ImageImageImageImage

Bakersfield Cali now Magic's NBDL affiliate

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Bakersfield Cali now Magic's NBDL affiliate 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 4047.story

The Magic have switched their Development League affiliation to the team in Bakersfield, Calif., sharing it now with the Golden State Warriors. Both Marcin Gortat and James Augustine spent time there last season.

LMAO why is our NBDL affiliate on the west coast as far as u could possibly get? NBA doesnt respect the Magic lol.
aka: prorl
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#2 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 pm

I saw that too and was sooooo confused. Not to mention...look at how they did as a team last year. Eeeeeesh.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#3 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Was this the league's decision or ours?
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Tulsa? Bakersfield? Fort Wayne? Man, these are some crappy cities. They really don't want D-Leaguers to enjoy life, do they? Can't they have a team in Tampa or Jacksonville? There isn't even a team in St. Louis!
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#5 » by NEM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm

i think they should get a team in jacksonville or tampa and have miami and orlando affiliated with them....they should changge the d-league format and have 1 or 2 teams (depending on how many nba teams are in that state) in each state...like california would have 2 teams and texas and lousiana would share a team, every other state would have it's own affiliate
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#6 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:06 pm

It is really a dumb system. So let's say we send JJ to the D-League. How are we going to watch his progress? Send a coach to Bakersfield?! Watching video of it isn't the same.

Besides, basketball isn't baseball. In baseball, if you send a guy to the minor leagues, then he can get better because baseball is individual. You field a grounder, catch a ball, hit the ball. Doesn't matter what your team is like. In basketball, it is all relative. Say we send JJ down to the D-League. Odds are, he becomes the best player on that team. If it is the coaches job to win, as I assume it is, he will feed JJ the ball constantly. Then, when JJ comes back to Orlando, he has no clue how to fit in by being a fourth option. Minor leagues simply don't work in basketball.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Post#7 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:37 pm

TheRevTy wrote:It is really a dumb system. So let's say we send JJ to the D-League. How are we going to watch his progress? Send a coach to Bakersfield?! Watching video of it isn't the same.

Besides, basketball isn't baseball. In baseball, if you send a guy to the minor leagues, then he can get better because baseball is individual. You field a grounder, catch a ball, hit the ball. Doesn't matter what your team is like. In basketball, it is all relative. Say we send JJ down to the D-League. Odds are, he becomes the best player on that team. If it is the coaches job to win, as I assume it is, he will feed JJ the ball constantly. Then, when JJ comes back to Orlando, he has no clue how to fit in by being a fourth option. Minor leagues simply don't work in basketball.

Its about confidence. Its such a big part of sports. Sending a young guy to the D-league to beat up on scrubs and get his self esteem up can be huge so that when he comes back to the big league team he has confidence. Also getting some actual game time can be better than just practicing and not playing games. I think minor leagues farm teams in basketball can work, not to the extent of baseball but it can work . The problem with the current NBA system minor league system is the conflict of interest. When you got pro teams sharing D-league teams it simply wont work right, too much conflict of interest. Right now the NBA teams have little control on how their assigned players get used and treated. If each team had their own farm team it would be far more effective because they can control how they operate. That could be something to look at in the future. You already got the Lakers and Spurs buying Dleague teams so they must think its benefitial.
aka: prorl
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#8 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 pm

prorl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Its about confidence. Its such a big part of sports. Sending a young guy to the D-league to beat up on scrubs and get his self esteem up can be huge so that when he comes back to the big league team he has confidence. Also getting some actual game time can be better than just practicing and not playing games. I think minor leagues farm teams in basketball can work, not to the extent of baseball but it can work . The problem with the current NBA system minor league system is the conflict of interest. When you got pro teams sharing D-league teams it simply wont work right, too much conflict of interest. If each team had their own farm team it would be far more effective.

I agree with the bolded part, but I also agree with TheRevTy.

Basically, the problem at this point in time is that the NBA minor league system is still in it
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#9 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:47 pm

prorl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Its about confidence. Its such a big part of sports. Sending a young guy to the D-league to beat up on scrubs and get his self esteem up can be huge so that when he comes back to the big league team he has confidence. Also getting some actual game time can be better than just practicing and not playing games. I think minor leagues farm teams in basketball can work, not to the extent of baseball but it can work . The problem with the current NBA system minor league system is the conflict of interest. When you got pro teams sharing D-league teams it simply wont work right, too much conflict of interest. Right now the NBA teams have little control on how their assigned players get used and treated. If each team had their own farm team it would be far more effective because they can control how they operate. That could be something to look at in the future. You already got the Lakers and Spurs buying Dleague teams so they must think its benefitial.

Confidence is a big part of it, but Rev hit it on the head. In baseball, a line drive by Derek Jeter is going to be pretty much the same as a line drive by a scrub, so you can learn the game, figure out how to field the ball, hone your instincts. In the NBA, a shot by Kobe Bryant is not even comparable to a shot by a scrub, so guarding a scrub is not going to teach you anything about guarding Kobe Bryant. Individual talent in basketball is a hell of a lot more diverse than individual talent in baseball.
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#10 » by Orange Ave. » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Jam ... Worst name and logo ever.
Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#11 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:15 pm

TheRevTy wrote:Tulsa? Bakersfield? Fort Wayne? Man, these are some crappy cities. They really don't want D-Leaguers to enjoy life, do they? Can't they have a team in Tampa or Jacksonville? There isn't even a team in St. Louis!

I actually have a friend who lives in Fort Wayne and he tells me they get pretty respectable turnouts. Fort Wayne is actually a big sports town.

Return to Orlando Magic