ImageImageImageImage

Agent Zero?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicfan04
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#21 » by magicfan04 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:02 am

i really dont think arenas will get a max contract after his injuries from last season, i think he expect to get something in the $12-14 million dollar range. something like 6yr/$80 million
During the Wizards' rout, a heckler yelled at new Knick Steve Francis, "Hey Stevie, Where are you going next?" Francis turned to the fan and quipped, "To the bank."
Rccanes2311
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Rccanes2311 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:10 am

lovehoops01 wrote:No one wants to play here badly enough to give up $7 million or more a year. Ya'll can stop dreaming about that one.

And don't fool yourselves. No, the Wizards don't play better without him when he's healthy. (Maybe Caron Butler does, oddly, but not the team as a whole.) Yes, they played better without him last season because when he did try to play, he wasn't healthy.

But their record was nowhere near as good last season as it was in the years he was healthy.

That would be one way that they might lose Arenas, though (I'm not saying to the Magic because I still don't see a way they could make that deal). Because I think there might have been times last season when maybe Eddie Jordan liked the way they played better without him, especially defensively. If the organization were to take the same tact that you guys are suggesting....that they can win without him, that he's not worth big money....I think Gilbert is just quirky enough that he might tell them where to shove that contract and sign with someone else who offered him big bucks. But if they're smart, they won't try that.

It's really odd that he intends to travel from June 30-July 15. That's when he should be working on his contract -- especially since he doesn't have an agent. That would suggest that he doesn't even intend to listen to other offers -- unless he knows he has other offers coming and they know how to get ahold of him.

Really

07-08 43-39 No Arenas

06-07 41-41 Arenas Healthy

05-06 42-40 Arenas healthy

Washington better not waste the Max on him. Go get a real PG who is a distributor like a Calderon to run their offense and resign Jamison. BAM they become a contender for the east crown.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#23 » by Kent » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:11 am

I'd rather have Hinrich.

Not hatin' on Jameer, but if you're trying to get another PG, start somewhere else.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#24 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:59 am

Rccanes2311 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Really

07-08 43-39 No Arenas

Washington better not waste the Max on him. Go get a real PG who is a distributor like a Calderon to run their offense and resign Jamison. BAM they become a contender for the east crown.

Wow! It always seemed like they were seeded too high to have a record that bad. I usually look that stuff up, but it seems like they always were at least No. 6 in the East playoffs.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#25 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:29 am

Really

07-08 43-39 No Arenas

Yeah. . but those records don't reflect everything. Back in 06-07 when Gilbert was 110%, at one point late in the regular season they were # 1 in the east. YES, A GILBERT ARENAS LED BALLCLUB! Their record went downhill when Gilbert & then Caron got hurt towards the end of the season. All this Washington is better without Gilbert crap is a bunch of b/s. Gilbert can be selfish, but let's face it. . .Gilbert is a balla! You cannot tell me that if you replace Gilbert with Jameer(minus battie & jj who didn't play anyway) that we would not be better & the series would have been totally different against the Pistons.
Rccanes2311
Rookie

Post#26 » by Rccanes2311 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:34 am

AgEnT50 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah. . but those records don't reflect everything. Back in 06-07 when Gilbert was 110%, at one point late in the regular season they were # 1 in the east. YES, A GILBERT ARENAS LED BALLCLUB! Their record went downhill when Gilbert & then Caron got hurt towards the end of the season. All this Washington is better without Gilbert crap is a bunch of b/s. Gilbert can be selfish, but let's face it. . .Gilbert is a balla! You cannot tell me that if you replace Gilbert with Jameer(minus battie & jj who didn't play anyway) that we would not be better & the series would have been totally different against the Pistons.

I'm going to say this one more time GILBERT ARENAS IS THE NEW ALLEN IVERSON. All stats but will never win a championship because of the way he plays. Unless he's on a team built like the one Iverson had when the played the Lakers when he was the focus of everything.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#27 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:02 am

I'm going to say this one more time GILBERT ARENAS IS THE NEW ALLEN IVERSON. All stats but will never win a championship because of the way he plays. Unless he's on a team built like the one Iverson had when the played the Lakers when he was the focus of everything.

:rofl: you can say it 50 more times, still isn't going to change the fact that Gilbert is a great player. Fact is. . .regardless of what some ppl may think, he would be an upgrade at our pg position. Agent0 >>>>>>>>>Jameer, Dooling, Arrwho

Reality is. . .chances are slim to none that he leaves the Wiz for O-Town

But to think he wouldn't upgrade this team is nuts :crazy:

People used to say that Kobe would never make the finals or even compete for a championship again....but hmmmm, I guess he isn't so selfish after all
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#28 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 am

I'm not saying that I disagree with you on that. But Iverson has been a pretty good NBA player. He did make a Finals. All I'm saying is that I don't think the Wizards are a better team without him. They played without him almost all season, and for a while there, it looked as if they would miss the playoffs. And Daniels isn't a bad point guard. I know Butler was hurt part of that time, too, but Butler always misses a chunk of the season with injuries.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#29 » by aleZ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am

Rccanes2311 wrote:I'm going to say this one more time GILBERT ARENAS IS THE NEW ALLEN IVERSON. All stats but will never win a championship because of the way he plays.

Arenas is a lot smarter than Iverson both on and off the court. He's never been in trouble outside of b-ball and he's not committed to losing teams for too long, he's the prototype "new" NBA player: only cares about money. He may never win a championship, but how many "greats" never got one single ring?

Btw, I feel like his new contract will make Shard look like a third world refugee 8)
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#30 » by crazytown » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am

Geez, you'd think of all the teams, Magic fans would know it's never a good idea to give a guy coming off an injury a big contract. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..

NO TO GILBERT :wavefinger:
PimpORL
Head Coach

Post#31 » by PimpORL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:34 pm

No, Washington can offer him more in a sign-and-trade, but that's not what we're talking about. We can only offer the MLE.

With him opting out, all we can offer him is the MLE.

A sign-and-trade is whole different story.

I know, I'm just saying there are other ways to get him here. Obviously him taking MLE is out of the question.

How so?

With a sign-and-trade -- Now you're talking about including another team, in other words, we'd have to send them players and they'd have to agree to take them.

In my opinion, Washington holds all the cards here, especially considering how well they played without him.

They can offer him the biggest contract, and they know damn well he isn't going to accept a MLE offer from Orlando.

If he wanted a sign-and-trade to Orlando, what are we going to offer -- a package of like seven players?

We have little to offer, and Washington would have little incentive to accept. He's not going to just walk and sacrifice big money, and if they want a sign and trade, it's not likely to be with Orlando.

I'm not saying it's likely. It's not likely at all, especially considering the type of GM Otis is.

We could get him. It just depends on how the Turkoglu situation works out. Obviously, Arenas is worth a lot more than Turkoglu, but a couple draft picks coupled with young talent could do it. Look at the Denver trade with the 76ers. Joe Smith, Andre Miller, and 2 1st rounders for Iverson.

The Arenas-Washington situation is already starting to look bad. They've stayed at mediocre and Arenas is definitely not the type of player that likes to lose.

edit - Nevermind, you're right, we don't have the pieces. There's no way we can get him seeing as he's opting out now and we can't trade our draft pick. But say we offered 1st round picks for the next 2 seasons, would we be able to do that?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#32 » by drsd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Arenas is the next Vince Carter: a big stat guy that does not make his team better.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#33 » by TheRevTy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Is Washington properly constructed to win a championship? No way. Is that Gilbert's fault? Nope.

Would a Gilbert-Shard-Dwight trio with defense at 2 and 4 be enough to win a championship? I certainly think so.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,543

Post#34 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Wiretap says we're interested. But we're not.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#35 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Wiretap says we're interested. But we're not.

No, it says could we be interested, and it references the same aforementioned Washington Post "Blog"-type entry, which was nothing more than pure speculation on the part of the writer.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#36 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Until he proves his knee is 100%, he isn't worth the max and any team that gives him that are retards.

Hell even at 100% he isn't worth the max. There is only 1 PG in the entire league I would give max money to right now and that would be Chris Paul. Arenas to me is a MLE type player at this point in his career. He hasn't proven **** in his career, except he can lose in the first round. Now his health is questionable and he still wants max money? HA!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards just let him go. They made the playoffs with out him and not signing him opens up a ton of cap space for future big name FAs that actually deserve max money.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#37 » by Max Power » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:59 pm

I'd say no to Arenas also. He's not a guy I'd trust a big contract with right now due to the fact he's hardly played in 2 years. He's probably not going to be the guy he was before he got hurt, at least not right away. Magic could use him at the 2 no question, but what would he do to Howards game? Hedo damn near ruined his progress by himself this last year.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#38 » by drsd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:There is only 1 PG in the entire league I would give max money to right now and that would be Chris Paul. Arenas to me is a MLE type player at this point in his career.

There were five PGs with an EFF above 20: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd. Looking at PER, 7 PGs were over 20: Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash, Deron Williams, Jose Calderon, T.J. Ford, and Tony Parker.

So, stat-wise AND age/health-wise, maybe only Deron Williams would also get Max money.

BTW: Nelson's PER was #16 for all PGs. He clearly is a mid-range quality at the starting PG slot. Replacing that with Arenas makes no sense for the salary bump and the loss of players that would result in the SnT.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#39 » by richboy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wow! It always seemed like they were seeded too high to have a record that bad. I usually look that stuff up, but it seems like they always were at least No. 6 in the East playoffs.

Remember they missed a ton of games from Caron Butler as well.

Washington would be better served trading Arenas to Golden State for Baron Davis. They would get someone that passes a ton more and is a much better defender. I would also consider Arenas to the Clippers from Brand. I don't think we could offer a good deal. Hedo and Jameer is the best we could offer. Which isn't horrible but Washington already has Butler and they could let Arenas go and potentially have cap space to sign someone else.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#40 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:14 am

Haha, Gilbert traded to the Warriors. Oh, the irony!

As for him not being worth the max, I believe there was MVP talk about him when the Wizards were leading the East last year. I could be mistaken.

Return to Orlando Magic