ImageImageImageImage

Are we too tough on Cole Anthony?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Are we too tough on Cole Anthony? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 3:19 pm

I'm as guilty as anyone in my criticisms of Cole Anthony last season. Sometimes, it was just painful to watch our offense dissolve into him dribbling the air out and launching an ill-advised shot. He's very young, very explosive, an exceptional rebounder, and just an awesome attitude and character, IMO. He can shoot, he can score at the rim, he has no fear of any player or any situation..aren't these the things we've wanted for years?

He's horribly inefficient, takes bad, selfish shots, and makes bad decisions with the ball in his hands...but he's young and it's been a dysfunctional season. Should we give him a break? Be patient? Will he be able to settle into a 6th man scoring role? Will he be the best Guard on our team in a year?

There were times I'd dump him for a second round pick last season. Other times, I think he could become a star. Primarily, I think he needs the ball in his hands and he's pretty far down the priority list on our roster already. If that's your belief - what could he bring back in a trade?

What do you see in his future?
Skybox
RealGM

Re: Are we too tough on Cole Anthony? 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 3:31 pm

I'd trade him just because Fultz and/or Suggs are our future at PG, IMO. I also have tempered my disgust for his play and tried to see the positive potential...I think if we trade him and he ends up learning for a year or two from, say the Point God...he could really become something special. I also don't think that happens here-he needs a vet to defer to, not just on history or age but because he's just better than Cole. I will not be too butthurt if Cole has a great career elsewhere, if we make a good trade for our team.

Cole to PHO for Cam Johnson. Johnson is a 2,3,4 lights out 3pt shooter and only a couple of years in the league. He's going to get paid in a year and he has shown glimpses of a lot more than just 3's. PHO is notoriously stingy and has already committed big bucks to Booker, CP3, Bridges, and Ayton is on deck. They could save face trading for a guy whose numbers were better than Cam's in scoring, rebounding, assists, blocks, FTA's...I say straight up is fair, considering contract situation, but I would add a 2rp

Cole to WAS for Kispert. Beal needs a young PG and WAS needs to rebuild on the sly in case the inevitable trade demand comes from Beal (10 mins after his ridiculous contract). Kispert has an NBA body and BBIQ and will be a lethal spot-up shooter like Korver for a decade (or more). Gonzaga connection with Suggs doesn't hurt either.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Tue May 24, 2022 3:40 pm

I’ve tried desperately to give him the benefit of doubt.

Even during periods last year when everyone had turned on him I tried to remain positive but his hero ball tendencies, ball stopping, and lack of defense make it impossible to. Especially when we have players like Wagner, Suggs, && Fultz who’s first instinct is to pass first and make others around them better, he comes in and puts a stop to all of it.

I’m ready to see him off this team, && if I had my choice he’d get moved this off-season while he still has some decent value on the open market.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Post#4 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Yes and no, I think some stuff that has been said about him(not just here but socials) in terms of his character/personality is a bit harsh in my opinion. He's a young guy and he's acting the same way majority of 18-25 years old act, hell even 30 year olds act the same way.

Now in terms of what he brings to the court, I do like that he hustles rebounds(maybe calm down a bit with taking some from our bigs) and he can get big buckets. His playmaking needs to improve a lot, he needs to see the court better, but I do have a feeling if we had a seasoned vet that could mentor him he'd be a lot better.

We have a problem in general with our guards (a potential good one I will add) where we don't know who is likely to pan out and be a part of the core. Personally it would make sense that Fultz/Suggs are the guard tandem going forward, but Cole has every chance to improve potentially. At the same time do we want to sit back and wait to see how he pans out with a chance of us losing value for him? Do we let him go and potentially he lands in a spot where he grows more and we look like idiots for letting him go too soon?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#5 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 pm

Id be harder on him if Orlando had the talent on offense.

Right now he's putting up 14fga per game while Franz is putting up a little over 12.

It will be interesting to see how his minutes look when Fultz and Suggs are back and healthy. I definitely don't want him shooting more than Wagner or whoever the #1 pick is going to be if they are on the floor together.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#6 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 4:09 pm

I think it's fair to say he's outplayed his draft spot...could we get a mid frp for him? maybe take back a lesser player to match salary as added sweetener? I'd love a crack at that gaggle of big wings in that range
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:34 pm

If Cole himself buys into being the “Human Torch” off the bench for us in a 6th role … then I’m all for penciling Cole in as a long term Magician.

But if he wants to be a starter then best of luck elsewhere.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#8 » by Knightro » Tue May 24, 2022 4:59 pm

Yes.

He's not very good, but it wasn't like he was drafted No. 1 overall and it's also not his fault that the Magic have enabled him.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#9 » by Xatticus » Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm

I'm sure some are too tough on him. Some people make it personal.

Do I think he sucks at basketball? Absolutely.

He is the antithesis of what I want from someone that has the ball in their hands. He is a selfish basketball player. What does that mean? Some guys chase stats. At the end of the game, they look at the box score. If it reads well, they feel they have done their job. The goal in basketball isn't to accumulate statistics. Statistics just accumulate as you play basketball. The goal is to make your team better than the other team. Contrary to popular belief, this isn't measured by points, assists, and rebounds per game.

This is perfectly exemplified by the Kidd/Marbury trade. The Suns cratered after they acquired Marbury. The Nets went from 26 wins, before they acquired Kidd, to consecutive Finals appearances in the two seasons after acquiring him for Marbury. Marbury, to this day, still doesn't believe that Kidd was a better player. Cole Anthony is a Stephon Marbury.

I think Anthony wants to get better. I believe it is just in his nature to hunt for stats and that will always be his undoing.

He should be gone already. He never should've been drafted. Now that Fultz is back, we should get what we can before he turns into a pumpkin.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#10 » by Ralof » Tue May 24, 2022 5:21 pm

No,he's terrible.

Exactly the type of player you don't want on a rebuilding team.

Should give away him at draft night for whatever compensation we could get,but our FO is too lazy so won't happen,sigh
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#11 » by 89Magicfan » Tue May 24, 2022 5:23 pm

No. Needs to learn that making his team better is equally important if not more.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#12 » by Bensational » Tue May 24, 2022 5:27 pm

I don’t think we’re too tough on him. We react to his performances, and those reactions are also influenced by his own behaviour. If someone wants to step up and take over a team, a business, a country, whatever, then they have to accept the bad with the good, especially with the degree of posturing and peacocking that comes with it. You hit a game winning shot and pound your chest and proclaim you’re the best, cool, but where’s your voice when the shots don’t fall? If Cole was sincere about improving and wanting to help the team then he wasted a season with a complete free pass trying to prove he’s a scorer instead of being a PG, and his scoring sucks the vast majority of the time.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 429

Post#13 » by Magicman125 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:39 pm

I think Cole still has potential when we have a real roster around us to see how he is able to adapt to a role of bench scorer and how he can improve at knowing when he's on and needs to step up and score, and when to help facilitate the offense and get other players to their spots. He showed some improvement at this from rookie to sophomore season, but not as much as others wanted, however we had a pretty dismal and injury-plagued roster both years, so it's hard to say. I'd hold on to him through his rookie deal unless we get an offer we can't refuse as I feel like this year will be an improvement over last and the 23-24 season we should hopefully be shooting to make the playoffs.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#14 » by dsg2021 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Great question, and I think yes a little bit. In the sense that he was a 15th or 16th pick I believe. Once he's a 27 mpg Patty Mills off the bench, he could become a fan fave instead!
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#15 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 24, 2022 5:52 pm

He is exactly the player he showed at UNC, which is an inefficient chucker, dribbles the air out of the ball & is a poor defender.

He has an ego ala Mario Hezonja and honestly isn't that much different as a player. The biggest difference is Cole is given the reign to do what he wants as we're in the rebuilding stage vs the compete stage during the Hezonja years.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#16 » by Skybox » Tue May 24, 2022 6:09 pm

I tend to agree with a lot of the negative but I think if he were next to a REAL star, he would have a much better chance of "getting it"...Not a rookie, not a "good vet" like RoLo or Harris...a guy who can freeze Cole out if he's playing out of order. We're a fine line from revisiting the young Dipo years when a bunch of young lions each believed they were the Alpha of the team -and, as a result, we sucked.

He needs someone who can tell him to pass the F**kin' ball or get the hell off my team...like CP3, Beal, Luka, etc...a guy Cole would have no choice but to fall in line under...no questioning his skills, IMO - just needs a smackdown that, in two years, he will attribute to his becoming a good player (see Oladipo)....He's also currently undermining Franz, Suggs, Jabari's development with his on-court "leadership"...I truly believe Franz would have at least moved up a click or two in ROY voting if Cole didn't hijack the second half of the season.

unless we're bringing in a star, he needs to go, IMO, for our good and his. PHO would be perfect as CP3 would school him in practice and in huddles, but fade away in a couple of years.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#17 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 pm

I think he is a big part of the reason this team did not implode mentally this past season.
Tons of room to improve for a 21 y.o.
A bunch of you are asshats.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#18 » by KillMonger » Tue May 24, 2022 7:03 pm

Yes we are.....however some of it is warranted....self inflicted....the bad shot selection....the lazy passes ....very frustrating at times

Sent from my SM-N976U using RealGM mobile app
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,691

Post#19 » by GameOver25 » Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm

He's a ballhog who steals rebounds from our bigs.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 650

Post#20 » by RichCollab » Tue May 24, 2022 7:14 pm

I’m cool with him if he is making shots but if plays like he did the second half last season. He is terrible. He is instantly a negative player when not scoring.

Return to Orlando Magic