ImageImageImageImage

OT: NBA love for Celtics

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Did Stern fix it for the Celtics to win this year?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 16

flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

OT: NBA love for Celtics 

Post#1 » by flyingvee » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:16 pm

This has been bugging me for a while and it seems as the playoffs progress and the Celtics continue to get breaks from the refs it makes it more obvious. DO most of you remember the promos the NBA was running all season, showing the Celtic fans celebrating obtaining Garnett as the coming of the savior and all the other sopts they ran, which seemed more like they would appear on local Boston stations than nationwide. Did anyone see any such apots for any other teams? Seems like they have been groomed since day one to win the finals. Why not any spots on defending champs the Spurs? (whom I dislike anyway lol) Or Dallas or Phoenix. It just seems to blatantly obvious and after yesterdays foul shot disparity, 38-10 it makes you really wonder.

I'm still wondering how with all the restraints of player movement these days with caps and salries matching, how a team can go from last place and NO talent othe rthan Pierce, and use the no -talent to get both Garnett and Allen plus sign good free agents and then later add PJ Brown and Cassell? I think Vince McMahon would like to hire soem of Sterns scrpit writers.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#2 » by MMFla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:33 pm

Don't forget the Lakers going from almost out of the playoffs, star player demanding a trade, to trading a hugh bust and loose change for Pau.

I don't think it's fixed but more like hyped for the Celtics to win. Two franchises that have a championship storied past playing in the Finals will bring more $ than the old Spurs-Pistons matchups. *Turiafs block in the 1st quarter I think, to me was a clean and good block(called foul).
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#3 » by magicman123 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:48 pm

i know the more aggressive team gets more of the calls, but man 28 more attempts?, i dont think anything is fixed in term of game wise, but it is no secret that stern and the nba is having their dream of a celtics-lakers finals..two teams that were given gifts this year, are in the finals..lets just hope in the offseason we can pull the keith bogans/josh smith trade :lol:
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#4 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:50 pm

I wouldnt say hes fixing it for boston to win

He set it up so that the 2 biggest markets would make it this far, and now that they have, he will make sure this will go 7 games, and probably only that game will be played fair

Either way, Stern has turned the NBA into a joke on level with the WWE
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,687

Post#5 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:52 pm

Stop blaming Stern, its annoying.
RawTalent
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by RawTalent » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:20 pm

i don't think there's a fixing at all. i just think the nba reffing has reached an unbelievable low in quality. every game of these playoffs have been poorly reffed. it really makes David Stern look terrible. But he's not going to get a ton of heat because the "legendary matchup" made it to the finals and they were both number 1 seeds. so it doesn't appear that anything is wrong.

For anyone to say the Celtics get preferential treatment didn't watch the Detroit series. that was just ridiculous.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#7 » by TheGlyde » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:06 pm

Yes, it's all rigged, always has been

Thats why one of the most popular and marketable NBA stars of this generation, Charles Barkley, was handed 5 NBA Championship rings by Stern.

That's why boring teams and boring players like the San Antonio Spurs and Tim Duncan never win the championship.

That's why the lottery was rigged so that huge stars like Tim Duncan and LeBron James would land in the huge markets of New York and LA.

All rigged I tell ya.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,419

Post#8 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:55 pm

I don't think it's rigged. I actually think the Lakers and Celtics just have the right people in management to continuously find ways to be dominant in every era. Heck, the Celtics have been gone what, 15 years now? It's not like they were trash for 2 years and then suddenly found a way, they've been struggling for a while.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#9 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:28 am

Soul wrote:Stop blaming Stern, its annoying.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#10 » by CourtsideTV » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 am

celtics are faker than the lakers.

i use to hate lakers..but this year they are fun to watch.
Work Hard
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Dome » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:03 am

Oh come on... The Celtics made a great trade to acquire at least 1 future hall of famer and won the most games out of any NBA team this year. They NBA is marketing them because of that, not the other way around. Suck it up, they're just a better team right now.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#12 » by aleZ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 am

TheGlyde wrote:All rigged I tell ya.

This is the kind of knee-jerk reaction ppl who live in a fantasy world always have. You gotta widen your views, pal.

the NBA's not ALL rigged, but it's mainly a business and, like all businesses, it's steered toward the higher profitability, whether by using the right reffing, or allowing lopsided trades. To think it's a fair officiated and regulated sport is like saying we live in a perfect world.

But LA has had his fair share of help this year, so they should be the first team to shut up.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Dome » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm

aleZ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This is the kind of knee-jerk reaction ppl who live in a fantasy world always have. You gotta widen your views, pal.

the NBA's not ALL rigged, but it's mainly a business and, like all businesses, it's steered toward the higher profitability, whether by using the right reffing, or allowing lopsided trades. To think it's a fair officiated and regulated sport is like saying we live in a perfect world.

But LA has had his fair share of help this year, so they should be the first team to shut up.

I think Glyde was just being sarcastic, actually. I guess that's where green font come in handy.. ;)
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#14 » by NEM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:28 pm

was it fixed for the bulls to get the first pick??? is the next dynasty the bulls??? will we make it to the finals and play houston???
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#15 » by craig01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:41 pm

The NBA is not fixed.

It is subjective though.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by TheGlyde » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 am

lol... if anyone read my post and comprehended it they would see that I couldn't possibly be serious...
Orlando Magic Historian

aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#17 » by aleZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:54 am

TheGlyde wrote:lol... if anyone read my post and comprehended it they would see that I couldn't possibly be serious...

Tell me if I'm wrong: your point is that the NBA is 100% fair to all teams and not rigged in any way, and you stated the opposite to hammer the point home.

If that's your point, world peace is already at hand, everyone's happy and a lot of pigs are flying around while we're talking.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by TheGlyde » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 am

Well, no, 100% fair is too great a number, there are alot of things in the NBA that are not fair, but claiming blatant rigging is just too much and just annoys me.

The lottery, for one, every year someone from some team that didn't win it claims it is rigged, I think it's just stupid or Lebron would have been a Knick and Duncan a Celtic.

So my point is for every example thrown out of the NBA being rigged or corrupt, there are 10 times as many examples of where things, if they were rigged, would have gone a different way.

The Donaghy revelations are disturbing, but the blaming of Stern is just old, no one man controls the outcome of an NBA game, or of NBA trades, he cannot just walk into Minnesota or Memphis and demand they trade Garnett and Gasol and have no-one in those franchises bat an eyelid

There are alot of off court factors that help certain teams continually roll to the top of the heap, such as endorsement contracts that double if a player plays in a certain market, but I think we can all agree New York is a huge market and if things were rigged they would have won 5-10 NBA titles by now.
Orlando Magic Historian

spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#19 » by spinedoc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Its not rigged, but rather partial re-enforcement. We see what we want, and when it happens to a certain group of teams we go ballistic. I don't like the "Sell-Tix", or the "Takers" either, and we hate it when the legacy teams get the better end of deals. Its annoying and I'm sure Stern is happy about the outcome, but hardly rigged by the league.
PimpORL
Head Coach

Post#20 » by PimpORL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Problem with rigging conspiracies:
1. It's illegal. There's a reason the WWE says "sports entertainment."
2. The NBA is made up of individual franchises. How much revenue a team makes depends on the ticket sales and the ticket sales depend on wins. If there was any suspicion, NBA owners would be able to take it to court.
3. You can't rig a jumpshot.
4. San Antonio, the most boring team in the NBA with one of the smallest markets wins year after year.

Also, Boston didn't just get Garnett and Ray Allen for nothing. They gave up some young talent. Even though Boston got much more in return it's understandable since Garnett and Allen both wanted to leave.

Return to Orlando Magic