ImageImageImageImage

Agent Zero?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Toyman7777
Junior
And1: 1

Agent Zero? 

Post#1 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

The article says most likely he will return to Washington for the max, but that there are two darkhorses, the lakers and us. Interesting

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsi ... nue_1.html

2. Arenas is very close with Orlando GM Otis Smith from Smith's days with Golden State. With Howard, Lewis and Turkoglu, the Magic has pieces in place. The downside, other than taking less money, would be that Orlando is not a big market and I see Arenas wanting to go no smaller than DC.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#2 » by Devin 1L » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm

All we can give him is the MLE.

I don't care how close he is with Otis, there is no way in hell he takes that.

Edit: By the way, just to clarify, the article does not say that we are indeed darkhorses (as in Gilbert actually alluding to us being one), it was purely speculation on the writers part.

-A word on Gilbert Arenas, who filed the paperwork to opt out on Friday: Everything I can gather tells me that he will be in a Wizards uniform next season. I see the Wizards offering as much as it takes to keep him - yes, that means the max - and him taking it.

- That said, I see two darkhorses out there and I do mean darkhorses. 1. Arenas is notoriously quirky, he grew up in Los Angeles and loves the Lakers. Just throwing that out there. Obviously, he'd have to take way less to pull such a move but he'd also know that he'd make a ton of money back in marketing.
Toyman7777
Junior

Post#3 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Ya, I agree, I wouldn't think so either, I was just sharing the article.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#4 » by CourtsideTV » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

lol sign 1 year deal..you wont get injured..win a ring and continue on with max contract with the hawks.
Work Hard
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#5 » by TheRevTy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:28 pm

I honestly don't think Gilbert would go to LA and ride their coattails. He would hate to be called a bandwagoner. If he doesn't stay in DC, I think he would love to be the player that put this young up and coming team (Orlando) over the edge. He is, after all, a glory monger, and being in LA, he would be in Kobe's shadow. He would prefer to be Penny (his old favorite player) to Dwight's Shaq.

Plus, you have to figure without an agent, if Washington tries to low-ball him, he'll hear it first hand, and get fed up. If he had an agent, he would hear "I'm working on it." Then, angered by their lack of respect, he calls up an old friend, who is asleep by the phone...
PimpORL
Head Coach

Post#6 » by PimpORL » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:38 pm

No, we can give more than MLE. Sign-and-trade. We have the pieces and Dwight+Arenas=championship.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#7 » by spinedoc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Agent Zero, as in we have zero chance of getting him. There is virtually no chance we can trade for another max player. He'll stay with the Wiz.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#8 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:06 am

PimpORL wrote:No, we can give more than MLE. Sign-and-trade.

No, Washington can offer him more in a sign-and-trade, but that's not what we're talking about. We can only offer the MLE.

From the article:
1. Arenas is notoriously quirky, he grew up in Los Angeles and loves the Lakers. Just throwing that out there. Obviously, he'd have to take way less to pull such a move but he'd also know that he'd make a ton of money back in marketing.
2. Arenas is very close with Orlando GM Otis Smith from Smith's days with Golden State. With Howard, Lewis and Turkoglu, the Magic has pieces in place. The downside, other than taking less money, would be that Orlando is not a big market and I see Arenas wanting to go no smaller than DC.

With him opting out, all we can offer him is the MLE.

A sign-and-trade is whole different story.

We have the pieces and Dwight+Arenas=championship.

How so?

With a sign-and-trade -- Now you're talking about including another team, in other words, we'd have to send them players and they'd have to agree to take them.

In my opinion, Washington holds all the cards here, especially considering how well they played without him.

They can offer him the biggest contract, and they know damn well he isn't going to accept a MLE offer from Orlando.

If he wanted a sign-and-trade to Orlando, what are we going to offer -- a package of like seven players?

We have little to offer, and Washington would have little incentive to accept. He's not going to just walk and sacrifice big money, and if they want a sign and trade, it's not likely to be with Orlando.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,683

Post#9 » by SOUL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:09 am

JJ FOR ARENAS!
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#10 » by laVal03 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 am

there is no chance and quite frankly we need to add toughness and defense to this team NOT SCORING, there would not be enough balls to go around if we had Gilbert
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#11 » by magicman123 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 am

he opt out because he can, and he is selfish and wants more money (cant blame him for that), so we cant give him any money, he will not come here..let him stay in dc, they play better without him, give him the max
macdalejax
Senior

Post#12 » by macdalejax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:15 am

Call me crazy but I don't really want this guy on our team.
JTSUCF
Junior
And1: 2

Post#13 » by JTSUCF » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 am

The only way I could see the Magic getting Arenas, and this is a stretch, is basically pulling a Joe Smith move and guaranteeing to give Arenas the max, but not after 3 years but 4 years.

If I am interpretting point 11 correctly from the NBA Salary Cap FAQ

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Gilbert is currently a 6 year veteran (According to NBA.com), which means he is entitled to 25% of the Salary Cap as his first year salary. However, if he had waited a year he would have been entitled to 30% of the salary cap (If this is correct he could have made one of the biggest bone-headed moves in the league and would have been wise to pay the 4% to somebody to tell him this).

Now if he were to sign a 4 year deal with the Magic at the MLE, when his contract ended he would be a 10 year vet and could then sign a deal with a starting salary worth 35% of the cap. He would be taking a massive pay cut for a few years but then make $20 million a year during his early to mid 30's.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#14 » by SpaceCoastGator » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 am

Gilbert comes here for the full MLE max length, but with an opt out in 2010 when several teams will be clearing cap space and gunning for LeBron, Wade & Bosh...if not us, somebodies pays him then...if we make solid moves/pick(s) this year AND this unlikely scenario plays out...then next year we really could be in the champion mix...the opportunity to skip a step.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#15 » by NEM » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 am

if he says he wants to play here via sign and trade, we can arrange that...im sure he wouldn't mind 10 million a year which we could probably do somehow
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#16 » by EasternMagic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:40 am

macdalejax wrote:Call me crazy but I don't really want this guy on our team.

+1
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#17 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:35 am

macdalejax wrote:Call me crazy but I don't really want this guy on our team.

Your Crazy. . . :crazy:
Rccanes2311
Rookie

Post#18 » by Rccanes2311 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 am

EasternMagic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

+2 not enough shots to go around Arenas is the new Allen Iverson notice how Washington plays better without him.
magicfan04
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#19 » by magicfan04 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 am

nelson, battie, reddick, vazquez, 2 1sts and cash for arenas?

if arenas really wanted to play here badly and forced a trade that could be a possible trade scenario
During the Wizards' rout, a heckler yelled at new Knick Steve Francis, "Hey Stevie, Where are you going next?" Francis turned to the fan and quipped, "To the bank."
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#20 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:54 am

No one wants to play here badly enough to give up $7 million or more a year. Ya'll can stop dreaming about that one.

And don't fool yourselves. No, the Wizards don't play better without him when he's healthy. (Maybe Caron Butler does, oddly, but not the team as a whole.) Yes, they played better without him last season because when he did try to play, he wasn't healthy.

But their record was nowhere near as good last season as it was in the years he was healthy.

That would be one way that they might lose Arenas, though (I'm not saying to the Magic because I still don't see a way they could make that deal). Because I think there might have been times last season when maybe Eddie Jordan liked the way they played better without him, especially defensively. If the organization were to take the same tact that you guys are suggesting....that they can win without him, that he's not worth big money....I think Gilbert is just quirky enough that he might tell them where to shove that contract and sign with someone else who offered him big bucks. But if they're smart, they won't try that.

It's really odd that he intends to travel from June 30-July 15. That's when he should be working on his contract -- especially since he doesn't have an agent. That would suggest that he doesn't even intend to listen to other offers -- unless he knows he has other offers coming and they know how to get ahold of him.

Return to Orlando Magic