ImageImageImageImage

Denton: Magic trade rumors

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

dieselpower
Senior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by dieselpower » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:58 pm

whocares wrote:2. ... but to be a remedy to nelson's antiques.

Nelson is only 25 :|
Go Magic!
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#22 » by CourtsideTV » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:29 pm

trade dooling bogans or garrity for someone
Work Hard
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#23 » by drsd » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:25 pm

Dooling is certainly a tradeable asset.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#24 » by MoGrAdY » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:32 pm

I would love to bring in MP.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,698

Post#25 » by CableKC » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:45 pm

dwightmeer wrote:MP is also expiring so unless its Keyon or Garrity for MP straight up, Im not interested.

Minor thing....but Pietrus said a couple of days ago in some interview that he wouldn't mind playing closer to the West Indies ( yes, a really wierd comment...but interesting when it comes to the Magic )

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50047/20080101/pietrus_wants_to_be_closer_to_the_islands/

Mickael Pietrus can't predict what his new year will hold, but he won't complain if it is not in Oakland.

"What would be best for me?" Pietrus repeated when asked about potential trade destinations. "Closer to the West Indies."

I'm not suggesting anything and completing pulling this out of "thin air"......but which 2 teams are the closest to the West Indies in the NBA? Miami and Orlando. If there is a way to secure him from playing in Orlando beyond this season....then he maybe worth looking into.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#26 » by whocares » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:10 pm

1. closer to west indies might also be a tongue in cheek response insinuating his desire to play elsewhere (out of the nba).
2. the dilemma for pietrus is that he is not as physically gifted as one needs to be successful in the nba and he is not as basketball smart as one needs to be successful in the euroleague.
3. rethinking about it, i can see his point: neither there nor here.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#27 » by Devin 1L » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:23 pm

*Waits for Scottie Pippen rumors to begin*

"Well... he's a big defensive minded guard, who has great handles and Championship experience."
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,698

Post#28 » by CableKC » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:51 am

whocares wrote:1. closer to west indies might also be a tongue in cheek response insinuating his desire to play elsewhere (out of the nba).
2. the dilemma for pietrus is that he is not as physically gifted as one needs to be successful in the nba and he is not as basketball smart as one needs to be successful in the euroleague.
3. rethinking about it, i can see his point: neither there nor here.

Although that is a possiblity......I took his comments to suggest that he wants to play for the Magic or the Heat ( one team which pursued him during the offseason....the other one having very good success as of late ).

Besides....every basketball player's goal is to make it to the NBA...not leave it.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#29 » by Rick Rolled » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:07 am

CableKC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Although that is a possiblity......I took his comments to suggest that he wants to play for the Magic or the Heat ( one team which pursued him during the offseason....the other one having very good success as of late ).

Besides....every basketball player's goal is to make it to the NBA...not leave it.

mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#30 » by mhectorgato » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:27 am

devin3807 wrote:*Waits for Scottie Pippen rumors to begin*

"Well... he's a big defensive minded guard, who has great handles and Championship experience."

He did just score 9 points in Finland. :nod:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... n_finland/
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magictreat
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by magictreat » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:36 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:1080 blows anyway for the most part.
740 was a Godsend and had a lot of great out of state programming that I'm missing out on now.
there you go Adam with this link you'll have access to sport programing 24/7 including JT THE Brick show at night: http://msn.foxsports.com/

Just scroll down the page and hit the small yellow link to fox sports And this link for Jim Rome for free from a radio station in Utah, of all places:

http://radiotime.com/program/p_35518/Th ... _Show.aspx
The Letter J
Starter

Post#32 » by The Letter J » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:22 am

We should package Ariza, and Dooling/Redick to land a decent PF....

...wait, nvm. :-?
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#33 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:30 am

I'd actually rather have PLAYED Trevor at power forward than trade him for a Brian Cook, who apparently never is going to play for the Magic.

I'm hoping that Denton is wrong about this. This might just be a case when he is putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. There was a story in the Contra Costa Times (which is published in California) last week that said that Golden State needs a point guard to back up Baron Davis because of concerns about possible injury and because Davis is logging so many minutes. The story said that Arroyo is on the top of the Warriors' target list for point guards. Maybe that's why Keyon played like a chicken with its head cut off against Houston.

When you add that to the fact that Trevor's minutes fluctuated right before he was traded, I can see why he might say that, but it sounds like speculation to me. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but reporters always start looking to stir it up, especially when a team is struggling. And Stan might very well just be looking to mix it up to try to get the team off to better starts in games because for most of the past month, they have been getting really slow starts. You going to sit Howard or Turkoglu to try to get them off to better starts? Of course not, so you mess with the backcourt.

I need someone to explain to me the infatuation some of you (and possibly the Magic and Miami Heat) have with Mickael Pietrus. The guy's career averages are 8.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. He's got nice size and is reputed to be a good defender. But his numbers are down this season, and he always has had a low scoring average on a team that always has put up big scores -- and a team that has been pretty bad most of the time that he has been on it. I'm not saying that's his fault. But would he make a difference compared with guys already on the Magic roster? Bogans already has better numbers than that this season.

The Magic already have added Adonal Foyle from Golden State, and he has been helpful (though they also could use a power forward that sucks up rebounds and is powerful as well as athletic). But I'm hoping that Otis isn't just turning to those guys because he is familiar with them from when he worked for the Warriors.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#34 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:34 pm

Scary thought^^^^^^^^^
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#35 » by magicmamma » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:39 pm

Have any of Denton's reports of possible trades happened? I can't think of one. I think he does get the information from the Magic, but I wonder if they aren't planting misinformation for PR reasons or perhaps to put some urgency into whoever Otis is actually talking to. Denton told us about what he said the Nets wanted for Carter. He told us about what he said Seattle wanted in a sign and trade. Did he give us a hint that Ariza was on the market?
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#36 » by spinedoc » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:06 pm

Pietrus would be a good fit for this team, simply because we need defense on the perimeter. Its one of the things that is killing us in games. That, and lack of a rebounding, shotblocking pf, but our biggest need is to fill that hole we have at the 2 first. Our backcourt defense is very bad at the moment. Jameer and Arroyo can't stop the ball and seem to get mis-matched often. They do bring offense however, and the ability to score, but their defense is lacking. Then you add that to the fact that our mediocre quad at sg can't step up and fill that void. Dooling has the most capability of the four, but he's reckless on the other end and turns the ball over too much. Bogans is average at best, Evans commits too many fouls, and JJ is no match against most sg's.

Now because of this, when the penetration occurs, it forces our forwards to come help on defense, which isn't their strength. Its then putting way too much pressure on Howard and our interior defense. Therefore it gives the appearance that our biggest need is on the frontcourt, but its really because of the deficiencies of the backcourt. Eventually I would like to see us get a starting caliber pf of the future and move Hedo to the bench, but clearly thats tough to do at the moment for Stan and his offensive mindset. We need to stop the penetration first, then we will have a clearer picture of what we need to fix next. A decent defender on the perimeter would help cure a lot of our other ailments. Plus we have Auggie looking good lately when given minutes, Gortat who is still a question mark, and Battie available next year. PF is a need, but not as serious as our woes at sg. Dooling and a second rounder or two should be enough to get it done in the end. Hopefully Otis holds firm if they indeed want Arroyo instead, if our speculations are correct here.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#37 » by aleZ » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:55 pm

whocares wrote:the dilemma for pietrus is that he is not as physically gifted as one needs to be successful in the nba and he is not as basketball smart as one needs to be successful in the euroleague.

0. not physically gifted? Athleticism's still his greatest asset, when he wants to use it. As for basketball IQ, he just needs to handle the ball better and refrain from ticky-tack fouls.

For anything else read Spine's post, pretty much sums it up for me.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#38 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:08 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:I'd actually rather have PLAYED Trevor at power forward than trade him for a Brian Cook, who apparently never is going to play for the Magic.

yeah, i was always suprised that he never tinkered with that lineup. Trevor never really got a chance, and i think that on this team, as an undersized PF he still would've done a lot more for the team than any of the jump shooters we've currently got out there. i really want to know two things: 1) what Trevor did to get in the dog house. 2) why SVG hasn't tried to add a little more dynamic to the lineup than just Dwight and the 3pt shooters.

haha, OT but that'd make an awesome band name.

lovehoops01 wrote: I need someone to explain to me the infatuation some of you (and possibly the Magic and Miami Heat) have with Mickael Pietrus. The guy's career averages are 8.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. He's got nice size and is reputed to be a good defender. But his numbers are down this season, and he always has had a low scoring average on a team that always has put up big scores -- and a team that has been pretty bad most of the time that he has been on it. I'm not saying that's his fault. But would he make a difference compared with guys already on the Magic roster? Bogans already has better numbers than that this season.

you're a fan of Ariza, who's had a similar performance to Pietrus, and you can't see the fascination? Pietrus gives us everything Bogans does, PLUS more athleticism and a knack for attacking the basket. sure, the guy has plenty of holes in his game, but i think consistent minutes and a bigger role would help iron those out. (i could be wrong though.... there's got to be a reason he's dropped in GSW's favourites list).

lovehoops01 wrote:The Magic already have added Adonal Foyle from Golden State, and he has been helpful (though they also could use a power forward that sucks up rebounds and is powerful as well as athletic). But I'm hoping that Otis isn't just turning to those guys because he is familiar with them from when he worked for the Warriors.

oh, definitely. Otis and Dave both. and what's sad is that they were Warriors players who were part of the losing warriors before Nellie took over, and that they made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the Warrior's success.

Return to Orlando Magic