ImageImageImageImage

WT: Magic likely to move on from Bamba

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: WT: Magic likely to move on from Bamba 

Post#21 » by OrlandO » Fri May 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Bamba played himself out of a big contract and Weltman isn't in position to let youth walk. I suspect Bamba will be back.
neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#22 » by neuraldarwinism » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm

correct move
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#23 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Waste of a roster spot.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#24 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Fri May 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Good. He hasn’t panned out but he’s bettet than thr Tacko Falls and Thon Makers. Hope he gets a roster spot in BKN or NY
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#25 » by p0peye » Fri May 20, 2022 7:57 pm

They needed 4 years to evaluate that he is not worthy of resigning instead of trading him after two.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#26 » by zaymon » Fri May 20, 2022 8:08 pm

cedric76 wrote:i dont get this, you draft a guy knowing that he ll take at least 5 years to develop then trade him at the end of his rookie contract?

This doesn't make sense, you match his contract and move him later on

Unless you can do a sign and trade for a good SG

Being a project doesnt make you bustproof. We have enough of data to project his future. There is also inside info stuff.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 232

Post#27 » by anothermagicfan » Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 pm

This story has got to be bogus. We're in an instant gratification world here. I'm not a fan of the he's young be patient rhetoric, but he's still young so be patient. Compare his first 4 years in the league to jj Redicks first 4 years in the league. They had very similar minutes and numbers. Bamba is actually on a better track than Redick. JJ wasn't that good until his 7th season and he turned into a pretty good player that contributed as a starter on contenders. Absolutely no reason to not give bamba his QO. He's not going to forget how to shoot. He's still going to alter shots at the rim and get blocks. Personally I'd lock him up for several years at 10-15 mil. If he blossoms into more then it's a win. If he doesn't hes still on a tradeable contract.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#28 » by basketballRob » Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 pm

They aren't going to pay him more than Wendell if he comes back.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#29 » by Knightro » Fri May 20, 2022 9:16 pm

Xatticus wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:This looks like it's just an opinion/observational piece rather than actual news. Not that I feel like the Magic are chomping (is it "champing"?) at the bit to give him a big contract, but this article doesn't report anything we haven't already known for a while.

Yeah. It sounds like speculation by someone that is trying to get ahead of the story.

I was hoping it was legit, but that's because I want Chet.

I'd have a conversation with Bamba and ask him if he wants to be here and work from there. If he is willing to work out something agreeable, then I'd find a roster spot for him. I do think that working with Mosley is what is best for his career, but I can understand if he wants out or if he wants to chase some money.

If Bamba would accept the $10M qualifying offer, that might be a good fit for both parties.

Bamba gets a pay day that's probably worth more than he deserves, but the Magic get the benefit of it being a one-year commitment which allows them to maintain 2023 cap space.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#30 » by cedric76 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 pm

zaymon wrote:
cedric76 wrote:i dont get this, you draft a guy knowing that he ll take at least 5 years to develop then trade him at the end of his rookie contract?

This doesn't make sense, you match his contract and move him later on

Unless you can do a sign and trade for a good SG

Being a project doesnt make you bustproof. We have enough of data to project his future. There is also inside info stuff.

Not saying he is bustproof, but if we trade him, it shows that Weham were not patient enough

If you decide to go a path and select a player that will take longer to develop than others then you need to wait longer, if you give up before then you made the wrong draft pick

You can dig my post from that draft year, I wanted us to trade down for the 2 LAC pick and draft SGA+Porter Jr
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#31 » by Skin » Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 pm

Detroit fans seem to be salivating over him...

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Why doesn't Orlando want Bamba and never really have been that dedicated to him? Are we sure hes starter type material?
Because Orlando's front office is run by idiots, and has been for a very long time, regardless of who they put in charge.

He needs consistent playtime, and he could absolutely be a rim protecting starting bigman, who last year shot 38% from three on 4 attempts a game last year, as well as 10 points, and 8 rebounds.

Orlando is a farm team for the rest of the NBA, and has been for over a decade now.

Why they never game him consistent minutes, when they are a terrible team, always confused me, but that's what Orlando does.

With Cade running the show, Bamba will look much better here in Detroit, then in Orlando, that much is pretty much guaranteed.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#32 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri May 20, 2022 9:45 pm

I suppose the question has always been.. how long is too long to wait on someone you knew was a long term project the moment you drafted him? I personally don't feel as if I've seen enough but would understand the decision behind moving on. Bamba is another situation where he gave you a taste of what he can do on a more consistent basis but perhaps it was too late and was it enough..
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#33 » by JF5 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:55 pm

Bensational wrote:I’m not going to be surprised if Mo starts to figure his game out with another team. His stats for this season compared to Vuc at 23 are very comparable, and superior in many ways. Vuc continued to grow and add a 3pt shot to his game, but Mo already has that and shot blocking/rim protection. Mo just has to grow into awareness and IQ.

There’s still time and room for him to grow, but I don’t think it’ll be happening here. A team like the Warriors are showing they can develop young guys in a winning context and that would be good for him.

Stats and the eye test are completely different. Bamba does his damage off pick and pops. Vucevic had his own post game and could create his own shot.
MagicFan12345
Senior
And1: 529

Post#34 » by MagicFan12345 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:11 pm

Bensational wrote:Per the wiretap.

Rumours starting that the Magic will move on from Bamba. I wonder where he will end up?

I can see him taking a deal with Brooklyn or NYK to get him back to NYC. I could also see him joining a team like GSW. There’s bound to be a decent team out there who thinks they can extract more value from him.

He could end up on the Lakers, there was an article like a month ago that Lakers are interested in Bamba
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#35 » by Xatticus » Fri May 20, 2022 11:12 pm

JF5 wrote:
Bensational wrote:I’m not going to be surprised if Mo starts to figure his game out with another team. His stats for this season compared to Vuc at 23 are very comparable, and superior in many ways. Vuc continued to grow and add a 3pt shot to his game, but Mo already has that and shot blocking/rim protection. Mo just has to grow into awareness and IQ.

There’s still time and room for him to grow, but I don’t think it’ll be happening here. A team like the Warriors are showing they can develop young guys in a winning context and that would be good for him.

Stats and the eye test are completely different.
Bamba does his damage off pick and pops. Vucevic had his own post game and could create his own shot.

No ****. That's why stats exist. Because the 'eye test' is notoriously inaccurate. If the 'eye test' worked, what would be the point of all those numbers?

"You got a PhD in stats? Waste of money if you ask me. I got the 'eye test', bro."
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicFan12345
Senior
And1: 529

Post#36 » by MagicFan12345 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:12 pm

If Bamba leaves, I hope that means it is not a lock for Magic to draft Chet to replace Bamba
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#37 » by richi_v25 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:02 am

I really dislike Bamba on our squad but we knew we were getting a project when we drafted him so I think they need to resign him and if he shows a little improvement we trade him out but if he shows alot of improvement we keep him and act like that was the plan all along.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,979

Post#38 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 21, 2022 12:24 am

Are we sure Mo Wagner isn’t better than Bamba as a backup?

I wouldn’t care if we retained Bamba if he didn’t fetch us a reasonable asset. Cutting him loose for nothing in return is just a bad business decision.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#39 » by MoMM » Sat May 21, 2022 12:42 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Bensational wrote:Per the wiretap.

Rumours starting that the Magic will move on from Bamba. I wonder where he will end up?

I can see him taking a deal with Brooklyn or NYK to get him back to NYC. I could also see him joining a team like GSW. There’s bound to be a decent team out there who thinks they can extract more value from him.

SnT with NY or Brooklyn. Hopefully they can get SOMETHING for him.

Magic trades Bamba + #35 for #23 (Nets). What about?
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,432

Post#40 » by Black and Blue » Sat May 21, 2022 12:50 am

MagicMatic wrote:Are we sure Mo Wagner isn’t better than Bamba as a backup?

I wouldn’t care if we retained Bamba if he didn’t fetch us a reasonable asset. Cutting him loose for nothing in return is just a bad business decision.

Barring a sign and trade opportunity, I’d offer him a backup-level deal and if someone wants to pay him starter money go right ahead. Agreed at this stage Mo Wagner isn’t all that much of a drop off.

The lottery balls and WCJ helped this decision so much. We can do better.

Return to Orlando Magic