ImageImageImageImage

My biggest fear with the team is.......

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

magictreat
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

My biggest fear with the team is....... 

Post#1 » by magictreat » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:26 pm

That 5 years down the road, we would have to be talking here about the PG problem, it won't be fixed, because Otis sttuborness after signing Jameer to that extension, and we will be stuck with the guy.

Last night's game specially the last three minutes, is a prime example of the big flaw at the PG position, Jameer took three shots in a row(all missed), Never attempting to give the ball to Dwight, plus allowing Carter to look like Iverson, man his defense SUCKS!!! :pray:
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#2 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:28 pm

A change will eventually be made...there is just no easy fix right now.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#3 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Nelson is the best option at PG right now.

It's a tough break..........
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,888

Post#4 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 pm

In retrospect it was a terrible decision to lock Jameer up long term.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#5 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Cammo101 wrote:In retrospect it was a terrible decision to lock Jameer up long term.

How so? Wouldn't he then be a RFA this offseason? Meaning after this season we would lose Arroyo, Nelson, and Dooling. For some strange reason I don't see that as a good thing....losing every capable PG on the team and having no cap room.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 107

Post#6 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 pm

craig01 wrote:Nelson is the best option at PG right now.

It's a tough break..........

i dont know for me i feel the team is ran better when arroyo is handling the point. dont get me wrong, jameer is an excellent scorer, but IMO scoring PGs are better utilized off the bench. and in this case, our scoring really isnt a problem.

when carlos plays, the offense is more revolved around throwing the ball into dwight, pick and rolls, penetration and kick outs to open men. even for arroyo haters, we can all agree his is the better distributer. and the better ballhandler as well (1 TO per game).

i'm just sick of watching jameer make horrible passes into the paint which always get intercepted by opposing players that lead to fast break points for them. jameer also has a very hard time giving post entry passes, and thats why when he is in the game its always our smallfowards who enter the ball into dwight. thats not really his fault tho, its just becuase he's so short he cant pass over the defender with ease.

to me, carlos has definitely impoved on cutting down his absurd shots from last season, and has improved in shot selection and distribution. when he does shoot the jumper, he is more than often wide open. and i love how he attacks the basket always looking for the foul, it shows how much he can take his man off the dribble. but that doesnt mean he is looking for his own shot, becuase more than often if he penetrates he just loves to throw it up for dwight to throw it down.

i understand carlos isnt our long-term solution to our point gaurd situation, but he definitely outwieghs jameer when it comes to running this ballclub and the offense clearly seems a lot better when he is in the ball game.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#7 » by TooNice00 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:58 pm

nelson is annoying sometimes but the situation is easily fixed. just pick someone up who is a defensive point guard, and duhon is avaliable this summer. jameer and duhon wouldn't be a bad point guard combo. beno udrih is also out there too. the magic really need to do something with our expirings though. because who is gonna back up or preferbly start over bogans next year? and who is gonna be our other big man even after tony battie comes back?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,888

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How so? Wouldn't he then be a RFA this offseason? Meaning after this season we would lose Arroyo, Nelson, and Dooling. For some strange reason I don't see that as a good thing....losing every capable PG on the team and having no cap room.

If he continues to struggle we would spend much less to resign him, and with that be much less inclined to keep him as the starter.
Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Happyfoosball » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I want to throw this out. Nelson can serve as 2 functions for this team. He can be a pg yes, but I believe based on his second season that he can be a great sixth man who comes off the bench just to score points. After 4 years the best i've ever seen him was when he was coming off the bench with a blank check to gun it up as much as he wanted. If the Magic did that, they could get another pg and still have a space for Nelson on the team.
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
DiplomaticMagic
General Manager
And1: 2,647

Post#10 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:51 pm

Only one way to do that..Fire Otis!!
Extend Suggs ASAP!!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#11 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Arroyo tends to force things too.

Arroyo has been decent recently, and I agree that when he plays well, he tends to run the offense better. It's really a matter of how often does he play well though.

Neither guy is the answer, both will get the nod over each other at various times and for various reasons. But I think that when Nelson is successfully aggressive, the Magic are harder to defend.

It'll go back and forth between them the rest of the year.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,202

Post#12 » by drsd » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

My biggest fear: a news story about Howard's ACL/MCL.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#13 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If he continues to struggle we would spend much less to resign him, and with that be much less inclined to keep him as the starter.

IMO, we extended him for a less amount than we would have been able to get him if we let him go in to RFA. There would be a team out there to offer atleast what we gave him
sipe75
Sophomore

Post#14 » by sipe75 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 pm

My biggest fear: in five years we will be desperately waiting until the season ends in order to have Lewis' contract expire so that we can sign another free agent to finally help Dwight make it deep into the playoffs and win a title.

2nd biggest fear: We sign Kyle Korver for the max deal the next year so we can surround Dwight with shooters.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 448

Post#15 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Happyfoosball wrote:I want to throw this out. Nelson can serve as 2 functions for this team. He can be a pg yes, but I believe based on his second season that he can be a great sixth man who comes off the bench just to score points. After 4 years the best i've ever seen him was when he was coming off the bench with a blank check to gun it up as much as he wanted. If the Magic did that, they could get another pg and still have a space for Nelson on the team.

to an extent i agree. just look at jason terry is dallas, and ben gordon in chicago. both played starting roles for a while than were reduced to the bench. both players stats have gone up.
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#16 » by grayson11 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 am

drsd wrote:My biggest fear: a news story about Howard's ACL/MCL.

If the injury lasted strictly for a season, that could be a blessing depending on when it happens. Robinson going down for a season led to the tanking for then drafting of TD in '97. Just my stubborn optimism talking. :roll:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,202

Post#17 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:59 am

grayson11 wrote:f the injury lasted strictly for a season, that could be a blessing depending on when it happens. Robinson going down for a season led to the tanking for then drafting of TD in '97. Just my stubborn optimism talking. :roll:

Robinson had back and foot problems. He did not tear up his knee.

To illustrate my fears, let's go see a clip that makes Clipper's fans cry:
SL video
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#18 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:03 am

I really wish people wouldn't mention any injuries at all. The Magic have have had more than their share of injury problems over the years between Penny and Grant (and this season, losing Tony Battie for the year).

And I cannot believe you made this post the day after Carlos jacked up four shots in five possessions after dribblethons without even looking at one of his teammates when he saw that Stan was going to sub in Jameer for him. As a whole, I think Carlos tries hard, but that was the worst example of trying to get his before he got taken out of the game that I ever have seen. And things weren't going so well before that, which was why Stan was going to sub in Jameer, who had been playing well before he was taken out of the game in the third quarter but admittedly did not finish well.

Return to Orlando Magic