ImageImageImageImage

Let's face it.

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#21 » by richboy » Sun May 4, 2008 2:50 am

I think the OP is correct. How can we score enough points to beat this team with no bench and nothing from the backcourt. The only way that those backcourt players will play better is if Detroit has to double team Dwight. If they don't double team Howard Jameer Evans, Bogans, and Dooling have to score against man to man defense. Do it against one of the best defensive teams in the league.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Post#22 » by eyriq » Sun May 4, 2008 3:02 am

Yup, and we saw that defense at its best. Damn.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#23 » by magicman123 » Sun May 4, 2008 3:21 am

Soul wrote:Mogans sucked.
Overall defense sucked.
Rebounding sucked, (Please Use More Appropriate Word) turnover sucked.
Nelson wasn't great nor was he very good, but he didn't SUCK.

+5
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Bucs80 » Sun May 4, 2008 3:26 am

We can't beat the Pistons in a 7 Game series.

Their just a better team
MagicBasketba11
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#25 » by MagicBasketba11 » Sun May 4, 2008 3:33 am

There is no way anyone has the right to be hating on Jameer Nelson right now, he has played his heart out and has really stepped it up HUGE for us here in the playoffs. Tonight he wasn't great or bad, but it was just an off night for the team as a whole. Personally, I was pissed off on the pathetic way we played tonight, they embarassed us, but I think we'll come back and tie the series up, we're not gonna let them stomp all over us again.
Twitter: NickTheQuick224
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#26 » by Dwightmare » Sun May 4, 2008 3:44 am

the one thing i liked is that we did not look scared. Detroit ran away with the third. they were supposed to win this game and they did. On to the next one..
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#27 » by AgEnT50 » Sun May 4, 2008 3:57 am

ivDT wrote:you guys need to stop hating on 'meer.

he's one of the top 7 players on this team.

:rofl:
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#28 » by MoGrAdY » Sun May 4, 2008 4:16 am

Magic in 5.
Pancho_Pantera
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#29 » by Pancho_Pantera » Sun May 4, 2008 5:32 am

I just wish Dwight had a more refined offensive game. It would make it so much easier for everyone else.
thepritz
Junior

Post#30 » by thepritz » Sun May 4, 2008 5:39 am

Tonight sucked all around, but if we fix the troubles in the second half were right there. We only need to win 1 game in Det if we win all the games at amway..

I think SVG will have them fired up and we will come out and have a good shot to take game 2.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#31 » by lovehoops01 » Sun May 4, 2008 6:14 am

Pistons are not going to double Dwight too often. They rarely double Dwight. They never doubled Shaq.

Their guards did outscore the Magic guards a lot -- but don't fool yourselves....the Pistons outnumber the Magic in experienced bigs, too, and that really hurt the Magic. It gives them 30 fouls to use against Dwight, for one, and they use them (and they aren't even called for half the ones they make. You should check out the photos from that game. There was hand-to-hand combat going on.) And, Rasheed Wallace is probably one of the best bigs in the game, even though he doesn't exert himself much.

I don't know if the Pistons shut down the Magic's 3-point shooting so much. The Magic didn't shoot the 3 well against the Raptors in most of the games in that series either. In fact, Hedo didn't really shoot the 3 well in the last couple weeks of the regular season. I think the number of minutes the starters have played this season really starts to show itself in the playoffs.

A good part of the Pistons' bench players that play have been with the team for a while, too (all of their bigs).
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#32 » by TheRevTy » Sun May 4, 2008 6:34 am

Here's the thing with Jameer:

He played his game to perfection, or at least the theory of his game. He was aggressive, established his scoring capabilities, executed the drive and dish well, but nothing he can do if the dish results in a brick. Offensively, he was good. Not great, didn't take over scoring, but between he and Shard (who I thought had an underrated game overall, loved the grit) it was working 1st half. Hedo wanted to be Mr. MIP, but couldn't muster the effort.

Defensively, Jameer struggled. Yes. But guess what: Chauncey Billups is an all-star. He has been Finals MVP. He is not a slouch. Jameer did a decent job at best, but let's not say he's a failure and is inept. This wasn't Janerro Pargo dropping 30 or something.

And as to the idea that we had such a long time to prepare, theoretically, yes, but we found out that we were playing the Pistons the same time they did. And we were rusty and in their house (3rd best home record in the NBA). I expected a loss here. A win would've been a HUGE statement. A loss says nothing. It is Game 2 that is the key.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#33 » by lovehoops01 » Sun May 4, 2008 7:27 am

Most of the guards in the league cannot guard Chauncey. I still don't think that was the main problem in Saturday's game -- though it would have helped if he could have scored more. You could say that for every player on the team Saturday. And I don't think that was all Jameer's fault. I think you just have to say that the Pistons are an excellent defensive team -- every player, even their bench players. They don't have to double anyone. And the Magic got most of their points this season off doubles on other players.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#34 » by aleZ » Sun May 4, 2008 7:50 am

ivDT wrote:you guys need to stop hating on 'meer.
he's one of the top 7 players on this team.

LOL pure gold :rofl: Gortat is a top 15 magic player in fact.

I agree with the OpeningPoster however, every single time we play the pistons, the backcourt shows why it's not in the same league with Shard, Turk and Dwight. Still a great team, but some true PGs and SGs would make Orlando a title contender.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#35 » by craig01 » Sun May 4, 2008 12:35 pm

Game two will be a different story.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#36 » by Jackattaq » Sun May 4, 2008 1:53 pm

TheRevTy wrote:Here's the thing with Jameer:

He played his game to perfection, or at least the theory of his game. He was aggressive, established his scoring capabilities, executed the drive and dish well, but nothing he can do if the dish results in a brick. Offensively, he was good. Not great, didn't take over scoring, but between he and Shard (who I thought had an underrated game overall, loved the grit) it was working 1st half. Hedo wanted to be Mr. MIP, but couldn't muster the effort.

Defensively, Jameer struggled. Yes. But guess what: Chauncey Billups is an all-star. He has been Finals MVP. He is not a slouch. Jameer did a decent job at best, but let's not say he's a failure and is inept. This wasn't Janerro Pargo dropping 30 or something.

And as to the idea that we had such a long time to prepare, theoretically, yes, but we found out that we were playing the Pistons the same time they did. And we were rusty and in their house (3rd best home record in the NBA). I expected a loss here. A win would've been a HUGE statement. A loss says nothing. It is Game 2 that is the key.

As far as Jameer goes, I think the Pistons have decided they don't mind him coming into the paint and trying to shoot over the Pistons' bigmen. They can at least alter alot of his shots. I think the Pistons are content to give up a few layups to Jameer than to have Dwight's man come over to block him and give Dwight dunks. From the Piston's perspective, who cares if Jameer gets 15 pts if you hold Dwight to 10 pts less from easy dunks and layups. Nelson will score some, it's inevitable, but limiting Dwight's point blank scoring chances are a big key to slowing the Magic.

Defensively, there isn't much Jameer can do to slow down Billups. If I'm Jameer, I'm trying to force Chauncey into shooting jumpers. Don't let him back me down inside. Don't let him get me in foul trouble, and I would definately go at him with a quickness advantage. Make Billups play defense. Nelson will struggle against Chauncey, he just needs to find ways to make the game harder for Billups.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,044

Post#37 » by p0peye » Sun May 4, 2008 2:08 pm

MoGrAdY wrote:Magic in 5.

Realistic approach, I concur.
cmor42180
Senior
And1: 7

Post#38 » by cmor42180 » Sun May 4, 2008 2:36 pm

how do most of you call yourselves magic fans? 1 loss and you are saying we are going to get swept, we suck theres no way we can win, blah, blah, blah....we can win this, the only thing they have on us is experience, last night dwight didnt even have a double double, he probably scored about 8-10 for detroit with the goaltends and we made stupid mistakes, we can win this i have no doubt, and it will go 6 or 7 games either win or lose it wont be a sweep
mfishy
Starter

Post#39 » by mfishy » Sun May 4, 2008 2:38 pm

The reason this match up sucks is Sheed and friends do not need to double Dwight and they seem to pull him out of the paint on defense as well.

They have a top 2 backcourt in the NBA and are obviously way better in this area BUT I would blame Dwight far more than Nelson. If he cannot force double teams and beat up on their guys a bit more, we are in trouble.

Here's what needs to happen for us to win:

1. Dwight has to force the double team OR score 25. If he is being guarded by one guy he simply HAS to win that battle.

2. Magic need to make some shots. Not even shoot great. Just hit 3's at even 35%!

3. Take advantage of the mismatches we have. When Sheed has Shard we need to get Lewis the ball. No way he doesn't walk by him. Same goes for anyone guarding turk not named Prince.

4. The good shooters need to make free throws. We know it's 50/50 with Dwight.

5. Eliminate the "unforced" turnovers.

Short summary - Dwight nees to play like a superstar and the shooters need to make 3's :)
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by BassMaster » Sun May 4, 2008 2:40 pm

cmor42180 wrote:how do most of you call yourselves magic fans? 1 loss and you are saying we are going to get swept, we suck there's no way we can win, blah, blah, blah....we can win this, the only thing they have on us is experience, last night Dwight didn't even have a double double, he probably scored about 8-10 for Detroit with the goaltender and we made stupid mistakes, we can win this i have no doubt, and it will go 6 or 7 games either win or lose it wont be a sweep

I agree one loss does not end the series and BTW I picked the Magic to win in 6.
The real Magic fans stick out the ones here when they win are in panic mold after just one game and they want to get rid of everyone but Nelson, Lewis and Howard because the want to get a new team what a joke. :crazy:
Instead lets cheer on the Magic without reservation :clap: :clap:

Return to Orlando Magic