ImageImageImageImage

Would you guys agree we are subpar at PF/SG/PG?

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Would you guys agree we are subpar at PF/SG/PG? 

Post#1 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:24 pm

And if you agree, my next question is how the hell can we ever be a contender where at 3 of 5 positions we either don't get enough from, or don't match others well with?

I hate to say it but I think our only viable option to upgrade one or two of those positions is to trade Hedo. He's having a great year but Shard cannot handle PF every single night.

IMO we have to bite the bullet and keep Nelson at PG, Ok I can live with that if we are good at PF and SG so my ideas..

Hedo and Arroyo to GS For Harrington, Ellis and a filler(maybe like Matt Barnes?) and maybe we throw in a pick

Ellis makes us much better at SG, Harrington brings us some attitude he'll grab 7 or so boards in the east and give us 15-20 points.

Hedo to Cleveland for Gooden and a pick

Gooden is a rebounding machine, good game from 12 to 15 and in. I know alot of you won't like this and I'm iffy about it too but the aggregate affect should be better(Shard more productive,better rebounding and D inside)

Hedo, Arroyo, Garrity, JJ, first rounder to Sac for Artest and Bibby. Artest can play PF easily in the east, Bibby is risky but if he's his normal self we are alot better at PG, Jameer can be our Jason Terry and come in off the bench just trying to score.

Sac gets two expirings, a prospect and a first as well as a good SF to replace Artest.

Or a less risque route, make a play for Kurt Thomas and Wally Szcerbiak..
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
PimpORL
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#2 » by PimpORL » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:36 pm

I completely agree we should trade Hedo. Hedo is not as his stats and we should trade him while we still can. At the beginning of the season when Rashard was our man for perimeter scoring, we were winning, and he was playing much better. I think if we get a real PF a good SG we'll be up with Boston and Detroit again.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 66

Post#3 » by damo[23] » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm

For me; and I told Howard Mass this in the offseason, these are what I'd like to see for the team, and I've stood by this, except now its with Lewis rather than Hedo [which in fairness would make it a better team which is what we are aiming for].

I think the PG would be fine if we had;

A Raja Bell type SG. I'd like to think of Bogans as the poor mans poor man Bell, can hit the 3 and can kind of defend [though of late thats been questionable]. Mo is looking more comfortable in that roll.

I really dont know who we could get though.

For the PF spot a Lee or Haslem type player. That would compliment Dwight. Can rebound / defend to a great degree, but can chime in with 10 points, and if ignored .. more.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 66

Post#4 » by damo[23] » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 pm

We do need a punch off the bench though, someone who can come in and threaten a "big" game if he gets hot. Jameer could do that, if we got a PG instead of a SG.

I still think that if we could get a good starting PF that will go a long way in itself.
marcin061786
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#5 » by marcin061786 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:44 pm

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the Haslem or Lee idea
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#6 » by magicman123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm

i dont think lewis is our long term solution at pf..atleast i hope he isnt...we dont get much defense or rebounding out of that position. i agree that hedo is a very tradable asset and with some expirings we could be looking at something.....but i just dont see otis making a big move...most of all, are backcourt is subpar and we need to adress that..we can live with lewis at pf the rest of the year, but if we make the playoffs our backcourt wont hold their weight...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,203

Post#7 » by drsd » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 pm

PG: No
SG: A but, leans towards yes.
PF: Yes
Fooberman
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Fooberman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Anyone would like the idea of Haslem or Lee on their team, which is why they won't be traded to Orlando. The Magic simply don't have the assets.

Orlando trying to make a trade to upgrade at the 1,2, or 4 is made harder by having already given away an asset (Ariza) for crap. That leaves Hedo, allegedly Redick, and expiring deals as the team's only trading assets (since Dwight is not available).

Marko Jaric might be available cheap enough for the Magic to afford him (in terms of trade value) and good enough to be useful (an unfortunately, for Orlando, narrow window). AK-47 would be a good fit, I think at PF for Orlando. With Dwight manning the paint, an smaller, more athletic 4 could work well. Plus, if Utah needs a 3, maybe they'd rather have a true one in Hedo...
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 936

Post#9 » by mattyBoi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:38 pm

If we could somehow pull off the ellis/harrington deal or the bibby/artest deal i would be ecstatic.

The warriors deal tho is unlikely since they will be heading to the playoffs and ellis and harrington are both key pieces to that team.

I believe the kings deal could happen though. Maybe at the trade deadline when they know that the playoffs are out of the question. They have a nice young pg in Udrih and have been trying to unload artest for a while now. Plus those expirings make them major players this summer. I really like the deal for both teams. The team for next season.

Bibby/Nelson
Maggette?/Bogans/Evans
Lewis/Cook
Artest/Fran/Augustine
Howard/Battie/Foyle

We would dominate.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#10 » by NetsForce » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:49 pm

The two areas where I think the Magic really need to upgrade are PG and PF, there's enough talent between $hard and Howard to offset weak / inconsistent scoring from the SG spot but the Magic need a PG that can run an offense and NOT get abused on defense, as for their PF needs... Just get anyone put Shard or Hedo to play that spot, preferably someone who can rebound. In spurs playing Shard or Hedo at the four makes sense, if you want to give the other team a different look or something but for an entire game? It's just not going to work...
whocares
Senior

Post#11 » by whocares » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:35 pm

1. what the magic really need is an upgrade at the fan position.
2. the sig of netsforce is hilarious.
3. how many games did the magic lose because they are weak the pf position?
4. and how many games were lost by the opposing backcourt completely dominating that of the magic?
5. leave the frontcourt as it is.
6. and how for the sake of rationality can anyone still say that trading away ariza for evans (and cook) was very bad?
7. evans is getting time and looking more and more comfortable with his game, so much so that he has recently been starting.
The Letter J
Starter

Post#12 » by The Letter J » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:44 pm

whocares wrote:1. what the magic really need is an upgrade at the fan position.
2. the sig of netsforce is hilarious.
3. how many games did the magic lost because they are weak the pf position?
4. and how many games were lost by the opposing backcourt completely dominating that of the magic?
5. leave the frontcourt as it is.
6. and how for the sake of rationality can anyone still say that trading away ariza for evans (and cook) was very bad?
7. evans is getting time and looking more and more comfortable with his game, so much so that he has recently been starting.

A lot. Other teams are still going to get penetration on us as well as open jumpers if we get a new PG. The difference in having a real PF would mean no more lay-up drills ran on us (especially when Dwight is on the bench) and more rebounding support on missed shots.

We need a real PG, but we need a real PF first because we don't even have ONE decent PF on our roster.
whocares
Senior

Post#13 » by whocares » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:50 pm

1. what that means is that the backcourt sucks at defense.
2. it is fate and nothing, absolutely nothing, can be done about it.
3. so to offset the defensive lapses, the frontcourt has to be upgraded.
4. because there is no such thing as guards playing on their defensive assignments for most of the time.
5. ok.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#14 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 pm

The Letter J wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We need a real PG, but we need a real PF first because we don't even have ONE decent PF on our roster.

The Magic need a lot.

A legitimate 2G or a decent PF would stop some of the leakage.

Getting one or the other still doesn't fix the problem.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#15 » by TooNice00 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:29 pm

this team misses battie. imagine when howard goes for those blocked shots he has tony there to grab the rebounds. when guards school our crappy guards we not only have howard but tony battie to help out. tony wouldn't solve all our problems but he would help a lot.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#16 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Battie would help some if used as a reserve.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,888

Post#17 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Orlando Trade Breakdown

Change in Team Outlook: -10.2 ppg, +5.2 rpg, and -0.8 apg.

Incoming Players

JamesOn Curry
6-3 PG from Oklahoma State
No games yet played in 2007/08

Chris Duhon
6-1 PG from Duke
5.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.7 apg in 22.7 minutes

Ben Wallace
6-9 C from Virginia Union
4.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 33.1 minutes

Outgoing Players

J.J. Redick
6-5 SG from Duke
3.4 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 8.9 minutes

Keyon Dooling
6-3 PG from Missouri
8.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.8 apg in 18.9 minutes

Pat Garrity
6-9 PF from Notre Dame
2.3 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.5 minutes

Carlos Arroyo
6-2 PG from Florida International
6.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.7 apg in 18.8 minutes

Tony Battie
6-11 PF / C from Texas Tech

Chicago Trade Breakdown

Change in Team Outlook: +10.2 ppg, -5.2 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

Incoming Players

J.J. Redick
6-5 SG from Duke
3.4 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 8.9 minutes

Keyon Dooling
6-3 PG from Missouri
8.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.8 apg in 18.9 minutes

Pat Garrity
6-9 PF from Notre Dame
2.3 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.5 minutes

Carlos Arroyo
6-2 PG from Florida International
6.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.7 apg in 18.8 minutes

Tony Battie
6-11 PF / C from Texas Tech

Outgoing Players

JamesOn Curry
6-3 PG from Oklahoma State

Chris Duhon
6-1 PG from Duke
5.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.7 apg in 22.7 minutes

Ben Wallace
6-9 C from Virginia Union
4.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 33.1 minutes
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#18 » by TNMagicFan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:12 pm

^ I don't see how that helps either team that much .
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#19 » by TooNice00 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:16 pm

id do that trade in a heart beat. i know ben wallace has a big contract but still can you imagine having howard and wallace in the paint. this makes it so that when howard comes out our interior defense doesn't crumble. this trade would pretty much correct all our defensive problems and make us one of the best defensive teams in the nba.

jameer/ duhon
bogans/ evans
rashard/ hedo
wallace/ hedo
howard/ foyle

and people might complain it would clog the paint with howard on offense but u can still put hedo and rashard at the sf and pf spots from time to time to give him some room. i am sure treams would try to run small ball lineups to get ben wallace and howard out of the paint and we can just adjust by putting rashard back at pf.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#20 » by TooNice00 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm

d12fan wrote:^ I don't see how that helps either team that much .

it helps our defense. and chicago says bye bye to ben wallace and his contract. maybe with that money gone they could make a run for a low post scorer like elton brand or maybe jermaine oneal i dunno. but it does give us a another huge contract, and probably the two most overpaid players in the nba rashard and wallace, but i think howard and wallace together would be a defensive nighmare for the opposing team. and our biggest problem is defense and we get two great defensive players in duhon and wallace.

Return to Orlando Magic