ImageImageImageImage

Orlando is completely falling apart

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Orlando is completely falling apart 

Post#1 » by Happyfoosball » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:46 am

now 7 games over .500 How long until they dip under .500?
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#2 » by theTHIEF » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:48 am

*has fallen...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Post#3 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:55 am

The Magic just capped a four game road trip with two winnable games going into it. They won won and played close in the other three.

The next games answer your question as the Magic ned a sweep of home games against lower-tier Eastern teams.

Chicago and Charlotte both need to be wins.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#4 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:52 am

Actually, I think the Bobcats game is in Charlotte. They come home and play Chicago and then go back out on the road and play Charlotte, which is playing well right now by the way. And then they come home and play Portland and Detroit. And then they go on the road to play Memphis and Detroit. And then they play Boston and Miami at home. And then they go back out on the road for a couple games to start February. It just doesn't seem it is possible that they actually are going to be able to squeeze in 41 home games. The season is two-thirds over before they get any to speak of.

I don't think the schedule-makers helped the Magic on this last trip. They played 4 games in 5 nights and had to travel, and at least three of their opponents on the trip had three days off before they played the Magic.

But the Magic cannot afford to look at things like this because they haven't been taking advantage of the games they have had on their home court.

Does anyone think that there are any players on the roster who would play bad on purpose so that the team would not be capable of finding a trade for them? I'd say it's a long shot, but it just seems weird that the team performs so poorly every season from mid-December through the trade deadline and then starts to play better again (at least has the past few seasons) once the trade deadline has passed.
pikimagic
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#5 » by pikimagic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:09 am

how many more road games we have??? I think we have played more road games than any other team ......but dont worry I feel a 8 game winning streak book it
Chorro e' locos!
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,335

Post#6 » by MagicMadness » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 am

The Magic are not falling apart. They just aren't as good (at least right now) as they're 16-4 record to start the season suggested.

They have been losing some close games lately, but they remain competitive and should, in theory, be able to string up some wins now that the west coast trip is over - even though you can never predict anything with this team, especially at home this season.

The bottom line is that they still lead their division, even as we reach the halfway mark. That's got to be good for something. Sure, the competition in our division isn't too high, but the Magic have not led their division this late in a season since...probably the '90s, I'm guessing. For a team that didn't even play .500 ball last year, it's pretty damn impressive.

Now, does the team have some problems? Yes. But so do the majority of teams in the league. The Magic have a good foundation to build upon, especially when you have one of the best, young, big men in the game.
whocares
Senior

Post#7 » by whocares » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 am

1. orlando is definitely not falling apart.
2. they are going through a stretch where luck is not on their side.
3. it was bound to happen; it is happening.
4. this team is different from last season's team.
5. they are not losing because they do not know how to win.
6. after the all-star break, the magic will go on a nice run and enter the post-season feeling very strong.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Post#8 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:04 pm

pikimagic wrote:how many more road games we have??? I think we have played more road games than any other team ......but dont worry I feel a 8 game winning streak book it

I read somewhere that the Magic do not have another West coast game after Jan. 21. And, the Magic will be home-dominated at the seasons end. These are both favorable points. (... after the Magic start wining 60%+ at home that is!)
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Lets see.....15 home games, 24 road games, a trip to China during the exhibition season, 2 west coast trips....and all by early january.

Falling apart? Nah......

Out of sync? Yeah....

Why? See above.....
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#10 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:48 pm

We are an average team and who cares about our home games...we suck at home.

We constantly lose to other second tier contenders, especially from the west(and the real contenders BTW)

We never slaughter bad teams like really good ones do, almost all the games are close.

this happens every year, and quite honestly we need to hire some high end basketball people.

we have too many holes, we need to address ATLEAST one of SG/PF to even be taken seriously in the playoffs..
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Gotta love the pessimistic nature of this board. Where did most experts have us in the East? somewhere between 7-11 wasn't it? We're 3rd!!! Calm down, lets remember Denver has Iverson and Anthony, and Utah was a conference final participant last season. This team will end up better than last year. Mark it!!! You can't go from 40 wins to a ring in a year. It's a building process.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#12 » by Potterman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Max Power wrote:Gotta love the pessimistic nature of this board. Where did most experts have us in the East? somewhere between 7-11 wasn't it? We're 3rd!!! Calm down, lets remember Denver has Iverson and Anthony, and Utah was a conference final participant last season. This team will end up better than last year. Mark it!!! You can't go from 40 wins to a ring in a year. It's a building process.

Boston Celtics?
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
maginno
Banned User

Post#13 » by maginno » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm

Well as one of the biggest critics of this team's make up based on moves this offseason I will say this. You are all overreacting a bit. The team is not falling apart. A couple more losses are in order. Stan is at his best when correcting a faltering team. The quick start hasn't made him use those skills. It made him buy into a view of this team that wasn't real. Now the real work, assesments and adjustments can begin.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#14 » by Shishnizzle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I thought the Magic played hard on this last trip. I was impressed with the effort agianst Utah. I think they are being disrespected by the officials, and by fans that get upset by loosing. I liked that Jameer is working the mid range game. I have not seen the Magic get the level of favoritism at home that Utah had last night in thier building.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,212

Post#15 » by magik9113 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:52 pm

Yea we didn't suck besides against the Kings, and I think we'll win the next two.

Then we have Portland, Detroit twice and Boston (Memphis is somewhere in there too)............
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#16 » by flyingvee » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Max Power wrote: This team will end up better than last year. Mark it!!! You can't go from 40 wins to a ring in a year. It's a building process.

Maybe a couple of wins better. I say come April they'll be fighting for one of the last playoff spots. Then again I never felt this team could contend from the get go with all the holes we had. The fast start again had people prematurely talking championship.

Boston is a great example of a team going from cellar to championship capable. Difference is Ainge had the balls to make some great trades, while Otis is content to say he's happy with our pieces. Anyone who says he's happy about a team that lacks a starting PG, SG and PF is delirious.

Also rebuilding? Yea, this team has been rebuilding since we got T-Mac 9 years ago. I guess no one will see how dire the situation is until Dwight decides he's sick of losing and bad trades/non-trades and Otis trades him for 3 other scrubs that we'll let walk. And then we'll really be back to rebuilding. The signing of Lewis was a 7-year curse. Now have to wait for this to come off the books just like we were waiting for Hills contract to expire. I don't care that he was the best FA available, the whole field stunk. It's like buying the best new car you can find, but stopping at the Kia dealer and buying the best available Kia. Lewis is a one dimensional player who can't even do the one thing he did well.

Don't care how good SVG is. It is so ironic that Doc Rivers might win a championship with the Celtics.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,213

Post#17 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 pm

rurouniad wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Boston Celtics?

Hasn't happened yet though rurouniad, I have yet to drink that cool aid.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#18 » by flyingvee » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Interesting how so many feel this years team is so much better than last year. I say ok, having SVG as coach is a plus, but look at this roster. We have glaring holes at PG, SG and PF. At least last year we had Battie/Darko at PF which is better than anything we have last year and at SG we had Hill, though out of position was way better than we we have this year. So last year our hole was more so at PG. This year we have 3 holes and we're so much better?

By the way, since the Ariza trade that brought us the missing pieces we are 13-14.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#19 » by MagicNolesFSU » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:56 pm

yeah maybe if we didnt trade the kat the never played we would be 27-0!!!

maybe not
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#20 » by magicman123 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 pm

What you gonna do when sh*t hits the fan
Are you gonna stand and fight like a man?
Will you be as hard as you say you are?
Or you gonna run and go get your bodyguard?

sorry this topic reminded me of the song

Return to Orlando Magic