ImageImageImageImage

Yahoo: John Hammond a candidate for the Pistons President of Basketball Operations

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,898

Yahoo: John Hammond a candidate for the Pistons President of Basketball Operations 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Sun May 19, 2024 12:55 am

Four names have emerged as top candidates for the Detroit Pistons president of basketball operations position, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Trajan Langdon, Scott Perry, Dennis Lindsey and John Hammond have impressed in interviews and are front-runners to meet with Pistons owner Tom Gores, as the franchise hopes to fill the position before next month’s NBA Draft.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-candidates-emerge-for-detroit-pistons-president-of-basketball-operations-role-234201256.html

Turns out Hammond's decision to "step down" may have been bogus?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Re: Yahoo: John Hammond a candidate for the Pistons President of Basketball Operations 

Post#2 » by eyriq » Sun May 19, 2024 12:57 am

Was he responsible for all the crap picks we made and got squeezed out as a result?
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,533

Re: Yahoo: John Hammond a candidate for the Pistons President of Basketball Operations 

Post#3 » by Black and Blue » Sun May 19, 2024 1:08 am

If he gets the job, wonder if that helps our chances of trading for Ivey or Cade…
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Sun May 19, 2024 1:15 am

I figured that was coming. I think he's underrated.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#5 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:24 am

I’m so confused. Why is he interviewing? Isn’t he our President of BO?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,192

Post#6 » by yoyojw17 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:39 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I’m so confused. Why is he interviewing? Isn’t he our President of BO?

Advisor to President of BO I think
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#7 » by Knightro » Sun May 19, 2024 1:40 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I’m so confused. Why is he interviewing? Isn’t he our President of BO?

He's nothing for the Magic at this point. He was the general manager (2nd in command) under Jeff Weltman who is the President of Basketball Operations.

But he stepped down in July 2023 with Anthony Parker replacing him. He allegedly stayed on board as an "advisor", but who knows if that's true or not.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#8 » by Kent » Sun May 19, 2024 1:46 am

None of us will really know the situation, but I do think it's important to note that this would be an elevated role for Hammond from his GM days should he be hired.

So that counts for something.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 722

Post#9 » by Darth Magic » Sun May 19, 2024 2:25 am

This is big news. It tells me that Hammond and Weltman were not as close-knit as we thought. When he took the advisory role it was sold as if he was going to retire. This move says that he probably stepped down without making a stink.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 am

Knightro wrote:

He's nothing for the Magic at this point. He was the general manager (2nd in command) under Jeff Weltman who is the President of Basketball Operations.

But he stepped down in July 2023 with Anthony Parker replacing him. He allegedly stayed on board as an "advisor", but who knows if that's true or not.
He's still a senior advisor. I saw him standing in the hallway during game 7 in Cleveland.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#11 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

Knightro wrote:

I always thought he was the boss.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#12 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 4:06 am

Wait... isnt there a story that after Hammond leaves a franchise they win the chip? Like when he left MIL and he left TOR they both won it?

Or am i mixing it up wrongly?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#13 » by zaymon » Sun May 19, 2024 7:45 am

RookieStar wrote:Wait... isnt there a story that after Hammond leaves a franchise they win the chip? Like when he left MIL and he left TOR they both won it?

Mil won after he left and Tor won after Weltman left.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 am

zaymon wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wait... isnt there a story that after Hammond leaves a franchise they win the chip? Like when he left MIL and he left TOR they both won it?

So what you are saying is... we need to fire WeHam? Lol
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#15 » by zaymon » Sun May 19, 2024 8:54 am

RookieStar wrote:
zaymon wrote:

So what you are saying is... we need to fire WeHam? Lol

I think Raptors are managed much worse since Weltman left. I rate him higher than Ujiri right now. I also like the change from Hammond to Parker. We have old wolf and hungry pup.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#16 » by Knightro » Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I always thought he was the boss.

Negative.

Weltman is the boss and has been since he was hired.

Hammond was Weltman’s No. 2 for the last 5-6 years and now he just has a phony advisor job.

When Hammond was in charge in Milwaukee, the roles were reversed and Weltman worked under him.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#17 » by Knightro » Sun May 19, 2024 10:22 am

Darth Magic wrote:This is big news. It tells me that Hammond and Weltman were not as close-knit as we thought. When he took the advisory role it was sold as if he was going to retire. This move says that he probably stepped down without making a stink.

That is my read on it as well.

I’m guessing there was interest from other teams in poaching Anthony Parker, so they needed to free up the GM role to retain him.

So the best solution was for Hammond to “step down” and become an advisor, which was something they could easily sell because Hammond is about to turn 70 years old.
Fortune Teller
Junior
And1: 190

Post#18 » by Fortune Teller » Sun May 19, 2024 1:13 pm

Darth Magic wrote:This is big news. It tells me that Hammond and Weltman were not as close-knit as we thought. When he took the advisory role it was sold as if he was going to retire. This move says that he probably stepped down without making a stink.

I thought the same thing. It was definitely sold as him retiring. Maybe he ultimately got blamed for something — blowing $100 million+ on Isaac and Fultz over the course of several years, not being willing or able to add shooting to this team despite a 6-year runway, continuing to add defensive projects to the league’s worst offense.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#19 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 1:19 pm

Knightro wrote:

That is my read on it as well.

I’m guessing there was interest from other teams in poaching Anthony Parker, so they needed to free up the GM role to retain him.

So the best solution was for Hammond to “step down” and become an advisor, which was something they could easily sell because Hammond is about to turn 70 years old.

That tracks
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,686

Post#20 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:42 pm

I had no clue that Hammond got low key fired.
You would think that person at age of around 68 would finally retire, instad he is looking for new job?

Anyhow, PIstons need fresh approach to basketball, patient sustained mediocrity with 0 playoff series won in like 15 years as GM is not what they should seek.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic