ImageImageImageImage

Run it back next year?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should we run it back for next season?

Yes, including the lottery pick(s), we should be good to go for next season and run it back (including make minor Free Agency Signing(s))
49%
No, we should sign some major player from Free Agency, like FVV, and roll it to upgrade the roster and bring everyone else back
26%
No, we should make major trades and give up potentially a lot for a Star or All Star
9%
No, we need to trade to replace players like Markelle or Gary Harris. Either thru trade or draft
16%

Total votes: 43

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Re: Run it back next year? 

Post#21 » by Last Guardian » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:22 pm

Of course. Team had a great improvement in wins and that was with being unhealthy first part of the season and last few games being on purpose losses. There is talent in this team and it is young and only going to get better.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#22 » by I Rasharted » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:38 am

I expect them to run it back and save their flexibility for a spontaneous "must jump on it" situation. Not sure if that's actually the right approach, though.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 668

Post#23 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:21 pm

I am not happy about the idea of running it back with the roster as constructed. The odds of one of our guards much less 2 making the leap to open the floor is low. One would hope the draft resolves this problematic situation.

I am in the category of "for a free agent signing" for the correct price and not outbidding ourselves.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#24 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:57 pm

The rotation is ok, but what I don't like is playing Suggs in the swing-man role and our combo forward depth. I don't think Suggs or Harris have the size to play mins at the 3. Suggs as the starting shooting guard makes sense as his shooting continues to improve. If he's a bench player I'd rather him fill a combo guard role. But Cole is perfect for it, tough to beat him out. So you resolve this backcourt issue by replacing Cole or Harris with a swing-man. If you trade Cole for a swing-man you rely on Suggs to be our sixth man and start Harris. That's a waste of Suggs. If you replace Harris you potentially lose a lot of shooting. Conundrum. If you run it back with the same back court you are left with the undersized swing-man. Maybe Harris and Suggs have good enough defense to allow it.

At combo forward you have JI, Okeke, and Bol. Healthy JI is a game changer. Okeke and Bol are dead ends.

Combo big lacks depth. It's really just Moritz. I'm ok with him being in the big rotation with WCJ and Goga though. Just need to bring in another big.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#25 » by MasterGMer » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:19 pm

If Luka is possible, do we give up a lot for him?

Based on Mike Bianchi’s article, it is not a far reached idea.

Could we swing a deal for him to get him to his favorite coach?

This is the only scenario that I don’t run it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#26 » by Howard Mass » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 pm

I think there will not be that many changes to this roster.

Unless The Magic are signing Fred Van Fleet (I think they should pass), they should not sign any free agents to big money contracts. Maybe a vet to a small deal but that's it.

Then, they should use their own first rounder and explore their options with The Chicago pick.

In the Second Round, with the new CBA having 3 Two-Way Contracts, they should at least pick someone at #36 or trade down to net a future 2nd round pick with a later choice.

My guess is Gary Harris' option is declined although if it is picked up, you know the Magic really aren't looking to spend this summer.

All in all, add at least a top Draft Choice, let Mo Wagner go and maybe bring in a few vets on cheap contracts.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 » by Howard Mass » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:24 pm

And I am against dealing a ton of picks and youth for a star.

It's best to keep your Draft Picks so you can add cheap young players when you get good.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:38 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I think there will not be that many changes to this roster.

Unless The Magic are signing Fred Van Fleet (I think they should pass), they should not sign any free agents to big money contracts. Maybe a vet to a small deal but that's it.

Then, they should use their own first rounder and explore their options with The Chicago pick.

In the Second Round, with the new CBA having 3 Two-Way Contracts, they should at least pick someone at #36 or trade down to net a future 2nd round pick with a later choice.

My guess is Gary Harris' option is declined although if it is picked up, you know the Magic really aren't looking to spend this summer.

All in all, add at least a top Draft Choice, let Mo Wagner go and maybe bring in a few vets on cheap contracts.

Replace Mo Wagner with Jarace Walker, start Suggs at the 2, and let Caleb Houstan beat out Gary Harris for a rotation spot. This is the way.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,349

Post#29 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:22 pm

If I had to guess right now...

G: Fultz, Anthony
G: FA signing, Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, 1st Round Pick, Okeke
F: Banchero, 1st Round Pick, Isaac, Bol
C: Carter, Bitadze, M. Wagner
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#30 » by Howard Mass » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:09 pm

eyriq wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I think there will not be that many changes to this roster.

Replace Mo Wagner with Jarace Walker, start Suggs at the 2, and let Caleb Houstan beat out Gary Harris for a rotation spot. This is the way.

I think Suggs needs to start.

not sure who'd I'd Draft yet at #6.

CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 736

Post#31 » by CZ Eddie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:39 pm

I like our starters and several of our bench. And I doubt we can afford to keep them all.
Aside from ensuring a nice rotation of vets to come in and be a positive presence in the locker room, I'm good to go with our team as-is!
Can't keep the same bench vets year in and year out.
Gotta shuffle that up a bit.
Keep your politics out of my sports
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#32 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:36 am

We can add two rotation picks and be significantly improved but a bold trade move has a much higher ceiling
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#33 » by OrlandoSaban » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Paolo Banchero is going to win Rookie of the year. He is killing it all year.
Franz made a huge jump in his career also, taking more ball control and even ran as PG at beginning of the season
Wendell is our inside anchor. I do not have the exact stats but after his return from early season injury, the team has won a lot of games.
Markelle had the best season of his career. His mid ranges are very efficient. We will see how he works out this summer to improve his 3pt shooting. I have big expectations for him. "F**K it"
Cole found his role of this team, the 6th man of the team. He is instant offense and I love his poise and confidence. His shooting was the best of his career.
Also the X factor, Jonathan Isaac. He has a minor injury and he should be back for the starting of training camp

So I have the question here: After started 5-20 in the early season, Magic went 29-28 if including the tank job of last two games of the season.

Is this team good enough to run it back for next season depending on the draft lottery and draft picks that we are going to have?

Everyone is looking forward to next season for a playoff contention. I know everyone is looking at the Draft Lottery for our fate. Also looking forward to the Free Agency for a player like Fred Vanfleet or Max Strus or Gary Trent Jr.

There are Stars or even Super stars unhappy. Doncic sounds more promising than ever. So could Trae Young and Ant man. Could we swing a deal to land one of them.

Even Jeff Weltman said Orlando could be a place for Free Agency and Orlando is monitoring the landscape and potentially get a star or super star, but depending on the cost and price.

This team is in the best situation we have never been. We are in good spot. Magic could have up to 55M in cap space and we have all of our draft picks. If the goal is to content for a championship, we are definitely on track.

What do you think?

I honestly think we need to tank again for the next 4 seasons before even thinking about playoffs
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#34 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:42 am

This team wants to play together. They love playing together. That is the culture we built this year and that is Chemistry.

I may be on the FVV train and I may be on the Kyrie train. But if we can keep our young core together. That is more promising
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#35 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:26 am

MasterGMer wrote:This team wants to play together. They love playing together. That is the culture we built this year and that is Chemistry.

I may be on the FVV train and I may be on the Kyrie train. But if we can keep our young core together. That is more promising

Sure...as long as everyone's happy.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#36 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 am

MasterGMer wrote:This team wants to play together. They love playing together. That is the culture we built this year and that is Chemistry.

This is more and more likely now that Magic will run it back plus the two FRPs.

I like Hendricks and Jordan Hawkins, both are good shooters from 3. Hendricks' defensive ability can give us another Jonathan Isaac type player

I am not sure about our Free Agency plan. But I know for sure, we will have Paolo and Franz on the lineup starting next year. At least, it is my hope
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#37 » by drsd » Fri May 26, 2023 10:20 am

MasterGMer wrote:

This is more and more likely now that Magic will run it back plus the two FRPs.

I like Hendricks and Jordan Hawkins, both are good shooters from 3. Hendricks' defensive ability can give us another Jonathan Isaac type player

I am not sure about our Free Agency plan. But I know for sure, we will have Paolo and Franz on the lineup starting next year. At least, it is my hope

If G-Harris starts for Orlando at SG on opening night, I will throw up. That is my promise.

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,188

Post#38 » by cedric76 » Fri May 26, 2023 10:43 am

The more i think about it the more I think it s is the best option

Draft : Cam or Hendricks at 6
Draft : Dick or bufkin at 11

and run back the same team, this would allow us to :

Make play in at least
be a big FA player next summer
Be a massive player when a disgruntled Star pushes for a trade, ex: Brown doesn't sign his max extension and says that he wants to move to Orlando, Boston would have to trade him here to avoid him leaving for nothing next summer as he is RFA

Boston would say no to our 6+11+harris+cole+ future FRP now, but once he rejects his max extension they would come back quickly to us
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by eyriq » Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm

I don't hate the "draft shooters and run it back" plan
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#40 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri May 26, 2023 2:58 pm

Unless each player is going to take a giant leap in their development, we need shooters and a rim protector, running it back will leave us with the same frustrations. I think this team can make the playoffs, but if we want to win a few games in the playoffs, we need to find our shooters (it's been like 13 seasons, I think it's time to search for one) and a rim protector.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)

Return to Orlando Magic