ImageImageImageImage

Hacking how WeltHam choose players for the Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Re: Hacking how WeltHam choose players for the Magic 

Post#21 » by jezzerinho » Mon May 29, 2023 7:46 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:So I think your kinda on to something but maybe too specific instead of looking at the traits that pedigree means. They have told us what the formula is and they want a mature person. They continually bet on the mindset because who is going to bust their ass the most to get better. Which makes it hard to predict because I think the interview and the background of coaching and their history are very important. This is related as players who have played professionally overseas had to grow up faster and parents with coaching or playing backgrounds instill a work ethic and good character

There's something there for sure. Maybe i was being a bit prescriptive, but they seem to be after those traits and a certain life/basketball experience for sure.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#22 » by Bensational » Mon May 29, 2023 11:35 pm

jezzerinho wrote:There's something there for sure. Maybe i was being a bit prescriptive, but they seem to be after those traits and a certain life/basketball experience for sure.

I think they’re just looking for good, versatile players who are coachable and know/are prepared to put the team first.

With Paolo, Cole and even Houstan they went for scorers who were highly regarded in high school. With Franz and Suggs they took versatile guys who can do a bit of everything but could also grow into bigger contributors.

My gut keeps telling me that Black is that guy for us, even though his shooting looks to be a problem. Whitehead has played on deep teams stacked with highly ranked prep players and he has been through Duke’s program so I think he might be getting a look at with #11.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,892

Post#23 » by eyriq » Mon May 29, 2023 11:48 pm

Bensational wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:There's something there for sure. Maybe i was being a bit prescriptive, but they seem to be after those traits and a certain life/basketball experience for sure.

I think they’re just looking for good, versatile players who are coachable and know/are prepared to put the team first.

With Paolo, Cole and even Houstan they went for scorers who were highly regarded in high school. With Franz and Suggs they took versatile guys who can do a bit of everything but could also grow into bigger contributors.

My gut keeps telling me that Black is that guy for us, even though his shooting looks to be a problem. Whitehead has played on deep teams stacked with highly ranked prep players and he has been through Duke’s program so I think he might be getting a look at with #11.
I could talk myself into Black being top 4 in this draft. He's got a great personality, is amazing at defense, and gets to the line.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#24 » by shadrock » Mon May 29, 2023 11:55 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Something occurred to me recently and so I went to take a closer look at WeltHam's choice of players, drafted and signed, since 2020.

With the selection of Cole Anthony in the 2020 draft and the subsequent blow-up of the roster, a key trait seems to exist with practically everyone signed. Gone is the longboi obsession (as a principal driver for recruitment) and in its place since then is a pretty universal requirement:

That the player has a prior professional basketball background.

In other words, that they played in a pro/adult league pre-draft AND/OR
that they come from a professional basketball family.

Cole: Dad was a pro
Hampton: played pro in NBL
Bol: Dad was a pro
Carter Jr: Dad was a pro
Suggs: various family members in basketball and pro sport
Mo Wagner: played pro in Europe
Franz Wagner: played pro in Europe
Goga Bitadze: played pro in Europe
Banchero: Mum is a pro coach

Im not including bottom of the roster guys here (tho they may also fit, idk) or seasoned vets like Harris who already come with plenty of NBA experience and work ethic.

But there's a pattern here for sure. They're on the record as looking for players who "play the right way" and who are self-motivated hard workers, obsessed with basketball (post-Bamba trauma?). So the criteria make sense.

How common is it that an NBA roster is so full of guys with heavy predraft pro links? I don't know to be honest. Someone else can do that work!

But looking at the upcoming draft, what's striking is how few candidates there are in the 6-11 range that fulfill the criteria, so I doubt its a universal trait that most draftees have.

Likely to go above the Magic's picks:

Wembanyama:- plays pro in French league
Scoot:- plays pro in G League
Amen Thompson:- you can take 2 views on whether the twins qualify. On one hand they've been coached basketball by their dad since they were v small, homeschooled so they could train every day. They also chose the OTE (according to them) so they could acquire pro training and game prep habits.
But strictly they dont meet the criteria everyone else seems to on the Magic roster.

In our range:
Ausar Thompson :- see above
Jett Howard:- son of a pro player, also coached by him at Mich
Bilal Coulibaly:- playing pro in French league
Leonard Miller:- played pro in G-League

Below our range:
Rayan Rupert:- played pro in NBL
James Nnaji:- plays pro in Spanish league
Sidy Cissoko:- played pro in G-League

Thats it.
Slim pickings then, as far as WeltHam religiously sticking to the script.

Sure, there are some kids from rabid sports families with relatives in pro football or athletics like Whitehead & Hood-Schifino. But thats probably common in many draftees families.

Dereck Lively II's mum was a legendary college player in Penn St. and is now working in Penn St. athletics dept. Gradey Dick's mum was another college legend. But they have no pro basketball links either.

So, will WeltHam:

A) pick from this small pool?
B) use the lack of options as further justification for trading the picks for a vet?
C) move away from a trend that seems to have served them well?

I certainly think 'pedigree' as they call it does play a big role in who they draft. They want players who are ballers through and through. People who are self-driven to succeed, and dont require constant prodding from coaches.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#25 » by Bensational » Tue May 30, 2023 12:06 am

eyriq wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I could talk myself into Black being top 4 in this draft. He's got a great personality, is amazing at defense, and gets to the line.

He’s gotta fix that shot. I don’t think he has superstar potential but he has superglue potential. Maybe he’s the Jalen Williams of this draft? They’re the same height but JWill had a much bigger wingspan at 7ft and his standing reach was 8’10

I like Wallace over Black but he’s limited to strictly backcourt while Black can cover a bit of SF too.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by eyriq » Tue May 30, 2023 12:34 am

Bensational wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Bensational wrote:

He’s gotta fix that shot. I don’t think he has superstar potential but he has superglue potential. Maybe he’s the Jalen Williams of this draft? They’re the same height but JWill had a much bigger wingspan at 7ft and his standing reach was 8’10

I like Wallace over Black but he’s limited to strictly backcourt while Black can cover a bit of SF too.
If we get one of Ausar, Black, Wallace, Keyonte I'm a happy camper
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by eyriq » Tue May 30, 2023 12:48 am

fendilim wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/35866633/nba-draft-stat-based-projections-top-prospects-ncaa-tournament-elsewhere
Impressive to see Gradey so high
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#29 » by cedric76 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:27 am

So I guess they ll go after Gary Trent junior this summer
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 604

Post#30 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 30, 2023 12:39 pm

fendilim wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/35866633/nba-draft-stat-based-projections-top-prospects-ncaa-tournament-elsewhere

Paywall, can someone give more info for those of us that are....poor.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#31 » by fendilim » Tue May 30, 2023 12:40 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:

Try using vpn haha
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#32 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 30, 2023 12:41 pm

fendilim wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Try using vpn haha

Ahem....poor.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by eyriq » Tue May 30, 2023 12:59 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:

Wemby
Miller
Whitmore
Wallace
Gradey
Hendricks
George
Sensabaugh
Lively
Scoot
Walker
NSJ
Podziemski
Whitehead
Black
Jett
Clingan
Etc
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#34 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Wemby
Miller
Whitmore
Wallace
Gradey
Hendricks
George

Sensabaugh
Lively
Scoot
Walker
NSJ
Podziemski
Whitehead
Black
Jett
Clingan
Etc

This is the combination of players I think are in play for Orlando IMO.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#35 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 30, 2023 1:11 pm

Might be a good time to ask, what are "stat projections"

Todays contributors in the NBA by terms of rank?

Future contributions based on rank?

A mix?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by eyriq » Tue May 30, 2023 1:12 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Wemby
Miller
Whitmore
Wallace
Gradey
Hendricks
George

Sensabaugh
Lively
Scoot
Walker
NSJ
Podziemski
Whitehead
Black
Jett
Clingan
Etc

This is the combination of players I think are in play for Orlando IMO.

Yeah, I think you are on to something. Thompsons can't even be evaluated with warp, which may be too much risk for WeHam. Take two of those 4 and prosper.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#37 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:31 am

Anthony Black: Son of a pro player
Jett Howard: Son of a pro player and coach

Not so crazy after all!!!
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#38 » by p0peye » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:13 am

jezzerinho wrote:Anthony Black: Son of a pro player

jezzerinho
Starter

Post#39 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:31 am

p0peye wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:Anthony Black: Son of a pro player

You certainly get tested in here every day!!!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#40 » by Last Guardian » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:07 am

I would say they still highly value positional size and have become less strict about excessive wingspan and more inclined toward high IQ and feel for the game.

Return to Orlando Magic