ImageImageImageImage

Vuc coming home

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Re: Vuc coming home 

Post#101 » by jonbob17 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Can we stop with this?

Orlando’s needs:
Perimeter scoring, Backup defensive big, Wing depth.

Orlando RealGM board:
let’s spend cap space on Vucevic because we like him and he’s familiar.

Vuc offers perimeter scoring, and why does our back up big need to be a defensive one? Carter has been pretty consistent in his games played each of his 5 years totaling between 43 and 62, averaging 52 games per season. That's an average of 30 games missed per season, and it's been consistent.

If we assume that Wendell plays that average, 52 games, next year at 30 minutes a game(1560 minutes for Wendell). That leaves 2,376 center minutes unaccounted for. Do we want to give 2,000 plus minutes to Goga and/or MoVV? maybe..

I do think Vuc would make some sense. but he's going to get some decent offers. He'll be about the best center available depending on how one views KP as a player/position. I'd expect Chicago is going to offer him close to what he's at now. If they were to pass, and we could pick up Vuc for $17M or so a year....There are a lot worse ways to spend our money, a cheap deal should also be plenty moveable should a star the FO wanted to chase became available in the next couple years.

Vuc could be a reasonable way to add some perimeter shooting, and sort of like a Porzingis-lite kind of deal...fully expect KP to get mid 30s annually. I say this, not as a fan of his. I was begging the Magic to blow the team up including Vuc, as soon as JI got hurt in the bubble...did not think they would, and still give the FO a lot of credit for making that decision.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 675

Post#102 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 24, 2023 5:22 pm

Orlando’s needs:

Orlando RealGM board:

Before I met my current Bride I was doing the classic on again off again relationship with this one woman. Stuck in what was familiar. Not understanding that she just isn't the best for me. She was a great woman, hence the me going back, she just wasn't THE woman.

To be young, awake, and alive.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#103 » by jonbob17 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:27 pm

basketballRob wrote:How's Vassell's knee after the surgery last season?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

healed? He played 30 minutes a game during 9 March games.

The Spurs were the most thorough tanking last year, trading their best players and sitting starters. Portland was blatantand effective later on in the season, and Dallas even later than them.
So I think they would have held out Vassell as much as possible regardless of the severity of the situation. should be good to go moving forward.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#104 » by jonbob17 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:31 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:Vuc is 1,012 points away from being the all time scoring leader in team history. That could be a reason why he takes a discount to sign here.

Who knows, I’ll still believe it when I see it.

That's cool for trivia night at the Ale House, but i am not sure it matters as much as $2M a year over 3 years.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,932

Post#105 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 24, 2023 5:33 pm

jonbob17 wrote:

Orlando’s needs:

Orlando RealGM board:

Vuc offers perimeter scoring, and why does our back up big need to be a defensive one? Carter has been pretty consistent in his games played each of his 5 years totaling between 43 and 62, averaging 52 games per season. That's an average of 30 games missed per season, and it's been consistent.

If we assume that Wendell plays that average, 52 games, next year at 30 minutes a game(1560 minutes for Wendell). That leaves 2,376 center minutes unaccounted for. Do we want to give 2,000 plus minutes to Goga and/or MoVV? maybe..

I do think Vuc would make some sense. but he's going to get some decent offers. He'll be about the best center available depending on how one views KP as a player/position. I'd expect Chicago is going to offer him close to what he's at now. If they were to pass, and we could pick up Vuc for $17M or so a year....There are a lot worse ways to spend our money, a cheap deal should also be plenty moveable should a star the FO wanted to chase became available in the next couple years.

Vuc could be a reasonable way to add some perimeter shooting, and sort of like a Porzingis-lite kind of deal...fully expect KP to get mid 30s annually. I say this, not as a fan of his. I was begging the Magic to blow the team up including Vuc, as soon as JI got hurt in the bubble...did not think they would, and still give the FO a lot of credit for making that decision.

I get that Vuc provides some of these things.

The question is really: How much cap-space do we want to dedicate to the backup Center position knowing a lot of it will soon be tied up.

If we are being realistic I’d rather just sign a garbage man Center or draft some young guy with defensive upside with the 2nd rounder.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#106 » by jonbob17 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

The question is really: How much cap-space do we want to dedicate to the backup Center position knowing a lot of it will soon be tied up.

If we are being realistic I’d rather just sign a garbage man Center or draft some young guy with defensive upside with the 2nd rounder.

I guess the point is a good deal is a good deal regardless of the position. We could trade for Poole or Simons and have that contract instantly turn negative if they were outted as not being able to play meaningful basketball next to players who are not all-time floor spacers. Vuc in the high teens is a a good deal. We should be looking for good deals because they can be moved and packaged for future players.

In the meantime, or if he wasn't traded, Vuc would help this team win more basketball games. I am all for going cheap at the center position, I really am, but with the lack of shooting on this team, I am not sure we give to many minutes to a guy like Goga (who I actually like, just not with the current group of guys). MoVV kind of grew on me this year too, I think he's capable of being a meaningful back up big, just not sure he could handle the excess minutes if/when WCJ misses time.
WCJ gives me some anxiety too, though again he's on a nice deal, plenty tradeable...there were games this year, where i was just like he's not going to work, too small...then there were games i thought he's the perfect center (at the price) for the modern nba.

I guess I would be a lot more comfortable with Vuc at around 3/51 than FVV at 4/140+ or Poole's 4/123, realizing that those are positions of need.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#107 » by Rick Rolled » Wed May 24, 2023 5:50 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:Vuc is 1,012 points away from being the all time scoring leader in team history. That could be a reason why he takes a discount to sign here.

Who knows, I’ll still believe it when I see it.

That's cool for trivia night at the Ale House, but i am not sure it matters as much as $2M a year over 3 years.

Yup, again, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don’t necessarily hold Twitter’s OmarMagic12 in the same regard as Shams and Woj when it comes to breaking news and rumors.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,932

Post#108 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I guess the point is a good deal is a good deal regardless of the position. We could trade for Poole or Simons and have that contract instantly turn negative if they were outted as not being able to play meaningful basketball next to players who are not all-time floor spacers. Vuc in the high teens is a a good deal. We should be looking for good deals because they can be moved and packaged for future players.

In the meantime, or if he wasn't traded, Vuc would help this team win more basketball games. I am all for going cheap at the center position, I really am, but with the lack of shooting on this team, I am not sure we give to many minutes to a guy like Goga (who I actually like, just not with the current group of guys). MoVV kind of grew on me this year too, I think he's capable of being a meaningful back up big, just not sure he could handle the excess minutes if/when WCJ misses time.
WCJ gives me some anxiety too, though again he's on a nice deal, plenty tradeable...there were games this year, where i was just like he's not going to work, too small...then there were games i thought he's the perfect center (at the price) for the modern nba.

I guess I would be a lot more comfortable with Vuc at around 3/51 than FVV at 4/140+ or Poole's 4/123, realizing that those are positions of need.

The beauty of this is that I think it all depends on the draft. If they go with Lively for some reason they could pivot with those veteran options. Maybe the opposite if they draft one of the zillions of swingman options at #11 instead of paying those guys.

I just don’t think people would be enamored with the idea of signing Nikola Vucevic to a “good deal” if he was a free agent named Vikola Nucevic and had no ties to Orlando whatsoever.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,624

Post#109 » by Skybox » Wed May 24, 2023 6:33 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:

Orlando’s needs:

Orlando RealGM board:

I generally agree, but there are a lot of teams that might move a mid to late first to us (especially if part of a bigger deal) that would get us Lively. I understand that 3 rookies is a NO, but we could basically expect NOTHING from him except some development minutes...if he starts pushing for more, he could be our long-term answer...I'd also compare him to Isaac-so, if Isaac looks good to go, he might be our absolute best option for a 7'+ defensive minded center off the bench (or maybe, someday, starting) - he's a beautiful fit if he's actually on our active roster. I go to a lot of games and walk by the bench...he's a BIGGG dude...then, there's always whoever the next ROLO is.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#110 » by jonbob17 » Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

Skybox wrote:
I generally agree, but there are a lot of teams that might move a mid to late first to us (especially if part of a bigger deal) that would get us Lively. I understand that 3 rookies is a NO, but we could basically expect NOTHING from him except some development minutes...if he starts pushing for more, he could be our long-term answer...I'd also compare him to Isaac-so, if Isaac looks good to go, he might be our absolute best option for a 7'+ defensive minded center off the bench (or maybe, someday, starting) - he's a beautiful fit if he's actually on our active roster. I go to a lot of games and walk by the bench...he's a BIGGG dude...then, there's always whoever the next ROLO is.

I am good with a center that takes 6 shots a game and scores 8 points, can defend multiple big positions and protect the rim. It's hard to see Lively not becoming a decent starter in this league given his size, defending, efficiency at the rim. If you can get a guy whose floor by the end of his rookie deal is the 15th best center in the league at pick 18 (trade Denver + 36). Pick 18 will get around $3M a year, thats a pretty good bargain for 4 years, long term traditional centers like Lively don't get huge deals, so he should be affordable after 4 years.
Whats more likely Lively becomes the 15th best center, or GG Jackson learns one nba level skill? I know what I would bet on. All that said wth lively, would have to scheme around him and his space on the floor....even though he claims he is a good shooter.

Kind of disappointing our FO couldn't have seen either a more sure thing last year with Walker Kessler, and his 7.1 blocks per 40 NCAA all-time record(Lively 4.7). HIndsight, Kessler should have been the most obvious high level defending center in a long time...

I'd also love Isaac to be our back-up-center, back-up-plan at center, BUT his body is in as bad of shape as Tigers Woods's at this point. Don't trust either to ever be healthy for a meaningful period of time. Of course, I hope I am completely wrong on both accounts.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#111 » by Skin » Wed May 24, 2023 7:29 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I am good with a center that takes 6 shots a game and scores 8 points, can defend multiple big positions and protect the rim. It's hard to see Lively not becoming a decent starter in this league given his size, defending, efficiency at the rim. If you can get a guy whose floor by the end of his rookie deal is the 15th best center in the league at pick 18 (trade Denver + 36). Pick 18 will get around $3M a year, thats a pretty good bargain for 4 years, long term traditional centers like Lively don't get huge deals, so he should be affordable after 4 years.
Whats more likely Lively becomes the 15th best center, or GG Jackson learns one nba level skill? I know what I would bet on. All that said wth lively, would have to scheme around him and his space on the floor....even though he claims he is a good shooter.

Kind of disappointing our FO couldn't have seen either a more sure thing last year with Walker Kessler, and his 7.1 blocks per 40 NCAA all-time record(Lively 4.7). HIndsight, Kessler should have been the most obvious high level defending center in a long time...

I'd also love Isaac to be our back-up-center, back-up-plan at center, BUT his body is in as bad of shape as Tigers Woods's at this point. Don't trust either to ever be healthy for a meaningful period of time. Of course, I hope I am completely wrong on both accounts.

Amen. Lively is the kind of Center we need to add.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,823

Post#112 » by RookieStar » Wed May 24, 2023 9:38 pm

Guys, if we really are serious about competing next season, we won't develop a backup C. Whoever that person is would get eaten alive from the regular/bench C in the league.

Also. Vuc is a starting C to all but those teams with allstar C on their teams already. If it's true that he is willing to take a discount and less minutes to BACKUP our C spot. Then by all means.. that's like a gift from above.

If he can hold on his own and even score against the majority of the starting Cs in the league, imagine what he will do in less minutes against the backup Cs.

When our bench comes in, why do we want a defensive C? Shouldn't we want offense against the opponents bench?
Skin
RealGM

Post#113 » by Skin » Wed May 24, 2023 10:23 pm

RookieStar wrote:Guys, if we really are serious about competing next season, we won't develop a backup C. Whoever that person is would get eaten alive from the regular/bench C in the league.

Also. Vuc is a starting C to all but those teams with allstar C on their teams already. If it's true that he is willing to take a discount and less minutes to BACKUP our C spot. Then by all means.. that's like a gift from above.

If he can hold on his own and even score against the majority of the starting Cs in the league, imagine what he will do in less minutes against the backup Cs.

When our bench comes in, why do we want a defensive C? Shouldn't we want offense against the opponents bench?

He's not gonna want to come off the bench for long even if he says it (which still hasn't been said anywhere).
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#114 » by basketballRob » Wed May 24, 2023 10:31 pm

If I were Vuc, I wouldn't go back to the Bulls unless they offered a 4-yr $60m type deal. He'd be happier just taking a MLE deal somewhere that has a promising team. Golden State would be a good spot for him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#115 » by RookieStar » Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 pm

Skin wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Guys, if we really are serious about competing next season, we won't develop a backup C. Whoever that person is would get eaten alive from the regular/bench C in the league.

He's not gonna want to come off the bench for long even if he says it (which still hasn't been said anywhere).

Who knows. That is probably why they talk it over. If our FO believes him rhat he is fine with 20mins a night... then why not.

Besides, would anyone get mad here IF and this is a BIG IF.... after AS break and we are fighting for the 5th seed because after wcj has his yearly injury that caused Vuc to be a starter, we found out that pur 10 game win streak was because of Vuc, we stay with Vuc as the starter?
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 847

Post#116 » by axl_c_cool » Wed May 24, 2023 11:56 pm

I've thought for a while Golden State would be a good fit for him.

If it isn't a discounted deal for us I hope he goes there

Sent from my SM-G996B using RealGM mobile app
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Skin
RealGM

Post#117 » by Skin » Thu May 25, 2023 12:48 am

RookieStar wrote:
Skin wrote:

Who knows. That is probably why they talk it over. If our FO believes him rhat he is fine with 20mins a night... then why not.

Besides, would anyone get mad here IF and this is a BIG IF.... after AS break and we are fighting for the 5th seed because after wcj has his yearly injury that caused Vuc to be a starter, we found out that pur 10 game win streak was because of Vuc, we stay with Vuc as the starter?

For Vuc to agree to it, he would have to accept less money than WCj. Otherwise it's a bad look. So he must love the Magic more than any other Magic player ever to do something like that.

I would still look to bolster the interior defense. We haven't fixed that since Vuc left and that was the reason he had to go.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#118 » by RookieStar » Thu May 25, 2023 1:11 am

Skin wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skin wrote:He's not gonna want to come off the bench for long even if he says it (which still hasn't been said anywhere).

For Vuc to agree to it, he would have to accept less money than WCj. Otherwise it's a bad look. So he must love the Magic more than any other Magic player ever to do something like that.

I would still look to bolster the interior defense. We haven't fixed that since Vuc left and that was the reason he had to go.

Yes.. less money and less minutes.

That is why this thread was created after all. There is a rumour that he is willing to do that just to be with hos family and in Orlando.

So if that rumour is false. Then obviously it is a no-go for everyone including me.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#119 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 25, 2023 1:50 am

thelead wrote:Not sure I buy the rumor but I mentioned this as a possibility a while ago… it makes too much sense for Vuc. I was okay with it months ago but the more I watch the bulls down the end of the season… man, I don’t think I could stomach his defense anymore. I guess it depends what the contract looks like.

Well, if he was a backup where the coach can change lineups based on needs for scoring and defense, then resigning Vuc is a no brainer. When defense is needed, play WCJ.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#120 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 25, 2023 7:42 am

Given how this playoffs shape, player like Vuc will be on demand in free agency.
Center who can make passes, hit open men, who is smart and has high BBIQ and can hit shots from outside are very valuable.

Vuc problem is fact that he never in his career played with good decision making ballhandler. And when he did, with Lonzo, they had 63% win rate, ofc guy got hurt after 30 games and didn't play since.

Vuc off bench for Magic would be like Brogdon off bench for Celtics. Pure luxury.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic