ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread: Growth Of Young Players

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Official Speculation Thread: Growth Of Young Players 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:43 pm

No one set up a thread so here we are. Discuss.
aka: prorl
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,698

Re: Official Speculation Thread: Growth Of Young Players 

Post#2 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Who is the captain of this team?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
NJMagic12
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by NJMagic12 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:21 pm

ive personally been very disappointed in the development in Suggs. when they drafted him, i thought he was a future star.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#4 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:23 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Who is the captain of this team?

Paolo seems like the alpha to me.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,706

Post#5 » by thelead » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:23 pm

Paolo and Franz have clearly gravitated toward that 'give me the ball and let me try to make the right play for us' mentality. It's the reason why I've been so pleased with the way the season has gone. You need your best players to have that attitude. AND they're both unselfish. They make the wrong reads sometimes (Paolo more than Franz) but they're young and figuring it all out on the fly.

As a sidenote, I do like WCJ energy when he's not sulking and I have loved Cole's energy on the bench.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#6 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:44 pm

NJMagic12 wrote:ive personally been very disappointed in the development in Suggs. when they drafted him, i thought he was a future star.

I think a lot of that has to do with being injured so much early on. I’ve seen flashes. He needs to learn how to read angles and such when attacking. Not to mention reading the game as the lead guard. A lot of that stuff takes time so when a player gets injured it hampers that development leading to it taking longer.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#7 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:50 pm

The thing is... Jalen Suggs actually HAS improved. It's just not happening rapidly enough for people's liking.

His FG% is up from 36% to 44%
His 2PT% is up from 44% to 56%
His 3PT% is up from 21% to 28%

None of those numbers (outside of 2PT%) are spectacular, but everything is up across the board. He's getting to the FT line more. He's dishing out more assists. He's getting more steals.

Last year outside of defense, he really didn't belong on the court. This year he's still not where he needs to be to be a starter on a good team, but tangible progress is clearly being made.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#8 » by fendilim » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Suggs’ shooting is still bad, but his finishing around the rim has improved.

He would miss a lot of gimmes last year.

I still believe his best position moving forward is PG. and most of the minutes, if not all, are at the PG.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Knightro wrote:The thing is... Jalen Suggs actually HAS improved. It's just not happening rapidly enough for people's liking.

His FG% is up from 36% to 44%
His 2PT% is up from 44% to 56%
His 3PT% is up from 21% to 28%

None of those numbers (outside of 2PT%) are spectacular, but everything is up across the board. He's getting to the FT line more. He's dishing out more assists. He's getting more steals.

Last year outside of defense, he really didn't belong on the court. This year he's still not where he needs to be to be a starter on a good team, but tangible progress is clearly being made.

Bit pointless talk about serious shooting development while sitting at 7 games sample. Remove his 1st game and his FG is 38% and his 3 ball is 19%.
In same time remove his 3-14 game and he is shooting lights out .
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#10 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:14 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Bit pointless talk about serious shooting development while sitting at 7 games sample. Remove his 1st game and his FG is 38% and his 3 ball is 19%.

Of course. But I think there are some trends to keep an eye on.

Last year Suggs had so much trouble at the rim and so little confidence in his outside shot that he ended up taking a huge percentage of his overall field goals from "floater" range 3-10 feet.

Almost 25% of his total attempts came from that area and he only made a shade over 31%. Not good!

This year, at least so far, he's almost completely eschewed floaters and runners, now down to just 11% of his overall field goal attempts.

He's getting to the rim a little more, and finishing much better, all the way up to 70% at the rim which is fantastic for a guard.

He is taking more threes and only making 28%, but 28% from three is still better than 31% from floater range, so the trade off has been worth it for now.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#11 » by pepe1991 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:09 pm

Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Bit pointless talk about serious shooting development while sitting at 7 games sample. Remove his 1st game and his FG is 38% and his 3 ball is 19%.

Of course. But I think there are some trends to keep an eye on.

Last year Suggs had so much trouble at the rim and so little confidence in his outside shot that he ended up taking a huge percentage of his overall field goals from "floater" range 3-10 feet.

Almost 25% of his total attempts came from that area and he only made a shade over 31%. Not good!

This year, at least so far, he's almost completely eschewed floaters and runners, now down to just 11% of his overall field goal attempts.

He's getting to the rim a little more, and finishing much better, all the way up to 70% at the rim which is fantastic for a guard.

He is taking more threes and only making 28%, but 28% from three is still better than 31% from floater range, so the trade off has been worth it for now.

It's still very silly to make any claims given sample you work with.

He shoots 70% inside 3 feet. Last year 61%.

But he shot 73 shots overall. 27% of all shots from 3 feet means your sample size is 27.
So today he shoots 70% from it =19/27.
Opposite of comparison from last year it would be 17-/27. (actually 16,5 / 27 lol)
So your margins of near 10% are within 2 shots made.

3-10 range is even more ridicilous to analyze. 8 shots. Shoots 25% ( 2-8) . If he made 2 more shots it would skyrocket to 50%, and if he missed one more it would drop to 12,5%. Needless to say he is 2 made shots-missed away from 0% :lol:

And on other side he didn't forgot how to shoot FTs , yet his drop today is from 77% to 60%. But again,working on 25 foul shots sample is irrelevant amount.

Where Suggs passes eye test more than last year is amount of good games he menaged to collect. This year it's 2 out of 7. And last year he just had handful of even okey games whole year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#12 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:54 pm

pepe1991 wrote:It's still very silly to make any claims given sample you work with.

But he shot 73 shots overall. 27% of all shots from 3 feet means your sample size is 27.
Opposite of comparison from last year it would be 17-/27. (actually 16,5 / 27 lol)

3-10 range is even more ridicilous to analyze. 8 shots. Shoots 25% ( 2-8) . If he made 2 more shots it would skyrocket to 50%, and if he missed one more it would drop to 12,5%. Needless to say he is 2 made shots-missed away from 0% :lol:

And on other side he didn't forgot how to shoot FTs , yet his drop today is from 77% to 60%. But again,working on 25 foul shots sample is irrelevant amount.

Where Suggs passes eye test more than last year is amount of good games he menaged to collect. This year it's 2 out of 7. And last year he just had handful of even okey games whole year.

Why talk about anything then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the sample sizes are small, but what else are we supposed to talk about?

With the obvious caveat of "this is subject to change based on a increased sample size", discussing what we've seen so far doesn't seem like an outlandish thing to do.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#13 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:09 pm

IMO, right now, Wendell & Markelle. The guys just respect the hell out of them and fall in line when they speak. You see the command both guys have through interviews of their peers.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#14 » by AaronB » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:It's still very silly to make any claims given sample you work with.

Why talk about anything then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the sample sizes are small, but what else are we supposed to talk about?

With the obvious caveat of "this is subject to change based on a increased sample size", discussing what we've seen so far doesn't seem like an outlandish thing to do.

How about the proposition that he is also passing the eyeball test?

Suggs clearly has brief encounters with dominating on both ends of the court.

He has enough instances of just being a really capable PG to make it possible to imagine a top PG in the league.

Consistency will be the key.

Would I have rather him to have taken the NBA by storm like Paolo? Of course, but that rarely happens.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#15 » by drsd » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:No one set up a thread so here we are. Discuss.

The thing is, Isaac and Fultz are still young. I am very curious to see were a Team comes from all the players that are on the roster.

Stay healthy and play strong our Magicians!

DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#16 » by DSN1423 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:18 am

The only young players so far that have shown worth keeping are;

Paolo
Franz
WC
Bol
Suggs

I think we hope Mo, RJ, Chuma, Fultz, JI all improve or play well enough to trade them for pieces we actually need a Post D and rim protecting C and a bunch of shooters
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:29 am

I figured out who Franz reminds me of: Manu. He plays like a 6'10" Manu.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#18 » by DSN1423 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:37 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:I figured out who Franz reminds me of: Manu. He plays like a 6'10" Manu.

Typical white guy for white guy comparison :D .

Franz reminds me of better Kyle Anderson
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#19 » by richi_v25 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:39 am

DSN1423 wrote:The only young players so far that have shown worth keeping are;

Paolo
Franz
WC
Bol
Suggs

I think we hope Mo, RJ, Chuma, Fultz, JI all improve or play well enough to trade them for pieces we actually need a Post D and rim protecting C and a bunch of shooters

You forgot Mo Wags, he's definitely worth keeping. To bad he's injured or we'd still be undefeated :nod:
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#20 » by richi_v25 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:41 am

DSN1423 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:I figured out who Franz reminds me of: Manu. He plays like a 6'10" Manu.

Typical white guy for white guy comparison :D .

Franz reminds me of better Kyle Anderson

If we're playing that game he reminds me of Pat Garrity... no no no i mean a poor man's Travis Diener.

Return to Orlando Magic