting tired of people acting like his arm will snap off at the slightest bit of contact as their reason. The game isn’t even played like that anymore. I mean, Bamba routinely gets moved out of position by guards….At least Chet plays tougher than Mo
#2A
#Adopt
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#156 » by BlueBlazer » Sun May 22, 2022 2:44 am

The “me in 2 months” thing kinda rubbed me the wrong way. The kid undoubtedly has talent but that statement is very Josh Rosen-esque to me
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#157 » by zaymon » Sun May 22, 2022 3:57 am

BlueBlazer wrote:The “me in 2 months” thing kinda rubbed me the wrong way. The kid undoubtedly has talent but that statement is very Josh Rosen-esque to me

It looks fake confident just like Jalen "i have no weakness" Suggs and Hezonja. I prefer Wagners aproach or Doncic who is confident enough to praise other stars .
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,032

Post#158 » by KillMonger » Sun May 22, 2022 4:22 am

No wrong answer to me....is the 1st pick chet? Yes....is it Jabari? Yes.....banchero? Yes.....you can make a legit case for each one of these bigs....however I'd say chet has the advantage slightly because of oddly enough, Jalen suggs...

logic tells me he's somewhat setting the table for chet...he's probably been in Weltham's ears talking him up, Jalen will be a source for info since they've been friends and playing together since the 3rd grade.....now will Jalen be able to be objective? Remains to be seen but I would be naive to not be able to see that it would look like some Disney Channel movie plot if things play out that way.

Before the lottery results were known I said to myself if Jalen and chet were meant to play together we'd get the 1st pick....sure enough

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#159 » by RookieStar » Sun May 22, 2022 5:11 am

KillMonger wrote:No wrong answer to me....is the 1st pick chet? Yes....is it Jabari? Yes.....banchero? Yes.....you can make a legit case for each one of these bigs....however I'd say chet has the advantage slightly because of oddly enough, Jalen suggs...

logic tells me he's somewhat setting the table for chet...he's probably been in Weltham's ears talking him up, Jalen will be a source for info since they've been friends and playing together since the 3rd grade.....now will Jalen be able to be objective? Remains to be seen but I would be naive to not be able to see that it would look like some Disney Channel movie plot if things play out that way.

Before the lottery results were known I said to myself if Jalen and chet were meant to play together we'd get the 1st pick....sure enough

Somehow, for good or bad that is how it is shaping up for me. As I said, we signed Mo off the streets to probably reinforce our decision to pick Franz high in the draft. With the impending departure of Mo , RoLo and uncertainty of JI.... plus getting Suggs... not to mention Chet checks the boxes of the player they look for... its like.. its all coming together
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#160 » by RookieStar » Sun May 22, 2022 5:14 am

KillMonger wrote:No wrong answer to me....is the 1st pick chet? Yes....is it Jabari? Yes.....banchero? Yes.....you can make a legit case for each one of these bigs....however I'd say chet has the advantage slightly because of oddly enough, Jalen suggs...

Somehow, for good or bad that is how it is shaping up for me. As I said, we signed Mo off the streets to probably reinforce our decision to pick Franz high in the draft. With the impending departure of Mo , RoLo and uncertainty of JI.... plus getting Suggs... not to mention Chet checks the boxes of the player they look for... its like.. its all coming together

Return to Orlando Magic