ImageImageImageImage

O-Sen: Don't expect any moves before deadline

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,452

Post#21 » by Bensational » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:09 pm

drsd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Or the Magic can use their expirings to nab other FAs.

how so? you mean in a S&T?
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#22 » by MagicalMan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:53 pm

This is what I expected. Does Otis not realize that bringing in another player can have a positive impact on chemistry and confidence? That it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative aspect of making a trade. I think he is being too patient. While I understand this to a degree (with Battie and possibly Fran next year or the year after, added to Dwight, Cook, Foyle, Gortat, Auggie?) we will have a logjam of borderline players. Adding another big to the mix may just make it more difficult, unless it was a one year deal. Which in Webber's case I think he's looking for two.
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 894

Post#23 » by mattyBoi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:06 pm

OMG typical otis bull$hitt...Can we please get this guy out of here, seriously its already old.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#24 » by cedric76 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 pm

mattyBoi wrote:OMG typical otis bull$hitt...Can we please get this guy out of here, seriously its already old.

why? he si a good GM

who do u want?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#25 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 pm

cedric76 wrote:fair enough ,why make a trade for the sake of making a trade

Where are my A-Leaguers for this one?

Bensational wrote:^^ why not? i don't think it'd really hurt anything if he said "yeah, we've got a couple of holes to fill. if something comes up that we like then we'll think about it, but no players need to be worried at this point".

that's not too forward, and it gives the impression to fans that he's looking to try to right the ship - even if he does stand pat.

Sorry, but I just think that is silly. It's got to be one of the most ridiculous thing to complain about, in my opinion.

MagicalMan wrote:This is what I expected. Does Otis not realize that bringing in another player can have a positive impact on chemistry and confidence? That it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative aspect of making a trade. I think he is being too patient. While I understand this to a degree (with Battie and possibly Fran next year or the year after, added to Dwight, Cook, Foyle, Gortat, Auggie?) we will have a logjam of borderline players. Adding another big to the mix may just make it more difficult, unless it was a one year deal. Which in Webber's case I think he's looking for two.

It could also have a negative impact.

Heck, just talking about it could have a negative impact. People then jump on his statements, trade "rumors" start popping up everywhere and then players start looking over their shoulders. I think it's safe to say that players don't tend to play better a team game when their worried about being shipped out at any moment because their GM said he was looking to bring in, say, a higher caliber SG.

Then people would be like "OMFG! Otis is a dumbo. What did he think would happen when he started blabbing his mouth about trading?"

mattyBoi wrote:OMG typical otis bull$hitt...Can we please get this guy out of here, seriously its already old.

Actually, this here might be the exact sort of reply I was referring to. You can just cut and paste it as a reply to everything:

"Yep, typically otis...yadda, yadda, he sucks...can we fire him already...this team isn't even contending for the playo...err, fire otis!"
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#26 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Is the key word "expect" in the Otis' quote? Because when you least expect it ...
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magictreat
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#27 » by magictreat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:45 pm

cedric76 wrote:fair enough ,why make a trade for the sake of making a trade

we r preparing the season 2008/2009

our frontcourt will look really good
howard+battie+cook(now getting into shape)+foyle+lewis

forward are set with hedo+lewis

sg combo bogans+evans

pg neslon+dooling

arroyo+pat r likely gone

we then will have our pick+mle to help our depth

i still wish we package arroyo+pat somewhere in a trade

Sure!!! LOL, and next year will be the same BS, so you will say "we r preparing the season 2009/2010, LOL LOL LOL, is part of being aMagic fan, wait till next year, well I'd been waiting for 19 years, as a season ticket holder, I'll like to win NOW, for a change!!!!!!
MagicalMan
Analyst

Post#28 » by MagicalMan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:53 pm

devin3807 wrote:It could also have a negative impact.

Heck, just talking about it could have a negative impact. People then jump on his statements, trade "rumors" start popping up everywhere and then players start looking over their shoulders. I think it's safe to say that players don't tend to play better a team game when their worried about being shipped out at any moment because their GM said he was looking to bring in, say, a higher caliber SG.

I think you missed my next sentence where I said:

This is what I expected. Does Otis not realize that bringing in another player can have a positive impact on chemistry and confidence? That it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative aspect of making a trade.

I think I acknowledged that there are risks by saying that it doesnt necessarily have to be negative.

Look at Detroit, where would they be if they didnt pick up Rasheed. Think any fans/players were worried about his ego? Of course, but I think it worked out nicely for them. Winning a championship and all.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:10 pm

MagicalMan wrote:I think you missed my next sentence where I said:

This is what I expected. Does Otis not realize that bringing in another player can have a positive impact on chemistry and confidence? That it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative aspect of making a trade.

I think I acknowledged that there are risks by saying that it doesnt necessarily have to be negative.

Look at Detroit, where would they be if they didnt pick up Rasheed. Think any fans/players were worried about his ego? Of course, but I think it worked out nicely for them. Winning a championship and all.

No, I definitely didn't miss it -- I just think it goes without saying.

I think that was kind of like Ben's line:

Bensational wrote:that's not too forward, and it gives the impression to fans that he's looking to try to right the ship - even if he does stand pat.

I think it goes without saying.

Of course, the goal with every trade is to not have any negative implications. Do you think that Otis really thinks that every trade is bad? Do you think that Otis really thinks that bringing in another player can't have an positive impact. Of course not.

The same reason he doesn't need to give us the impression that he's trying to right the ship... As opposed to?

As for the Pistons, great, they made a great trade that put them over the top. Pardon me if this isn't your intent, but I hate when people bring his up, because they always use it as "See, Otis doesn't have the balls to do that!" As if all of these hypothetical trades that people come up with on here are actually proposed to Otis and he turns them all down.
MagicalMan
Analyst

Post#30 » by MagicalMan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:16 pm

devin3807 wrote:No, I definitely didn't miss it -- I just think it goes without saying.

Then why would you say:
It could also have a negative impact.

Heck, just talking about it could have a negative impact.

That goes without saying and was in reply to my statement where I acknowledged that point. So why mention it at all?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#31 » by cedric76 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:23 pm

devin3807 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, this here might be the exact sort of reply I was referring to. You can just cut and paste it as a reply to everything:

"Yep, typically otis...yadda, yadda, he sucks...can we fire him already...this team isn't even contending for the playo...err, fire otis!"

lol

devin ,every trade i made improve me team
yes i love making trades but i'm after improvement 1st
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#32 » by laVal03 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:34 pm

so if we were offered a decent player (actually any player) for Garrity's expiring contract, Otis is going to turn it down? Sorry McHale PG is part of our "core"
give me an effing break, I'd rather Otis not say anything at all
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#33 » by Just Plain Mark » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:36 pm

I think lots of things "go without saying", but its even better to hear it said. My wife would be pretty bummed if I never told her "thanks", in fact, she might begin to doubt my gratitude.

Same goes with Otis. Do I think he wants to improve the team? Sure, but I'd like to hear him acknowledge the team's imperfections. If Stan can do it, why can't Otis?

Further more, Otis doesn't get the benefit of the doubt about trade scenarios and "no quick fixes" when he trades Trevor for Mo and Cook. Even if its a good trade, its still a quick fix and "getting more consistency" should've applied to Trevor as much as Keith Bogans and Dooling/Arroyo.

He just hasn't acted completely consistent with what he says so I think he needs to change his tune.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:08 pm

MagicalMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That goes without saying and was in reply to my statement where I acknowledged that point. So why mention it at all?

Kind of one obvious statement to another.

It could help? Yeah, or it could hurt.

Then I continued with how not even actually doing a trade, but merely talking about it could be detrimental. Something that didn't necessarily go without saying.

Just Plain Mark wrote:I think lots of things "go without saying", but its even better to hear it said. My wife would be pretty bummed if I never told her "thanks", in fact, she might begin to doubt my gratitude.

Same goes with Otis. Do I think he wants to improve the team? Sure, but I'd like to hear him acknowledge the team's imperfections. If Stan can do it, why can't Otis?

I'm not really buying that analogy.

In no way could you saying "thanks" possibly undermine the job trying to do as a husband.
surflawyer
Analyst
And1: 19
Location: I love being on everyones IGNORE List ... no one ever disagrees with me ....

Post#35 » by surflawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Relax guys .... Otis may not be the sharpest tool in the GM shed but he is not an idiot (ie not working in the NY front office). If there is a deal he will do it. There is no way he will let 12 mil expire when he knows that all we have is the MLE next year. If we trade the 12 mil in expirings we can get a 12 mil player which we have zero chance of doing because of the cap *insert comment about $118 million contract here* if we let them expire. Who knows, there may not be any deals out there. My biggest concern is that most GMs around the league dont have any staff that are fluent in "mumble" and they may not realize that Otis is actually trying to make a deal.

Two days ago my friend left his cell phone on his bed and he and his girlfriend began makingout. While rolling around on the phone it hit redial. For the next 20 minutes I though I was talking to Otis about a possible Medical Malpractice case against his dentist.
"The first thing we need to do is kill all the attorneys."

William Shakespeare
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#36 » by Just Plain Mark » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm

devin3807 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not really buying that analogy.

In no way could you saying "thanks" possibly undermine the job trying to do as a husband.

IMO, in no way does saying, "This team is imperfect", undermine his job as a GM. Like I said, if Stan can say it, why can't Otis say it? In fact, if Stan says it and Otis doesn't, I think there's a problem.

ETA: Hasn't Otis already shown his hand to a large extent with phrases like this
Otis Smith wrote:but I think what we need, as a team, is more consistent play from the guys we have,"

So he's already acknowledged they aren't up to snuff yet, he's just not going to say he'll trade to fix that problem.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#37 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Didnt Otis say that he was happy with Francis and a week later he was shipped to NY? What he says to the media about trades doesnt really matter.
aka: prorl
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#38 » by magicman123 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:03 pm

yea i can see otis letting $12million expire...its nothing new with smith, every year he says something like this..lets just sit back and wait for otis to say the same thing in a week or two
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#39 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 pm

From David Thorpe latest chat:

Mike Woodson (Atlanta): I have a deal on the table for Josh Childress. Orlando has offered Keyon Dooling and a 1st round pick. Deal or No Deal???

David Thorpe: (12:39 PM ET ) Sounds solid.

DJ (Camp victory Iraq): David, are the magic going to make a trade before the deadline? why or why not?

David Thorpe: (12:00 PM ET ) I don't think so. Who can they move?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18835
aka: prorl
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#40 » by Catledge » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 pm

I think the biggest myth in the NBA is the idea that expiring contracts carry significant trade value more often than not. They will only rarely get you anything good, if for no other reason than that they aren't that rare. Most teams have at least one or two contracts that are expiring, meaning that in most cases you have to include real talent in a deal if you want to get anything decent in return.

And, for what it's worth, I think our greatest need is actually at SG.

Return to Orlando Magic