ImageImageImageImage

Surprising coaching hires

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jamlando
Rookie
And1: 0

Surprising coaching hires 

Post#1 » by jamlando » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Pistons hire Michael Curry (exp. 1 yr as asst. coach)
Bulls hire Vinny Del Negro (no coaching experience)

I'm a little surprised at these hires. The Bulls have some leeway because they have a young, inexperienced team. It buys Paxson more time because low expectations will delay fans screaming for change.

As for the Pistons, for a team expected to compete for a championship every year, this move absolutely blows me away. I will reserve judgement because so far the only bad decision Dumars has made was drafting Darko. I'm sure we may start understanding this decision once teams are allowed to start making trades and free agency begins.

My personal opinion is that I suspect the Pistons are about to begin an overhaul & move their young guys into more prominent roles.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Dome » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 pm

I definitely see the Pistons make some moves this summer. Hiring Curry might've been part of that. Stuckey and Maxiell have both looked awsome all year and during the playoffs, and Amir Johnson has really shown he deserves more minutes and an improved role as well. I can see the Pistons move Wallace to clear up room for Maxiell and Johnson, and possibly move Billups to make room for Stuckey.

As for Del Negro, that really came out of nowhere. Time will tell what that'll turn out like, I guess. Paxon must really like Del Negro's philosophies about coaching. Whether or not he can translate it into success we have yet to see, obviously.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#3 » by NEM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 pm

well this pretty much means we'll be a in the top 2 next season...i doubt the pistons even make the playoffs if they trade away billups/wallace/prince and even if they do make the playoffs they won't have home court...the bulls will once again suck, and making the playoffs for them would be a great season
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,190

Post#4 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Add Sam Vincent last year. He had one year assistant experience with Dallas, thats it. Lasted one season.
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:33 pm

The Pistons have to make some changes.

At least in the beginning, Curry will have the players collective ear.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#6 » by laVal03 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm very surprised in the Del Negro hire. I mean I honestly think the bulls are a piece or 2 away. yea they are young but they have so much talent...add the 1st pick in the draft and they are scary

I just think a veteran coach even if it was Dougie Collins would have been much better
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#7 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:34 pm

i'd say Vinnie Del Negro, being a no name, is an easy option to walk away from if Paxson is finally able to put the team together and have them really perform again and suddenly discovers a new top tier coach becomes available.
macdalejax
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by macdalejax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 am

Curry has been groomed for this takeover (albeit not as long as intended). Del Negro always impressed me as a leader on the floor when he played. Hasn't Del Negro been an assistant for several years now?

Return to Orlando Magic