ImageImageImageImage

Is Fred VanFleet still on the agenda?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Do you think Magic should go after FVV in the summer?

Yes, offer him whatever he wants, maybe 30M+
11%
Yes, offer him 20-30M per year even if we have to risk not signing him
28%
No, save the money and go after some other veterans in Free Agency
37%
To fix our Guard rotation, package some of our assets and draft picks to land another Star
24%

Total votes: 90

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Re: Is Fred VanFleet still on the agenda? 

Post#401 » by MasterGMer » Sun May 28, 2023 2:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
zaymon wrote:
I dont think you are wrong. We almost made the playins, while being very injured for over 1/4 of the season. Taking internal development into account we have good chance we will make playoffs even without any major moves. Does picking 12 instead of 17 is really that important to us right now ?
We wont be winning it all next season, but we have very few reasons to force being bad. Signing somebody right now is practically free money. It will be different when Franz extension kicks in, but thats in the future.
We want as much professionalism in our club as possible. Developing fringe NBA players over exposing potential stars to winning is not worth it imo. If we can sign good veterans we should do it. I want to hear one good argument why we shouldnt do it.

Because we have to get ready for an overpay of Paolo and Franz. If we do that now with FVV making 30M or more, what is the cap situation like when Franz and Paolo's Rookie Extensions are due? Do not forget, we still have Cole, Suggs, and Fultz plus even Wendell in 2 or 3 years down the line. We do not have to over spend now.
26-27
Paolo $35m
FVV $26m on a descending deal.
Franz $35m
Suggs $10m-$15m descending
Cole $10m-$15m descending
WCJ $15m
6th pick $7m
11 pick $5m

A low estimate for the cap would be $155m, and the luxury tax $187m. That would give us $34m-$44m to stay under the tax and pay 7 more players. All the second round picks that we've been kicking down the road might come in handy then to fill out the roster.

The Magic could be looking to add FVV to a 3-yr deal to avoid coming close to the luxury tax in 26-27.

If FVV wasn't good at that point, you could trade him or amnesty him and pay $6.5m.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

No way Suggs and Cole are only 10-15M, absolutely no way.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#402 » by tiderulz » Sun May 28, 2023 2:19 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Because we have to get ready for an overpay of Paolo and Franz. If we do that now with FVV making 30M or more, what is the cap situation like when Franz and Paolo's Rookie Extensions are due? Do not forget, we still have Cole, Suggs, and Fultz plus even Wendell in 2 or 3 years down the line. We do not have to over spend now.
26-27
Paolo $35m
Franz $35m
WCJ $15m
6th pick $7m
11 pick $5m

A low estimate for the cap would be $155m, and the luxury tax $187m. That would give us $34m-$44m to stay under the tax and pay 7 more players. All the second round picks that we've been kicking down the road might come in handy then to fill out the roster.

The Magic could be looking to add FVV to a 3-yr deal to avoid coming close to the luxury tax in 26-27.

If FVV wasn't good at that point, you could trade him or amnesty him and pay $6.5m.

i wouldnt pay Cole more than $15mil unless he shows a lot more next year. And Suggs hasnt shown to be worth more than $15mil right now.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#403 » by drsd » Mon May 29, 2023 9:45 am

If the Lakers make a run at VanVleet, I see Orlando as completely out of that competition. And then Russell makes more sense in Toronto than Orlando.

Very quickly the "best" UFAs could be Dennis Smith and Dennis Schröder.

In Fultz we trust!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#404 » by basketballRob » Mon May 29, 2023 11:32 am

drsd wrote:If the Lakers make a run at VanVleet, I see Orlando as completely out of that competition. And then Russell makes more sense in Toronto than Orlando.

Very quickly the "best" UFAs could be Dennis Smith and Dennis Schröder.

In Fultz we trust!
I think Reaves would rather make $25m next season. If the Lakers signed and traded him, they could only sign him to $14m next season. I don't see any way they could sign and trade him, and Toronto doesn't have cap space. So he won't be playing in Toronto next season.

My guess is that Reaves will sign with a team that has space, and it might not be a guarantee that the Lakers match.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#405 » by drsd » Mon May 29, 2023 11:44 am

basketballRob wrote:I think Reaves would rather make $25m next season. If the Lakers signed and traded him, they could only sign him to $14m next season. I don't see any way they could sign and trade him, and Toronto doesn't have cap space. So he won't be playing in Toronto next season.

My guess is that Reaves will sign with a team that has space, and it might not be a guarantee that the Lakers match.

This is the contract the Magic can offer Reaves:
Year 1: $11.4 million
Year 2: $11.9 million
Year 3: $36.8 million
Year 4: $38.5 million

I prefer that to offering VanVleet some 120-140M over four years; by a wide, wide margin.

If there was a poll to VanVleet vs. Reaves, I would expect VanVleet to win, but I would 100% be a Reaves vote, in part becasue of how palatable a "max" contract is for him.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,624

Post#406 » by Skybox » Mon May 29, 2023 3:37 pm

drsd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think Reaves would rather make $25m next season. If the Lakers signed and traded him, they could only sign him to $14m next season. I don't see any way they could sign and trade him, and Toronto doesn't have cap space. So he won't be playing in Toronto next season.

I prefer that to offering VanVleet some 120-140M over four years; by a wide, wide margin.

If there was a poll to VanVleet vs. Reaves, I would expect VanVleet to win, but I would 100% be a Reaves vote, in part becasue of how palatable a "max" contract is for him.

THAT, IMO, is much much worse structurally than any kind of front-loaded FVV (or anyone deal)...right when we're throwing possible max extensions at our main guys, Reaves goes from reasonable role-player to untradeable "worst deal in the league" candidate...even if he's playing well. $25/year would be worthy of debate for Reaves, but this structure is a death sentence for ORL, IMO.

We've got money to burn at the moment, while our best guys are still on light rookie deals.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#407 » by basketballRob » Mon May 29, 2023 3:45 pm

drsd wrote:

The Magic can offer him a front-loaded contract, they just can't pay more than $98m for 4 years. The Lakers are the only team limited to what they can pay him the next two seasons.

So he has to choose if he wants $14m next season or possibly $28m in a front-loaded deal. I think it's more beneficial to get your money early so you can invest it.

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#408 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 30, 2023 1:14 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:

The Magic can offer him a front-loaded contract, they just can't pay more than $98m for 4 years. The Lakers are the only team limited to what they can pay him the next two seasons.

So he has to choose if he wants $14m next season or possibly $28m in a front-loaded deal. I think it's more beneficial to get your money early so you can invest it.

I think this would be disastrous.

What if we keep Reaves in his 3rd or 4th year? Along with Franz and Paolo's Rookie Max Extension, what will be the cap situation then?

Luxury tax? Second Apron?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#409 » by basketballRob » Tue May 30, 2023 2:26 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:

What if we keep Reaves in his 3rd or 4th year? Along with Franz and Paolo's Rookie Max Extension, what will be the cap situation then?

Not if the Magic paid Reaves a descending deal with him getting around $23m in his 4th year.

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#410 » by tiderulz » Tue May 30, 2023 3:54 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
basketballRob wrote:The Magic can offer him a front-loaded contract, they just can't pay more than $98m for 4 years. The Lakers are the only team limited to what they can pay him the next two seasons.

Not if the Magic paid Reaves a descending deal with him getting around $23m in his 4th year.

I think Orlando gets to spread the average out over 4 years. its LA that would take the hit in years 3 & 4.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#411 » by orlando_joe » Tue May 30, 2023 5:09 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
basketballRob wrote:26-27
Paolo $35m
Franz $35m
WCJ $15m
6th pick $7m
11 pick $5m

i wouldnt pay Cole more than $15mil unless he shows a lot more next year. And Suggs hasnt shown to be worth more than $15mil right now.

by the time suggs next contract 15 mill will be mle also think last 2 -3 yrs cole will be real close ..cap 10% increase moves mle about 1 mill a yr right?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#412 » by orlando_joe » Tue May 30, 2023 5:48 pm

if my math is right when suggs contract starts at 10% mle increase mle will be 14,15.5,17,almost 19
so anthony starts 1 yr sooner so ends at 17 a yr i see a solid 6th man as a bit higher then mle...some poole and hero getting over 30 a yr now paying 3 mill over mle is not out of question but could be outstanding value by then?
MagicLover
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#413 » by MagicLover » Wed May 31, 2023 3:23 pm

I sure hope not, VanFleet is overrated
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 919

Post#414 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 pm

Rumors about Philly wanting FVV if they lose Harden.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,240

Post#415 » by eyriq » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:58 am

Residual-Heat wrote:Rumors about Philly wanting FVV if they lose Harden.
FVV is the primary alternative to extending Fultz. The other is trading up to draft Scoot. Low key alternatives are drafting Wallace, Black, or Amen.

The world where we extend Fultz does not have us landing FVV in free agency or Scoot in a trade.

MagicMatic fandom watch about to heat up
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#416 » by zaymon » Thu Jun 1, 2023 8:17 am

eyriq wrote:
FVV is the primary alternative to extending Fultz. The other is trading up to draft Scoot. Low key alternatives are drafting Wallace, Black, or Amen.

The world where we extend Fultz does not have us landing FVV in free agency or Scoot in a trade.

Wallace, Bufkin or Podziemski could also help, but i doubt they would start over Suggs.
I dont know why people forget we have Suggs. We also dont need full time point guard becouse we have Franz and Paolo. Shooting, defense, pnr offense is good enough.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,240

Post#417 » by eyriq » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:12 am

zaymon wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Wallace, Bufkin or Podziemski could also help, but i doubt they would start over Suggs.
I dont know why people forget we have Suggs. We also dont need full time point guard becouse we have Franz and Paolo. Shooting, defense, pnr offense is good enough.

Great point. Suggs developing into a lead guard is something I completely overlooked. That is an alternative as well.

Developments that preclude a Fultz extension:

Signing FVV
Trading for Scoot
Suggs developing into a lead guard in year 3

Developments that endanger a Fultz extension:
Drafting Black, Amen, or Wallace + other fringe options
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,624

Post#418 » by Skybox » Thu Jun 1, 2023 10:40 am

eyriq wrote:
zaymon wrote:
eyriq wrote:FVV is the primary alternative to extending Fultz. The other is trading up to draft Scoot. Low key alternatives are drafting Wallace, Black, or Amen.

Great point. Suggs developing into a lead guard is something I completely overlooked. That is an alternative as well.

Developments that preclude a Fultz extension:

Signing FVV
Trading for Scoot
Suggs developing into a lead guard in year 3

Developments that endanger a Fultz extension:
Drafting Black, Amen, or Wallace + other fringe options

I’d add Nick Smith into that mix…i hope they give him a long look. He’s kind of forgotten imo.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#419 » by tiderulz » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:14 pm

zaymon wrote:
eyriq wrote:

we saw Boston fall down without a full time point guard. Smart wasnt able to get them into offense or get them easy baskets.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#420 » by zaymon » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:
eyriq wrote:FVV is the primary alternative to extending Fultz. The other is trading up to draft Scoot. Low key alternatives are drafting Wallace, Black, or Amen.

we saw Boston fall down without a full time point guard. Smart wasnt able to get them into offense or get them easy baskets.

Good point, but they also made conference finals two times in a row, and were close to making finals two years in a row.
Franz is propably better playmaker than Tatum and we still dont know how good of a playmaker Paolo is.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic