ImageImageImageImage

Should we sign Zach Lavine?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Airgordon00
Junior
And1: 173

Should we sign Zach Lavine? 

Post#1 » by Airgordon00 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 am

I’m in favor of using our cap space to sign Zach Lavine. For one we finally get a guy who can get a bucket. He is a career 39% 3 point shooter and a 83% free throw shooter. He gets to the line about 5.5 times a game. He is only 27 years old and just entering his prime. We can offer a 4 year 160 million dollar deal in Florida with no state income tax.

I believe we should take advantage of our cap space this year because next year there will be a lot of teams with cap space and I’m not sure we will be able to compete with the big markets just yet. I also believe if we steal Zach from the bulls that will also increase our chances of getting a possible lottery pick next year from them. As far as getting enough cap space I know weltman could use our 2nd round picks and future picks if needed to send some contracts out such as Ross.

We could end up looking at a depth chart of:

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Lavine/Suggs/Cannady
Wagner/Okeke
#1 pick (Chet, Jabari or Paolo)/Isaac
Carter Jr./M. Wagner or Bamba if we are able to resign him

We could add a couple of solid bench vets as well to fill out the roster. I think if Isaac is healthy and back to his old form he could easily be starting but I think they will bring him along slowly.

I think this team could be really fun to watch going forward especially with the #1 pick joining the team. Plus if you start winning your players trade value will go up as well. I think our scrimmages will be very competitive and bring out the best in everyone.

Thoughts?
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Re: Should we sign Zach Lavine? 

Post#2 » by BDill012 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:16 am

Airgordon00 wrote:I’m in favor of using our cap space to sign Zach Lavine. For one we finally get a guy who can get a bucket. He is a career 39% 3 point shooter and a 83% free throw shooter. He gets to the line about 5.5 times a game. He is only 27 years old and just entering his prime. We can offer a 4 year 160 million dollar deal in Florida with no state income tax.

I believe we should take advantage of our cap space this year because next year there will be a lot of teams with cap space and I’m not sure we will be able to compete with the big markets just yet. I also believe if we steal Zach from the bulls that will also increase our chances of getting a possible lottery pick next year from them. As far as getting enough cap space I know weltman could use our 2nd round picks and future picks if needed to send some contracts out such as Ross.

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Lavine/Suggs/Cannady
Wagner/Okeke

We could add a couple of solid bench vets as well to fill out the roster. I think if Isaac is healthy and back to his old form he could easily be starting but I think they will bring him along slowly.

I think this team could be really fun to watch going forward especially with the #1 pick joining the team. Plus if you start winning your players trade value will go up as well. I think our scrimmages will be very competitive and bring out the best in everyone.

Thoughts?

I would do this before something like trading for SGA. Question is always, do the Magic have enough pull to score a "name" free agent.

He would round out the lineup well, and for me, make me want Jabari for his shooting ability. Your depth chart is pretty balanced for me.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#3 » by thelead » Fri May 20, 2022 1:19 am

I've been campaigning for it to happen for years it seems... however... his knee would concern me at this point.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Fri May 20, 2022 1:22 am

Would he even want to be here? I would think he wants the bag and the chabce to win
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#5 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 20, 2022 1:26 am

RookieStar wrote:Would he even want to be here? I would think he wants the bag and the chabce to win

I agree. No way he chooses a franchise that has been this bad for this long. Would be like joining the Kings.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,096

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 am

Airgordon00 wrote:I’m in favor of using our cap space to sign Zach Lavine. For one we finally get a guy who can get a bucket. He is a career 39% 3 point shooter and a 83% free throw shooter. He gets to the line about 5.5 times a game. He is only 27 years old and just entering his prime. We can offer a 4 year 160 million dollar deal in Florida with no state income tax.

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Lavine/Suggs/Cannady
Wagner/Okeke

Thoughts?

if we're spending big money, i want a 2-way player and Lavine seems allergic to defense.
Airgordon00
Junior

Post#7 » by Airgordon00 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 am

RookieStar wrote:Would he even want to be here? I would think he wants the bag and the chabce to win

Yeah obviously if he wants to take the extra year and more money with Chicago I wouldn’t blame him for staying but if he could listen to our pitch I think he could be persuaded to join this team and be our leading scorer. He kinda took a little bit of a backseat to Derozan this past year and maybe he wants to be the # option again.
Airgordon00
Junior

Post#8 » by Airgordon00 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 am

tiderulz wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Lavine/Suggs/Cannady
Wagner/Okeke

Thoughts?

if we're spending big money, i want a 2-way player and Lavine seems allergic to defense.

I understand this sentiment but we have a perfect team to hide some of those warts. I truly believe we could have the best defense in the league next year with our Length and determination. Plus I feel confident he can light up some dudes on the other end to offset for what he lacks on the defensive side.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,096

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 am

Airgordon00 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Fultz/Anthony/Hampton
Lavine/Suggs/Cannady
Wagner/Okeke

Thoughts?

I understand this sentiment but we have a perfect team to hide some of those warts. I truly believe we could have the best defense in the league next year with our Length and determination. Plus I feel confident he can light up some dudes on the other end to offset for what he lacks on the defensive side.

length and determination? cmon. to really compete, your best players either need to be absolutely elite (think Curry, Luka) on offense, or good 2-way players (Butler, Tatum, Giannis, etc). just my opinion and preference
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#10 » by RookieStar » Fri May 20, 2022 1:54 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:

I agree. No way he chooses a franchise that has been this bad for this long. Would be like joining the Kings.

Unless he wants to be the alpha without competition while leading a bunch of up and comera with a bright future. Otherwise... stay with CHI or sign with LA i guess..
Airgordon00
Junior

Post#11 » by Airgordon00 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:56 am

tiderulz wrote:
Airgordon00 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:if we're spending big money, i want a 2-way player and Lavine seems allergic to defense.

length and determination? cmon. to really compete, your best players either need to be absolutely elite (think Curry, Luka) on offense, or good 2-way players (Butler, Tatum, Giannis, etc). just my opinion and preference

I completely agree but unfortunately we don’t really have the ability yet to go sign the MVP type players. If we were to go out and get Lavine I think that could help us get back in the playoffs and we could start to see which young players we have step up and maybe become the next star. If that doesn’t happen then we could package some of our assets and then go after that superstar after we become a more enticing destination.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by Max Power » Fri May 20, 2022 3:36 am

In my opinion if you’re going to sign a huge contract guy, a star level player, they need to have had some playoff success, and Lavine simply isn’t that guy for me personally. Talented and certainly fills a need, but does he know how to win in the big games? I mean he’s a huge upgrade now matter what, but do we become a contender with him? I think that’s a bit iffy.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#13 » by drsd » Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 am

I would rather the Magic take a flier on Oladipo. LaVine is not a DeVos-family type of player.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#14 » by Bensational » Fri May 20, 2022 6:31 am

We should do everything we can to get LaVine to sign with Portland or Dallas or somewhere else. Just get him out of Chicago to help our chances of a better draft pick from them.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#15 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 20, 2022 10:32 am

RookieStar wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Unless he wants to be the alpha without competition while leading a bunch of up and comera with a bright future. Otherwise... stay with CHI or sign with LA i guess..

You mean like he has his whole career up until this point? I am sure he is tired of playing for perrenial losing franchises.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#16 » by Skybox » Fri May 20, 2022 11:35 am

On paper, he's become an awesome offensive weapon but I've repeatedly heard guys on podcasts refer to him as the single worst player in the NBA at making his teammates better. That was prior to last season and there were also others who said his Team USA experience changed him, when he got a taste of playing with winners. I'll also say many called Derozan an empty stat loser until last season where he was suddenly everyone's favorite and a legit MVP candidate...Not sure where he's at, but couldn't hurt to kick the tires. He would likely lead the league in scoring here and take a lot of pressure off of Suggs, Jabari(?) on the offensive end- maybe too much? Another McGrady situation-Great player makes the team look even worse?

I like the Oladipo suggestion....MUCH lesser player, but maybe in the right headspace to play the right way and a TON less money. We could add Vic AND another significant player. But yeah, get Lavine out of CHI this summer and make Weltman the greatest trade of all time with a second lotto pick.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 415

Post#17 » by richi_v25 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:46 am

If he's willing to come along for the ride sure plus we could always trade him away later if it's not working out. Mt dew, mt dew, dew dew dew dew.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#18 » by fendilim » Fri May 20, 2022 1:17 pm

Since we have their pick next yr, we should let them know we are willing to sign zach for the max. This way, they would be forced to match, and would hamper their cap space. Especially for next year’s Bulls team.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#19 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 20, 2022 8:23 pm

People don't get it. There is zero shot of Lavine even blinking at Orlando no matter how much money is offered.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 429

Post#20 » by Magicman125 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:32 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

Didn't he sign an offer sheet with the Kings, but the Bulls matched a few years ago?

EDIT: Yeah, 2018. He signed the offer sheet with the Kings that the Bulls matched.

Return to Orlando Magic