ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,509

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0 

Post#1981 » by jezzerinho » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:54 pm

Folks, Paolo is our PG to all intents and purposes. The reason our offense hasnt flourished more with him initiating its that we dont punish teams when he draws gravity as initiator and passes out of it.

The games we win we mve the ball. The games we lose, the ball sticks and players dont read and relocate. Its that binary.

So what we need is a guard sized guy (ie mobility to guard other guards) with shooting, passing and some 3-level ability to be able to profit from PB and FWs gravity.

Theres a reason our lineups work pretty well when Harris plays in that he's the ideal archetype - albeit an old, crocked and inconsistent version.

A pure PG could work. You can be way more flexible with one. But hed have to be happy with moderate usage, be useful off-ball, be a good defender, be a 3-level scorer. The list ofnthose guys is v short and the list of contract-friendly guys is even shorter.

FVV was one.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1982 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:You were supposed to ask "what lottery pick?". And then I say, "oh wait, we already did that, do you know Anthony Black?". And then people realize we've already addressed the PG position and stop with the silly "we are ignoring the need" stuff since we obviously aren't.

Black looks a few years away from being a quality starting PG. Im not saying we need to draft one, but we are wasting time using subpar PG's or waiting years hoping a drafted player grows into a solid PG.

and you can look at the offense and see that it isnt addressed.

"Black looks a few years away"
Looks ready to me, now

"Wasting time using subpar PGs"
Fultz is a waste of time, Suggs isn't.

"Look at the offense and see it isn't addressed"
Franz and Paolo are the offensive engines and will be going forward. As they go offensively so goes the offense. For better or worse, our offense is built around 2 6'10 playmakers.

ehh, we have different views of the team. Tatum is in the running for MVP and they still brought in a PG to go along with White. i just think how much more efficient Paolo could be if he didnt have to act as the PG and had someone that could get him easier buckets. and to me, Black doesnt look ready now.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1983 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:02 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Folks, Paolo is our PG to all intents and purposes. The reason our offense hasnt flourished more with him initiating its that we dont punish teams when he draws gravity as initiator and passes out of it.

The games we win we mve the ball. The games we lose, the ball sticks and players dont read and relocate. Its that binary.

So what we need is a guard sized guy (ie mobility to guard other guards) with shooting, passing and some 3-level ability to be able to profit from PB and FWs gravity.

Theres a reason our lineups work pretty well when Harris plays in that he's the ideal archetype - albeit an old, crocked and inconsistent version.

A pure PG could work. You can be way more flexible with one. But hed have to be happy with moderate usage, be useful off-ball, be a good defender, be a 3-level scorer. The list of those guys is v short and the list of contract-friendly guys is even shorter.

FVV was one.

FVV was not a "contract friendly" guy. White from Chicago could be one, but i doubt they look to move him. Brogdon wouldnt be a bad idea with only 1 year remaining, but that guy just cannot stay healthy and is hurt again. there really isnt an attractive free agent. to fill that specific need, will require a trade
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1984 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Kennard would be half the price. We could re-sign Goga and possibly another mid level player.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

I’d rather have one REALLY GOOD player than a roster full of individual bargains. Kennard would be an improvement but, imo, barely move the team needle. We have an opportunity to do big things this summer to build upon the big things the team has done this season. Our finances, youthful core, and team progress created a uniquely positive situation that’s not to be wasted- unless ownership has a mandate not to spend more than is needed to sell just enough tickets and beer to make a little profit.

thats how i feel. find those great bargains after we get the final piece of the core. Paolo/Wagner/Suggs/???? no reason to search out a bargain contract yet

We're going to need to find those bargains to fill out our roster...but not yet. :nod: Getting close and we know Weltman's got his eye on the cap and his hand on the purse strings.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#1985 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:06 pm

tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Black looks a few years away from being a quality starting PG. Im not saying we need to draft one, but we are wasting time using subpar PG's or waiting years hoping a drafted player grows into a solid PG.

Looks ready to me, now

Franz and Paolo are the offensive engines and will be going forward. As they go offensively so goes the offense. For better or worse, our offense is built around 2 6'10 playmakers.

ehh, we have different views of the team. Tatum is in the running for MVP and they still brought in a PG to go along with White. i just think how much more efficient Paolo could be if he didnt have to act as the PG and had someone that could get him easier buckets. and to me, Black doesnt look ready now.
The Celtics traded a 1st-round pick and a young player for Brogdon. They traded Brogdon, Williams, and 2 first round picks for Jrue. They traded a couple of players, one 1st, and one pick swap from White.

We have to have more $10-20m contracts to make moves like that. We also have to have players who want to be here.

If we sign Kennard for $14m, Anchiuwa for $12m, Goga for $10m, Harris for $13m, and Ingles $11m. Then we'd have players and a bunch of picks to get players that are put on the market by teams that decide to tank.

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1986 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Looks ready to me, now

The Celtics traded a 1st-round pick and a young player for Brogdon. They traded Brogdon, Williams, and 2 first round picks for Jrue. They traded a couple of players, one 1st, and one pick swap from White.

We have to have more $10-20m contracts to make moves like that. We also have to have players who want to be here.

If we sign Kennard for $14m, Anchiuwa for $12m, Goga for $10m, Harris for $13m, and Ingles $11m. Then we'd have players and a bunch of picks to get players that are put on the market by teams that decide to tank.

More noise, I don't think people in the back can hear you.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#1987 » by zaymon » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:19 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:You were supposed to ask "what lottery pick?". And then I say, "oh wait, we already did that, do you know Anthony Black?". And then people realize we've already addressed the PG position and stop with the silly "we are ignoring the need" stuff since we obviously aren't.

Black looks a few years away from being a quality starting PG. Im not saying we need to draft one, but we are wasting time using subpar PG's or waiting years hoping a drafted player grows into a solid PG.

Looks ready to me, now

Its not about PG label, its about having ability to attack defenses from different angles. We have no guards who are good at pick and roll or at least driving to the rim and making decisions. Teams can switch Paolo/Franz/Franz becouse they have similar size and similar speed. It doesnt matter that much if Paolo has vision and passing skills of a PG if he cant take advantage of all mismatches and switching.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1988 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Man I feel like im taking crazy pills because I don’t see how Black is “ready now” to be a starting caliber player on a team trying to win 50+ games

It would be awesome if he took a big step forward this offseason to reach that level. If he doesn’t.. plenty of mins to be had backing up both guard spots behind a newly-acquired guard
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#1989 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 pm

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Looks ready to me, now

Goga isn't staying to play 4 MPG with the occasional 12-15 once a month.
Harris for anything over vet min would be a joke, AB can give you that exact stat line on a rookie deal.
Decline Ingles money, dude is a dinosaur.
Decline Isaac and lock him up with 2/10M deal or something smaller

Kennard + another combo guard & a more defensive wing would be a solid haul
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#1990 » by basketballRob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:29 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Man I feel like im taking crazy pills because I don’t see how Black is “ready now” to be a starting caliber player on a team trying to win 50+ games

It would be awesome if he took a big step forward this offseason to reach that level. If he doesn’t.. plenty of mins to be had backing up both guard spots behind a newly-acquired guard
He's started almost 50% of the games for a team that will win close to 50 this season.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#1991 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:Man I feel like im taking crazy pills because I don’t see how Black is “ready now” to be a starting caliber player on a team trying to win 50+ games

He's started almost 50% of the games for a team that will win close to 50 this season.

Bingo
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#1992 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:58 pm

basketballRob wrote:

Mario Chalmers started every game he played in both RS and playoffs for a team that won back to back rings. I didn’t consider him a starting caliber player though

I’d love to be wrong though! Hopefully AB balls out in this next stretch of games - great opportunity for him
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1993 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 pm

eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Bingo

he's playing less than 18 mpg and looks not ready at all. and his usage shows up if you look at his per36. yes, he is starting but they dont call on him to do much.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1994 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:34 pm

tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He's started almost 50% of the games for a team that will win close to 50 this season.

Bingo

he's playing less than 18 mpg and looks not ready at all. and his usage shows up if you look at his per36. yes, he is starting but they dont call on him to do much.
He's one of the best defenders in the league as a rookie. He's starting quality for that alone.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 661

Post#1995 » by RichCollab » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:46 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:Bingo

He's one of the best defenders in the league as a rookie. He's starting quality for that alone.

He makes great defensive plays but a lot of the time he isn’t that good and it’s ok because he is a rookie.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#1996 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm

eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:Bingo

One of the best defenders in the league feels like a stretch

There are plenty of guys with a better defensive EPM that aren’t starters.. most with better offensive EPM as well.. filter on DEF EPM and see:

https://dunksandthrees.com/epm

Maybe this next stretch of games boosts Black’s EPM?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1997 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:he's playing less than 18 mpg and looks not ready at all. and his usage shows up if you look at his per36. yes, he is starting but they dont call on him to do much.

There are plenty of guys with a better defensive EPM that aren’t starters.. most with better offensive EPM as well.. filter on DEF EPM and see:

If a rookie can give you starter level defense, actually above starter level. The defense is ranked 84th and there's 150 players starting. And if that player is the number six pick with upside through the roof, play the damn player. It's not that hard.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#1998 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:he's playing less than 18 mpg and looks not ready at all. and his usage shows up if you look at his per36. yes, he is starting but they dont call on him to do much.

Well.... using that table... on the def EPM (+1.1 and an 83 rating).... he's the first player under the age 20 on that list when rank. Thompson Twins are two years older and victor 1 year. So... hey... he's doing pretty well in my book!

SIDENOTE.... and no surprise.... JI led the entire league in that metric. +4.4 and a 100 rating. :-D
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#1999 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:15 pm

eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:He's one of the best defenders in the league as a rookie. He's starting quality for that alone.

If a rookie can give you starter level defense, actually above starter level. The defense is ranked 84th and there's 150 players starting. And if that player is the number six pick with upside through the roof, play the damn player. It's not that hard.

There are plenty of minutes to be had for non-starters.. especially when Suggs plays less than 30 mpg and Black can play both guard positions
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#2000 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:29 pm

RichCollab wrote:
eyriq wrote:

He makes great defensive plays but a lot of the time he isn’t that good and it’s ok because he is a rookie.

this i can agree.

Return to Orlando Magic