ImageImageImageImage

Gerald Wallace

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#41 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:56 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:You realize that after 3 years, it is no longer an experiment, but actually a full fledged position? Look at AK47 and Josh Smith. All these guys wreak havoc and defend the rim better than most. They are power forwards and deserved to be treated as such. We all saw what happened when they tried to force Andrei away from the paint last season...


ak47 isn't a pf. josh smith and gerald wallace play PF mostly because those teams have no better option.
User avatar
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,464
And1: 917
Joined: Aug 07, 2007
         

 

Post#42 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 pm

TooNice00 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
ak47 isn't a pf. josh smith and gerald wallace play PF mostly because those teams have no better option.


I beg to differ on all three accounts. In the NBA you need your best shot blocker near the rim in order to protect the basket. These 3 are great shot blockers and rebounders for their respective sizes (which is why they are great fantasy players) so it is always good to play them at PF if you can.

In Utah, they have Okur and Boozer but can't move Andrei because of his contract. In order to keep him on the floor they have to play him out of position at the 3. This is the main reason he wanted to be traded this summer (or threatened to stay in Russia). If you watch them play, they are a much better team when Okur is out because Booz can play center and Andrei can protect the rim and wreak havoc in the painted area. When you put him out on the wing and see him dribbling up around his chest you realize that he just isn't a wing player.

With Smith, Atlanta has plenty of options. Horford and Zaza could man the post while he plays on the wing. Or you could put Wright and Williams down low. The problem is, that would be a waste of one of the league's best shot blockers. I would rather have Smith at the rim waiting on a guard to penetrate than to put him out on the wing so he is far away from the action. The same goes for Wallace. If teams didnt think these guys were suited to play these roles, they wouldn't be in them.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
Posts: 3,314
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 04, 2007

 

Post#43 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Bucs80 wrote:If you were paying attention to the game.

He shot pretty well for the first 3 quarters. He pretty much used all his energy in the 3rd quarter and scored 16 points to pretty much put them back in the game. He was shotting 11-25 at that point at the end of the 3rd. Which is decent. And note the fact he was the only bobcat to score, and for them to win the game. He needed the ball in his hands. Which they did win the game.

if you pay attention to some Bobcat basketball. With the ball in his hands recently they have won 4/6 games. They beat Boston, and lost close to Detroit. The only problem with them losing is they don't have a legit big man.

Wallace, is refining his game. He has tried doing that to avoid injuries. Because he used athletism alot. Jumpshot is improving, and his all-around game is getting better.

Rashard maybe the better shooter, but Gerald Wallace is just a superior scorer.


Uhh I did pay attention to the game but thats not the point.

Shooting 11-25 is not bad for a GAME. Gerald Wallace dominates the ball and i don't think that would be right for our team. But your right for Char to be successful i guess he needs to score alot.

Our focus is on Dwight, and Shard is his compliment. i mean think about it people say shard dissappears alot during the game but hes still putting up 20+ and thats what i mean by Shard doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective. Once D12 and Shard play together for more than 40 games they are going to be a whole lot better together.

Honestly did you really think we were going to win the Championship THIS year? As long as were are progressing were are on track.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#44 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I beg to differ on all three accounts. In the NBA you need your best shot blocker near the rim in order to protect the basket. These 3 are great shot blockers and rebounders for their respective sizes (which is why they are great fantasy players) so it is always good to play them at PF if you can.

In Utah, they have Okur and Boozer but can't move Andrei because of his contract. In order to keep him on the floor they have to play him out of position at the 3. This is the main reason he wanted to be traded this summer (or threatened to stay in Russia). If you watch them play, they are a much better team when Okur is out because Booz can play center and Andrei can protect the rim and wreak havoc in the painted area. When you put him out on the wing and see him dribbling up around his chest you realize that he just isn't a wing player.

With Smith, Atlanta has plenty of options. Horford and Zaza could man the post while he plays on the wing. Or you could put Wright and Williams down low. The problem is, that would be a waste of one of the league's best shot blockers. I would rather have Smith at the rim waiting on a guard to penetrate than to put him out on the wing so he is far away from the action. The same goes for Wallace. If teams didnt think these guys were suited to play these roles, they wouldn't be in them.


uhh first you are wrong that the jazz are better with okur out. with okur they lose offense and the floor isn't spread as well.

secondly that is exactly why smith starts at PF is because horford and zaza and wright and williams are worse options
User avatar
EasternMagic
RealGM
Posts: 15,102
And1: 835
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Orlando
     

 

Post#45 » by EasternMagic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 pm

for once i agree with magicnoles. it be nice to have gerald wallace but i think hes at the point in his career where he just needs to be the superstar. im not sure how hed mesh with dwight. the bobcats need a center cause emeka is garbage.
the noles still suck
User avatar
Bucs80
Analyst
Posts: 3,620
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 28, 2005
Location: Magic City

 

Post#46 » by Bucs80 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 pm

MagicNolesFSU wrote:Uhh I did pay attention to the game but thats not the point.

Shooting 11-25 is not bad for a GAME. Gerald Wallace dominates the ball and i don't think that would be right for our team. But your right for Char to be successful i guess he needs to score alot.

Our focus is on Dwight, and Shard is his compliment. i mean think about it people say shard dissappears alot during the game but hes still putting up 20+ and thats what i mean by Shard doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective. Once D12 and Shard play together for more than 40 games they are going to be a whole lot better together.

Honestly did you really think we were going to win the Championship THIS year? As long as were are progressing were are on track.


Yeah Shard does put up 20 points half the time, and he does dissapear alot of times. True he dosen't need the ball to be effective. But the fact is if he dosen't get the ball. What else is he going to do? Pretty much nothing except alittle rebounding

Atleast from Gerald Wallace when he dosen't score. Defense, Rebounding, stealing, and block shots. Plus his uncanny ability to get to the FT line if he can't score. With Rashard on the team, you don't get any of that.

Gerald Wallace dosen't need to dominate the ball. I said he has the ability to carry his team when he does dominate the ball. Something we really need right after Dwight Howard. Because we constantly can't keep giving him the ball and wait for him to create by himself, thats why we needed a a real star wing player to play right next to him. Rashard dosen't really help Dwight much in that sense in which he can carry the team when he is out or isn't playing well.

LMAO.. the least thing on my mind was a championship. Since we aren't even close to having that type of team. We have no bench. We have a bad backcourt. We can't rebound very well, plus we can't play any defense. Plus, We only have 1 star player on the team. Supersrstar player Dwight Howard. Plus the fact we are fanancially handicapped for 6 years. We are an average team in 20/20 vision. Luckily most of the eastern conference isn't that good.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#47 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:35 pm

gerald wallace? superstar? carrying a team? 2nd option on a good team? you got to kidding me. first he needs to work on just being an all star.
User avatar
EasternMagic
RealGM
Posts: 15,102
And1: 835
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Orlando
     

 

Post#48 » by EasternMagic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 pm

well if rashard continues to progress and hedo snaps his cold streak we should i see no reason why we cant be ECC contenders. we already showed it in the beginning of the season. maybe not this year but this team is almost there if jameer cant play consistent as a starter were going to have to do something about that but im confident that he can once his body is healed up. we do need to get a true pf and despite otis saying all that crap i see us making a trade
User avatar
Bucs80
Analyst
Posts: 3,620
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 28, 2005
Location: Magic City

 

Post#49 » by Bucs80 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:56 am

EasternMagic wrote:well if rashard continues to progress and hedo snaps his cold streak we should i see no reason why we cant be ECC contenders. we already showed it in the beginning of the season. maybe not this year but this team is almost there if jameer cant play consistent as a starter were going to have to do something about that but im confident that he can once his body is healed up. we do need to get a true pf and despite otis saying all that crap i see us making a trade


Rashard is 28 years old, and isn't really progessed into a star that Otis gave him the money for. Hedo isn't supposed to be this good essentially and him staying this good I'm still not sold on on it. Plus the fact we lact talent also leans on it too. We have no bench, play no defense. We will never be good unless we those 2 things.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#50 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 am

Bucs80 wrote:Rashard is 28 years old, and isn't really progessed into a star that Otis gave him the money for. Hedo isn't supposed to be this good essentially and him staying this good I'm still not sold on on it. Plus the fact we lact talent also leans on it too. We have no bench, play no defense. We will never be good unless we those 2 things.


We're how many games into his tenure with us?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
EasternMagic
RealGM
Posts: 15,102
And1: 835
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Orlando
     

 

Post#51 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:53 am

i know man you gotta give him a little time hes still averaging around 20 points and i didnt mean escalate his play higher than what he reached in seattle i just meant to progress to fit in better with the team and solidify his role.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
Posts: 3,314
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 04, 2007

 

Post#52 » by MagicNolesFSU » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:05 am

exactly, hes not supposed to be nor ever was he going to be THE GUY on our team. Hes going to be the perfect compliment to THE GUY on our team who is Dwight. Hes just gotta get comfortable in his role.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
User avatar
EasternMagic
RealGM
Posts: 15,102
And1: 835
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Orlando
     

 

Post#53 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 am

MagicNolesFSU wrote:exactly, hes not supposed to be nor ever was he going to be THE GUY on our team. Hes going to be the perfect compliment to THE GUY on our team who is Dwight. Hes just gotta get comfortable in his role.

man for the first time ever we agree kudos to you i think i see a peaceful ending to our war because of this.... but the noles still suck at football
richboy
RealGM
Posts: 25,371
And1: 2,406
Joined: Sep 01, 2003

 

Post#54 » by richboy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 am

Gerald Wallace isn't a superstar but either is Rashard. I rather have Wallace especially when factoring the money. The biggest issue this team has is finding someone to give them that dynamic scorer from the perimeter. You can't expect Hedo to do it against the best teams in the league in clutch times for entire playoff series.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,145
And1: 4,159
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

 

Post#55 » by drsd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 am

Wallace is not going to leave Charlotte. Thus, this is a moo point. THe Magic went after, and got, a guy that was genuinely available.
User avatar
NEM
RealGM
Posts: 13,079
And1: 2,013
Joined: Feb 02, 2003
Location: The O!
Contact:
         

 

Post#56 » by NEM » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:48 pm

we should have just split the cost and gotten both, shard would have done it
Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#57 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:53 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:we should have just split the cost and gotten both, shard would have done it


Some pseudo code:

if ((XBOX == Real Life) || (PS3 == Real Life))
thisWouldHappen = true;
else
thisWouldHappen = false;
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
Bucs80
Analyst
Posts: 3,620
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 28, 2005
Location: Magic City

 

Post#58 » by Bucs80 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:59 pm

MagicNolesFSU wrote:exactly, hes not supposed to be nor ever was he going to be THE GUY on our team. Hes going to be the perfect compliment to THE GUY on our team who is Dwight. Hes just gotta get comfortable in his role.


What the hell?

so you pay this guy 118 Million just to compliment Dwight Howard? Do you understand what you guys are saying. If they weren't going to pay him that much, they were gonna give him the max. When you get paid that much money supposed to the Star player. I don't know when you paid someone that much money just to compliment a Superstar. He supposed to along the lines of your Superstar or your All-Star player. People over the summer expected him to be the go-to-guy. You can go back to those Rashard Lewis topics where they expected to be the man at the wing, and average 25-27 points a game.

Yeah he did score 20 points a game 5 times. But don't you know what the end result in 3/5 of those games? Those games ended up in losses. Plus 1/4 on the road. When Hedo scored 28 points, we won that game against Clippers.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
Posts: 3,314
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 04, 2007

 

Post#59 » by MagicNolesFSU » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:42 pm

omg dude, do you think if you cry about the contract enough it'll get smaller? seriously WHAT can ANYONE do about Shards contract at this point in time? LET IT GO

Hes getting the money to make the TEAM better and to play a robin out D12's batman. Give him more than half a season to get acclimated with his role.

seriously its like constant crying over a contract like its going to change something.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
User avatar
Bucs80
Analyst
Posts: 3,620
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 28, 2005
Location: Magic City

 

Post#60 » by Bucs80 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 pm

MagicNolesFSU wrote:omg dude, do you think if you cry about the contract enough it'll get smaller? seriously WHAT can ANYONE do about Shards contract at this point in time? LET IT GO

Hes getting the money to make the TEAM better and to play a robin out D12's batman. Give him more than half a season to get acclimated with his role.

seriously its like constant crying over a contract like its going to change something.


Yeah, and the fact Hedo Turkoglu is playing Robin right now. What happens if his play goes back to what it was. You have a mediocre team. Rashard Lewis. He just 1 demensional player, it's been known ever since he came here. Him likely improving is 0.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.

Return to Orlando Magic