ImageImageImageImage

On the Dan Sileo Show Otis......

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#41 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Mehectorgato: You are right that nobody checked with the mrs. for Fran. But trust me, my sources are as close you can get to the situation.


I should trust you ... because you say so?

Lemme guess what's next, you've got a bridge to sell me?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#42 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:57 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Dude I know they were here. Some other guys said they weren't here. I'm just saying that I don't think they are responsible for drafting Dwight. To be honest I don't know who was...I don't like Weis, Twardz, or Otis.


Don't care what you think. The documentary aired on Sun Sports TV showed that those guys certainly had a great influence on the matter.

Weis even said that he wanted the 2 guys to convince him of the choice - as if to infer that he "picked" Oak just to make them convince him otherwise.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#43 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:58 pm

haha..yeah and its sturdy..trust me. Nah man, I'm just saying I have someone close to the situation. But its all good. I think we can agree they messed up with Fran...ya know?
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#44 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Mhectorgato:

Alright buddy come down. I dont' care what you think really either. If you are trying to prove a point that Otis a good GM, then you have a long way to do to convince me or anyone else that knows something about basketball. I think its great that some awesome documentary on the great and legendary sun sports showed what a genius Twardz and Otis are. That is cool. If they are the ones responsible for drafting Dwight, then congrats to them...they did one thing right.
cedric76
RealGM
Posts: 12,373
And1: 2,172
Joined: May 28, 2005

 

Post#45 » by cedric76 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 pm

watch teh show and u'll know


great show
u can see okafor+howard's work out
draft strategies
nelson trade
the lottery nba
draft day

GREAT GREAT SHOW
????,DJ
Evan,Simms,Iwundu
AG,Ross,frazier,jackson
isaac,AG,Birch
Mo,Biz,birch
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 20,932
And1: 473
Joined: Dec 24, 2005
Location: orlando

 

Post#46 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Poor General Management is an Orlando institution.

It should be trademarked.........lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#47 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:10 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:haha..yeah and its sturdy..trust me. Nah man, I'm just saying I have someone close to the situation. But its all good. I think we can agree they messed up with Fran...ya know?


Still don't trust you, don't take it personal.

You mean their (A) repeatedly scouting him in person overseas, (B) Fran talking with former NBA players about the NBA, (C) him showing up at the draft night, (D) him getting an American agent, (E) BHill talking with his head coach (a good friend of Hill's), etc ....

We can question if he was the right player, but I certainly think they did their part. I think that Fran either (A) got cold feet (B) his girl changed his mind or (C) he just played us to get more money.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#48 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Mhectorgato:

So you are trying to tell me now that they didn't screw up the Fran thing? Is this Otis? Or Ashton? Am I getting punked?

They did not scout him numerous times overseas. They did not have him here for a workout. They never asked him if he was ready to play in the NBA. They absolutely did not do their work. If you think they did, you have lost all credibility. He set the Magic up to get more money overseas. Everyone in the basketball community knows that.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#49 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:18 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Mhectorgato:

So you are trying to tell me now that they didn't screw up the Fran thing? Is this Otis? Or Ashton? Am I getting punked?

They did not scout him numerous times overseas. They did not have him here for a workout. They never asked him if he was ready to play in the NBA. They absolutely did not do their work. If you think they did, you have lost all credibility. He set the Magic up to get more money overseas. Everyone in the basketball community knows that.


A) Twadz perosnally went overseas numerous times to scout

B) To successfully set some one up, don't you have to convince them that your intentions are to come over?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#50 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Mhectorgato:

Alright buddy come down. I dont' care what you think really either. If you are trying to prove a point that Otis a good GM, then you have a long way to do to convince me or anyone else that knows something about basketball. I think its great that some awesome documentary on the great and legendary sun sports showed what a genius Twardz and Otis are. That is cool. If they are the ones responsible for drafting Dwight, then congrats to them...they did one thing right.


It's certainly a ton more credible than some dude in an internet forum with a "source".
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#51 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:25 pm

oh shut up. about otis smith and draft picks. you know how many teams are kicking themselves in the head over the 2005 nba draft? how about the 2006 nba draft?. seriously we hardly made out that bad from what other teams did.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#52 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 pm

first cato(isn't even in the league anymore) was useless and for us to get anything out of it is good.

steve francis for ariza and penny was an amazing deal when you look back at it. seriously steve francis( bought out of his contract) doesn't even get playing time and will probably be out of the league soon.

signing jameer was a good idea, the last thing we need is jameer, keyon, and carlos all being free agents at the same time.

signing rashard for 118 million hurts but at the same time we were gonna be over the cap anyway. all we were gonna have was the mle after dwight got extended anyway.

otis smith hasn't been a terrific GM but he hasn't been horrible.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#53 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:41 pm

TooNice00 wrote:otis smith hasn't been a terrific GM but he hasn't been horrible.


Agreed.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#54 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Mhectorgato:

Do you have something personal against me. Look man believe what you want. You don't thin Fran set up the Magic. Look at the multi million dollar contract he go and he rarely plays in Barcelona now. I think he succeeded.

Toonice: I think you have misunderstood what I said before. I agree that all of those moves were great, but it is important to see how they pan out in the long term. Otis has not been successful with that. Its would be great if those trades made us an instant title contender, but they were supossed to help us along in building a title contender. I feel that he wasted those good moves by turning them into bad ones.

Who cares if all of our pg's were free agents at the same time. You can always find a pg as good as Jameer on the open market.

Otis is not as bad as Weis, but that is not saying too much. He has been ok at times and horrible at most.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#55 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:55 pm

stop complaining about otis. look at what some of the other teams have done and they are suffering big time for it, and a lot more than we are. besides the obvious knicks. houston traded rudy gay and stromile for battier, this could basically kill houstons title chances because they are desperate for youth and a third option but let it go in rudy gay. the wolves traded foye for roy, talk about dumb. the bucks and atlanta missed out on chris paul and deron. how about the raptors picking "the next dirk". paxon not trading for kobe and signing ben wallace. the bulls trading aldridge for tyrus, another dumb move. even the spurs, they are not suffering for it, but they basically let scola and udrih go for nothing, who both look like good players.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#56 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:58 pm

TooNice: Just because there are other dumb moves being made in the NBA, does that mean that we should cut Otis some slack? That's crazy. I agree that all of the moves you stated are stupid, but so what. That is like saying to your kid, its okay if you got an F in math as long as there were 10 other kids that got F's too.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,590
And1: 686
Joined: Dec 18, 2007
Location: The Truth

 

Post#57 » by mattyBoi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I cannot fathom how some people think they can justify Otis as a good gm.

That is clearly overly optimistic and borderline homerly.

And are people acting like the Jameer trade is really significant? I mean it was a decent pick but we could have done better...Anyone remember Kevin Martin?

Ok i may be nit picking but point is the Jameer trade didnt mean much and Otis scouting him doesnt earn him ANY praise. Most point guards in the league would put up identical or even better numbers than Jameer has, if given Jameers minutes. Hes not a starting point guard.

Ask anyone who is not a magic fan how good Otis is as a GM.

Their response: bahahaha.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 11, 2008

 

Post#58 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Geez Mattyboi, it took you long enough. I'm getting drilled by these guys on Otis. Your are exactly right man.
TooNice00
Banned User
Posts: 2,653
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2006

 

Post#59 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm

^so? 29 GMs fail every year. most of the gms in nba have made horrible moves. Winning covers up all mistakes. and sometimes its called getting lucky. we got lucky in dwight howard because nobody and i mean nobody thought he was gonna be this good.
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#60 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:12 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Mhectorgato:

Do you have something personal against me. Look man believe what you want. You don't thin Fran set up the Magic. Look at the multi million dollar contract he go and he rarely plays in Barcelona now. I think he succeeded.


earlier I wrote:I think that Fran either (A) got cold feet (B) his girl changed his mind or (C) he just played us to get more money.


That was one of the possibilities I put forth.

The point was - Otis/Twardz could have done everything right and it still would have resulted in the same outcome.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic