ImageImageImageImage

Run it back next year?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should we run it back for next season?

Yes, including the lottery pick(s), we should be good to go for next season and run it back (including make minor Free Agency Signing(s))
49%
No, we should sign some major player from Free Agency, like FVV, and roll it to upgrade the roster and bring everyone else back
26%
No, we should make major trades and give up potentially a lot for a Star or All Star
9%
No, we need to trade to replace players like Markelle or Gary Harris. Either thru trade or draft
16%

Total votes: 43

J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Re: Run it back next year? 

Post#41 » by J_Magic » Fri May 26, 2023 5:27 pm

Bring Monty Williams in...he has succeeded improving every team he has coached.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#42 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 31, 2023 2:49 pm

I really like the idea of running it back including our draft picks this year. I know, I know that we have too much youth. But we are 3rd youngest team last year. Youth is an excuse for success but also it is an advantage. Paolo in his rookie season already averages 20 ppg. And Franz looks like one of the most promising young players in this league. I can't wait for the next season.

The biggest reason for running it back to me is this year's draft. I want to see who can come in and make an immediate impact next season. I like Cam or Hendricks at 6 and Hawkins at 11.

I do not think we are going to spend big money in Free Agency also. Maybe next year. But since we are not getting Kyrie or Harden. There is also no point of paying 30M or more to FVV.

I like potential trade also. But I do not want to part ways with our young core.

I am also a Fultz fan. Even though he is in Year 6 in this league but he has missed over 200 games. Including that, he has made tremendous improvement in his game. There is a reason for him being the NO.1 pick and he has shown a lot it by handling the point, change of pace and get to wherever he wants to on the court

I think we run it back!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#43 » by drsd » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:04 pm

MasterGMer wrote:I really like the idea of running it back including our draft picks this year. I know, I know that we have too much youth. But we are 3rd youngest team last year. Youth is an excuse for success but also it is an advantage. Paolo in his rookie season already averages 20 ppg. And Franz looks like one of the most promising young players in this league. I can't wait for the next season.

The biggest reason for running it back to me is this year's draft. I want to see who can come in and make an immediate impact next season. I like Cam or Hendricks at 6 and Hawkins at 11.

I do not think we are going to spend big money in Free Agency also. Maybe next year. But since we are not getting Kyrie or Harden. There is also no point of paying 30M or more to FVV.

I like potential trade also. But I do not want to part ways with our young core.

I am also a Fultz fan. Even though he is in Year 6 in this league but he has missed over 200 games. Including that, he has made tremendous improvement in his game. There is a reason for him being the NO.1 pick and he has shown a lot it by handling the point, change of pace and get to wherever he wants to on the court

I think we run it back!

And-1

The reality is drafting two BPAs, releasing G-Harris and resigning M-Wagner leads to a very competent team.

I actually would be very happy with:

Fultz/Anthony
Suggs/Houstan/Hawkins
F-Wagner/Bol/Okeke
Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks
Carter/Bitadze/M-Wagner

As that is the absolute floor of the Magic roster on opening night, we should all expect "role it back" to be a nice product.

Of course I would like the Magic to invest in a SG to make the above even better (as I loathe the idea of a Fultz/Suggs backcourt).
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#44 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:37 pm

drsd wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:I really like the idea of running it back including our draft picks this year. I know, I know that we have too much youth. But we are 3rd youngest team last year. Youth is an excuse for success but also it is an advantage. Paolo in his rookie season already averages 20 ppg. And Franz looks like one of the most promising young players in this league. I can't wait for the next season.

I think we run it back!

And-1

The reality is drafting two BPAs, releasing G-Harris and resigning M-Wagner leads to a very competent team.

Fultz/Anthony
Suggs/Houstan/Hawkins
F-Wagner/Bol/Okeke
Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks
Carter/Bitadze/M-Wagner

As that is the absolute floor of the Magic roster on opening night, we should all expect "role it back" to be a nice product.

Of course I would like the Magic to invest in a SG to make the above even better (as I loathe the idea of a Fultz/Suggs backcourt).

That team won't win 35 games nor be in playin
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#45 » by eyriq » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:38 pm

My preferred rotation as of right now given we don't move Fultz:

Point guard: Fultz
Combo guard: Keyonte
Shooting guard: Suggs
Swing-man: Ausar
Small forward: Franz
Combo forward: Isaac
Power forward: Paolo
Combo big: Moritz
Quick center: WCJ
Power center: Goga

Edit:
I'd say our most common rotation for comparison was the below. This above rotation has 40% turnover. I think that is borderline not run it back but whatever.

Point guard: Fultz
Combo guard: Cole
Shooting guard: Harris
Swing-man: Suggs
Small forward: Franz
Combo forward: Okeke
Power forward: Paolo
Combo big: Bol
Quick center: WCJ
Power center: Moritz
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#46 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:08 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

I think we run it back!

And-1

Fultz/Anthony
Suggs/Houstan/Hawkins
F-Wagner/Bol/Okeke
Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks
Carter/Bitadze/M-Wagner

So... injuries removed.... you anticipate no improvements from the team that was the 3rd youngest team in the league? A team that finished the season strong after they regained their health... well some of it. Franz... no step forward.... paolo.... no step forward.... fultz...etc etc etc. A summer training camp with all players available will do a world of a difference as play style and habits are created.

kind of hard to just simply say .... "That team won't win 35 games nor be in playin" lol
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#47 » by drsd » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:18 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:That team won't win 35 games nor be in playin

So... injuries removed.... you anticipate no improvements from the team that was the 3rd youngest team in the league? A team that finished the season strong after they regained their health... well some of it. Franz... no step forward.... paolo.... no step forward.... fultz...etc etc etc. A summer training camp with all players available will do a world of a difference as play style and habits are created.

kind of hard to just simply say .... "That team won't win 35 games nor be in playin" lol

I have to agree. After Fultz came in on game-22, the Magic went 29-32. That has the Magic's roll-it-back beginning at a 48% win rate, which is 39 wins.

Unless two significant players are injured, how can a Magic team, where essentially every individual player will improve their skills, win less than 40 games. It is not really feasible.

Here's a bold thought: I think it is more likely the Magic win 47 games than lose 47 games, which is what pepe is predicting.

The roster as it stands looks like a solid 41-41 team to me (if healthy).

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#48 » by eyriq » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:04 pm

drsd wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

I have to agree. After Fultz came in on game-22, the Magic went 29-32. That has the Magic's roll-it-back beginning at a 48% win rate, which is 39 wins.

Unless two significant players are injured, how can a Magic team, where essentially every individual player will improve their skills, win less than 40 games. It is not really feasible.

Here's a bold thought: I think it is more likely the Magic win 47 games than lose 47 games, which is what pepe is predicting.

I'm with you. Just based on improvement from Paolo, Franz, and WCJ I'm expecting a 6 win improvement. That's my baseline.

Improvement in health from Suggs, Fultz, and Isaac could push us over, especially Isaac. If Isaac plays 60+ games and is top ten in MPG I think we will improve by 12+ wins. Calling it now, Isaac is a huge wildcard.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,776

Post#49 » by Audi » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:17 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

Fultz/Anthony
Suggs/Houstan/Hawkins
F-Wagner/Bol/Okeke
Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks
Carter/Bitadze/M-Wagner

Maybe he's saying losing Gary Harris would be so detrimental that all of the young guy's improvement still wouldn't make up for the gaping hole the ghost of Harris would leave behind?
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#50 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:32 pm

drsd wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Few things:

1) Harris , no matter how usless he can be, provides much needed spacing that opens driving lines for Banchero and Franz. If you outright replace him pretty limited Suggs, Magic by default become least talented team at PG-SG spots in starting 5.

2) Magic injuried were literally in line with rest of a league. I stopped counting Isaac as active player back in 2020.

3) 2024 is apsolute stinker of a draft and nobody will outright tank. That alone will limit amount of garbage wins

4) More you win harder it is to improve you record.

5) Magic weren't displayed ability to beat winning teams. 19 out of 29 teams had winning record.

6) outlook of Magic record ( 34-48 ) looks better than bigger picture ( 6th worst record).

6th point is pivotal. During 2022-23 only 3 teams outright tanked, where in past you would have 5,6,7 teams wininng 20-25 games.
Normally 5th worst record doesn't win 33 games. Year prior 5th worst record won 27. Prior covid 29, 25, 29 etc.

There are bit of false sense of superiority of rebuild based on different W column than it was normal in past. Middle of a league is very even. Just internal growth won't make difference from Magic winning 34 to 44 games.
For example Wizards won 35 games despite fact each and every single starter missed at least 17 games.
Bulls went to playin despite fact starting PG and PF combined for 22 games.
Indiana is in similar boat with us, in sense of probably feeling better than they should.

On top of that young players are notorious as negative assets in terms of production. If you play TWO more rookies your bench will go from one of better in nba to one of worst instantlly.

I mean, keep in mind Miami Heat and Warriors won 44 games this year and stacked Raptors team 41. Let's not pretend winning 45 games is easy task.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#51 » by j-ragg » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:39 pm

Outside of one trade deadline, all we’ve done is run it back with this front office. Not that I think it’s dumb or anything in our current situation, but it would be nice if they would try to address our annual bottom 5 offense (shooting) and make it easier on our forwards.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#52 » by Magicman125 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:25 pm

If they do run it back with both lottery picks, I hope it's two shooters like Hendricks and Dick/Hawkins they draft. Otherwise I hope they sign or trade for shooting at either the PG or SG slot. I'd also like a floor spacing backup C like Brook Lopez.

Return to Orlando Magic