ImageImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: Deandre Ayton? 

Post#61 » by RookieStar » Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 pm

Before WCJ showed us this season what he really is capably of, I was all in for throwing MAX money at Ayton. However, now that we know that WCJ shoots 3s, can defend downlow and ALL at a bargain price..... Im not so sure anymore.

I admit Ayton has that starpower and rim protection that WCJ lacks... but is it worth it at that price?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#62 » by Xatticus » Wed May 25, 2022 8:34 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Ayton was a destroyer of worlds in last year's playoffs and was the biggest reason we got to the finals. That said, I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for him if I was you guys.

I like Orlando for him though. I think Ayton and Cam Payne for WCJ, Cole and your Chicago pick next year is fair.

Fultz/Suggs/Franz/Jabari/Ayton is a pretty good core. Especially if Isaac decides he wants to play basketball again.

For me WCJ on 12M a year is worth more than Ayton on max. You could make a case that even on same salary WCJ is more valueable becouse of his passing, shooting and more switchable defense. Number 1 pick is not even debatable.

Ayton is a better shooter and defender. WCJ has more range though, I'll give him that. The shots Ayton takes he hits at like 80% or something to that nature

Based on what? Ayton doesn't shoot from outside of the paint and the data suggests that WCJ is a much better defender. Orlando isn't going to trade WCJ for Ayton and they sure as hell aren't going to attach value.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#63 » by JF5 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:38 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
JF5 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Wendell is on a great deal. We all agree on that. I feel that he's got a lower ceiling than Ayton. Whatever you think about his numbers you have to remember he gets that mostly in the 1st half as our coach constantly goes away from him in the 2nd half of games-foolishly imo. He is at best the 3rd option on our team. In ORL he'd be getting the most shots or would be a 1b to Jabari.

I think he can go for 25 a game with just getting 5 more shots a game...which he would do on the Magic. His touch around the rim is amazing and he has a very soft touch for such a big guy.

On the Suns forum, I've advocating firing Monty Williams and making Ayton the main guy with Booker as his 1b, but I realize that won't happen.

Ayton does have a higher ceiling. But with how the game is played now Wendell is just a lot more valuable going forward.

The Magic are in such a good position financially/talent wise that it makes little to no sense to give him up unless it's for a Superstar Caliber player.

To me it's similar to trading a Draymond Green, Al Horford, or Mikal Bridges. You don't necessarily build them as the best player on your team. But for what they do they're apart of your core.

I can appreciate that but I think that Ayton-as a true C is a better fit than WCJ is for Jabari, but that's just me. Ayton can do work down low but he does have more range if applied.

Being a back down center doesn't mean much in the NBA today. Unless he was an unstoppable force like Shaq his decent to good post doesn't move the needle.

He's a good player in his current iteration. He lacks a lot to be a go-to Offensive player right now to where I'm comfortable of giving him a max contract. Especially when this Magic team has an already really good young center on a great contract already. On top of that a whole bunch of cap space that should go to an already established star once they start competing.

Ayton would be better served on a team like Detroit, Houston, or OKC (IMO) given their situations with the lack of Bigmen with potential.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#64 » by Slim Charless » Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
zaymon wrote:
For me WCJ on 12M a year is worth more than Ayton on max. You could make a case that even on same salary WCJ is more valueable becouse of his passing, shooting and more switchable defense. Number 1 pick is not even debatable.

Ayton is a better shooter and defender. WCJ has more range though, I'll give him that. The shots Ayton takes he hits at like 80% or something to that nature

Based on what? Ayton doesn't shoot from outside of the paint and the data suggests that WCJ is a much better defender. Orlando isn't going to trade WCJ for Ayton and they sure as hell aren't going to attach value.

We shall see on that last point of yours but I think it's a better possibility then you're giving it credit. Ayton is better within the paint and has 1 of the more effective shots for bigs in his hook. He finishes at a very high rate and is given little lee-way in his ability to get shots. Wendell has much more freedom within the ORL offense to do stuff. Ayton's better FT rate also leads one to think he has a better chance at passing WCJ up as far as 3 pointers as well. Like I said, the Suns won't let him do it too much.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#65 » by basketballRob » Wed May 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

We shall see on that last point of yours but I think it's a better possibility then you're giving it credit. Ayton is better within the paint and has 1 of the more effective shots for bigs in his hook. He finishes at a very high rate and is given little lee-way in his ability to get shots. Wendell has much more freedom within the ORL offense to do stuff. Ayton's better FT rate also leads one to think he has a better chance at passing WCJ up as far as 3 pointers as well. Like I said, the Suns won't let him do it too much.
Wendell has a better FTr because he's a more physical player.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#66 » by Slim Charless » Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I'm sorry, when I said rate I meant he shoots it better. My bad.

Ayton shoots a better percentage than WCJ 68% to 77%
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#67 » by basketballRob » Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I'm sorry, when I said rate I meant he shoots it better. My bad.

Ayton shoots a better percentage than WCJ 68% to 77%
Okay, I see what you mean.

Return to Orlando Magic