ImageImageImageImage

What if...?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

What if...? 

Post#1 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:26 am

My friends and I were having a discussion about
DMannOC
Senior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by DMannOC » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:54 am

IMO

Our current team>your "what if" team

I think your team would run into a lot of scoring issues like our team a couple years ago had. Also i think Shard>>>>>Bynum for now and the next few years at least. Also Bynum isnt the type of player we need around D12. I think if we did have Bynum we might have pulled the trigger on some sort of J. O'neal trade which also i dont think would have worked out well with his injuries... My head hurts from thinking about all the "what ifs" that come from this one small change but the moral of the story is i really see us in the Finals within the next 2 years and i dont think your "what if" team is a finals contender as is, at least not within the next few years. Too many questions with Bynum still... would we score enough with our main scoring threats being Hedo, D12, and Meer... Who is gonna guard Billups and could Howard defend PFs who could really spread the floor... Moral of the story "i like our team" - Otis Smith
Rccanes2311
Rookie

Post#3 » by Rccanes2311 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:23 am

DMannOC wrote:IMO

Our current team>your "what if" team

I think your team would run into a lot of scoring issues like our team a couple years ago had. Also i think Shard>>>>>Bynum for now and the next few years at least. Also Bynum isnt the type of player we need around D12. I think if we did have Bynum we might have pulled the trigger on some sort of J. O'neal trade which also i dont think would have worked out well with his injuries... My head hurts from thinking about all the "what ifs" that come from this one small change but the moral of the story is i really see us in the Finals within the next 2 years and i dont think your "what if" team is a finals contender as is, at least not within the next few years. Too many questions with Bynum still... would we score enough with our main scoring threats being Hedo, D12, and Meer... Who is gonna guard Billups and could Howard defend PFs who could really spread the floor... Moral of the story "i like our team" - Otis Smith

I want what your smoking
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#4 » by drsd » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:22 am

The WHAT IFs should really focus on the other players the Magic could have drafted. So ...

What if:
At #12, the Clippers drafted Yaroslav Korolev. As the played has been waived, LA got less value at #12 than the Magic at #11. No press on this even though it's a worse situation! This guy spells Bust with a Big B. Magic fans didn't really talk about this Russian kid though.

But what did the fans want?

Sean May was discussed. Selected at #13 by the Babycats, one can only conclude that he was a poor pick. Even if he heals from the dreaded "knee surgery," he will probably not be resigned by the Babycats. A wasted pick.

Rashad McCants was discussed. Selected at #14 by the Timber-puppies, he has also seen the injury bug. But last season, he might have started to hit his stride. Not really a WHAT IF guy for the Magic. But maybe not a bust either.

Antoine Wright was discussed. Selected at #15 by the Nets, and already shipped off, he has evolved into a solid deep bench player. At #15 that's a bit below expectation. Still, with an evolving jumper, he still has some upside to get to a Bogans-level of quality. Not really a WHAT IF guy.

Joey Graham was discussed. Selected at #16 by the Raptors, one can only conclude that he has not been value for his pick.

Danny Granger was discussed. Selected at #17 by the Pacers, this kids proved himself as a steal! A team guy and a threat to score 20 ppg some season. Very nice! And a WHAT IF!

Gerald Green, Hakim Warrick, Jarrett Jack, and Johan Petro were also discussed. No are WHAT IF guys.

David Lee at #30 is a WHAT IF guy, but there was no buzz at all in Orlando.

So, after the #10 selection of Andrew Bynum, there were a lot more busts than WHAT IFs. The 2005 draft was top heavy, but late-lottery thin. The Magic might have drafted Joey Graham over Danny Granger anyhow, so we would all still be whining.

And that's the draft. A serious of WHAT IFs that have evolved into bench players. And two-European lottery selections that have yet to see the court.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Post#5 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:21 pm

If i remember right, none of us had much interest in Bynum. I really think its unlikely we take him if he was available. Remember we had just drafted Dwight the year before, i dont think the Magic would draft a 17 year old project the next year. I also see other flaws with your scenario. The Magic would not extend Bynum last summer, they would still sign a big time free agent since it was the only time there would be cap space available, Lewis most likely.
aka: prorl
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#6 » by SS_MagicMark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:13 pm

They still would've drafted Vazquez.
PimpORL
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by PimpORL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 pm

For the most part, I agree with DMann.
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#8 » by laVal03 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 pm

You can make all the "what if's" you want and at the end of the day everything is the same.
I like to look pass the mistakes and decisions and look forward to what is to come for Orlando Magic basketball

"what if's" are a waste of time if u ask me

and I don't think we would have taken Bynum anyway

and why would we be in the conf. finals this year? Bynum has been injured and we don't have Rashard?? oh yeah what if Bynum didn't get injured and averaged a 30/20
DMannOC
Senior

Post#9 » by DMannOC » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Rccanes2311 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I want what your smoking

Way to take some time and really explain and justify your opinion.... :clap:
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:54 pm

prorl wrote: I also see other flaws with your scenario. The Magic would not extend Bynum last summer, they would still sign a big time free agent since it was the only time there would be cap space available, Lewis most likely.
At the expense of losing their future? I disagree with that; I think they would have passed at signing a big time free agent last summer.

I agree with your other part, though, about not having much interest in Bynum. It's just a retrospect thing; there are bound to be a million other retrospects, such as if the Magic didn't trade away Chris Webber, etc, but I felt this one was a good parallel to the future. To me, what if's are fun, allowing you to really think and take a look at what your team has done these past few years.

I think the Magic have a good future, but I don't think its as bright as some of you make it out to be. Lewis' contract will choke the team in 2010 and his age is against him, Jameer has days where he's great and days where he's mediocre at best, and Dwight can't get all of the rebounds by himself. This was just a way to compare and contrast our situation now for what, in a dream world, it could be.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:02 pm

laVal03 wrote:"what if's" are a waste of time if u ask me

I respectfully disagree with that. I think they make you think and look at things, and to me, that's entertaining. Miniscule what if's such as what if the guy in the front row had eaten popcorn instead of a hot dog are stupid, yes, but big ones like this are fun, I think.

and I don't think we would have taken Bynum anyway

I agree, we wouldn't have.

and why would we be in the conf. finals this year? Bynum has been injured and we don't have Rashard?? oh yeah what if Bynum didn't get injured and averaged a 30/20

Well, no offense, but Bynum's injury was a fluke; if he wasn't playing for the Lakers, it might not have happened. It's not like it was a natrual injury, he landed on some guy's foot. Change up the circumstances, and he might not get injured. And guy, its a what if as it is, I meant an injury free Bynum would have gotten us to the Con. finals.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Post#12 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:47 pm

Jersey Generals wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

At the expense of losing their future? I disagree with that; I think they would have passed at signing a big time free agent last summer.

The Magic would have passed up their only summer with big cap space and sign no one? I think not.
aka: prorl
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#13 » by AgEnT50 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27 pm

SS_MagicMark wrote:They still would've drafted Vazquez.

:nod:
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#14 » by magicman123 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:46 am

what if we took emeka over dwight? hello lottery...
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#15 » by AgEnT50 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 am

magicman123 wrote:what if we took emeka over dwight? hello lottery...

Oh man. . .can you even imagine :noway:
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#16 » by SpaceCoastGator » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:53 am

Lots of 'what if's'...I still think it more entertaining to consider what if we kept T-Mac and hadn't included Anderson V. along with Gooden for Battie. Let that core (D12, T-Mac, Hedo, Jameer, Battie and Crazy Hair) grow together along with picking up a few additional pieces.
DMannOC
Senior

Post#17 » by DMannOC » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:24 am

Hmmmm... what if my grandmother had wheels?...

Return to Orlando Magic