ImageImageImageImage

Extending Cole this summer?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Extending Cole this summer? 

Post#1 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri May 26, 2023 12:42 pm

What are people's thoughts?
I really liked how he settled into his 6th man role.
Was way more consistent this year.
Seems to be a leader with the team.
Not sure if he is suited to start.
Not sure what he desires? play in NYC? has he let the FO know his desires?
Are we drafting over him?
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Re: Extending Cole this summer? 

Post#2 » by Petre1978 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:45 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:What are people's thoughts?
I really liked how he settled into his 6th man role.
Was way more consistent this year.
Seems to be a leader with the team.
Not sure if he is suited to start.
Not sure what he desires? play in NYC? has he let the FO know his desires?
Are we drafting over him?

Of course he wants to play in NY!
Like Paolo who in 4 years will return to the Pacific West.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,232

Post#3 » by eyriq » Fri May 26, 2023 1:16 pm

I think he's moved this offseason.

1. He's a starter in this league and we don't have a starting role for him.
2. He's not a good fit. We need floor spacing and defense from our combo guard and he provides neither.
3. We have draft equity and cap space to throw at the backcourt, so something has to give.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Post#4 » by Petre1978 » Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm

eyriq wrote:I think he's moved this offseason.

2. He's not a good fit. We need floor spacing and defense from our combo guard and he provides neither.
3. We have draft equity and cap space to throw at the backcourt, so something has to give.

First you need to find a trade partner which is not so easy
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri May 26, 2023 2:32 pm

I wouldn’t extend him.
He is not a starter in this league, but a great 6th Man based on how he finished the season. It also helps that he had a long stretch of finally being healthy.
I’m not extending him, if he wants to be here and he’s good with a 6th man role, and he plays that role well again, then that’s worth paying a premium for than signing him to an extension now.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#6 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm

I would like to see him in the 6th man role one more year before we extend or match his contract. I know that he wants to be a starter but I am telling you, he can have such a great career if he accepts that role because the second unit would be all focused on him.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#7 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 26, 2023 3:14 pm

i would like for him to accept 6th man, spot starter 25-30 min a night role..if he would accept a 65-75 for 4 yrs declining contract after first season of deal the last 3 yrs would be great value at 140 decline before franz and suggs new contracts also if he improve as much this yr as last ..i would bet he does he could get 4 yrs 100 to match next summer i think the way he works and wants to be great i would try to get agreement now if you can if he wants rookie max then you wait..but he can be ideal 6th man and they get paid now
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 664

Post#8 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 pm

Petre1978 wrote:

Quoting both commenting both.

@eyriq
- I don't see him as a starter in the league. Maybe on a team that is desperate. IE us when Fultz is injured. If he couldn't cut the starting lineup on our team. Your odds of doing this elsewhere aren't great.
- You are right, he isn't a good fit. Especially in the role he wants vs the role we need. Although he is IMHO a career NBA Player.
- I would prefer a peaceful divorce from Fultz, but sadly I think Ausar wont give us that. Maybe Amen if he falls to us.

@Petre1978
- I think moving him is possible. Will it be for a deal? Will it be with other pieces? Will it be an addition by subtraction scenario? Well see.
- I am not high on our PG's values. I think if he starts the season off playing well from the bench, we might get a 1st or use him as a key component to a trade if thats our jam.
- If we were to just not opt in and let him walk for nothing, that wouldn't make me mad either.
- Cash considerations future 2nd rounder anyone?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by eyriq » Fri May 26, 2023 5:04 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

@eyriq
- I don't see him as a starter in the league. Maybe on a team that is desperate. IE us when Fultz is injured. If he couldn't cut the starting lineup on our team. Your odds of doing this elsewhere aren't great.
- You are right, he isn't a good fit. Especially in the role he wants vs the role we need. Although he is IMHO a career NBA Player.
- I would prefer a peaceful divorce from Fultz, but sadly I think Ausar wont give us that. Maybe Amen if he falls to us.

@Petre1978
- I think moving him is possible. Will it be for a deal? Will it be with other pieces? Will it be an addition by subtraction scenario? Well see.
- I am not high on our PG's values. I think if he starts the season off playing well from the bench, we might get a 1st or use him as a key component to a trade if thats our jam.
- If we were to just not opt in and let him walk for nothing, that wouldn't make me mad either.

Fair enough. I have him on the fringe anyway, at 131 overall and 29 positionally. I think he still has plenty of development left in him but I don't think his ceiling is all that high.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,338

Post#10 » by Knightro » Fri May 26, 2023 5:12 pm

I don't really agree with any of these three points :lol:

I think he's a really good backup guard, but pretty clearly too limited in certain areas to be a starter. I'm sure he believes he's a starting caliber player, but he's not.

I'd much rather pay Anthony 15M a year to be a 25 MPG Jordan Clarkson/Lou Williams off the bench flamethrower than pay Fultz more than that to be a below average starter.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 26, 2023 5:28 pm

Knightro wrote:

I don't really agree with any of these three points :lol:

I think he's a really good backup guard, but pretty clearly too limited in certain areas to be a starter. I'm sure he believes he's a starting caliber player, but he's not.

I'd much rather pay Anthony 15M a year to be a 25 MPG Jordan Clarkson/Lou Williams off the bench flamethrower than pay Fultz more than that to be a below average starter.

yea that 15 mill in yr 3 and 4 thats 4 and 5 yrs from now will be mle money..lol
thats why i put a bit more not alot but he would be great deal then i think
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 664

Post#12 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 26, 2023 5:41 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:First you need to find a trade partner which is not so easy

@eyriq

@Petre1978

Fair enough. I have him on the fringe anyway, at 131 overall and 29 positionally. I think he still has plenty of development left in him but I don't think his ceiling is all that high.

29th positional actually puts us back into agreeing more then disagree. haa.

I'm sure some of our differences come down to semantics and my glass half empty view of being 29th vs a glass half full approach of 29th + 131 overall.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#13 » by fendilim » Fri May 26, 2023 5:52 pm

I liked him in his first year. He does in-game adjustments on what to do and what not to do. Which is quite impressive.

But he kinda plateaued.

Also, he was by default handed the keys to the team after the midseason trade we did. Trading away buddy ball. I dont think he has accepted his fate that he is better as 6th man.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#14 » by IllMagic04 » Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 pm

Im still a Cole fan but whats the upside for either side to extend? Cole isn't a high level starter so he's not getting a huge offer from us right now. So seems like both parties should let the year play out and see what the market says. If he puts things together this year and shows he is a starter level player then things could get interesting next off-season.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 26, 2023 7:02 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:Im still a Cole fan but whats the upside for either side to extend? Cole isn't a high level starter so he's not getting a huge offer from us right now. So seems like both parties should let the year play out and see what the market says. If he puts things together this year and shows he is a starter level player then things could get interesting next off-season.

for magic to get a wcj type deal and hope to save long term money or have solid asset locked up
for anthony to get locked in guaranteed money in case injury or weak fa offers ask guys like schroder sometimes smart to take offer if its there
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by eyriq » Fri May 26, 2023 8:37 pm

Knightro wrote:

I don't really agree with any of these three points

What about point 3 don't you agree with? I get thinking Cole is too limited to start, and I get thinking a scoring guard is fine for a combo guard role, but I'm not sure what I'm missing in point 3.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#17 » by IllMagic04 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:10 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:Im still a Cole fan but whats the upside for either side to extend? Cole isn't a high level starter so he's not getting a huge offer from us right now. So seems like both parties should let the year play out and see what the market says. If he puts things together this year and shows he is a starter level player then things could get interesting next off-season.

for magic to get a wcj type deal and hope to save long term money or have solid asset locked up
for anthony to get locked in guaranteed money in case injury or weak fa offers ask guys like schroder sometimes smart to take offer if its there

Depends on the offer. Why would we give anymore then a solid deal you would give to a 6th man? It's not like he's been an elite 6th man yet. If Cole believes he's a starter he would want starter money. I would be happy to extend him I just don't want to overpay.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,338

Post#18 » by Knightro » Fri May 26, 2023 9:16 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I don't really agree with any of these three points

What about point 3 don't you agree with? I get thinking Cole is too limited to start, and I get thinking a scoring guard is fine for a combo guard role, but I'm not sure what I'm missing in point 3.

I think what the Magic would/should be chasing in free agency and the draft (starting PG, starting SG) don't really impact Anthony all that much.

Basically I think Cole Anthony is better in his role than Markelle Fultz is in his role and if I had to replace one of the two of them in their respective roles, it would be Markelle who gets replaced first.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 26, 2023 9:26 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

Depends on the offer. Why would we give anymore then a solid deal you would give to a 6th man? It's not like he's been an elite 6th man yet. If Cole believes he's a starter he would want starter money. I would be happy to extend him I just don't want to overpay.

read my first post its like 5th or so..i agree both sides meet in middle like the wcj deal
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#20 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri May 26, 2023 9:59 pm

I dont think hes a starter in the league. What team will he start on??? Or offer him that position???

If he realizes that, I'll be more than happy to extend him.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ

Return to Orlando Magic