ImageImageImageImage

On the Dan Sileo Show Otis......

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#81 » by MoGrAdY » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:35 am

BTW I highly highly doubt it is the trade rumor brought up here between GS - ORL. But a GSW poster mentioned that GS is working ona trade according to Nellie. Nellie said the roster would look different after the trade dealine. And something about they are gonna take another look at a deal they discussed with a team last week. Who knows.. *Wishful thinking*
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#82 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:45 am

flyingvee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So you'd rather not have Kidd here and have about 3 serious seasons of contention but rather have Nelson for 10 more seasons of sub-500 ball?

See that's the thing with just about everyone who sits around here yapping "Otis SUX sooo bad!!!"; you just assume that all these other things would be true.

So according to you, if we got Jason Kidd we'd have 3 seasons of serious contention.

What makes this such a given to you?

1. How is New Jersey doing with Kidd, another superstar in Vince Carter, and Richard Jefferson, who is playing great right now? 8th in the East.

2. How long is Kidd going to keep up at this rate? (He turns 35 in like 2 months)

3. You do realize that to obtain Kidd we'd have to send a lot out, right? He's got a $20 million dollar price tag, but I'm sure we can just ignore that, right? It's like NBA Live, or something.

And the alternative..."have Nelson for 10 more seasons of sub-500 ball?"

Yeah, of course.

Not only will we not get any better, but we're going to get worse!

Ya'll just throw ridiculous statements out there as if these are just known truths, hypothetical scenarios and trades as if they can just be done on a whim, or just flat out make up numbers (Bucs).

flyingvee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Do you really seriously believe that? As crappy as this team has played you think Ariza would be sitting on the bench while scrub Evans is playing? We did the Lakers a favor by taking dead wood off them, Cook and giving them a much better player in Ariza for Evans.

You realize that Ariza wasn't even getting playing time with us, right?

And you do realize that Evans is now starting for us, right?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#83 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:51 am

Why assume Jameer can give you any, let alone 10, seasons of serious contention?
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 am

Cammo101 wrote:Why assume Jameer can give you any, let alone 10, seasons of serious contention?

Awesome logic.

Because I don't assume that keeping Jameer will cause us to have 10 years of sub-.500 play, that means that I must assume that keeping Jameer will cause us to contend for 10 years.

Of course.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#85 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:36 am

devin3807 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Awesome logic.

Because I don't assume that keeping Jameer will cause us to have 10 years of sub-.500 play, that means that I must assume that keeping Jameer will cause us to contend for 10 years.

Of course.

My bad. I read your post wrong. I thought that was exactly what you were saying.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:02 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My bad. I read your post wrong. I thought that was exactly what you were saying.

No worries.

In that case, my bad as well with the harsh tone.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#87 » by maginno » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 am

Haven't had the chance to read through the whole thread but as the resident Otis critic on these boards I have to agree

What otis says doesn't mean beans. IF he lives up to what he is saying now with the trade deadline passing then thats fair game. Why stretch a point. Its not like we don't already have ample proof that Otis is clueless. Lets wait and see what he does by February.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#88 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:06 am

Otis comes off as a tool sometimes...no quick fixes eh? Yet you traded Ariza for two bandaids?

the guys a tool...hate to say it but the roster has clear, glaring problems.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#89 » by NEM » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:50 pm

i dont believe anything he says, as a matter of fact im starting to believe the opposite...steve is our guy and we're gonna stick with him, 2 weeks later, magic trade francis to knicks for ariza and hardaway...brian is our coach and will be next season, 3 weeks later, magic fire brian hill...you see where im going with this?
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#90 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 pm

I can tell you that if Otis makes an awsome move here, I still won't like him. He has made too many shotty moves with this roster. He needs to be a consistently good.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#91 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:54 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:I can tell you that if Otis makes an awsome move here, I still won't like him. He has made too many shotty moves with this roster. He needs to be a consistently good.

How long does he have to be at to be "consistently" good?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#92 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Otis comes off as a tool sometimes...no quick fixes eh? Yet you traded Ariza for two bandaids?the guys a tool...hate to say it but the roster has clear, glaring problems.

I don't want to argue, but I like Evans and he is starting. I think the trade has worked out well, but that is just my opinion.

Our main weakness is Tony's injury, and yes we need to upgrade some talent but not everything can be done through trade and free agency. We need to look towards the draft to do alot of this stuff.

I just get tired of the same ol negativity. Every thread turns into a we paid Reshard to much and we should'nt have traded Ariza. Alot of us disagree with both of those ideas. I wish we could just move past this tired ass argument. It's boring, it's negative and the board itself is suffering. I know some people just want to make the team better and this is realgm so people want to be the pretend GM, so that leads to ideas, but let's get out of the past and look to the future, because we are not the real gm's and we can't do **** but complian about it. I have no problem with looking at trades and looking toward the draft and talking about the future. I just have a problem re hashing the same ol negative argument.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#93 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 pm

a few things that I think are overlooked a lot...

1) is that Tony wasn't injured when Lewis was signed, that doesn't mean we weren't going to sign Lewis anyway, but had he of known we'd lose an integral piece, he may have been more apt to negotiating differently...now obviously Tony is no Carlos Boozer and we would still probably want to explore options in the depth dept. but, and this is the only area I take issue with, is that Otis put too much stake in hoping things would hold together with only having Tony and Dwight and getting maybe ONE more piece, which wound up being Foyle...

2) rosters, for the most part are not comprised of Superstar/All-Star/Superstar/Superstar/All-Star...we can't sit around and think that every deal we pull off is going to be for better talent, that's not really how it works...you can't go around town shopping a $2 bill and expect to get a $20 in exchange...sometimes it is all about fit, Otis feels that Cook and Evans are a better fit, and so far I agree, Evans is getting a horde of minutes, more than Ariza ever got, even though Ariza was "god" why do you think that is? just fit's on the floor better...people should realize that what doesn't work for you, might work just perfectly for the next guy, that's why they have used car lots...

point is, if your trying to buy a soda at the vending machine, you'll probably have a better time with two $1 bills, than that $2 bill...

3) we overpaid for Shard, the BEST FA on the market at the time...why did we HAVE to sign Shard? well, think of it from this angle...Dwight Howard...Do you think he wanted to just idle through this season too? probably not...sometimes you have to do things to keep the ship afloat before you afford to completely overhaul it...sometimes patches are more costly than repairs...it happens...but im just saying, I would bet a large sum that Dwight played a big role in having to acquire Shard...if i was a the type to bet...

so hate him if you must, but just try and be more open to other angles about dealings...aside from drafts picks (which i admit we're bunked) everything else is a gamble, every GM does it, every season, you gamble, sometimes things work, sometimes everything works, but more often than not, things dont work and you just have to keep things moving...a GM always has things on the back burner...cut him a little slack...he's been our GM for only a short while, and it's not like he's mopping floors here...
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#94 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I don't know if anyone brought up Ra$hard'$ unprofessional and uncaring performance in this thread yet ....
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#95 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:30 pm

thEthIEf wrote:a few things that I think are overlooked a lot...

1) is that Tony wasn't injured when Lewis was signed, that doesn't mean we weren't going to sign Lewis anyway, but had he of known we'd lose an integral piece, he may have been more apt to negotiating differently...now obviously Tony is no Carlos Boozer and we would still probably want to explore options in the depth dept. but, and this is the only area I take issue with, is that Otis put too much stake in hoping things would hold together with only having Tony and Dwight and getting maybe ONE more piece, which wound up being Foyle...

2) rosters, for the most part are not comprised of Superstar/All-Star/Superstar/Superstar/All-Star...we can't sit around and think that every deal we pull off is going to be for better talent, that's not really how it works...you can't go around town shopping a $2 bill and expect to get a $20 in exchange...sometimes it is all about fit, Otis feels that Cook and Evans are a better fit, and so far I agree, Evans is getting a horde of minutes, more than Ariza ever got, even though Ariza was "god" why do you think that is? just fit's on the floor better...people should realize that what doesn't work for you, might work just perfectly for the next guy, that's why they have used car lots...

point is, if your trying to buy a soda at the vending machine, you'll probably have a better time with two $1 bills, than that $2 bill...

3) we overpaid for Shard, the BEST FA on the market at the time...why did we HAVE to sign Shard? well, think of it from this angle...Dwight Howard...Do you think he wanted to just idle through this season too? probably not...sometimes you have to do things to keep the ship afloat before you afford to completely overhaul it...sometimes patches are more costly than repairs...it happens...but im just saying, I would bet a large sum that Dwight played a big role in having to acquire Shard...if i was a the type to bet...

so hate him if you must, but just try and be more open to other angles about dealings...aside from drafts picks (which i admit we're bunked) everything else is a gamble, every GM does it, every season, you gamble, sometimes things work, sometimes everything works, but more often than not, things dont work and you just have to keep things moving...a GM always has things on the back burner...cut him a little slack...he's been our GM for only a short while, and it's not like he's mopping floors here...

Word to your mother

I'm Audi 5000. Peace!
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#96 » by j-ragg » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm

I really wonder how much of this board would've went on a riot if Otis didn't sign Shard because he asked for too much $ and some other team gave it to him.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#97 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:38 pm

So theif how do you explain trading an expiring and 1st round pick, for arroyo and darko.

Then not signing darko to an low extension when he had the chance.

Then going on to lose darko and have Detroit pick a nice player with our pick.

Not to mention the cap space Cato wouldve brought.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#98 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:39 pm

we probably would not have signed anything important this off season had we not of inked Shard...maybe just a few journeymen..it was a thin Market and most players chose to stay home...
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#99 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:40 pm

And no matter what i believe it was otis that showed grant the door this summer.

He thought he had everything he needed and he was wrong.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#100 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm

mattyBoi wrote:So theif how do you explain trading an expiring and 1st round pick, for arroyo and darko.

Like everyone else, we were suckered in by his potential.

But we've got a PG that has filled the backup role well enough/

mattyBoi wrote:Then not signing darko to an low extension when he had the chance.

Then going on to lose darko and have Detroit pick a nice player with our pick.

Lewis >>>> (probably some more >s are needed) Darko

Return to Orlando Magic