ImageImageImageImage

This weekend is a baromter of where we are

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

This weekend is a baromter of where we are 

Post#1 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 am

Let's forget everything, the 16-4 start, the following periods of inconsistant play..

This weekend is going to show us how far we have come since last year, while we still have a chance to make some additions if needed.

Detroits going to be pissed, we are going to get their best on Friday. If we can play with the same intensity on defense as we did monday we can atleast stay in it.

Celtics are rolling, it would make a major statement if we were to beat them again, we match up pretty well, the key will be our bench.

If we go 1 and 1 this weekend I will probably be happy, let's just carry the effort over on defense over from the last 3 into the weekend and see what happens!
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#2 » by drsd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:13 am

After the blowout win against the Grizz, it will be interesting indeed to see if the Magic can stay focused, and stay in the game, in the @Detroit contest. From there, Boston is of course a test. But what really intrigues me is to see how the Magic do late next week in games they are supposed to win (Miami, @Philly, @Indi). If the Magic can sweep those three, then they are back on track to beating teams they should beat. That's the path they took to get to 16-4!
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#3 » by MagicFan149 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 pm

these last three games have been really good for our confidence.... but it seems everytime we start playing well its because of the emphasis on defense... if we could keep the intensity up on that end i could see us having a great weekend... this weekend could be a big stepping stone for the second half of the season... drsd you are right though about next week having a let down but i see something in this team right now i see a good stretch coming up for us.
Superman
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Superman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I agree, not only are we playing the top 2 teams in the East but we are doing it on national television. You can't simulate a playoff atmosphere any better than that. We'll see how our guys respond to the pressure.
I think we will be able to compete, they have been playing well and SVG has somewhat settled on a consistent line-up/rotation, now if Nelson returns it could throw that all out of whack again though.
If we go 4-1 in the next 5 games I'd be very happy.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#5 » by zuppafly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

I disagree.
I believe this last 3 games showed us what we are really worthy. Beating a red hot Portland, beating the Pistons in the last second at our home after a 9 game losing streak to them and then going to Memphis to blowout easilly a team that is struggling really gave me confidence on the team.
The next two games will be like a bonus. Beating the Pistons at the Palace is incredibly hard and everyteam that does it needs the Pistons the be on a poor day. The Celtics are by far the leaders of the conference, and loosing to them is not gonna change my confidence on our guys at all (unless it's a 40 pts blowout). Last week if you told me that we'd be 3-2 on the Portland-Pistons-Memphis-Pistons-Celtics games I'd take it gladly. We're already 3-0, if we lose the next 2 I won't go into desperation mode, if we win them that won't mean we're the best on the East, it'll mean we're doing very good at the moment.
Like Rashard said the other day on an interview: this is not a sprint race, it's a marathon.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#6 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:17 pm

zuppafly wrote:I disagree.
I believe this last 3 games showed us what we are really worthy. Beating a red hot Portland, beating the Pistons in the last second at our home after a 9 game losing streak to them and then going to Memphis to blowout easilly a team that is struggling really gave me confidence on the team.
The next two games will be like a bonus. Beating the Pistons at the Palace is incredibly hard and everyteam that does it needs the Pistons the be on a poor day. The Celtics are by far the leaders of the conference, and loosing to them is not gonna change my confidence on our guys at all (unless it's a 40 pts blowout). Last week if you told me that we'd be 3-2 on the Portland-Pistons-Memphis-Pistons-Celtics games I'd take it gladly. We're already 3-0, if we lose the next 2 I won't go into desperation mode, if we win them that won't mean we're the best on the East, it'll mean we're doing very good at the moment.
Like Rashard said the other day on an interview: this is not a sprint race, it's a marathon.

I agree 100%. If the Magic lose the next 2 games but they are competitive, I will be excited. And I like the emphasis on defense. This team can score- everyone knows that- but its their defense which will get them places
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by whocares » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 pm

1. yep.
2. if anything, this is like a heat check.
3. do not need any stinkin' baromter to tell the magic what the pressur (sic) really is.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#8 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:43 pm

drsd wrote:After the blowout win against the Grizz, it will be interesting indeed to see if the Magic can stay focused, and stay in the game, in the @Detroit contest. From there, Boston is of course a test. But what really intrigues me is to see how the Magic do late next week in games they are supposed to win (Miami, @Philly, @Indi). If the Magic can sweep those three, then they are back on track to beating teams they should beat. That's the path they took to get to 16-4!

Could not agree more.

I don't expect a championship this year or even necessarily an Eastern Conference championship. But the key to getting there is beating the teams you should beat, which was an area in which we sorely lacked last year. How much better would we have fared in the playoffs against Cleveland? That would have been a reality if we'd won just one of the games we lost against miserable teams. And we've improved that dramatically so far this season. Losing two straight against Detroit and Boston would not bother me. Losing to Miami, Philly and/or Indy would cause me to lose sleep.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#9 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:45 pm

I disagree with this weekend showing us where we're at as well.

We're going up against the top two teams in the conference. If we lose both, it shows we're still a 3-4 seed team. If we win both...it shows we're most likely still a 3-4 seed (because the Celts/Pistons are still the dominant teams of the conference).

Don't get me wrong, these next two games are HUGE - but for different reasons. Otis shouldn't judge his next move based on how we do this weekend, nor should us fans judge the team based on the results either.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#10 » by Last Guardian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I would really like this team to stay at or above 10 games over .500. So these games are important. Everytime they start creeping down to 5 I get real nervous this team will implode.
magictreat
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#11 » by magictreat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm counting on Doc Rivers, to deliver us the win, Detroit will be another story, those guys are pissed, and they are the better team, I really believe, we can play against Boston, and beat them......GO MAGIC
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by Max Power » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:10 pm

I just want the Magic to win these games to stay in the race for the top seeds in the East, right now it's unlikely we catch Boston, but if hell freezes over we are still within range to maybe catch Detroit for number 2. My biggest concern is that the Wiz are only like 2 -3 games back. A division title would be a nice prize for a team that was 8th last season.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#13 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Max Power wrote:I just want the Magic to win these games to stay in the race for the top seeds in the East, right now it's unlikely we catch Boston, but if hell freezes over we are still within range to maybe catch Detroit for number 2. My biggest concern is that the Wiz are only like 2 -3 games back. A division title would be a nice prize for a team that was 8th last season.

The Wiz have a few west coast road trips coming up soon, whereas we're done with them. It will be interesting to see how things stand in about a month's time.

We're a 3 seed at best at this point. I'd be very happy with that come playoff time. As Max said, it would be a beautiful thing if we hang on to win the division, and be able to hang another banner up there!!!
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#14 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Totally agree. Besides championships (of course), I enjoy the less-celebrated achievements, such as winning a division.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#15 » by Shishnizzle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 pm

I think the Magic have been playing with great effort all around. They have been playing really good defense and they have played really good offense in the face of physical defense agianst them. They finally got over the hump with the Piston's and I feel it takes the pressure off. I think in the past it's been the pressure to establish themselves that has hindered some of thier progress. With that behind them, if they can continue to compete at a high level. The pressure is off and they can relax and play good basketball. This is a time when the Magic can establish an identity, but it will take alot of effort and it won't be determined by wins and losses. At least over the next 2 games. Even though we have played the most difficult part of our season. We still have some tough home games coming up. The last month of the season is pretty lite for us. We should be able to pad our lead in the division when Atlanta, and Washington have to start going out west.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#16 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 pm

:D
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901