ImageImageImageImage

Another JJ thread....

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#61 » by LiteHedded » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:58 pm

we're winning.
jj can ride the pine. doesn't bother me
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#62 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Go JJ...way to kick ass in 3 minutes of garbage time when both teams had quit.

Don't get me wrong, he looked good...but it means nothing.

I don't know why Stan didn't put him in sooner...or why he never does. What is the point in having him if Stan isn't even going to try and develop something out of him.

Either trade him or play him.
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by LiteHedded » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:Go JJ...way to kick ass in 3 minutes of garbage time when both teams had quit.

Don't get me wrong, he looked good...but it means nothing.

I don't know why Stan didn't put him in sooner...or why he never does. What is the point in having him if Stan isn't even going to try and develop something out of him.

Either trade him or play him.

either one works for me
mttingly2391
Sophomore

JJ... 

Post#64 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Okay, I know that this topic has been discussed to death on this board. However, watching Redick during those "big" 3 minutes last night confirms what I have thought about this whole season. I really believe that he can be a solid contributor to this team. Anyone that knows basketball can't tell me that the Magic can't find 10-15 min. a night for him. He is the smartest player on the team, good a creating his own shot, and the best at using screens to get freed up. I'm not saying start him or play him the whole game, but you can find ways to play the guy 10-15 min. a night and you can even find ways to make sure he plays more offense then defense.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Re: JJ... 

Post#65 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Okay, I know that this topic has been discussed to death on this board. However, watching Redick during those "big" 3 minutes last night confirms what I have thought about this whole season. I really believe that he can be a solid contributor to this team. Anyone that knows basketball can't tell me that the Magic can't find 10-15 min. a night for him. He is the smartest player on the team, good a creating his own shot, and the best at using screens to get freed up. I'm not saying start him or play him the whole game, but you can find ways to play the guy 10-15 min. a night and you can even find ways to make sure he plays more offense then defense.

Your "thread" was merged.

Please dont make new threads on exsisting topics, especially when you only make a statement/comment rather than a new discussion.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#66 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Smartest player on the team? Wow, that's a bold statement, seeing as he's played about 19 seconds this entire season.

There's really no plainer way to say this: we do NOT need more offense.

We're the top-scoring team in the East. SVG knows defense, and if JJ's not playing, it's because he's not defending in practice. And you're right, he's very talented offensively. Which means that if he even feigned an interest in playing defense in practice, Stan would play him. But, clearly, that's not the case.
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#67 » by magicfan217 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 pm

JJ can light it up.

When he gets in and we run plays for him he fills it up.

That being said you can't just put JJ in and sit him in a corner. He needs to have screens set/plays run to get him the ball. Thats why He would be a great addition to our bench unit because when he was in the game we could run plays for him while our regulars are resting (thus we would still be capable of scoring).
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#68 » by magicfan217 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:15 pm

it's no secret he struggles defensively but so does jameer.

I would rather play Keyon and JJ than Jameer and bogans.

Arroyo Keyon
Evans JJ
Turk Turk/Bogans
Shard Cook
Dwight Foyle

since turk usually runs with the bench i put him in the 2nd unit.....
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#69 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:15 pm

for the record, i just said give the kid some time i think he will help out bench...
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#70 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm

i dont see why he cant get like 10 min a game.

but dont bank on that coming against the pistons or celtics haha
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#71 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Right on Theif...I couldn't agree with you more.

Hey Gerhalt..I am sticking with JJ being the smartest guy on the team. He has the smarts. If you watch our team and watch when he is in the game he makes great decisions and really fundamentally sounds plays. Anyone that knows basketball can recognize that (I don't mean that to be a cheap shot, just trying to get the point across). And besides our effort in the last couple of games, this team hasn't played defense since November, so you can't tell me that JJ could do any worse then the defensive effort we are giving now (last 4 have been ok).
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#72 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:39 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Right on Theif...I couldn't agree with you more.

Hey Gerhalt..I am sticking with JJ being the smartest guy on the team. He has the smarts. If you watch our team and watch when he is in the game he makes great decisions and really fundamentally sounds plays. Anyone that knows basketball can recognize that (I don't mean that to be a cheap shot, just trying to get the point across). And besides our effort in the last couple of games, this team hasn't played defense since November, so you can't tell me that JJ could do any worse then the defensive effort we are giving now (last 4 have been ok).

Yes...JJ actually could do worse defensively. That is why he is not playing.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,444

Post#73 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:10 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:Smartest player on the team? Wow, that's a bold statement, seeing as he's played about 19 seconds this entire season.

There's really no plainer way to say this: we do NOT need more offense.

We're the top-scoring team in the East. SVG knows defense, and if JJ's not playing, it's because he's not defending in practice. And you're right, he's very talented offensively. Which means that if he even feigned an interest in playing defense in practice, Stan would play him. But, clearly, that's not the case.

we're only 3 games out of a funk that saw us come seriously crashin to earth. this is just like the start of the season - we're hot, but it won't continue. and when it doesn't, and our defense starts to disappear again, JJ should be out there helping with offense. but i'm sure he won't. this team only seems to play when the shots are falling. once they stop, the hustle and effort just fades away. JJ can make shots. he can be a spark-plug.

the Mavs, Suns, Warriors have all shown that you can succeed with a lot of offense.

all i want to see is for the kid to get a chance. it's flat out rude not to put him in for more minutes in a blowout, and to me that just says that SVG's got something against him (deservedly or not is anybody's guess)
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#74 » by sportsrock37 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Ok I just read this entire thread, here are some of my comments about JJ.

1. If Stan Van Gundy, who absolutely loves shooters can't find a place for JJ I'm not sure if anyone will be able to. I trust Stan the Man 100%, so I'm not going to say start playing JJ more, because we are playing good ball and none of us have seen the practices. To say that he has a major bias against JJ is ridiculous. Do you really think that if JJ was good enough to receive mins that SVG wouldn't give them to him? I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in short spurts, but nothing major at all.

2. So let me get this straight. Offense is our strength and defense is our weakness. We all agree on that right? You say our defense is bad with Bogans and Evans in the game, but you want to put in JJ? So we would make a weakness weaker by playing JJ, while potentially making a strength stronger? That just makes no sense to me at all. You are guaranteed to be weaker defensively with JJ in the game and it's not a guarantee that JJ will be hitting his shots or hell even getting shots if you play him with the Big 3 and Jameer.

3. The reason why Keith Bogans and Maurice has gotten the nod is not only because they are better defenders, but they are more active on the glass and they don't need the ball to be effective. They can make an impact on the game without scoring. JJ can't do that. When you have a big 3 like the Magic do of Dwight, Hedo, Shard, and a 4th like Jameer getting over 10 a game, you don't need more scorers. You need the scrappers who will do the little things that help you win a game. Evans/Bogans are those type of players, while JJ is not.

4. Where did this thing about JJ being a great passer come from? In college, his best season was 2.6 apg in 37 mins. He avg 34 mpg in college and 2.2 apg. That doesn't strike me as great numbers. Thus far in his brief NBA career he has avg 12.7 mpg and only .7 apg. That would be 2.8 apg in 50.8 mpg. I guess I just don't undestand how someone with those mediocre numbers could be considered such a great passer in the eyes of the fans. I've watched games and he's made some good passes and all, but I don't look at him and say, wow he's an exceptional passer.

5. If JJ Redick is in the game, he needs to score. It's obvious that he can't rebound, can't pass(statistically), can't play defense, so when he's in the game he has to score and be the #1 or #2 option on offense or he's pretty much worthless. So unless we have a lineup where it's only Dwight, only Turkoglu, or only Rashard on the court then he's pretty much worthless playing. The only lineup I would like to see him in is if it's something like.... Dooling, JJ, Evans, Hedo/Shard, Dwight. In this lineup he would be the #2 or 3 option and would spread the floor for Dwight. He also has 2 very good defenders alongside him. He absolutely can not play alongside Jameer Nelson, the defense would be too bad in the backcourt. He can't play alongside Hedo and Shard, so take out the 25 mins or so that they both play together. Then you have to play him when Dwight is in the game, so that's another 10 mins or so that he's not able to play. It's worthless to play JJ without Dwight on the floor. So there's only about 10 mins of possible playing time for JJ Redick, IMO.

6. Does anyone not think that Ronnie Brewer would be our starting SG right now if we drafted him instead of JJ Redick? Yet another bonehead move by our front office.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#75 » by maginno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm

"If Stan Van Gundy, who absolutely loves shooters can't find a place for JJ I'm not sure if anyone will be able to."

Too lazy to get into it again in this thread but suffice to say the above quote is just silly. Love Stan too but what he does on one team does not have a thing to do with what he would do on another team. Thats just nonsense. Lets say we didn't get Shard would we be "set on offense"? Claiming the guy cant make it here is one thing projecting it to all other teams in the NBA is not (Please Use More Appropriate Word) but nevertheless sufficient enough to seek medical attention for future possible conditions.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#76 » by maginno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Bensational wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

we're only 3 games out of a funk that saw us come seriously crashin to earth. this is just like the start of the season - we're hot, but it won't continue. and when it doesn't, and our defense starts to disappear again, JJ should be out there helping with offense. but i'm sure he won't. this team only seems to play when the shots are falling. once they stop, the hustle and effort just fades away. JJ can make shots. he can be a spark-plug.

Props Bensational. Living up to the name because thats one of the best posts I've seen on these forums all year. Takes a little time to get used to the Manic depressive state of these boards. Two weeks ago everyone was crying and whining about refs and sucking. This week we're all good and set because we've won a few games and got a few good games out of players everyone was putting down.

So now we are set at offense. Cook's a budding All star (okay a little hyperbole) Evans is better than slice bread with jam. We won't ever need a little spark off the bench (wasn't it a few weeks ago when everyone was talking about our second unit) ever again.

Of course its all nonsense. This team still tanks whenever Turk goes into a funk. But don't worry about it. Just mark the names and wonder aloud in a few weeks when the depressive part of the mental swing comes...
as it always does.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#77 » by MagicalMan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 pm

ok, im not reading every page, but my thoughts:

You can't definitively say that JJ doesn't have the tools to be an NBA player if he doesn't get a chance to play regular minutes.

With that said there is also a reason JJ doesnt get many minutes. And defensive liabilities may be one of those reasons.

Either side you take is based on speculation, and the only way to truly know for sure is to give him minutes. Its hard to know what someones capabilities are if their never given the opportunity to showcase them.

You can argue either side until your blue in the face, but neither side will win the argument because its all subjective opinion until JJ has consistent mpg to either prove or disprove himself.

Just my 2 cents and for the record im not on either side here. What the team is doing now is working so theres no need to change it.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,444

Post#78 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:36 am

MagicalMan wrote:ok, im not reading every page, but my thoughts:

You can't definitively say that JJ doesn't have the tools to be an NBA player if he doesn't get a chance to play regular minutes.

With that said there is also a reason JJ doesnt get many minutes. And defensive liabilities may be one of those reasons.

Either side you take is based on speculation, and the only way to truly know for sure is to give him minutes. Its hard to know what someones capabilities are if their never given the opportunity to showcase them.

You can argue either side until your blue in the face, but neither side will win the argument because its all subjective opinion until JJ has consistent mpg to either prove or disprove himself.

Just my 2 cents and for the record im not on either side here. What the team is doing now is working so theres no need to change it.

any JJ supporter would tell you that's all they want to see. JJ gettin a solid 10mpg. just to see the kid in action. if he's a bust then i've got no probs acknowledging it, but right now it just seems meaningless to even have him on our roster.

i honestly want to see someone really press Otis or SVG for solid reasons why JJ gets no time whatsoever. i want to hear them say "he sucks at defense, he's never good in practice, he can't even get his shot off in this league..." and whatever else. i just want to hear reasons and not "well, other players can do other things he can't" and bs ambiguous answers like this. at least if they justify why he's gettin no time i'll have an answer. like MagicalMan said, it's all just speculation right now. and i hate that.
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#79 » by sportsrock37 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:17 pm

maginno wrote:"If Stan Van Gundy, who absolutely loves shooters can't find a place for JJ I'm not sure if anyone will be able to."

Too lazy to get into it again in this thread but suffice to say the above quote is just silly. Love Stan too but what he does on one team does not have a thing to do with what he would do on another team. Thats just nonsense. Lets say we didn't get Shard would we be "set on offense"? Claiming the guy cant make it here is one thing projecting it to all other teams in the NBA is not (Please Use More Appropriate Word) but nevertheless sufficient enough to seek medical attention for future possible conditions.

Fair enough, but it's odd how a coach who loves the 3 ball won't play him over career backups in Evans, Bogans, and Dooling. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else, but he's not going to get a chance here and I hope we trade him before he loses all value.

Return to Orlando Magic