ImageImageImageImage

OT: LOL - Dougie Collins to coach the Bulls

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#21 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 am

macdalejax wrote:Am I missing something or does it just seem odd that Jerry Reinsdorf would hire this guy again?

Why is it odd???

Did you know:

Two years later, the Bulls began their run of six championships in eight seasons. Reinsdorf, according to a source, sent Collins championship rings to acknowledge his work in getting the Bulls close.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ch...3413.story
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#22 » by SS_MagicMark » Fri May 30, 2008 10:43 am

Sam Vincent had the first triple-double.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#23 » by CourtsideTV » Fri May 30, 2008 1:09 pm

i met anthony bowie at chuck e cheeses when i was like 8 years old..his son was having a bday party and he got upset when a bunch of people started coming up to him. i didnt say anything..i just said hey and he said hey.
Work Hard
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#24 » by sportsrock37 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Is this really that big of an upgrade over Scott Skiles?
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#25 » by richboy » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Collins is a good coach. Teams improve year 1 with him. He not a long term coach but my bet he not planning on more than 2 or 3 years. Teams improve 15 games on average first year with Collins. If the Bulls do that then there a 50 win team next year.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#26 » by craig01 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:17 pm

The Bulls should have been close to 50 wins this year.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
macdalejax
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by macdalejax » Sat May 31, 2008 3:03 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why is it odd???

Did you know:

Two years later, the Bulls began their run of six championships in eight seasons. Reinsdorf, according to a source, sent Collins championship rings to acknowledge his work in getting the Bulls close.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ch...3413.story

Wow, no I didn't know that. Good article. Thanks
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#28 » by Kent » Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Can someone explain clearly what this Anthony Bowie situation is about?
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
macdalejax
Senior

Post#29 » by macdalejax » Sat May 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Kent wrote:Can someone explain clearly what this Anthony Bowie situation is about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Bowie

Bowie is most remembered for his triple-double, in which he had 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists. In the NBA, a triple-double is a rare accomplishment, and even more so for a reserve. In a game versus the Detroit Pistons, with the Magic up big, Bowie realized that he needed a rebound and an assist for the feat. He knew that as a bench player, there probably wouldn't be another opportunity. There were only about four seconds left in the game, and after rebounding a Detroit miss, Bowie immediately called timeout, much to the chagrin of coach Brian Hill. Hill walked away from the huddle in disgust, and let Bowie dictate the play to his teammates. Bowie proceeded to set up a play so that he can catch the inbounds pass, and pass it to a player in a position for the shot.

On the other side, Detroit Pistons coach Doug Collins was also animated, and sensing his opponents' apparent lack of class, decided to pull his players from the game. Since he could not actually bench the players, he ordered them to stand underneath the basket closest to the visitor's locker room. As Collins and his players looked on, Bowie took the inbounds pass, bounced it to a wide open David Vaughn near the basket, and he slammed it home for the tenth assist, and the triple-double. After the dunk, Bowie raced to the opposite end of the floor to apologize to Collins, but he was incredibly irate and wouldn't have any of it, and the Pistons rushed to the locker room.

During the post-game press conference, Brian Hill called the whole incident embarrassing and shameful. Anthony, on the other hand, was excited about the accomplishment.

- From Wikipedia

The Pistons were spitting nails and so was Brian Hill. Most of the magic players seemed pretty embarrassed about it but I'm not certain of that. I just remember watching the game on TV and hearing good old Chip Carey and The Goose cover it. They were pretty surprised by the whole deal and didn't really know what to say. It was hilarious.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#30 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:02 pm

Doug Collins will not become the next coach of the Chicago Bulls after a mutual agreement with team owner Jerry Reinsdorf, according to ESPN.com.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... for_bulls/
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by BassMaster » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:19 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:
Doug Collins will not become the next coach of the Chicago Bulls after a mutual agreement with team owner Jerry Reinsdorf, according to ESPN.com.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... for_bulls/

I kept on saying that Collins really didn't want to leave his current job. Why should he leave and face the stress of coaching again. He is very happy with what he is doing.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#32 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:24 pm

um, Collins was ready to take that job...it had nothing to do with his reservations...it was Resinsdorf who was unsure...as it states, right there, in the article...
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by BassMaster » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:34 pm

theTHIEF wrote:um, Collins was ready to take that job...it had nothing to do with his reservations...it was Resinsdorf who was unsure...as it states, right there, in the article...

I read the article Collins pulled out. And yes he seemed relieved both of them that is.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#34 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:56 pm

why did he become uncertain and "pull out"? there is an implied main idea in there...if Reisendorf would have green lighted the signing last week or the week before, this would be over already...
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#35 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 11:22 pm

I just wonder why Collins and/or his people called a Phoenix radio station to reveal he was getting the Bulls job, which the station -of course- immediately reported.

Why? Especially when he clearly did not have a job actually offered to him at the time.

Sounds like D'Antoni was too impatient & Collins was the opposite - too anxious.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#36 » by Kent » Sat Jun 7, 2008 1:17 am

macdalejax wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Pistons were spitting nails and so was Brian Hill. Most of the magic players seemed pretty embarrassed about it but I'm not certain of that. I just remember watching the game on TV and hearing good old Chip Carey and The Goose cover it. They were pretty surprised by the whole deal and didn't really know what to say. It was hilarious.

Thanks for answering my question.

I don't understand why David Vaughn took the shot. He was just as guilty it sounds like.

I guess Bowie was desperate for a triple-double and Vaughn a picture of a dunk for a basketball card.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by BassMaster » Sat Jun 7, 2008 3:36 am

Kent wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't understand why David Vaughn took the shot. He was just as guilty it sounds like.

I guess Bowie was desperate for a triple-double and Vaughn a picture of a dunk for a basketball card.
:offtopic:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#38 » by craig01 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:27 pm

Kent wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was at the game.

Everyone in the stands knew that the TD was close.

I am still shocked that it happened.......

But was even more shocked when the Pistons left the floor.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Post#39 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jun 9, 2008 6:31 pm

The Bulls have offered the job to get this.......Vinny del Negro........ :o
aka: prorl
The Spaz
Senior

Post#40 » by The Spaz » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:26 pm

prorl wrote:The Bulls have offered the job to get this.......Vinny del Negro........ :o

OMG....WOW :o

Return to Orlando Magic