ImageImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,245

Re: Markelle Fultz 

Post#741 » by eyriq » Mon May 22, 2023 2:56 am

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Well we did just see the current FO use the “evaluation year(s)” excuse that ended up devaluing Fournier and probably AG more than absolutely necessary of their trade value. For as bad as Fournier is today, they got next to nothing for a starter on a playoff team 1 season prior.

The AG and Fournier trades were swept under the rug due to the Vucevic deal being such a home run. Gary Harris and pick 28-30 next season isn’t a great deal IMO.

What do you predict The Magic front office offers their starting point guard of the 2023-24 season this time next year? It will not be less than his previous contract after Fultz plays his ass off trying to validate himself.

Let’s just say we are going to see very high numbers of mid range jumpers next season. The one thing he does well.

I still don't understand your point about Fultz's trade value and the cost of waiting.

What are factors that drive trade value? Some obvious answer are performance, age, contract status, and team situation. Regarding contract status, you can have a rookie contract, a max contract, an expiring contract, etc.

Expiring contracts in general are usually more valuable because they can provide short-term help to a team looking to make a playoff push or clear cap space for the next season. On the flip side they come with the risk of the player leaving as free agents or demanding more money than expected.

Also, players in their final year can drive up their value due to the added motivation to play well.

I don't really see the downside to our situation with Fultz right now.

You just answered your questions to an extent.

Fultz is now an expiring contract, but he is also the starting point guard for the Orlando Magic, at least that’s what his agent will illustrate. He’s not Duncan Robinson where his monetary expiring value is exceeded to the point that it’s the only thing he provides. He’s also not a guy like Isaac making a contract to sit injured on the bench or a combination of the two like Hayward. You get the point.

You don’t see the downside now. You’ll see it in 2-3 years when money matters and a lot of it is tied to a point guard in the bottom of the league.
Ok, I think I get it. You are saying the odds we re-sign him increase the closer we get to his free agency. That could be true.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#742 » by fendilim » Mon May 22, 2023 3:20 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Audi wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Fultz, like AG, is a case study in Orlando fans getting attached to players, their perceived potential, and how people will justify their stance on them regardless of the evidence presented.

If anything, it’s more a case study in the PTSD Orlando fans have with their FO’s. It’s wholly apparent in the fact that if what the ‘Fultz-be-gone’ (for lack of a better term - don’t like the “hater” or “anti” label) crowd says is correct about him, then he holds very little value league wide. If true, then the lack of demand in FA simply isn’t worth it to test from his perspective. This would surely be something that he and his representation (as well as our FO) would be keenly aware of. BUT - if you have no faith in the FO to use that fact as leverage in any contract negotiations, then it’s easy to see why some fans are working themselves up into a panic.

Well we did just see the current FO use the “evaluation year(s)” excuse that ended up devaluing Fournier and probably AG more than absolutely necessary of their trade value. For as bad as Fournier is today, they got next to nothing for a starter on a playoff team 1 season prior.

The AG and Fournier trades were swept under the rug due to the Vucevic deal being such a home run. Gary Harris and pick 28-30 next season isn’t a great deal IMO.

What do you predict The Magic front office offers their starting point guard of the 2023-24 season this time next year? It will not be less than his previous contract after Fultz plays his ass off trying to validate himself.

Let’s just say we are going to see very high numbers of mid range jumpers next season. The one thing he does well. :lol:

Wouldn’t exactly say Fournier and Gordon were bad deals at that time.

Fournier was already expiring contract and we were in re-build mode by then. So there was no chance for him to re-sign.

With Gordon, we got Hampton and a future first. Hampton at that time was still a rookie. We basically got 2 late 1sts for Gordon, which isn’t exactly bad for a role player.

Now that we’ve waived Hampton, yes, its a bad deal. But at that time it wasn’t as bad.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#743 » by yoyojw17 » Mon May 22, 2023 3:20 am

MagicMatic wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
I didn’t say you haven’t been. You aren’t disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with how the league operates.

So because a guy who you think has no value and is overpaid you are saying we are going to resign him because of value. I just can’t square that.

I didn’t say Fultz has zero value. I said he’s more valuable to Orlando than to the rest of the league. That’s factually true. The Front Office will resign him because he’s on an expiring deal and holds more value to Orlando if he isn’t replaced in the options I’ve already outlined.

Wait... How is that factually true? Lol. I've not heard others talk about him with a negative outlook. But that's just me. If that's the case... He should be had for a decent amount and not have to overpay as much as you are scared about. No?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#744 » by drsd » Mon May 22, 2023 6:24 am

MagicMatic wrote:I didn’t say Fultz has zero value. I said he’s more valuable to Orlando than to the rest of the league. That’s factually true. The Front Office will resign him because he’s on an expiring deal and holds more value to Orlando if he isn’t replaced in the options I’ve already outlined.

Objectively I have to agree.

Some rhetoric questions:
1) How many teams in the league would Fultz start?
2) What is Fultz' trade value?
3) What will Fultz FA market be to other clubs?

Usually to get a starter a team needs to pay $1.20 on the dollar to acquire said player. No team in the league is going to overpay for Fultz.

But he does have value to Orlando and if this summer goes well, I do expect Fultz to have a good year next year.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,445

Post#745 » by Bensational » Mon May 22, 2023 10:07 am

Pick your backcourt. Who do you want alongside Paolo and Franz? I believe this is a list of every relevant backcourt player. Who do you want? How do we get them?

WCJ/Goga/MoW
Paolo/(Isaac)
Franz/Chuma/Houstan
?/?
?/?

Here's a list of guards, both SG and PG. They were in order by PPG, until I adjusted the categories, so don't pay much attention to their positional placements as rankings. I've put an '*' next to names where there has been 'smoke'.

WISHLIST STARS - with most of these names, the incoming player will be the new franchise player, face and leader of the team. Acquiring them may even cost part of our core.

PG
Luka Doncic*
Damian Lillard*
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Stephen Curry
Kyrie Irving*
Trae Young*
Ja Morant*
De'Aaron Fox
Jalen Brunson
LaMelo Ball*
Darius Garland
Tyrese Haliburton
Jamal Murray
Cade Cunningham

SG
Donovan Mitchell
Devin Booker
Jaylen Brown*
Mikal Bridges
Zach LaVine
Anthony Edwards
Bradley Beal*
Tyrese Maxey

AGED STARS - most of these names don't fit our timeline, or are unlikely to leave their situations, but their experience could be a good stabilising presence in the early years of PB and FW.
PG
Jrue Holiday
CJ McCollum
Malcolm Brogdon
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook

SG
James Harden*
Klay Thompson
DeMar DeRozan

YOUNG GUYS - guys who are still young and on the rise.
PG
Dejounte Murray
Josh Giddey

SG
Jalen Green*
Desmond Bane
Anfernee Simons*
Tyler Herro
Devin Vassell
Jaden Ivey
Bennedict Mathurin
Immanuel Quickley
Jalen Suggs
Shaedon Sharpe
Austin Reaves*

STARTERS - current NBA starting PGs who aren't mentioned above.
PG
D'Angelo Russell*
Fred VanVleet*
Spencer Dinwiddie
Marcus Smart
Kyle Lowry
Mike Conley
Derrick White
Markelle Fultz
Kevin Porter Jr.
Terry Rozier

ROTATION GUARDS - 6th men and sub-starters
Jordan Clarkson
Jordan Poole
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Gary Trent Jr.
Norman Powell
Buddy Hield
Skylar Mays
Kevin Huerter
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Dillon Brooks
Collin Sexton
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Luguentz Dort
Malik Monk
Kris Dunn
Cole Anthony
Tre Jones
Alec Burks
Malik Beasley
Dennis Schroder
Mac McClung
Eric Gordon
Caris LeVert
Bones Hyland
Lonnie Walker IV
Bruce Brown
Max Strus
John Wall
Quentin Grimes
Jaylen Nowell
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Talen Horton-Tucker
Victor Oladipo
Jeenathan Williams
Cam Thomas
Grayson Allen
Killian Hayes
Tyus Jones
Cameron Payne
Monte Morris
Reggie Jackson
De'Anthony Melton
Aaron Nesmith
Josh Richardson
Josh Hart
Cam Reddish
Coby White
Isaiah Joe
Andrew Nembhard
Gabe Vincent
Donte DiVincenzo
Kyle Anderson
Hamidou Diallo
Luke Kennard
Seth Curry
Josh Green
Jose Alvarado
Terance Mann
Shaquille Harrison
Dennis Smith Jr.
Jaden Hardy
T.J. McConnell
Landry Shamet
Ayo Dosunmu
Shake Milton
Terrence Ross
Gary Harris
Damion Lee
Jevon Carter
Kenrich Williams
Gabe York
Kemba Walker
Ochai Agbaji
Duane Washington Jr.
Chris Duarte
Tre Mann
Pat Connaughton
Joe Harris
Devonte' Graham
Delon Wright
Josh Okogie
Reggie Bullock
Lindell Wigginton
Edmond Sumner
Troy Brown Jr.
Kendrick Nunn
Joshua Primo
Svi Mykhailiuk
Ben Simmons
Romeo Langford
Joe Ingles
Cory Joseph
Ty Jerome
Aaron Wiggins
Will Barton
Justise Winslow
Terence Davis
Theo Maledon
Nassir Little
Jordan Goodwin
Brandon Boston Jr.
Jay Scrubb
Isaac Okoro
R.J. Hampton
Goran Dragic
Quenton Jackson
Patrick Beverley
Jared Butler
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Patty Mills
Nicolas Batum
Oshae Brissett
Evan Fournier
Saben Lee
Johnny Davis
Josh Christopher
Stanley Johnson
Rodney McGruder
Derrick Rose
Davion Mitchell
Payton Pritchard
James Bouknight
Alex Caruso
Yuta Watanabe
Danny Green
Bryce McGowens
Rudy Gay
Ricky Rubio
Javonte Green
John Konchar
George Hill
Sam Merrill
Blake Wesley
Austin Rivers
Johnny Juzang
Moses Moody
Danuel House Jr.
Garrison Mathews
Christian Braun
Keon Johnson
TyTy Washington Jr.
Malachi Flynn
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#746 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 22, 2023 11:00 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:So because a guy who you think has no value and is overpaid you are saying we are going to resign him because of value. I just can’t square that.

I didn’t say Fultz has zero value. I said he’s more valuable to Orlando than to the rest of the league. That’s factually true. The Front Office will resign him because he’s on an expiring deal and holds more value to Orlando if he isn’t replaced in the options I’ve already outlined.

Wait... How is that factually true? Lol. I've not heard others talk about him with a negative outlook. But that's just me. If that's the case... He should be had for a decent amount and not have to overpay as much as you are scared about. No?

Serious question.

Does Orlando offer Fultz more or less than his current deal? If more, how much more?

He’s currently Orlando’s second highest paid player at $16.5m/2.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#747 » by basketballRob » Mon May 22, 2023 11:07 am

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I didn’t say Fultz has zero value. I said he’s more valuable to Orlando than to the rest of the league. That’s factually true. The Front Office will resign him because he’s on an expiring deal and holds more value to Orlando if he isn’t replaced in the options I’ve already outlined.

Some rhetoric questions:
2) What if Fultz' trade value?

Usually to get a starter a tea needs to pay $1.20 on the dollar to acquire said player. No team in the league is going to overpay for Fultz.

But he does have value to Orlando and if this summer goes well, I do expect Fultz to have a good year next year.
I think he'd start for the Clippers. That's the reason I suggested Eric Gordon for Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#748 » by Skybox » Mon May 22, 2023 11:35 am

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:

Some rhetoric questions:
2) What if Fultz' trade value?

Usually to get a starter a tea needs to pay $1.20 on the dollar to acquire said player. No team in the league is going to overpay for Fultz.

I think he'd start for the Clippers. That's the reason I suggested Eric Gordon for Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

I don’t see LAC dumping Westbrook for Fultz, unless either expected to make significant money (like Fultz does now)…like MagicMatic is saying, it’s dicey to trade for a $17m expiring if you don’t plan to extend him at $17+. Hard to predict a landing situation for Fultz…likeliest choice is cowardly ORL status quo…if ORL signs FVV, for example, Fultz becomes a wandering Ronin when his deal expires- perhaps taking an MLE somewhere
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#749 » by drsd » Mon May 22, 2023 1:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:1) How many teams in the league would Fultz start?.

So, One team.

And this is from someone who likes Fultz starting for Orlando.

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#750 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 22, 2023 2:24 pm

It really has nothing to do with how RealGM Members think here. It is the coaches and Front Office. To me, they like Markelle a lot. There is a reason why they do. They see the game different than what we do.

I think we need to give a little faith in those experts on evaluating Markelle Fultz. Is it an issue? Of Course, common sense always works and there does exist a debate on Markelle Fultz.

But I trust my judgement also. Markelle has too much value to let him walk or be waived for nothing. Plus this is his literally second full season with 60+ games played. We do need context!

The effect of his contribution to winning is enough said. Plus this is the only offseason so far that he can work on his improvements.

Let's be very clear: Markelle Fultz is our starting PG when next season kicks in. 99.9%. Why? Because if we want to make the playoff, Markelle is here to stay!
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#751 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 22, 2023 2:48 pm

MasterGMer wrote:It really has nothing to do with how RealGM Members think here. It is the coaches and Front Office. To me, they like Markelle a lot. There is a reason why they do. They see the game different than what we do.

I think we need to give a little faith in those experts on evaluating Markelle Fultz. Is it an issue? Of Course, common sense always works and there does exist a debate on Markelle Fultz.

But I trust my judgement also. Markelle has too much value to let him walk or be waived for nothing. Plus this is his literally second full season with 60+ games played. We do need context!

The effect of his contribution to winning is enough said. Plus this is the only offseason so far that he can work on his improvements.

Let's be very clear: Markelle Fultz is our starting PG when next season kicks in. 99.9%. Why? Because if we want to make the playoff, Markelle is here to stay!

You could replace the name Markelle Fultz with Aaron Gordon in this post and it would be the same mentality people had for 6 years running.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#752 » by Audi » Mon May 22, 2023 3:02 pm

Skybox wrote:Hard to predict a landing situation for Fultz…likeliest choice is cowardly ORL status quo…if ORL signs FVV, for example, Fultz becomes a wandering Ronin when his deal expires- perhaps taking an MLE somewhere

So really all of this just boils down to a lack of trust in the FO. Because if what you are saying is true and we had a competent FO, then it creates a pretty favorable situation for us. It would be in Fultz's best interest to not test FA at all and take whatever he is offered by the FO. Slide Fultz to the bench on a new value contract, which is an upgrade over Cole. Cole should hold significantly more value league-wide because he shoots 3s and will therefore be wanting to get paid soon. Either keep and play him alongside Fultz or use him in a trade package to help upgrade that starting PG spot while avoiding a future 6th man overpay on his approaching second contract.

But if you're convinced that the FO is going to pay Fultz an exorbitant amount of money when he's not really worth much more than the MLE, all of that falls apart. But then, all this focus should then be on axing and replacing the wholly incompetent FO, rather than a focus on axing and replacing a particular player, no?
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,245

Post#753 » by eyriq » Mon May 22, 2023 3:07 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:It really has nothing to do with how RealGM Members think here. It is the coaches and Front Office. To me, they like Markelle a lot. There is a reason why they do. They see the game different than what we do.

You could replace the name Markelle Fultz with Aaron Gordon in this post and it would be the same mentality people had for 6 years running.

The main difference is that Gordon was leading the team in MPG while Fultz is tied for 3rd. Which just means that the cost of sticking with Fultz is lower than sticking with Gordon.

I trust the front office. I think he gets dealt. We have so many resources to throw at the backcourt. Healthy we were a .500 team, I get that, I just don't think there is evidence that Fultz was a critical factor. Does the front office have evidence he was? Player tracking maybe?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#754 » by Skybox » Mon May 22, 2023 3:25 pm

Audi wrote:
Skybox wrote:Hard to predict a landing situation for Fultz…likeliest choice is cowardly ORL status quo…if ORL signs FVV, for example, Fultz becomes a wandering Ronin when his deal expires- perhaps taking an MLE somewhere

So really all of this just boils down to a lack of trust in the FO. Because if what you are saying is true and we had a competent FO, then it creates a pretty favorable situation for us. It would be in Fultz's best interest to not test FA at all and take whatever he is offered by the FO. Slide Fultz to the bench on a new value contract, which is an upgrade over Cole. Cole should hold significantly more value league-wide because he shoots 3s and will therefore be wanting to get paid soon. Either keep and play him alongside Fultz or use him in a trade package to help upgrade that starting PG spot while avoiding a future 6th man overpay on his approaching second contract.

But if you're convinced that the FO is going to pay Fultz an exorbitant amount of money when he's not really worth much more than the MLE, all of that falls apart. But then, all this focus should then be on axing and replacing the wholly incompetent FO, rather than a focus on axing and replacing a particular player, no?

NO...I actually approve of the majority of Weltman's moves so far and understand the basis for all of them so far - even when they don't hit. We also know him to be as tight-lipped about his intentions and vision as any exec in the history of the league...so maybe he's already planning the right moves. I never said it would be easy to find a star PG and I would understand if they kept him here rather than settle for a small step up, based on availability...while they kept looking for the difference maker or let a promising draftee develop internally before handing over the reins.

Also, Fultz might find a better fitting home...I've asked for suggestions multiple times and haven't heard ANY from the supporters/apologists- although I've even suggested SAS, GSW, and WAS as at least temporary possibilities. Also...NO, even on a value contract, he's not an upgrade over Cole as a sixth man type...explosive scoring potential is a prerequisite for that role.

Idk what the future holds for Fultz or ORL's backcourt...I'm concerned that we'll improve quite a bit next year (with him) and then hit a ceiling without a better leader with the ball in his hands. Fultz, without the ball in his hands, IS worthless. With the ball in his hands, he's passably mediocre and will lead us to his ceiling.

Once again...Which NBA team will offer him a contract in excess of $15m/yr to come in and be their PG? (still waiting for the big trade offers too-the ones not based on clearing cap space)
Skybox
RealGM

Post#755 » by Skybox » Mon May 22, 2023 3:36 pm

If there is ONE thing we do know...it's that we don't have any freakin' idea what the FO is planning. They do not share, as a rule!

People here casually say things about how the FO feels about players and it's based on what, comments in a sterile interview? :lol:

You expect any kind of bad reviews from Weltman on his own players, even if they're awful and have no future with the team?

"Thanks for asking Phil. Unfortunately, if Markelle can't spread the floor, he's really compomising the growth potential of Paolo & Franz and, quite frankly, I like them a lot more than I like Kelle. All the guys really like the kid, but they've privately confided that they're a little tired of the triple-teams because defenders don't worry about our guards from beyond 3'.It's also a bummer that we foolishly bet so much money on him and he didn't recapture his long-range shooting. Honestly, Phil, we think it's all in his head - but don't print that. We're probably going to have to use him as salary filler because nobody will pay much for him. By the way, I was talking to VanVleet's agent the other day and I think we have a shot-that's not tampering is it? Wouldn't that be great? I know, I know, the guys have been killing me in the war room with wingspan jokes since the Bamba for Beverly fiasco and now I'm drooling over a fat midget (cracks himself and interviewer up)"
fendilim
RealGM

Post#756 » by fendilim » Mon May 22, 2023 3:51 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Serious question.

Does Orlando offer Fultz more or less than his current deal? If more, how much more?

The argument is quite silly if you ask me.

At the time the contract was given to Fultz, markelle was probably the 4th best player on that team of Vuc Fournier and Gordon.

Its a different timeline and different priority or need now. I’m sure when the time comes when we can offer Paolo and Franz an extension, their salary will be more than Fultz.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#757 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 22, 2023 4:18 pm

fendilim wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Wait... How is that factually true? Lol. I've not heard others talk about him with a negative outlook. But that's just me. If that's the case... He should be had for a decent amount and not have to overpay as much as you are scared about. No?

Serious question.

At the time the contract was given to Fultz, markelle was probably the 4th best player on that team of Vuc Fournier and Gordon.

Its a different timeline and different priority or need now. I’m sure when the time comes when we can offer Paolo and Franz an extension, their salary will be more than Fultz.

It wasn’t really an argument.

That’s currently what he’s paid in relation to the rest of the roster. I’d argue Wendell is more important to the roster making less money on a more current deal. So who is going to be retained and get paid otherwise?

Paolo, Franz, Suggs, Cole most likely. That’s the list of absolutes barring a huge trade.

We know Paolo and Franz will get max contracts. People are fooling themselves if they don’t think Fultz will be making 25m-30m+. The actual argument is whether or not giving him that money makes sense 3-4 years down the road when he clearly doesn’t fit with the other guys I just listed.

If I’m making any argument it’s about Fultz upside, his skill set, and how it absolutely doesn’t mesh with who is the future of this roster. People can disagree with that assessment if they want. I’m just not sure those people understand what point guards have to bring to the table in 2023 if they aren’t the first or second options in the lineup making starters money.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#758 » by 89Magicfan » Mon May 22, 2023 4:21 pm

I disagree on that last paragraph.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#759 » by Bakomagic » Mon May 22, 2023 4:33 pm

eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

The main difference is that Gordon was leading the team in MPG while Fultz is tied for 3rd. Which just means that the cost of sticking with Fultz is lower than sticking with Gordon.

I trust the front office. I think he gets dealt. We have so many resources to throw at the backcourt. Healthy we were a .500 team, I get that, I just don't think there is evidence that Fultz was a critical factor. Does the front office have evidence he was? Player tracking maybe?

The main difference is that MF had shown (pre-TOS) that he can be a lab all-star 2 way player and AG it was more about hoping he develops into one.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that we need to keep MF no matter what! So miss me with a full stats and erroneous player example breakdown of why he won’t (not aimed at anyone specifically).

If the right upgrade becomes available take it, otherwise I don’t mind seeing if Fultz can continue his improvement (Need to see the rise up 3 become an regular occurrence on solid %) and becomes the third scorer to Franz and Paolo.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#760 » by fendilim » Mon May 22, 2023 4:35 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
fendilim wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Serious question.

It wasn’t really an argument.

That’s currently what he’s paid in relation to the rest of the roster. I’d argue Wendell is more important to the roster making less money on a more current deal. So who is going to be retained and get paid otherwise?

Paolo, Franz, Suggs, Cole most likely. That’s the list of absolutes barring a huge trade.

We know Paolo and Franz will get max contracts. People are fooling themselves if they don’t think Fultz will be making 25m-30m+. The actual argument is whether or not giving him that money makes sense 3-4 years down the road when he clearly doesn’t fit with the other guys I just listed.

That’s true, WCj is more valuable than Fultz. But the circumstance when WCj signed that contract was different than when Fultz signed his contract. Fultz signed the deal when we were trying to win and he was the best PG we had at that time. Even then, Fultz’ deal have partial guarantees he had to meet as well. We were able to re-sign WCj at that deal because he was injury prone prior to that and had to lock-in the money.

I’m not worried about Fultz’ next deal. The league is a copycat league and with the advanced analytics coming into play, a guard without a 3-point shot don’t really garner that much in free agency. And with the Heat playing like how they are playing, oh boy, shooters will come at an even more premium.

I honestly dont think he’ll get 25-30million, unless you consider the new CBA, then I’ll have to consider the relation of the 25m-30m to the percentage of the salary cap. If its simply the same percentage as it was when Fultz signed his current deal, I wouldn’t mind. Even if he makes makes more than I do, I don’t care, as long as we’re not outbidding ourself.

Do you realize that by the end of the new CBA players can get paid 60-80million per year. 25-30million is not even half of it. Even 16million isnt even half of what Christ Paul makes now.

Also, if you look at how this management operates, they do descending deals more often than not.

Return to Orlando Magic