ImageImageImageImage

OT: Joe Gibbs resigns.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

OT: Joe Gibbs resigns. 

Post#1 » by Dunkin On Ya » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:14 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7648730?MSNHPHMA

Even though I am a HUGE Cowboys fan and we generally hate the Redskins, I will miss Coach Gibbs.

He was a great coach and a good man.

Enjoy retirement Coach Gibbs.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#2 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:18 pm

Cant say im surprised after what happend thru the season, that was tough. He prob wont coach again but he still has his nascar team that he can run and stay busy with.
aka: prorl
Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Dunkin On Ya » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:21 pm

prorl wrote:Cant say im surprised after what happend thru the season, that was tough. He prob wont coach again but he still has his nascar team that he can run and stay busy with.

Definitely a tough season for him and the Washington Redskins. I also read that one of his grandchildren has been diagnosed with leukemia. He didn't have any day after meetings which is typical when the season ends, he just went to North Carolina.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#4 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:54 pm

We had just about the toughest season any team has ever had. The win streak towards the end showed how tough this team is, though, because most others teams would have just given up and collapsed. Unfortunately, emotion will only take you so far, so when we ran into the Seahawks, we just got outplayed.

We'll always love you, J-Gib. DC will miss you.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Max Power » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:29 pm

Gibbs did an admirable job getting the Redskins back to respectability. Rehiring Gibbs was the smartest thing that Jerry Jones wannabe owner ever did. My guess is he'll try to hire Bobby Petrino to coach.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#6 » by laVal03 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:09 pm

great coach and even better person, as much as I don't care for the Redskins, I wouldn't had minded seeing him go out a winner
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#7 » by craig01 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:05 pm

As a lifelong Skins fan, I have mixed emotions.

First, the job he took was too big to handle as it was designed (VP of Football Operations, GM, and Head Coach). I don't think he accomplished very much at any of them during his return.

I think he'd have been much more successful had the Skins hired a legitimate GM, and Gibbs would have just coached. As it panned out, his performance overall was just so so.

I do think that Gibbs got some vindication through the strong finish the Redskins had.

There were coaching mishaps, poor drafts, uneven FA signings, uninspiring offensive showings, but still, it was JOE GIBBS at the helm which always gave Skins fans hope.

I think the bottom line for announcing his retirement now is the health of his wife and grandson though I doubt Gibbs would ever let the public know.

I hope and pray that all turns out well for the Gibbs family. Joe will be missed on the sideline.

Thank you Coach Gibbs, from just one of the faithful.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to Orlando Magic