ImageImageImageImage

Agent Zero?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#41 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:39 am

[quote="richboy"]-= original quote snipped =-

Remember they missed a ton of games from Caron Butler as well.

Washington would be better served trading Arenas to Golden State for Baron Davis. They would get someone that passes a ton more and is a much better defender. I would also consider Arenas to the Clippers from Brand. I don't think we could offer a good deal. Hedo and Jameer is the best we could offer. Which isn't horrible but Washington already has Butler and they could let Arenas go and potentially have cap space to sign someone else.[/quote]

Butler has missed chunks of the past three seasons with injuries. You just have to figure that is standard operating procedure for him and the physical way he plays and figure it in to how you build your roster.
macdalejax
Senior
And1: 0

Post#42 » by macdalejax » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:22 am

If Shard can get a max deal then Agent 0 certainly will IMO. I'm not leery of the guy cuz I don't think he's good enough. I just think it would be comparable to a combination of the Grant Hill signing and the Dallas-New Jersey trade this season;
First - He's injury prone.
Second - We'd more than likely have to give up too much to get him which would negate our ability to win a ring.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#43 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:37 am

This is actually in response to the question "Why am I reading this on Wiretap?"

First of all, Arenas has no agent. Second of all, from everything I've read, Otis and Gilbert were extremely close in GS. Otis actually served as Gil's mentor/assistant. Third, the guy's job is to write articles. If he said "Yeah, the most interesting sports happening in DC right now is Gilbert Arenas opting out, but he'll be back. End of story" he'd be out of a job. However, I would agree that Orlando and LA (the Clippers moreso than the Lakers) are the most likely destination IF Gilbert leaves, which is highly doubtful.

If negotiations sour, which they almost undoubtedly will, Gil might just take his ball and leave. Why will negotiations sour? Gilbert Arenas loves himself. Thinks he deserves the max. And, talent-wise and PR-wise, I'd have to agree. Trouble is, Washington is poorly constructed to have a scoring PG. They have a scoring PF and a two-way SF. Other than Arenas and maybe Deshawn, they have a worker attitude. Gilbert has a have fun while working attitude. Deshawn has a no work, smoke a joint attitude, but that is beside the point.

What does this all add up to? Washington may not offer the max. In fact, their first offer will probably be mighty low. Gil has no negotiation experience, so maybe that first offer will shock him and anger him. If he had an agent, he most likely wouldn't even hear that offer. The agent would recognize that Washington can get them both (Gil and agent) the most money, and thus would not want to deter his client from that employer. You see what I'm getting at?

Perhaps Agent Zero (certainly gives that nickname a new meaning...) gives his old pal Otis a call. Why Otis and not Mitch Kupchak? The Lakers are already good. Gilbert would get no glory in joining them. He comes to Orlando, he becomes KG in Boston: the superstar that pushed them over the edge. He goes to the Lakers and he becomes Gary Payton on the Heat.

That being said, will this happen? Doubtful. But can it? Sure, and THAT is why this reporter wrote it. As for why it made Wiretap, well, how many times do you want to read about Paul Pierce crying?
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#44 » by richboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:25 am

I do think there is a chance that Washington offers him less than what he hoping. Obviously he is hoping for the max. Even if he 85% of what he was if Rashard is worth the max Arenas definitely has a case. If Washington offers him less than the max then I could see him wanting out. I would not be surprised if the Wiz offered him less just so he would push for a sign and trade. I doubt he is taking any MLE offers. He would look foolish opting out and then taking the MLE. If Arenas was to bolt a domino effect could happen. Other teams could be under the cap if they loose free agents including Washington, Golden State, and the Clippers.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#45 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:02 am

To get far enough under the cap to get appreciably better, the Wizards would have to decide that they didn't want either Jamison or Arenas back. With Gil but without Jamison, they are at $51 million. Golden State has a few free agents of their own to deal with but could get far enough under if they didn't pay either Ellis or Biedrins much or either or both of them leave. If Maggette leaves, the Clips are about $10 million under the cap. Brand already has said he won't leave.
PimpORL
Head Coach

Post#46 » by PimpORL » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:Until he proves his knee is 100%, he isn't worth the max and any team that gives him that are retards.

Hell even at 100% he isn't worth the max. There is only 1 PG in the entire league I would give max money to right now and that would be Chris Paul. Arenas to me is a MLE type player at this point in his career. He hasn't proven **** in his career, except he can lose in the first round. Now his health is questionable and he still wants max money? HA!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards just let him go. They made the playoffs with out him and not signing him opens up a ton of cap space for future big name FAs that actually deserve max money.

:banghead:
Wow.

Oh and by the way, he made the 2nd round in 04-05.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#47 » by doct3r dr3 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#48 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:35 am

Zomg.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#49 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:40 am

well he would help out our free throw percentage
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#50 » by TheRevTy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Yo quiero.

Except those won't be our jerseys next year, but who is counting.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#51 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:Zomg.

I know ...

Dr3 is still around! :clap:
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#52 » by richboy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:To get far enough under the cap to get appreciably better, the Wizards would have to decide that they didn't want either Jamison or Arenas back. With Gil but without Jamison, they are at $51 million. Golden State has a few free agents of their own to deal with but could get far enough under if they didn't pay either Ellis or Biedrins much or either or both of them leave. If Maggette leaves, the Clips are about $10 million under the cap. Brand already has said he won't leave.

Some of that depends on how much they pay Jamison. Those will be interesting negotiations. I wouldn't pay Jamison more than 11 per year. I know he be upset with that number. He probably point right at the Rashard contract and laugh at my offer. IMO he should get exactly what Caron Butler is being paid next year. If you paid him about 9 first year you might be able to get into talks with some decent free agents. Depending on what the salary cap number is. Do a little "creative financing" perhaps you could sign a even better one.

Return to Orlando Magic